RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 02-10-2019, 07:52 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12041
OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness
This is 5th edition that I have never played, or admittedly looked at a book for, but since this is NPC and largely roleplying from what I understand is a working knowledge of 5th edition needed? My experience ends with pathfinder and 3.5.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:24 PM
The Hoarder of Stories

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2488
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDarkness View Post
This is 5th edition that I have never played, or admittedly looked at a book for, but since this is NPC and largely roleplying from what I understand is a working knowledge of 5th edition needed? My experience ends with pathfinder and 3.5.
You don't really need extreme knowledge. If you have questions, I'll let you know.

The biggest differences are with skills is that you don't put ranks into anything like you do with pathfinder/3.5. Also, there are no 5-foot steps, you have your movement, an action, and a bonus action.

The only other thing I can think of are there are no Will, Fortitude, or Reflex saves, those were merged in with the attributes. Any confusion I can help with though
Old 02-11-2019, 10:36 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness
Application
Your Name
left-aligned image

Name: Fynn Oaken
Race: Human
Job/Background: Guild Artisan (Carpenter)
Personality: Friendly, Out going, loyal, are just a few of the traits one could associate with Fynn, and is the type to have grand plans and likes to keep busy. He expects a lot from others but even more from himself, in short he prefer to spend his time with those who pull their own weight and in return he can be called on for whatever is needed.
Flaws: Work's too hard, never gives up, he pushes himself more than he should and will do whatever it takes even if he shouldn't.
Fears: Failure, as young talented woodworker with a woman disapproved by his family, Fynn's biggest fear is that this will all end badly and it will be his fault as his parents said it would.
What would you provide as a member of the town?: Fynn is a builder of all things wooden, furniture, walls, houses, there is no end to what his skill set can provide a new village starting out.
What would you want to see provided to the town?: While he can dovetail wood as needed to build a structure, a worker of metals would be largely beneficial for spikes, blade sharpening or even new blades as needed.

Spouse/Partner
right-aligned image

Name: Caitlín Oaken
Race: Human
Job/Background: Guild Artisan (Woodcarver)
Personality: Caitlin is a no nonsense woman who doesn't take crap from anyone, she doesn't shy from the tough conversations and you can be sure that she has an opinion on just about everything. She tends towards being more practical and reels Fynn in a bit when he gets a little to grandeur and is more likely than not to provide a counter for Fynn's more generous nature.
Flaws: Outspoken, Rebellious, Caitlin speaks her mind openly and is not always diplomatic which can raise tensions but in the same token ther eis never any doubt what is on her mind or what she thinks.
Fears: Drowning as she can't swim

RP Sample & Background
"Its a bit of a story how we wound up here, but it has all the makings of a good story, assuming this all ends well for us." Fynn shrugs with his typical easy smile as they continue following the others in hopes of finding the ideal site to make a home. [say]My family name is Oaks, and we have a long history in <<Insert city name here>> of being masters of all things wooden, for at least four generations and my two older brothers are firmly following in the family's footsteps. While I am on that same path, don't get me wrong, sometimes you just want to be out from under that shadow and make a name for yourself that is not a result of what your family has done before you. If that was it though I probably would have still been toiling away in the family shops, but like any good story there is a love interest as well.[say]

Caitlin looked back at her newly minted husband with a smile and an eye roll. "Sure paint me the temptress who seduced you away from you family, forced you out into the world to find yourself."

Fynn chuckles. "You have to admit Caitlin you game me a kick in the arse to strike out."

Caitlin arched an eyebrow. "Ha, somebody had to, but lets hear the rest of your little story."

Fynn smiles. "Alright. So love interest, alright so then we have the fair maiden Caitlin Glen, and her family's efforts to compete against the Oaks in the quality furniture business. Its without a doubt that Caitlin has one of the finest eyes for carving and most talent hand with a chisel that I have ever seen, but the Glen's lacked the same connections that the Oaks had built up over the years in the city. Words had been said, grudges had been formed and the competition has been fierce. Its not surprising that in the heat of competition that sometimes more than anger can spark from the flames."

Caitlin laughs. "Good gods Fynn, you fancy yourself some sort of Bard now."

Fynn continues on. "When I first laid eyes upon Caitlin it was at Miller Thren's, there had been word a fresh shipment of fine cherry had arrived which has been more rare as of late, and I had been sent to secure the needed wood. Gods she was the prettiest woman I had ever seen and the fierceness of her bargaining made her even more attractive, needless to say I was enthralled and the bargaining did not quite go in my favor and she had secured at least half the consignment of cherry despite my connections. While my father would be furious I didn't care, and when Thren offered us a mid day meal, I quickly accepted in hopes of learning more about her."

