Game Thread Chapter 1: A Rock and a Hard Place. - Page 5 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > The Wandering And The Lost
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #61  
Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 03:00 PM
hafrogman's Avatar
hafrogman hafrogman is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 2nd, 2021
RPXP: 11270
hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman
Posts: 2,475
Baruuk Talonface
right-aligned image
Baruuk shook his head a little in confusion and stuck one meaty finger deep inside his ear, trying to dislodge uncounted days worth of detritus. Was it just him, or was Pilfer beginning to make sense? The bugbear scowled and kept his thoughts to himself for the moment. He had to admit a certain fondness for Gristle... but perhaps there was such a thing as too many kobolds.

He grunted and tucked his 'yarkle' stone into his belt pouch, before waving a farwell to Pilfer's retreating back. He looked with some trepidation at the path ahead. He looked around at the others and began speaking slowly, hesitantly, somewhat unused to asserting himself so boldly. "We all share the same sense of urgency, but there is little sense is rushing headlong into danger. The missing kobolds combined with the... foreboding this path exudes... There may simply be some beast dwelling in this cavern, or there may be something darker, malicious spirits or curses..."

Much of his little speech was drowned out by Harp Strum's sudden exultation at the sight of shining blue crystals and the antics that ensued. Just like that she was gone, and he was left there feeling like a fool. "We should proceed with caution." He finished quietly, almost silently to himself, his shoulders slumping forward.

Without another word, he took up his bow once more and started taking his position, ready for the march below.

OOC
 

 
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 03:25 PM
Pseudonymous's Avatar
Pseudonymous Pseudonymous is online now
Pseudodragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 2nd, 2021
RPXP: 7508
Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous
Posts: 2,101
Gristle
right-aligned image
 

 

"Oh yes," Gristle said, nodding furiously. Baruuk said many big words, but Gristle felt like he got the general gist of things: Something something danger be careful something something. Yeah. "You Surfacey-types don't know much about Underground, so you should be careful. And this is a really weird Underground. Normally Underground has more standing water and bricks and sewer gators. Less glowy-blue rocks. They are very nice glowy-blue rocks though!" He added the last bit for the benefit of Harp Strum, who was apparently so happy about the glowy-blue rocks that she made a Happy Singing Noise about sunshine (At least, Gristle THOUGHT it was a Happy Noise. Why would sunshine mean happiness?? Sunshine was bright and unnatural and hurt Gristle's eyes. That doesn't seem very happy. Surface-folks were weird).

By now, Harp Strum had run ahead of the group to scout the cave. Harp Strum was very smart and clever! Maybe she'd find the other kobolds. Pilfer had left, so that brought the kobold count down to one. And there was no such thing as too many kobolds! If kobolds were alive in a cave, then it's a sure sign that the cave is liveable. If kobolds were dead in a cave, then it's probably a bad cave. Send in more kobolds just to be sure.

Gristle was now the only kobold here, so it was his job to make sure he was the best Second Kobold To Enter A Cave To Double Check If It's Deadly that he could be. Wow, a promotion to Second Kobold to Enter a Cave-- so soon after joining Ydraixxl's camp, too! Things were looking up for little Gristle.

Staying close to the group, Perception Check:
Dice Roll:
d20+1 (5)+1 Total = 6
he scanned the cave with oversized eyes.


ActionsPerception check on the room they're currently in. Grand total of 6.
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus.

Last edited by Pseudonymous; Feb 3rd, 2021 at 03:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old Feb 4th, 2021, 08:50 AM
jbear's Avatar
jbear jbear is offline
Great Wyrm
Outplay 2018  

Hall of Fame DM 2017
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 1st, 2021
RPXP: 14774
jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear
Posts: 9,007
An'mal knew the way. But the way was full of rocks... not surprising really. Rocks had been the theme of day. Before the hobbling kobold arrived An'mal most certainly had not stood with arms folded in the face of the latest obstacle. There was only one thing to do... rock on. And so An'mal had begun the arduous task of rocking the passageway... Of course, not being the brightest tool in the shed, An'mal had moved all the wrong rocks.

