Game Thread Chapter 1: The Smoldering Dragon - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > World of Darkness > Heroes in the Darkness - Living World NWoD Chronicle
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Dec 19th, 2016, 12:48 PM
Peace was never an option
Good People  

Event Judge  

Hall of Fame DM 2017

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 35380
Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner
Chapter 1: The Smoldering Dragon

Dusk took the day outside as the patrons started to make their way into the Smoldering Dragon. The residual feelings of nervousness seemed to fill Kerion as he started to try to sort out just how he was going to find Delilah's lead. Carefully he worked the bar and filled up a drink to a regular before taking another survey of the establishment.

The door chimed as a stranger walked in. From the looks of him he was not of the embrace but something else completely. It wasn't completely unusual to see another of their kind in the Dragon from time to time, but more often than not it was predominantly his own kin.

Elijah took a look around as he walked in. The face from the survaeillance video coming to his mind as he looked across the bar. It was well kept but classic keeping the old city feel of the area around him. It almost reminded him of the watering hole he so enjoyed in beantown. As surveyed the room for his john doe he suddenly caught the eyes of Kerion.
Old Dec 21st, 2016, 01:46 AM
Just an addicted gamer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5152
Xildur Xildur Xildur Xildur Xildur Xildur Xildur Xildur Xildur Xildur Xildur
Elijah's flight to New York is uneventful. After arrival, he tries to find affordable hotel near Smoldering Dragon area. He may need it to watch carefully some time later. Then he takes a shower and changes his clothes to mingle better. At the most, he doesn't attract attention with sour smell or dirty clothes. Since it is a bar, he should use casual clothes as well.

Afterward, Elijah enters the establishment. He tries to find any clues for Tammara or the kidnapper. But then, his gazes fall toward a man that drinks in the bar. Something in his instinct tells him that this man is different. But different how? Elijah ponders a bit and decides to take an action. He moves toward Kerion and then sits next to him.

He orders one draft of beer and then speaks to Kerion : "Say, I think I have met you before. Your face looks familiar somehow." He pauses there and waits for Kerion's reaction as well as the bloody baton in his jacket. Is he a friend? A foe? An unknown? A special like him?

Old Dec 24th, 2016, 07:46 PM
Downers 4th Regiment CO

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10470
Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart
Oocjust to let you know I'm the bartender so you are ordering that drink from me also I check id since you are unknown to me. I'll plug that into my post when not Mobil
Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 02:53 PM
Downers 4th Regiment CO

Tools
User Statistics
Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart Sageheart
Kieron's eyes peaked up as the newcomer entered the bar. They took a quick assessment before returning back to the frothing foam of the pilsner he was pouring. With a smile and a few short words he dropped off before making his way over towards this new customer. It was strange to see one not turned, which already made Kieron worry. He didn't like not knowing things, and he knew nothing of this man's possible capabilities.

He makes a rectangle with his thumb and two forefingers; ID please. Once it was given he glanced it over, trying to take in the details. He had found it helpful to check IDs even if the person was over twenty-one. You learned some essential information. He handed it back with a grin. There you go. What can I getcha tonight? Draft beer listed on my right, bottles and cans on my left. He nods as he receives the order and pours the beer.

The stranger sits in the bar stool immediately behind him, and Kieron silently cursed. He preferred when the customers would sit closer to the door, away from the register, and Delilah's door. Plus it was always nice to have a corner to devote to regulars, or just a moment away from everyone to check your phone or speak with Delilah privately.

As Elijah asked his question, Kieron watched him even more closely. He tried to recall if he knew the man. A scowl breezed his face. I don't believe we have. Where do you think you know me from. Wouldn't find it a shocker, I show my face around quite a few places.
Old Jan 3rd, 2017, 03:55 AM
Just an addicted gamer

Tools
User Statistics
Elijah drinks the beer first before speaking. The light but bitter taste is quite refreshing for him. So Elijah gives his complement to Kerion : "It is a good beer."

And then he continues the conversation : "I am just coming from Boston. How is the Yankees lately?" He wants to have small conversation going so he may ask some information from the bartender. After all, New Yorkers are usually like to chat about their baseball group. Or maybe football, depended on personal taste.

Old Jan 3rd, 2017, 08:22 AM
Good People  

Event Judge  

Hall of Fame DM 2017

Tools
User Statistics
Kieron works the bar as the man walks up and orders a pint. Serving him the frothy drink he can't help but let his mind wander to the previous days conversation with Delilah. He needed to break a lead into what was going on out there, but he wasn't sure how. The unfamiliar face in front of him suddenly stuck out among the thought. It wasn't often that a new face made it into the Dragon, and more often than not Kieron was happy to see one, but today it had an entirely different flavor to it.

