New but Old Way to Do Classes for 3.5E and Pathfinder - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Feedback & User Resources > Gaming Advice > DM Screen > Houserules and Custom Options
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 12-20-2016, 03:56 PM
Nutter Extraordinaire

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1763
DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker
New but Old Way to Do Classes for 3.5E and Pathfinder

Okay this is a different way to do classes that are made to by more dynamic in nature. I mean have you ever wanted to create a character concept but there does not seem to be a class that reflects it properly -- perhaps you need to swap in this or multi-class with that or design your own from scratch that you hope will get accepted. Well this does away with all that -- in fact it pretty much does away with multi-classing as well "specialized" classes altogether. You simply have have 9 base classes that you then build anything and everything from.

Addendum : Interest has been shown and I will catalog the Posts here and in the rest of the Thread Series so that folks can navigate easily

Post Catalog

1) New but Old Way to Do Classes for 3.5E and Pathfinder
2) 3.5E/Pathfinder Stage 1
3) 3.5E/Pathfinder Stage 2
4) 3.5E/Pathfinder Stage 3
5) 3.5E/Pathfinder Stage 4

Last edited by DeJoker; 01-26-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:13 PM
*woof*

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6699
jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven
There are several "class construction" methods out there for both building a whole class or buying abilities as you level (d20 version of White Wolf or Shadowrun)

Those would be good for balance comparison.

-me
Old 12-27-2016, 03:15 PM
Nutter Extraordinaire

Tools
User Statistics
DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker
Oh I have already had it play tested quite a bit and it works just fine. Further I can use my rules to create a more static class out of a fully generic class to make pretty much all the base classes showing that they are balanced with the original ruleset from whence they came. So these 9 generic base classes used along with the Feat List can be used to create just about anything a player would want to play and I have used it numerous times to do just that.

Now I grant you perhaps there are similar concepts out there now and that is great just offered to share mine for free.

Last edited by DeJoker; 12-28-2016 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:41 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3701
Peachyco Peachyco Peachyco Peachyco Peachyco Peachyco Peachyco Peachyco Peachyco Peachyco Peachyco
I've done something similar with my tabletop homebrew, which mixes D&D5E and Fantasy AGE. Mine doesn't have any classes at all. Everyone gets the basic chassis, and adds to that chassis as they see fit by getting what talents and powers they wish to have.

Basically, everyone has the same base Health progression, the same Proficiency progression, and the same amount of Character Points. Now, they have the freedom to spend their Character Points on whatever talents, abilities, or powers they wish.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:24 PM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 65642
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
I don't know what your idea entails, but Gath introduced me to a system (his? semi-official? someone else's???) that allowed you to start as any basic class, and then, as you leveled, add features of other classes at some pre-determined "buy".

I don't remember it at the moment, but it allowed you to pick up the animal companion from druid, if you wanted, and the sneak attack from the rogue, as you progressed. You couldn't do them all, and you couldn't progress everything at once (balance issues), but it allowed a lot of flexibility.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:27 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3701
Peachyco Peachyco Peachyco Peachyco Peachyco Peachyco Peachyco Peachyco Peachyco Peachyco Peachyco
The Savage Worlds System was actually what primarily inspired my design. It's a classless system that allows you to build your character exactly as you imagine him/her to be.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:03 AM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 36948
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
This site's 3.5e SRD does have the Unearthed Arcana material, which provides Generic Classes should you want some works to make comparisons with.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:08 PM
Nutter Extraordinaire

Tools
User Statistics
Like I said I am sure there are lots of other methods all I was trying to determine was if there was any interest in seeing one that you have not seen before.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:14 PM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
I think there's always interest in seeing new things...

just look at the responses you got to asking! tons of interest, and you haven't even shown the goodies yet!
Old 12-28-2016, 06:34 PM
Nutter Extraordinaire

Tools
User Statistics
Well you never know so okay I will get to work on posting the system for all
Old 12-28-2016, 10:25 PM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
'Tis easier to ask forgiveness than ask permission...

Old 12-29-2016, 12:36 PM
Nutter Extraordinaire

Tools
User Statistics
By the way is there a way to create a thread that has tabs to it -- or do I just need to create a thread and post several placeholders to put all the information in at the beginning ?
Old 01-05-2017, 01:54 PM
Nutter Extraordinaire

Tools
User Statistics
Stage 1 Posted -- see the first post of this thread
Old 01-05-2017, 02:49 PM
Fledgeling Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4565
Zany Zany Zany Zany Zany Zany Zany Zany Zany Zany Zany
An interesting idea for character creation, looking forward to Stage 2.

In my search to make stronger solo characters I recently came across this page tucked away in the small corner of Fan labs on the Pathfinder PFSRD. It's not complete and it shouldn't be confused with the standard Pathfinder Gestalt build (which was what took me to the page) but it does suggest a lot of flexibility in character creation.
As I say it's by no means complete, for example I see no mention of familiars or animals companions but it is an interesting concept, a little like the race builder but for classes.

I just thought it may interest you or perhaps someone else.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:35 PM
Nutter Extraordinaire

Tools
User Statistics
Stage 2 Posted -- see the first post of this thread