The bugbear watched impassively as the group arrived behind him and Pilfer pointed out the proper rock to haul. He rubbed his chin as Baruuk strolled up and heaved the right rock out of the way with a single effort. An'mal looked at the considerable pile of rocks he had shifted out of the way out of the corner of his eye, but made no comment. Instead, he wiped the sweat dripping from his brow, smoothed his dusty hair back into perfection, gathered his gear and proceed to crawl into the narrow hole.

To say that the passage through to the crystal chamber was unpleasant for An'mal would be a gross understatement. In the dark, the rocks wrapping around him, his breath hot in his own face, struggling to progress forward with his massive frame, his glaive catching at every twist and turn, An'mal was terrified. He could feel the fear grip him like a hand on his neck, strangling his ability to think. All he could do to fight the fear was to allow his rage to grow like a red blaze until it clouded his eyes. He didn't hear his own growling, he would have no recollection of his coarse curses; all An'mal would recall was the triumphant roar that emerged from his soul, blasting from his snarling maw with elation as he came out into the open chamber... or at least he would recall its echo as it bounced between the crystals and his rage subsided.

By the time he came fully to his senses the rest of the group had emerged beside him. The humorous kenku seemed to be hugging a crystal and singing some sweet moving melody that warmed the heart. An'mal blinked, still disorientated. Refocusing his eyes, Harp Strum had suddenly raced off to scout the dark. Drip! Animal looked up as he began to follow Harp Strum's path. Drip! Water down here? Drip! Hmmm... or something more sinister... Drip! The hobbler seemed concerned about the danger of this path befor he had stuffed the magic rock in his hand and An'mal had tucked it down the front of his pants. Drip!

Best not to throw the magic rock. Just a normal rock would do... Drip! An'mal picked up a fist sized rock in one hand, taking his glaive in the other. Drip! And then he tossed the rock up at the roof of the cave, searching for the slightest signs of movement as his infrared vision began to piece the deepest shadows.
__________________
"Kill them all!"
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old Feb 5th, 2021, 11:27 AM
Insacrum's Avatar
Insacrum Insacrum is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 2nd, 2021
RPXP: 11033
Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum
Posts: 12,484
Day 1

Getting through the hole in the wall had taken some time – especially for the larger folk – but standing on the other side gave them a renewed purpose. Get to Yddraixl!

Unfortunately, distractions abounded.

Harp Strum found herself digging out a shining blue crystals, heedless of the talk, the concerns, or even the locations of others (Ayaga made a good ladder). Ayaga and Baruuk were trying to determine the wheres and hows of their location. An'mal on the otherhand wasn't thinking about where they were, but was more concerned with what might attack and kill him. Gristle was the calmest, seeing another change to show the superiour nature of the Kobold mindset when dealing with things underground.

Pilfer kept going on about the danger of taking this path, but from the initial steps on it there weren't any obvious threats to be found. The blue glow from the crystals was new, sure, and it was puzzling to Ayaga that two paths could be so close in proximity yet so different. It must have been a natural path beneath the mountains that the ruins of Yddraixl had been unknowingly built alongside.

As Harp Strum finally gets her distracted nature under countrol, she rounds the first curve with An'Mial finding that the hallway is starting to get bigger. As it gets bigger, they finds several interesting items scattered about the floor. Broken chips of bone; rusted scraps of metal; a small sheet of chainmail, about the size of a small foot; rotting cloth; small peices of strait wood. The more they move down the hallway, the larger some of the bone pieces become. But it's at the hallways widest point that the first strange sight is noticed.

right-aligned image
All along the wall and ceiling there are several egg shaped... things. Not an egg as an oblong round shape, but an egg as in after it is broken, and dropped into water for cooking. A rounded mess of goo that seems to slowly shift in place, with a few central globes just floating for effect. But the most odd part about them is their color. none of them are the same. They glow with a inner lite, giving off shades of blue, orange, pink, purple, orange, and green. An'mal's thrown rock, after hitting one of the six, bounces harmlessly to the ground, resulting in the egg things vibrating from the impact, and slowly setting to motionless.