Looking up at the mountains in the distance, Fynn is quiet for a moment. "Despite what she says, there must have been something about me that she liked, as when I proposed we share a meal later that week she accepted. Now under normal circumstances nobody should have cared, and in fact they would have been happy for us, but our families were less than thrilled when word filtered back to them our budding relationship. Thats putting it mildly as well, and despite our efforts to keep our meetings quiet and private, it just never seemed to work out, and before long my father threatened to disown me and Caitlin's family was ready to do the same. It was just all too much."

Caitlin grinned. "My father considered how could he make your death look like an accident, doubt he would have gone through with it but my mother, with her cousins, who knows it could have very well come to happen."

Fynn eyes widened a bit. "You don't say. Well as you can see it was a bit of hostile space to work in, and in the end we made our own choice and decided some peace and quiet, with a fresh start, was just the thing to let our families calm down. So in a private ceremony we sealed our union and hopped at the opportunity to get a little space from things, and when we heard about this endeavor it sounded just the thing."

Fynn stretched. "What about you friend what brings you on this little trek?"

Thoughts on the others
The Lorelay's: Alvan and Ester were welcome additions to the expedition, bringing some much needed healing expertise and skilled hand at hunting who could put food on the table. There were bound to be other benefits such as Alvan being able to mix resins, stains or glues if need be and the furs and skins from Ester's hunting would come in handy on the cold nights. They appeared happy enough, though Caitlin worried Ester was a bit quiet, and there was something unnerving about your healer frequently joking about death.

Miratris & Erazin: Neither Fynn nor Caitlin had met a minotaur personally before introduced and were properly awed by their stature, and Fynn's mouth was watering at the thought of fresh breads and pies. Caitlin was more than pleased that Miratris was a skilled smith, for a carver without her tools would be in dire straights indeed. Truthfully there was only so much a good carpenter could do with an equally good Smith, for hinges, nails and fasteners would make my projects so much easier. They appreciate Erazin's generous and easy going attitude, and respect Miratris's work ethic.

Last edited by OneDarkness; 02-12-2019 at 01:36 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:38 PM
CommunityCoffee Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8726
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Application
right-aligned image
Name: Miratris

Race: Minotaur

Job/Background: Blacksmith

Personality: Mira loves shaping metal, and making tools and instruments that make life easier for others. She mostly loves that she is getting paid for doing this, and thus fully supporting herself and family.

Flaws: She tends to stay too long at the forge in the evenings, and is sometimes hard to wake in the morning. Sometimes, she'll have to be roused out of bed if it's early in the morning, or even mid morning on occasion.

Fears: That it will all be taken away from from her and she'll go back to being indentured, or slave. Not as outgoing as her husband, but when in his company she tends to let her guard down.

Background: Miratris is from a distant town and community where she was an indentured servant for many years, moving up from a slave only slightly. With everything being charged against her, even the hay she slept on, she never had enough coin to do anything except eat.
Her husband, Erazin, is from a family of civilized Minataur in a more civilized but equally distant town. They met in the market square one day and after several months of secretly meeting, they ran away together. He has a skill and affinity for baking, and is far from the warrior type. She has been Smithing for years. They were recently married, right here in town and have a small home herein.

What would you provide as a member of the town? Access to basic weapon stores, metal repairs, perhaps a town bell, etc. Mostly, stability as she could cater to locals and travelers alike.

What would you want to see provided to the town?: Town coffers, slowly of course, a local hall perhaps, and shindigs on occasion so all can get together.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Spouse/Partner
Name: Erazin

Race: Minotaur

Job/Background: Baker

Personality: Erazin is a big teddy bear and softie. He loves cooking and baking in particular. He always bakes a few small cakes in the shape of things children will love and will give them away when they come in with their parents.

Flaws: Kind-hearted, almost to a fault.

Fears: That his business will fail and that he'll let down the love of his life, Miratris.

RP Sample:
Erazin telling a friend who hasn't heard the full tale how he came to the town and how he came to be the town baker. "Yeah, folk tend to get us confused all the time. Oft think I'm the Smith and she's the baker. Not a good idea to say that to her though.
I don't think it upsets her coz' she's a female, I think it's coz she can't imagine having to cook all day and get up that early."

He chuckles.

