Notices

Old Nov 12th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Spicy Meatball
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7248
JayRob JayRob JayRob JayRob JayRob JayRob JayRob JayRob JayRob JayRob JayRob
I'm about halfway through Stephen King's Nightmares and Dreamscapes short story collection, although my reading has slowed down now that I have technology at my fingertips.

If anyone that has read that one remembers the story about the guy who sees the finger coming out of the drainpipe? I re-read it about a month ago, but a couple nights ago I couldn't sleep and was just lying in bed staring at the ceiling. Suddenly - tap, taptap, tap starts coming from the bathroom, it really sounded like it could have been a fingernail on porcelain. I was totally freaking out while trying not to. The tapping keeps getting louder and faster (or at least seems to). Finally, there was a big Crash from the bathroom, and I had to go look - it ended up just being a mouse in the bathtub that knocked over my shampoo trying to get out.

That is where the real scary comes from, I think. The finger story is silly and kinda stupid when you read it during the day - until it's 2 am, you're WAY all by yourself, and the events that lead into everything in the story start happening to you in real life. Obviously, there wasn't a growing finger reaching out of my sink drain, haha, I knew that all along! But what if there was....?

Last edited by JayRob; Nov 12th, 2009 at 04:41 PM.
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Briefly here, Oct 2, 2018
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5497
CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH
Quote:
stochastic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stochastic

I learned a new word today! That's kinda cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idilippy
Same as CE2JRH, I'm trying to read through the whole WoT series before I take on The Gathering Storm. Today, however, I wanted a change of pace from the fantasy genre so I'm reading through Summer Knight, book 4 of the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.
Emphasis mine.

I found the statement hilarious. What genre is a book about wizards fighting vampires, werewolves, spirits, and other wizards?

(To be fair, I haven't read past book 1, but I did watch the T.V. series )
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Howling 'Mad
Event Judge

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2519
Sha'mad Conde Sha'mad Conde Sha'mad Conde Sha'mad Conde Sha'mad Conde Sha'mad Conde Sha'mad Conde Sha'mad Conde Sha'mad Conde Sha'mad Conde Sha'mad Conde
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr green View Post
I'm currently reading this book entitled Evil Genes. It's all about proposing a link between epigenetic conditions and antisocial behavior. ie, is there a Hitler gene? and such
Sounds interesting. Who is the author?

The book Pig mentioned (Drood by Dan Simmons) sounds good, too. I'll have to check that one out.

-'Mad
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 05:06 PM
She's a genius.
Event Judge  

Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6023
Medesha Medesha Medesha Medesha Medesha Medesha Medesha Medesha Medesha Medesha Medesha
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayRob View Post
If anyone that has read that one remembers the story about the guy who sees the finger coming out of the drainpipe?
Man that story freaked me out. I still think of it every now and then when I get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom.
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Spicy Meatball
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Med
Man that story freaked me out.
The first, and then the most recent time I read it, it didn't freak me out at all consciously. Obviously, I was more afraid to admit that I was scared by the story, than I was to admit that something else about the story scared me. That taptap, tap, taptaptap in the bathroom two nights ago freaked me the hell out.

Last edited by JayRob; Nov 12th, 2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 05:43 PM
BigPiggyPigBigPig

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 39721
PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medesha View Post
Man that story freaked me out. I still think of it every now and then when I get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom.
SK strikes again
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Catchy Story

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 650
Virulent Allegory Virulent Allegory Virulent Allegory Virulent Allegory Virulent Allegory Virulent Allegory
Quote:
Originally Posted by CE2JRH View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stochastic

I learned a new word today! That's kinda cool.
Yay! I have to say though, that the Wikipedia definition ("Stochastic means random") isn't very good - stochastic is more like "non-random, but the ordering principle is unknowable". Its important in radiology because radioactive decay is a stochastic process, governed by quantum probability.
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Rogue Experiment

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 151
StoneMantis StoneMantis
I'm re-reading the Wheel of Time series.

RIP Robert Jordan...
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 06:17 PM
The Red Pilgrim

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 57
bslowiak
Has anyone ever read the Dark Tower Series by Stephen King? I only ask because I think Midworld would be an amazing campaign setting.

Last edited by bslowiak; Nov 12th, 2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15934
idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CE2JRH View Post
I found the statement hilarious. What genre is a book about wizards fighting vampires, werewolves, spirits, and other wizards?
Eh, I know it's a fantasy series, but I consider it more of a mystery and quite a bit different from the high fantasy world of the Wheel of Time.

Also,
Quote:
Has anyone ever read the Dark Tower Series by Stephen King? I only ask because I think Midworld would be an amazing campaign setting.
Yes, and they are an amazing series of books, especially if you read his other stuff and see some of the links between his books and that series. I dunno how well that world would translate as a campaign setting, I always wanted to run a group of gunslingers to the tower but have not been ambitious enough to actually attempt to put a coherent campaign together.

Last edited by idilippy; Nov 12th, 2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Midnight Clad

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 221
BlackAssassin19 BlackAssassin19 BlackAssassin19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayRob View Post
I'm about halfway through Stephen King's Nightmares and Dreamscapes short story collection, although my reading has slowed down now that I have technology at my fingertips.

I got about halfway through that as well my senior year in high school, unfortunately I checked it out from the school library near the end of the year and had to return it. I remember the story about the out of shape middle aged man who traps his wife's killer under a ton on asphalt and repaves the road over him. That, like most of King's work, was brilliant. I may just have to pick up that book from the public library and check out the rest of the stories.
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Because I'm everyone!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 73
Zarthrax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha'mad Conde View Post
Do you mean 1984? Otherwise, I don't know what you mean. The only book titled 1985 I could find was a critique of the book 1984.

-'Mad
Pretty sure a different author wrote a sequel called 1985. Unfortunately, I can only remember seeing it at my public library close to five years ago, so it's doubtful that they still have it, since they moved.
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Spicy Meatball
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
Is the principle behind '1985' anything like 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies'?

Last edited by JayRob; Dec 16th, 2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Mostly comes out at night

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2989
Noghri Sloth Noghri Sloth Noghri Sloth Noghri Sloth Noghri Sloth Noghri Sloth Noghri Sloth Noghri Sloth Noghri Sloth Noghri Sloth Noghri Sloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noghri Sloth View Post
Power vs. Force: The Hidden Determinants of Human Behavior
by David Hawkins M.D. Ph.D
I have moved on! I am now reading, Discovering of the Presence of God: Devotional Nonduality.

Also by David Hawkins.

Oh, yeah, and I suppose I may occasionally reading a chapter or two of The Orc King by R.A. Salvatore when I am not deeply involved in my spiritualistic literature.
Old Dec 17th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Quintessential Halfling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3282
KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi
Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume One.
It's narrated by the sidekick.
How cool is that?

And at the same time, Invisible Man. By HG Wells.
It's awesome.