OOGMStones: 9 minutes, 30 seconds left.

 

EggsI didn't know which image of the "eggs" to use, so here is another one, if you prefer this one, I'll change it.
 

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Map3.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	89403  

Last edited by Insacrum; Feb 5th, 2021 at 11:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 06:49 PM
Reliq0770's Avatar
Reliq0770 Reliq0770 is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 2nd, 2021
RPXP: 3903
Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770
Posts: 1,441
Daggonae 'Dagg' Bloodbane
right-aligned image
Dagg
Character Sheet

 

 

 

 


Even though she was smaller than the other Bugbears, she still found it uncomfortable trying to fit through the smaller space. At one moment, she stops... going rigid with her eyes wide and beads of sweat forming on her forehead and upper lip. Her chest heaves a few times as she blows out, long nervous breathes. Her armor had caught on a rock and the momentary stall in her forward progress was just long enough for the crippling fear of claustrophobia to wrap her in it's clutches.

'Crawl forward... Crawl forward... Crawl forward...'


The phrase repeated on a loop inside her mind. It was neither comforting, nor convincing... But it was practical. She needed to remind her body to move in the desired direction lest it retreat or, worse still, remain stagnant.

She wiggled her right hip slightly, dislodging the bit of leather that was caught on a jagged bit of stone before;

'Right arm, forward...'


Her body responded as directed.

'Left arm, forward...'


As her momentum picked up, she soon found herself emerging at the rear of the pack, into the open caldera. She slowly worked her way up to her feet, continuing to breathe heavy until her nerves calm after a few seconds. Dagg regains her composure, and looks around. She was partly Nature Check = 18surveying their surroundings, but also Insight Check = 8, Dagg wasn't subtle about her little panic attack so anyone near her could have noticed... Just throwing this out there for flavor and character building. She's mildly claustrophobic and doesn't like being underground.trying to make sure that the others hadn't noticed her near-panic attack.

The sooner they could get back above ground.... The better.
__________________
"Without Commitment, you'll never start;
But, without Consistency, you'll never finish!"

Last edited by Reliq0770; Feb 10th, 2021 at 09:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old Feb 7th, 2021, 01:13 PM
Grozug's Avatar
Grozug Grozug is offline
gro-Zug
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 2nd, 2021
RPXP: 8351
Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug
Posts: 1,715
"Har-hrk... Harp... nrph...!" The orc managed to grunt out as the bird woman darted over and clambered up on top of him. His head twisted and tilted to the side, eyes squinting shut defensively against the talons that were now casually draping across his face and shoulder. Now he had four crow's feet... His nose wrinkled as feathers and cloak tickled at it. But he held firm, lest someone fall over and make an even bigger racket than the group had already managed. He gritted his teeth at the shower of rock fragments, and brushed some dirt from his hair after Harp Strum bounded down off of her favorite new ladder in triumph. Ayaga was too annoyed to process the song that she became immediately embarrassed by, and only offered a snorting humph in reply.

Next he heard the labored breathing behind him, and looked back to An'mal and Dagg individually while they each seemed to work through... something of their own. He had not witnessed their private crises, but he caught an inkling of the aftermaths. "Are we well enough?" He asked, trying to couch concern in an indirectness that wasn't calling any one person out. At the same time, his hand reached down and out, and firmly grabbed a hold of Gristle's shoulder to pull him back behind the rest of them a few steps- just as a friendly precaution in case the kobold decided to aggressively pursue more promotions up ahead. Before setting out ahead at the front of their group with shield up and bone pick poised to swing, he inclined his head at Baruuk- someone had heard and heeded the current most temperate bugbear in the group, at least.