"She's a free spirit alright. I can't believe she lasted as long as she did under the boots of those cruel people. She was sold as a young pup into servitude, says she doesn't know by whom and never found out. Learned to hammer steel at an early age, and when they found she was good at it, they took all the coin from her work. Even charged her for room, board, tools, food and everything so she remained indebted and couldn't leave.
Here I come along, from a family of warriors, but with a family who loved me enough to let me choose my own path. Still, you know how hard it is to get work as a Baker when you look like I do. Yeah, I got blessed by the Gods with the size, stature, and strength of my kin for doing battle, but it makes people think I can't churn butter right, or mix a good berry pie sauce. I know, right?
Anyway, we met at a local festival, far, far from here where she was buying food on a rare day off, and I was shopping for ideas on baking. We both couldn't believe what the other did, and it met with a lot of laughs. For me, I'll tell you, it was love the first moment I laid eyes on her.
Didn't take long to see she was never getting out of that servitude, and I would never have the coin to buy off her debt, so... we ran away. Far, far away to here.
I set up shop as a Baker, and she set up her Smithy forge. We couldn't wait and got married a week after we got here. You were there. Nice, wasn't it? "

Possible Tie-ins/Relationships

Alvan & Ester Lorelay: Miratris would take up quickly with Ester and try and make the best weapons for her hunting skills. Being the 'more physically formidable of the marriage would be something they have in common as well. Erazin would take to Alvan and do back and forth trading of herbs and spices for cooking and what not. In fact, it may be Alvan who is the friend he is speaking to above in my RP sample.

Flyn and Caitlín Oaken: Miratris would work with both of them for their woodworking tools, and like feedback as well as word of mouth on how good they are. She'd make anything custom they like. Just like the Lorelay's, she'd take to Caitlín being more aggressive, and only friends of Miratris would know she's that way as well due to her more quiet demeanor in public.

Last edited by Drachenspirit; 02-11-2019 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:04 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Think I got all the important bits done, let me know if you have any questions or if something should be fleshed out some more.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:54 PM
---ALL HEART---

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2292
Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer
TheDragonQueen, blessings for your family.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:59 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Think I'm done as well. Love my young couple!
Old 02-11-2019, 05:18 PM
The Hoarder of Stories

Tools
User Statistics
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Gamer View Post
TheDragonQueen, blessings for your family.
Thank you
Old 02-11-2019, 05:31 PM
The Hoarder of Stories

Tools
User Statistics

Old 02-11-2019, 05:41 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics

Last edited by OneDarkness; 02-11-2019 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:03 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Added some possible tie-ins/relationships to those applications that have been approved. Please let me know what you think and expound on them if you like.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:33 PM
Catch Phrase

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2143
mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb
Sounds good to me relationship wise. Though I think the plan was we start the town from scratch? Either way the characters have likely had a chance to get to know each other.
Everyone probably knows that Ester is sweet and tough but not overly talkative. Alvan is tenative at first but will talk forever about things that interest him and occasionally needs Ester to rein him in or snap him back to the present. Or just tells him when the jokes get to dark. She is not however above getting caught up in his shenanigans at times. She occasionally surprises people with a more adventurous and spontaneous attitude. Both are ultimatly friendly sorts willing to help however they can.
Pending GM approval Alvan would have tried to bring as many books as possible and likely lends them as well as acts as a pro-bono doctor. Its really only the more magic stuff he charges for.

With the Miratris and Erazin I think those relationships as suggested sound fine. I can see my nerd elf getting on with the buff Baker and talking spices while the wives talk weapons and stuff. Screw gender norms amiright?

With the Oakens Alvan would likely worry a bit about Flyn overworking himself and likely gives him stuff to help with the fatigue (mild stimulants and stuff to help him sleep)
but likely has no idea what to do with his more aggressive wife. Ester and the Oakens might get on a bit better as she can point out where all the best wood is found. Depends on if Caitlin ever snaps at Alvan. She is usually the passive long suffering type but can turn pretty vicious and protective when given a proper motivation.

Last edited by mjb; 02-11-2019 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:40 PM
The Hoarder of Stories

Tools
User Statistics
I like the tie ins.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:43 PM
The Hoarder of Stories

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb View Post
Though I think the plan was we start the town from scratch? Either way the characters have likely had a chance to get to know each other.
Correct, but you have had a few months of travel time to get to know each other by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb View Post
Pending GM approval Alvan would have tried to bring as many books as possible and likely lends them as well as acts as a pro bono doctor. Its really only the more magic stuff he charges for.
That's fine, I may have you roll a few dice and have a small chance of some of those books being destroyed, but you can have them. Pro bono is pretty much how the whole village is going to get started, tbh.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:02 PM

Tools
User Statistics
If it's "that" newly started of a town, then maybe my characters' wedding could take place soon after start?