RPG Crossing
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Old Nov 30th, 2022, 01:29 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2724
Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun
may i ask why you require a backstory? i prefer blank slate, find out in play. if that disqualifies me, i will happily be disqualified
Old Nov 30th, 2022, 11:25 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21168
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
@Talissen70 Welcome, keen to see what character you come up with.

@DraconigenaArma Looks great! That's giving me a lot to think about already. Not that it necessarily needs more detail, but I was wondering: Our story takes place only six years or so after the Clone Wars, so I was wondering if your Character left Seranno before or after Seranno became a separatist hotbed. It sounds like he certainly did not end up fighting or anything like that, but it may inform his view on the empire as it is now.

@Hotshot I don't need a very long backstory, but I need something.

There are a few reasons for it really. It shows me a bit of how the player thinks and writes, and it gives me a chance to imagine how the character could integrate into the group and what kind of personal plot-hooks we might weave around them. On a practical level, since I can't take everybody, this is also how I can weigh up one application against another. I can't get excited over a bunch of numbers either.

Other than that, I actually also approve of figuring some things out during play, which is why I don't like biographies and descriptions that are way too long either. That can just end up a straightjacket. Hence, it's good to aim for the middle ground, where you say a bit about all aspects of a character, but not too much.

Hope that helps.
Old Nov 30th, 2022, 12:25 PM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11185
DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma
Good question, he'd have left to go be an outer rim fringer long before Dooku turned his palace into a Separatist stronghold. Gil would be in his mid twenties by the time the Clone Wars officially started, and in my head I see him as a young adult when he flees the authorities, since the decade before the war is a more plausible time for the planet to care about local affairs of petty criminals vs. the outward focus of the politics of the war. It is my goal to avoid actual military or governmental influence in his character - he's a good shot with a rifle because he's a hunter not because he's an ex-republic sniper; he's a decent spacer because he's a blockade runner not because he's a former Imperial pilot, he's a capable operator not because he's a former special ops solider, but because he's a scrappy survivor in the lawless, dangerous outer rim. Etc. I think this creates a better Jayne Cobb / Malcom Reynolds style "let's be bad guys" good guy personality, which my gut says makes a good "muggle" fit for a group of Jensaarai defenders and knights. Similar to the borderline resigned "that's a shame" attitude he would have toward the corruption of the founder, he lives in a mindset where governments are more trouble than they're worth. The rise of the Empire, the cleansing of the great houses on Serenno, etc. are all just confirmations of his stance towards loyalty to his friends, his team, over organizations.

Of course this isn't the only thing that can fit, but it's what I am gravitating towards as a good way to play the martially oriented, rustic spacer type I would like to do, and in the context of the game.

Last edited by DraconigenaArma; Nov 30th, 2022 at 01:17 PM.
Old Nov 30th, 2022, 02:09 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun
zeb's childhood was in the streets of corellia's macragge district. his parents, both laborers, were gone much of the day, giving him plenty of opportunity to get into trouble. he got into a street gang, the wolves of drall, and got a blaster as a gift from them. after the wolves of drall were drafted, he fought in the mud wars of maggrathi, proving himself with distinction in the battle of butchers gully

Last edited by Hotshot lasgun; Dec 1st, 2022 at 11:26 AM.
Old Dec 1st, 2022, 08:04 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
@Hotshot Could you take all the paragraphs that you have written and place them with your sheet? I've just made an applicants table, and with that I like to link to a single post that has all the information, which makes it quicker when it gets around to deciding time.

@Draconigena That answers my question perfectly. I agree that the way it's set up would make it relatively easy to integrate the character into the group. I wasn't necessarily suggesting a military background anyway, even though I think you could also get a similar disillusioned outlook with that route. In the end it's all about what appeals more though.

@all Let me know when you consider your applications finished and I'll mark it as such on my applicants table.

I'll see where we are at next Monday (the 5th of December) in terms of other people having declared interest and then make a call as to a deadline.
Old Dec 1st, 2022, 11:47 AM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11185
DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma
I'll roll my answer into my original post, and that'll count me as complete unless you or an existing party member have any more questions.
Old Dec 2nd, 2022, 01:15 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2577
Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70
@Phettburg, thats my application solidified, but I am happy for feedback and advice if i am missing appropriate lore.
Old Dec 2nd, 2022, 05:00 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
id take your advice on mine as well
Old Dec 4th, 2022, 05:02 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
I've marked everybody as complete now. Assuming there won't be any more interested parties stepping forward I'll pick somebody tomorrow evening my time (in around 24 hours from now).

Since it was requested, just a few thoughts on two of the apps (excluding DA):

Old Dec 4th, 2022, 07:08 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Old Dec 5th, 2022, 05:04 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2577
Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70 Talissen70

Last edited by Talissen70; Dec 5th, 2022 at 09:38 AM.
Old Dec 5th, 2022, 04:22 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Since Navas and Gil are complementary to each other and the group I've decided to accept you both, welcome Draconigena and Talissen!

Head over to the game folder and have a look around - there is a guide to character generation, which we'll run through as is to then raise the PCs a bit above.