When those sickly-colored, positively blorpy-loooking masses appeared on the path before them, he halted in his tracks and arched an eyebrow over the rim of his shield. His whole body twinged in alarm when An'mal hucked a rock at one, but it relaxed very slightly when the resulting jelly-like ripples stilled to almost nothing. They looked like something that had sat too long in a goblin farmer's fermentation vats, but clearly they were nothing of humanoid make- at least he couldn't imagine that. A chip of bone crunched slightly underfoot, and Ayaga looked down at it with furrowed brow. The orc knew bones better than most, he dared to guess, and he thought these specimens might help illuminate... whatever all of this was. His eyes squinted until his untimely crow's feet deepened, his gaze sweeping over the progressively larger fragments for the exact nature of their wear, tear, and age. He practically read the names of their former owners off of the scarred collagen.

 

 
__________________
I am The Furtive Goblin. I fill my blog with fantasy world-building ideas, and the occasional lo-fi anxiety attack. I also have a Ko-fi. Buy a cup, give me a writing prompt, receive a post or two!

Last edited by Grozug; Feb 7th, 2021 at 01:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old Feb 8th, 2021, 02:07 AM
Reliq0770's Avatar
Reliq0770 Reliq0770 is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 2nd, 2021
RPXP: 3903
Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770
Posts: 1,441
Daggonae 'Dagg' Bloodbane
right-aligned image
Dagg
Character Sheet

 

 

 

 


Dagg's wits flooded back to her along with her composure. It was unbecoming to show weakness, especially while in the company of peers. She looked back over her shoulder and stared at the hole for a moment... But that was a problem for another time. There are more pressing matters to attend to at the moment. Bury it deep down and focus on the problems at hand.

Her eyes quickly adjusted to the difference in lighting, but then she made note of the several remnants of innards of some sort.

"Oozes." She said plainly. She kept her voice low enough that it didn't reverberate off the cavern walls much, but high enough that the party could hear her. "Or Slimes of some sort. They're different the kind we keep in the A deep, dark pit constructed on the outside of Dagg's Clan's settlement. At the bottom is an Ooze of some sort that feeds on anything that the Bugbears throw down to it. Usually it's fed the remains of their celebrations or any prisoners that the clan doesn't have a use for anymore.Spoil Pit back in Bloodmarsh. Regardless, I suggest that we avoid agitating them if possible. If they are anything like the ones back home, they dissolve all but bone and metal. Best to keep your distance and leave them be."
__________________
"Without Commitment, you'll never start;
But, without Consistency, you'll never finish!"

Last edited by Reliq0770; Feb 10th, 2021 at 05:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old Feb 8th, 2021, 10:54 PM
Grozug's Avatar
Grozug Grozug is offline
gro-Zug
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 2nd, 2021
RPXP: 8351
Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug
Posts: 1,715
"Mmh." Ayaga grunted in acknowledgement of what Dagg said. His tone was hushed as he turned to look over his shoulder at Gristle. "The missing group- this is where they died. Your kinsmen's bones are on the floor, little one. They..." He trailed off as he contemplated his next words carefully. He didn't want to send Gristle off on some charge into revenge against a bunch of mindless oozes, nor did he think they had time to gather the bone fragments up for whatever sort of proper funeral kobolds preferred. The orc chewed at the inside of his lip for a long moment.

"We should hurry on, so that they won't have died in vain."

 
__________________
I am The Furtive Goblin. I fill my blog with fantasy world-building ideas, and the occasional lo-fi anxiety attack. I also have a Ko-fi. Buy a cup, give me a writing prompt, receive a post or two!
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old Feb 9th, 2021, 01:41 PM
Pseudonymous's Avatar
Pseudonymous Pseudonymous is online now
Pseudodragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 2nd, 2021
RPXP: 7508
Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous
Posts: 2,101
Gristle
right-aligned image
 

 

Wait.

Wait, wait, wait.

A wave of panic washed over the kobold. What did Ayaga just say?! These were Gristle's kinsmen? That word meant family, right?! No, no, that wasn't right. These couldn't be his family. His family wasn't dead. They just disappeared. All of them. When the Tall Scaleless Folk barged into his sewer. They all disappeared, and left kobold-sized bones and meat in their place. Gristle's sewer didn't connect to this Underground-- how had his family ended up here?

