Peace was never an option
Good People  

Event Judge  

Hall of Fame DM 2017

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 35380
Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner
Finishing up a very busy holiday and just getting back into the swing of things. I will hopefully be updating the game threads tomorrow as well as providing any needed information as I can. The additional players I will be brining on should be announced tomorrow as well.
Old Jan 3rd, 2017, 08:11 AM
Good People  

Event Judge  

Hall of Fame DM 2017

Tools
User Statistics
I have made my selections in the recruitment and we will be adding three more players to our game to fill things in a bit. Ratpigeon will be playing a mage, Calliope Jones, while Delta3SigmaChi2 will be playing Art Collins, who is an interesting take on a beast. We also will have Mjb joining us and picking up Owens trail in which some interesting changes will happen.

Hopefully I can get things moving a long so I can pretty seemlessly get everyone joined at the intended junctions. Welcome everyone!
Old Jan 3rd, 2017, 09:48 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 213
Zareaus Zareaus Zareaus
So after reading over 2.0 I want to make sure I'm understanding it right......

You typically get Conditions when you loose or fail challenges, then get Beats after getting over them. So you want to be on failing side to XP? I get that you get Beats for positive stuff, but getting XP for failing seems counter productive.

Also an example in Promethean confused me a ton..........
On an exception success (which is suppose to be really good) you get a condition (which is suppose to be good for an exception successes); but the example given is a BAD condition. Why would you take a bad condition for an exceptional success? {In the example he gets Guilty after an exceptional success saving someone's life.}
Old Jan 3rd, 2017, 09:52 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 109
Delta3SigmaChi2 Delta3SigmaChi2
Wow, 7 pages late to the OOC. Which makes sense, since we're coming in to replace a couple people... or just due to casual upkeep. Either way, it's a please to meet you all! I love Arthur as a concept, as such he can be a Changeling (Beast; Windwing), a Beast (as he currently is), or a Changing Breed (Wing-Folk, to keep with the avian theme). Whatever makes the mechanics easier to port, really. The concept will remain the same, just some of the mechanics would change slightly (obviously). I'm happy any way we choose. I only bring this up because Beasts aren't exactly the "heroes" of their own story. Not that Vampires are either... but there is a more ambiguous morality there. (Up to a point.)

Any ways, it's an honor to meet you all, and to get to join you all in this wonderful endeavor! Thanks!
Old Jan 3rd, 2017, 09:59 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zareaus View Post
You typically get Conditions when you lose or fail challenges, then get Beats after getting over them. So you want to be on failing side to XP? I get that you get Beats for positive stuff, but getting XP for failing seems counter productive.
You generally learn more by bypassing obstacles or overcoming shortcomings. Conditions are just a renamed Flaw system in 2.0, and you always got EXP for gaining Flaws in the old editions... which just means that conditions are a renamed carry over from the earlier edition. You don't HAVE to fail to get beats, it's just a sure fire way to gain some. The reason being that you're more likely to fail than succeed at something that SHOULD reward a beat. Not all success give a beat, and not all failures give one either. That's up to the GM and situation.

Last edited by Delta3SigmaChi2; Jan 3rd, 2017 at 09:59 AM.
Old Jan 3rd, 2017, 10:04 AM
Good People  

Event Judge  

Hall of Fame DM 2017

Tools
User Statistics
Don't worry in this world the concept of 'Hero' is definitely up for interpretation and by the end of it the typical roles of who is good and who is bad will hopefully be up for interpretation. The neat part of the whole thing is how these horrible monsters can end up somehow doing good things despite the fact they are horrible monsters whether on purpose or by accident.

As far as Beast I think I can spin pretty much any of the Hungers in the right direction. I love changeling and think it is awesome but I am awaiting the 2nd Edition Book as they haven't made that conversion yet. So lets stick with your Beast build, it should be a lot of fun and we can tweek anything to make it fit the group dynamic better.

If you want to discuss specifics we can use your private thread and discuss stuff like hunger options and how they would fit in game. I must admit I love the idea that these lackeys picked up a Beast when they were 'fetching humans'.
Old Jan 3rd, 2017, 10:26 AM
Good People  

Event Judge  

Hall of Fame DM 2017

Tools
User Statistics
@ Z I think Delta answered that pretty well. There is a lot of terminology that is similar but renamed for the new version. Second Edition is all about overcoming aspirations or goals to gain Beats. It also tries to explain that when you overcome difficulty you should gain beats which is where overcoming conditions comes into play.

Now the whole deal with acquiring conditions due to exceptional successes I believe is a Promethean thing. The concept is that as they due these tremendous deeds (ie lifting a car to save a child) they are tapping more and more into the humantity they are trying to achieve. That results in things like guilt that in the short term you are right are actually bad, but in the the long term if you can overcome them help the Promethean grow (gain more beats) and get even closer to the hummanity they are trying to achieve.

Its a case of flavor being applied to mechanics for the whole Promethean struggle to be human. That is definitely the focus in the Second Edition version. All Prometheans want to be human.

I know you may not agree with it but I hope that at least explains it. To simplify its growing pains.
Old Jan 3rd, 2017, 10:36 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Zareaus Zareaus Zareaus
Now the whole deal with acquiring conditions due to exceptional successes I believe is a Promethean thing - I checked, this is in the Core book. "A player can choose to bring a relevant Condition into play whenever he rolls an exceptional success."The suggested one is normally Inspired, just seems weird why you would choose a negative one.

I've always been a fan of XP at story points instead of how many things I killed.
(XP per session is also decent especially for games that don't have "levels")

Last edited by Zareaus; Jan 3rd, 2017 at 10:54 AM.
Old Jan 3rd, 2017, 11:18 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Zareaus Zareaus Zareaus
2.0 doesn't use any of the old 1.0 merits, just the new ones right?

Checking since I know at least two of us are converting to 2.0

Old Jan 3rd, 2017, 12:08 PM
Good People  

Event Judge  

Hall of Fame DM 2017

Tools
User Statistics
For Promethean just use the 2.0 Merits. For the Geist conversion we will be taking things as we approach them although I found some resources me and Xildur are using for the conversion.
Old Jan 3rd, 2017, 12:40 PM
Catch Phrase

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2634
mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb
Really happy to be playing with you all. Looking forward to how we manage to work this diverse group of such different creatures with different needs. A beast and a demon in the same group should be very interesting since I'm not considered 'kin'. Please don't eat me.

Last edited by mjb; Jan 3rd, 2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old Jan 3rd, 2017, 01:51 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Can't promise nothing! Nah, I'm not into the Hunger for the blood... I'm into Hunger for the stuff! However... owning something that could be considered occult that ties a demon to the more physical plane... well now THAT could be interesting!
Old Jan 3rd, 2017, 02:50 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Zareaus Zareaus Zareaus
Question for stacking rules since some of the stuff now lowers exceptional success thresholds; if two thing both lower the threshold from 5 to 3 and they both could apply does it lower the threshold even more? (Example: Bestowment lowers the threshold for strength tests & transmutation lowers it for athletics tests, so for a Str + Athletics test what is the threshold?)
Old Jan 3rd, 2017, 05:04 PM
Good People  

Event Judge  

Hall of Fame DM 2017

Tools
User Statistics
You'll have to give me an example but from what I've read if something stacks its usually called out. In the case of lowering a threshold I would probably take the better of the two unless its called out somewhere otherwise.