Today this man could be exactly what he was looking for, a new source of information. Of course for Elijah that was exactly what he had been looking for when he walked in. Giving some small chat as he picked up the conversation the two mens motivations slowly started to work toward each other.
Old Jan 10th, 2017, 04:43 PM
Downers 4th Regiment CO

Tools
User Statistics
Kieron can't help but snicker slightly at the baseball comment. He held it in check though. The new man was just trying to make conversation, and it wasn't as if that was uncommon in a bar. Kieron gave another of his shrugs. Honestly not a big sports guy. But assuming your a Red Socks fan. Wouldn't say that too much, you guys aren't well liked around here. Personally I go for the Mets, you know the underdog. More my style. Haven't watched a game in forever though. Last game I went to was a few years before I turn...before I worked here. He nearly had trouble stopping himself, being so used to being in a place open to such things. Well he still was just had no idea who this guy was. And he would need to find out soon, even as a safe space he could see a few of the younger more hungry (and broke) vampires sizing up the newest patron as a possible late night snack.

So just came from Boston. Haven't been there in a decade. Still the college drunk town it always was? But what brings you here, to the city of churches, hipsters, and hip-hop. He poured himself a rocks glass of Flying Dog IPA, taking a glance down the bar to make sure everyone was good. Seeing that no one needed him he turned back to the new guest. Business or pleasure? And in particular if you don't mind me asking, what made you come here. We aren't really on many tourist maps. He took a small sip and watched this new arrival carefully.
Old Jan 12th, 2017, 03:23 AM
Just an addicted gamer

Tools
User Statistics
Elijah listens to the bartender who apparently has the soft spot for underdog, maybe because he was one? Well, it is rude to comment on that so, Elijah just drinks the beer until the guy finish talking. but Elijah frowns because Keiron described something that odd for him. Elijah says : "Well, though there are a lot of college drunkard, I believe Boston still has more churches than New York, city of money."

And then Elijah continues : "I come here because of my friend. She arrived here just last week, but then there was no other contact from her." Then he brings Tammara's photo out and says : "Have you seen her around? I am sure she had been here once or twice."

OOCI am not American so most of what I'm talking about comes from wikipedia.
Please correct me if I am wrong since Elijah should be more knowledgeable about Boston and NY than me.
Old Jan 12th, 2017, 08:39 PM
Good People  

Event Judge  

Hall of Fame DM 2017

Tools
User Statistics
OODM

Kieron would not have seen the girl in the picture.

Old Jan 13th, 2017, 02:36 AM
Just an addicted gamer

Tools
User Statistics
It looks like Kieron has not seen her. Then Elijah remembers that he has a photo of the guy on the van. Elijah quickly takes the picture toward him and says : "Have you seen this guy? This guy was his deutche bag ex boyfriend that always stalk her around. I'm afraid he doesn't take the break up well." It is a long shot, but maybe this guy wanders around here.
Old Jan 13th, 2017, 01:42 PM
Good People  

Event Judge  

Hall of Fame DM 2017

Tools
User Statistics
Old Jan 16th, 2017, 01:53 AM
Downers 4th Regiment CO

Tools
User Statistics
Kieron glances at the photo of the young lady. His eyes dart back to the customer before causally tossing the picture back towards Elijah. Haven't seen her. But I could have. I see a lot of people in this line of work. What makes you think she wandered into this joint? Is she part of the community? Kieron attempted to hint at the true purpose of the establishment. He didn't like not knowing what knowledge this man had.

He did not expect a happy ending for a missing girl who might have made an appearance at a vampire bar. In particular a cute homey looking girl. Even vampires had their fetishes, and Kieron had found them just as typical and general as those in the living world.

His eyes couldn't help but show his disgust as he saw the next image. He tried to hide it but it was already too late. Yeah I know him. He's a new sight around these parts. A complete and utter dick. Never takes care of the bar. Most of us don't like him. He motioned to the other patrons. I don't know who is the kingpin of the group he hangs out with. I've almost 86ed the guy a few times but he always comes back.

OOCBrooklyn is nicknamed the city of churches sometimes. There are a lot of churches here.
Old Jan 16th, 2017, 04:15 AM
Just an addicted gamer

Tools
User Statistics
Elijah frowns when hearing some subtle hint from Kieron. This might be more dangerous than he thought. What community did he mention? Because Kieron doesn't understand the term, he decides to ask : "What is the community that you are talking about? Could you give me some tips about it?" He slides a 20' to the bar. Any information is quite precious. Moreover after the bartender recognizes the guy in the picture. And he doesn't like the disgust look from the bartender. He may never find Tammara alive.Or maybe she was in worse condition.