They couldn't--

This wasn't--

Wait.

Wait.

Oh! It took a moment for Gristle to realize that maybe "kinsmen" just meant "other kobolds" in this case. He instantly relaxed, letting out a long sigh.

"Don't scare me like that!" he grumbled, giving Ayaga a weak shove (never mind the fact that Gristle could only reach Ayaga's knee and the shove didn't so much as disturb a single bone ornament. It was the thought that counted, and Gristle had so few of those to give).

He turned his attention back to the green globby things. Originally he thought that maybe the eggs they were searching for had cracked open and gone bad (though they didn't smell quite bad enough for that), but Strong Lady Dagg had identified them as slimes. Oh, yes. Gristle knew a little about slimes. Every now and then one would find its way into his sewer, and though he himself had never had to face one, he knew they were Bad For Kobold Health.

He looked towards the taller members of the group, who were all big and brave and smart and good meatshields. Friend Dagg said to be careful, and Friend Ayaga said to be quick, which sounded like good advice. Noisy Friend An'mal... looked kind of scared, which was worrying. Big scary happy people like An'mal shouldn't need to be afraid of things. He probably knew something that Gristle didn't. There were, after all, many things Gristle didn't know. Gristle decided that maybe staying by the larger folk was the best idea, and meekly slunk between Ayaga and Baruuk to follow after them.
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus.

Last edited by Pseudonymous; Feb 9th, 2021 at 02:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old Feb 10th, 2021, 12:56 PM
Strangemund's Avatar
Strangemund Strangemund is online now
An Unimaginable Horror
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 2nd, 2021
RPXP: 2945
Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund
Posts: 923
Harp Strum
right-aligned image
Harp Strum
Character Sheet

 

 

 

 



What? What? What? A nest? Here? Below the earth?? That couldn’t be right. What bird in their right mind would think a watery cavern was a safe place to raise chicks. Definitely not the sort Harp Strum wanted to hang around with. But that’s what it looked like here, out where the rocky path grew wide enough for Dagg and Gosh, his mane looked amazing in the blue light of her fancy new crystal. Like a big, hairy angel.fair-headed An’mal to walk freely, no longer forced to hunch down like grim Baruuk. Harp Strum stopped to study the pieces of broken chainmail. Its scuffed surface and mismatched colors hardly met a proper Kenku’s standards for a shiny horde. And then more concerningly, there were the bones scattered about the floor with no rhyme or reason for their placement. And they were most definitely not the fun, ornamental bones that friendly Ayaga liked to wear-- but the kind that looked like they were stripped clean in a butcher’s pot.

That set off many, many, many concerns in dear-hearted Harp Strum’s head as she knew something was fishy here. And she wasn’t alone! An’mal must have sensed something was off-- as he was just brilliant like that-- and threw a rock at the cavern’s ceiling where it didn’t so much as clatter noisily against stone but slorped. Harp Strum cocked her head to the side. That's right. *slorp**slorp*?” mimicked Harp Strum, confused by such a strange sound, and tilted her head all the way back until she saw bright balls of slime blorping and slorping and whatever else oozes do above their very heads.

“Oozes.” Dagg explained with confidence that befitted her heroine stature. She went on to say they were common from wherever she was from. Hers were different-- no doubt beastly considering how huge she was-- but she warned they were just as deadly. Able to strip cloth from skin, flesh from bone, and...and possibly even feathers from poor Kenkus like Harp Strum. Harp Strum made an audible gulp sound, clutching her bright and glowing crystal to her chest as Ayaga said...that the bones on the floor...were...from…from...

No.” Harp Strum shook her head fiercely. No no no. Don’t want to. Not that way. Please not that way. Oozes bad. Terrible, awful, no-good problems. Could we dig around? Please? Yes? Thank you?" But the look Dagg gave her told Harp Strum what she already knew. There wasn’t anywhere else for them to go but forward. Harp Strum saw it with her very own eyes when she scouted ahead for her flock. The rock here was too thick to break down and there were (unfortunately) no boulders to move. This was the only way.

