RPG Crossing
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 01-21-2019, 09:10 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5091
McQuiggin McQuiggin McQuiggin McQuiggin McQuiggin McQuiggin McQuiggin McQuiggin McQuiggin McQuiggin McQuiggin
Hello again, everyone. I wanted to put up a list of games that are available to apply for. If you have any interest at all in league play, then you've come to the right place. Below is a list of games that are recruiting and how many spots are available in each. For more information check out the details HERE.

Season AdventureAvailable Slots
Season 1 - Tyranny of Dragons 2/2 Reserve Spots Open
Season 2 - Elemental Evil 2/2 Reserve Spots Open
Season 3 - Rage of Demons 3/5 Spots Open
Season 4- Curse of Strahd) 2/2 Reserve Spots Open
Season 5 - Storm King's Thunder 5/5 Spots Open
Season 6 - Tales From the Yawning Portal 2/5 Spots Open
Season 7 - Tomb of Annihilation 5/5 Spots Open
Season 8 - Dragon Heist and Dungeon of the Mad Mage 5/5 Spots Open

~Oath of Sangus~
Old 01-21-2019, 12:01 PM
Oregonian Wyvern

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3517
Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith
Trying to atone for causing trouble, McQuiggin?
Old 01-21-2019, 12:23 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1448
Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQuiggin View Post
Hello again, everyone. I wanted to put up a list of games that are available to apply for. If you have any interest at all in league play, then you've come to the right place. Below is a list of games that are recruiting and how many spots are available in each. For more information check out the details HERE.
May I ask a silly question? What distinguishes 'League Play' from Normal Play?
Is it simply because it uses the pre-published modules and 'standard build rules' (PHB, standard array/point-buy, etc.)? Or, is there something else involved that I'm not getting?
Old 01-21-2019, 01:52 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5432
Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith
One way to look at it is that it's hardly different at all...a couple of rules tweaks, some standardization. But if you were playing in an official group at a store or something, it can be quite different.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:09 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
McQuiggin McQuiggin McQuiggin McQuiggin McQuiggin McQuiggin McQuiggin McQuiggin McQuiggin McQuiggin McQuiggin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange2099 View Post
May I ask a silly question? What distinguishes 'League Play' from Normal Play?
Is it simply because it uses the pre-published modules and 'standard build rules' (PHB, standard array/point-buy, etc.)? Or, is there something else involved that I'm not getting?
Keep in mind too, that we aren't officially playing in the league as of yet. The official rules say that any online play is valid league play but there are things that have to be worked out before we officially say it's league play. If it happens at all. Arachobia hasn't offically declared the games as League play, just that we are playing Adventure's League modules.

The biggest difference in league play, is that you can take your character and play it in any official DnD game at any location. Provided, of course, that your character is the required level for the adventure. HERE is the link to read more on Organized Play.

~Oath of Sangus~
Old 01-21-2019, 03:10 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numen Wraith View Post
Trying to atone for causing trouble, McQuiggin?
I have no idea what you are talking about.

~Oath of Sangus~
Old 01-21-2019, 08:31 PM
Oregonian Wyvern

Tools
User Statistics
Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith
Old 01-21-2019, 11:51 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18
Marten
left-aligned image
Glóin
  • Character name Glóin
  • Character Sheet Glóin
  • Race Mountain Dwarf
  • Class Cleric (Life)
  • Passive Wisdom (Perception) 14
  • Background Sailor
  • The faction your character is part of (if any) Order of the Gauntlet
  • AlignmentLawful Good
  • 2 Personality Traits My friends know they can rely on me, no matter what.
    I am tolerant of other faiths that are not evil and respect the worship of other gods.
  • Ideal Fairness. We all do the work, so we all share in the rewards.
  • Bond I would die to recover an ancient relic of my faith that was lost long ago.
  • Flaw My pride will probably lead to my destruction.

Last edited by Marten; 01-22-2019 at 01:25 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:56 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5942
Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia
McQuiggin has done some research and found that what I'm doing would be appropriate for league play - in that you could take a character from this game to an Adventurer's League game of the appropriate level.

The main issue is that except for season 8, I'm still using the old rules for level gains and items because I don't have converted adventures from the first 7 seasons or know how to convert them. But if we can figure that out, then the character you make here is legal for League play.

Personally, I mostly wanted to run this because I find the modules are written in a very unique way compared to other D&D adventures and I wanted to use the AL rules about character creation because balance is a bit more important for the modules than other games.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:49 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18
Marten
BTW, I am applying for Season 6
Old 01-22-2019, 01:44 AM
Oregonian Wyvern

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachobia View Post
McQuiggin ...
Nosy little git.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:32 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1448
Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099
Hi Berith & McQuiggin (and, of course, Arachobia!), thanks for answering my question and explaining the background about ‘League Play’.
I have another silly question for you: is there any continuity at all between the “Seasons” in terms of recommended order of play (either in terms of story content or, I think I know the answer is ‘no’ but would it even be possible to take a single character through all the modules?), or not really (for the case of the ‘single character’, would the answer be “not without starting over from level 1, level 2 for season 6”)?
Old 01-22-2019, 06:30 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5432
Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith
The modules are long. I'm running Hoard of the Dragon Queen right now, and I think it takes characters from level 1 to level 14 or so...so if one character did a whole season, it would be over leveled for most or all of the next adventure.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:00 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5942
Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia
There is an overarching story that flows through season 1 to season 5 with recurring characters but it'd not be possible for a single character to do all the adventures. Each season is self-contained in terms of level progression.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:43 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange2099 View Post
Hi Berith & McQuiggin (and, of course, Arachobia!), thanks for answering my question and explaining the background about ‘League Play’.
I have another silly question for you: is there any continuity at all between the “Seasons” in terms of recommended order of play (either in terms of story content or, I think I know the answer is ‘no’ but would it even be possible to take a single character through all the modules?), or not really (for the case of the ‘single character’, would the answer be “not without starting over from level 1, level 2 for season 6”)?
There are follow on adventures for the different seasons. So that answer to your question is, No you don't have to start over at level 1. For example, season one, Tyranny of Dragons has 16 modules altogether. The one I'm playing in is for levels 1 -2. There are more modules that are for levels 1-4. Then there are more modules for levels 5-10.

Also, you don't have to stay within the season either. If you have a level 2 character and want to play in a different season, you can do that too.

There are lots of options

~Oath of Sangus~