Elijah responds : "Well, maybe I can help you with that. Could you please tell me where I can find him?" He needs to scout a place to hide and a stun gun. Also an inconspicuous car. The burning police would be glad if he finishes this mission and deliver some justice.

OOCOh, the boroughs, not the NY itself.
Do not know that we are in Brooklyn, NY.
Old Jan 16th, 2017, 03:48 PM
Downers 4th Regiment CO

Tools
User Statistics
OOCYeah! I wanted the bar to be in Brooklyn since i'm from here and work in a bar in Brooklyn. :P
City of Churches is an old name for Brooklyn, it isn't common but it's sometimes used as a joke. At least I've heard it that way. Brooklyn has had a dark life in some places, so to remind it of its old culture as a richer more powerful city makes some chuckle. Of course now its nice and expensive again! Such is NYC, constantly getting too expensive. haha.

With a nimble dart of his hand the twenty at the bar disappeared. Kieron's hand slipped out of his back pocket, causally twirling his http://www.titosvodka.com/store/medi...b/a/barkey.jpgbar-key.That... He paused. He hadn't had someone explicitly ask him what they did here. He didn't really enjoy being so open about it with someone he barely knew. Perhaps this was a hunter. He was going after a ghoul, a pretty low down one though. And Kieron had already learned well enough that no one fethed with his mistress. We are a specialized bar dealing with craft beer and cocktails. Now I know these are just about everywhere these days, we deal with a very specific type of flavor pallet. Here Kieron made his way over to the cask tap. With a few pushes he filled a small rocks glass with the frothing dark beer.

This is a new batch of our signature Red stout. Kieron couldn't help but stress the word, staring deep into the man's eyes. He slid the taste over to the human. We aged it here ourselves for almost a year. Both components. He let this last word linger in the air as he could feel his own inner beast starting to emerge, kept hidden by that friendly service-focused smile.

A cruel smile glimmered on the bartender's lips. Leaning closer to the man, he tapped the taste closer to him. I think you should fill me in more on why you need this man.

Game mechanics
Okay! So my character is really getting uncomfortable with this. A human looking for a missing girl going to a Vampire bar and not realizing it. So on that note I am going to fish for more information. I hope this isn't derailing the overall meeting, I just am a vampire who is a bit too careful about upsetting the carefully rigged safety net around him.

I am going to use my Presence/Majesty ability One: Awe on Elijah with my last question. I want to use this to get him more interested in answering my question to the best of his ability. So in OWoD its Charisma and Performance difficulty 7. I would think here it would be presence and persuasion which for me is a total of 4 (3/1)

Dice Roll:
4d10smch7 4 ✘, 9 ✔, 5 ✘, 10 ✔ (2/4) 1⇑ 0⇓ Total = 28

ALso does my Temporis One Passive ability detect any magical aura on Elijah.

Last edited by Sageheart; Jan 16th, 2017 at 03:50 PM.
Old Jan 18th, 2017, 11:10 PM
Just an addicted gamer

Tools
User Statistics
Elijah accepts the Red Stout with pleasure but then he can feel something different about Kieron's smile. It looks like a cruel smile that bring shudder to his spine and an angry reaction from Burning Police. In an instant Elijah's vision become blood colored and there is a burning flesh in the air. But as usual, when he blinks, the situation becomes normal. But the signs make Elijah's heart beats faster. There is something more than it seems.

Elijah smiles back to Kieron and replies : "Red Stout, you say. Red like blood or red like fire?" with low voice. He tries to establish an empathetic connection with Kieron which may enable him to probe further.

And after hearing Kieron's last sentence, Elijah realizes that his quarry is quite dangerous, either by his own or maybe he works with someone who is not to be trifled with. Maybe even beyond his pay grade. He definitely would ask for raise to the tall man later. He whispers : "This man is a suspect for couple girls disappearance. I am working for a family member to find one of the girl, and bring her alive, if able." Since Elijah doesn't know whether this man is connected with the guy, he decides to scare him a little and see the 0 success from roll and 2 success from Passion Oracle activationreaction.

ActionsSince Elijah has Composure 2 (Plus Psyche 1) and Kieron's success was only 2, then Elijah is not affected with the Awe power. And now it is his turn to use his power : Passion Oracle to Kieron

Last edited by Xildur; Jan 18th, 2017 at 11:15 PM.