But that didn’t mean she had to like it!! Harp Strum said something absolutely nasty that she heard Woppa say when he dropped a tower shield on his foot. And she meant every foul syllable, every emphasis of pure anger as she let it loose under her breath. Because they were going to have to walk underneath those--those things, and Harp Strum just knew deep down in her heart that she was absolutely delicious.

This was undoubtedly The Worst.

Seeing everybody buddy up, Harp Strum decided to choose her safety buddy for this awful venture, and grabbed onto An’mal’s hand with her tiny little talons. Like a cat worming its way into its master’s lap, she buried herself beneath his giant arm, nestling close, with only a few tufts of feathers peeking out from her hood. “Do you like knock-knock jokes?” she asked softly, Harp Strum desperately trying to focus on anything that wasn’t the brittle bones of dead Kobolds crumbling under foot.



OOCI got a Nat 20 + 4 on Stealth to quiet Harp's steps as we get closer to the slimes. I am just blowin' those 20s early so we'll have some real funny goofs later! ;D
__________________
Status: Down With a Fever. The Reunion Tour Nobody Asked For.
DMing: And the Devil Dances Beneath a Mosaic Sky
Characters: Thunder in the Morning - Harp Strum - Captain Tavosh - Bau

Last edited by Strangemund; Feb 14th, 2021 at 01:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old Feb 11th, 2021, 12:21 AM
hafrogman's Avatar
hafrogman hafrogman is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 2nd, 2021
RPXP: 11270
hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman
Posts: 2,475
Baruuk Talonface
right-aligned image
Baruuk could only shrug at the news of the kobold party's fate. Gristle seemed to have taken it fairly well, after a slight pause. Could he himself offer anything less? Harp Strum's concerns aside, there really was no other way through... not without going a long distance out of their way. Slimes and oozes and other cave dwelling hazards could be devastating dangerous, particularly to the unprepared. But they were no longer unaware. All in all, he'd rather face a mindless threat than a cunning foe. At least in this case.

There was little use in talking, and if these things could hear them, potentially much risk. Baruuk simply nodded at Dagg and prepared to follow in her wake. Almost silent and invisible next to him, he could feel Gristle's presence. But the bugbear was all too aware of the metallic susurration of his armored scales. He had salved bits and pieces from his fallen clan to assemble the mail. It was sturdy, but ill-suited to quiet movement. Still, there was no time to take it off now, and he'd undoubtedly be glad of its presence once they reached their destination.

He kept his eyes on the ceiling as they passed near each ooze. The armor seemed impossibly loud in the subtle silence of the cavern. But nothing stirred... yet.

OOC
 

 

Last edited by hafrogman; Feb 11th, 2021 at 12:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old Feb 11th, 2021, 05:20 PM
Grozug's Avatar
Grozug Grozug is offline
gro-Zug
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 2nd, 2021
RPXP: 8351
Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug
Posts: 1,715
Ayaga opened his mouth as if to speak as Gristle mentally worked through what he had said. When the kobold seemed relieved, he blinked several times and then finally shook his head, bone beats softly clicking in his hair. It seemed that stealth was the choice of the group, and he agreed with this. The orc dipped down into a crouch and gingerly untied the straps of his sandals. Clutching his shield and pick in one hand, and his shoes in the other, Ayaga crept forward along the cavern floor as quietly as he could, following Dagg and Baruuk as closely as he could, almost to the point of placing his feet exactly in their prints. His eyes roved from side to side, and even upward for signs of any slimy undulation as he moved.

 

 
__________________
I am The Furtive Goblin. I fill my blog with fantasy world-building ideas, and the occasional lo-fi anxiety attack. I also have a Ko-fi. Buy a cup, give me a writing prompt, receive a post or two!
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old Feb 12th, 2021, 10:40 AM
jbear's Avatar
jbear jbear is offline
Great Wyrm
Outplay 2018  

Hall of Fame DM 2017
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 1st, 2021
RPXP: 14774
jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear
Posts: 9,007
An’mal watched as the slimy egg casings wobbled and settled. He listened attentively to his fellow bugbear as Dagg identified them as oozes. An’mal rubbed his beard thoughtfully until Harp slipped beside him, took his hand and tucked herself into his side becoming near invisible. He nodded at her question about knock knock jokes. "Aye, they’re amongst the best I’ve heard. Do you know one?" An’mal’s question was soft and low, barely audible as he watched the group decide to walk amongst the danger as quietly as possible.

An’mal was familiar with these oozes; disgusting mindless living mess. The swamp he was raised in in his early years was riddled with them. An’mal had often passed his hours of boredom teasing them with rocks, and having them wobble around behind him, hoping to melt his flesh and bones into dust. An’mal looked down at his crotch where the magic rock was kept warm and safe. He was certain he could draw the danger away from the group while they passed by the nest unimpeded, but the workings of his mind were slow heavy gears. By the time he had decided, the group was already shimmying through the eggs. Harp’s gentle tug at his hand urged him forward, so he tucked away the urge to show his fearlessness after his brush with panic and softened his step.

 
__________________
"Kill them all!"

Last edited by jbear; Feb 13th, 2021 at 02:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old Feb 12th, 2021, 10:58 AM
Insacrum's Avatar
Insacrum Insacrum is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 2nd, 2021
RPXP: 11033
Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum
Posts: 12,484
Day 1

The new room seemed to give the group a bit of a fit. It wasn't the room itself that was causing issue, but more the content of the room. Dagg had quickly equated the egg looking blobs to be some sort of slime, ooze, mold, jelly type creature. Whatever it actually was, they weren't inclined to get to close to them. In fact, they determined that there best course of action was the attempt to sneak by.

Some time in the recent pastTucker stood at the hole in the wall, flanked by some of his best kobold warriors. Unfortunately, he was waiting to hear back from the not so best or brightest. He had told them that he was giving them an hour to get to the end of the hole, find what they could and get back. But Pilfer had to remind him that perhaps the group thought they had an hour there, and an hour back.

Reluctantly, Tucker agreed to give them another hour, and now they stood, waiting for the last minutes of time to go. Those going in knew the score. Get out in time, or get left in. This was a pure info gathering mission. They needed to know what was in the hole so that they could formulate a plan. Tucker was a crafty kobold, and one thing that he had learned early on was not to go do something yourself that was dangerous, if there was someone else you could send in to do it. It was something that he had learned being sent in to do dangerous things over, and over, and over, and over... again.

right-aligned image
"CLOSE THE HOLE!" The sound from within startled the group that was waiting. It seemed that at least one from the group of four that went in was trying to get out... or warn them. Tucker quickly nodded, and those gathered outside quickly started to get a large boulder ready to stopper the entrance. The boulder was about a foot from the entrance when Snacker came scrambling out, working to press himself as far away from the hole as possible. "Close it, close it, close it, close it!"

The fear in his voice only caused the rest of the kobold group to work faster in getting the hole closed. Tucker smacked the kobold across the snout hard. He had seen fear before in others, naturally and magical. He knew that a good smack would get their attention, and it was no different now. Looking at the sniveling creature before him he spoke just one commanding work. But a word from Tucker was known to be all that was needed. "Speak?"

The kobold was still slightly frantic, but at least the thing wasn't trying to scamper away. "The first room... Slime Molds. They got Obod."

Pilfer, upon hearing the declaration, was quick to add to those at the wall, "Pak 'er tight, boyz." and the others quickly started sealing the rock in place with mud.


right-aligned image
With a plan in hand, the group had an idea of how it wanted to make it's way to the other side. They did manage to start of orderly, but the it was quick to see that the smaller of the group held most of the advantage in getting across quickly. Soon enough Gristle had managed to get across the room, without making any noise, and alerting anything. Harp Strum, also having leave some of the larger group behind, took to slinking and skulking to get through, following behind Gristle.

Others in the party seemed to think that the prudent thing to do would be to keep as far away from the slime molds as they could, and took to crouching as far down close to the floor as they could. Ayaga seemed to make an interesting game out of getting as low to the ground as he could without making a sound, and before long was on the other side with Gristle and Harp Strom. Dagg for her part was able to mimic Ayaga. Given the Ayaga had more muscle mass, compared to Dagg's corded muscles, it was interesting to see her be able to do the same.

This left An'Mal and Baruuk. One thing that An'Mal noticed that the others seemed to have missed was what happened to the slime molds when it was hit with a pebble. Yes the pebble bounced off and nothing was attacked by the slime molds, but it seemed that the surface of them rippled. Baruuk had managed to make it almost all the way across, and was almost within touching distance of the others.

An'mal seemed to have a sense of the supernatural on his side. While the others looked to be chicken walking, An'mal was dancing. Sliding, weaving, gliding, turning, bouncing, and even spinning. It was so graceful, it could have even been turned into a Breakdancing will be in the 2024 Paris Olympics!!!sport.

Baruuk looked on in awe upon An'Mal, and that was his flaw. He stopped. And in stopping, he seemed to raise up just enough for one of the slime molds to notice him. While not directly above him, the slime mold dropped to the floor right next to him.

The other slime molds, for their part definitely noticed the noise from the drop, more so the vibration as it passed through the ground to them. The vibration caused the others on the ceiling to instantly drop to the ground, and the others on the wall were loath to be left out, and also found themselves on the ground, currently looking for Baruuk.

OOGMStones: 9 minutes, 24 seconds left.

Slime Molds Initiative:
Dice Roll:
1d20+2 (9)+2 Total = 11
(11)

At this point, we are technically in combat, so roll for initiative, if you beat an 11, you get to act before the Slime Molds.

 

Slime moldI didn't know which image of the slime mold to use, so here is another one, if you prefer this one, I'll change it.
 

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Map4.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	89544  

Last edited by Insacrum; Feb 12th, 2021 at 11:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old Feb 13th, 2021, 03:08 PM
jbear's Avatar
jbear jbear is offline
Great Wyrm
Outplay 2018  

Hall of Fame DM 2017
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 1st, 2021
RPXP: 14774
jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear
Posts: 9,007
An'mal
left-aligned image
Name: An'mal
 

 

 

 



On the other side of the jelly nest, having just finished busting a move from one side to the other, An'mal stopped suddenly poised in full flight. He should surely have over balanced and fallen at that angle, but his muscles pulled taught and he held himself and then settled softly on the floor legs twisting first about him as he balanced on one hand. When his feet landed, his body followed the twist and he came up to stand, now facing back towards Baruuk. An'mal eyed the green molds that had just dropped from the ceiling. The 'blopping' of a dropping ooze was an unmistakeable sound. It had caught his attention immediately stopping him in that impossibly awkward but somehow still cool position before he spun to check on his comrade.

An'mal pushed away the butterflies of thought that rose, his mind wondering if he could catch a mold and have it drop out out bit by bit at a specific rhythm during a performance somehow to recreate that blopping sound on beat. It was an important question, but one that he could think about at another time. An'mal was not able to think about two different things at the same time. That was not how his brain was designed. Baruuk was in a bad spot, an ooze on either side. The thing about playing with oozes was that it was something one was advised to do from a distance. The game was much less fun if they actually managed to get close enough to touch you. "Run ... now" An'mal managed as he reached towards Baruuk with his massively long arms. It was an instinctive act. Someone in the band was in danger. Someone in the band was going to get hurt. An'mal could prevent that. Pull Baruuk to safety. Stand in the way. Take the blow. And that was what he meant to do ... But he had spent too much time pondering how to make blob's blop into a beat ... The molds had already come to life.
__________________
"Kill them all!"

Last edited by jbear; Feb 13th, 2021 at 03:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:48 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2021, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB