RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 02-12-2019, 09:02 PM
---ALL HEART---

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2292
Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer
~WIP~

Application
Classic Gamer aka Raymond Luxury-Yacht

Name: Briley Rue
Race: Half Elf
Job/Background: Wizard's Apprentice
Personality: Adorable Boy Wonder
Flaws:
Fears:
Background:
What would you provide as a member of the town?
What would you want to see provided to the town?

Spouse/Partner
N/A unless required
Name:
Race:
Personality:
Flaws:
Fears:

RP Sample "They killed him! They killed Master Glyn!"---(CLIFFHANGER! TBC)

Last edited by Classic Gamer; 02-12-2019 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:54 AM
The walking dad!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1472
ProfPaulBlemma ProfPaulBlemma ProfPaulBlemma ProfPaulBlemma ProfPaulBlemma ProfPaulBlemma ProfPaulBlemma ProfPaulBlemma ProfPaulBlemma ProfPaulBlemma
Hi, Queen! There is a relevant question to define my character:

You said magic is rare and that's an important parameter of the World, but what is your approach to magic item creation and spell creation?

What is most interesting in this game is that a +19287634 full plate of complete godly invulnerability and a maxed/empowered/ragnarocked fireball in your book are more or less as useful as a good knife or a trusted lumber axe (sometimes much less than those), but a forge that keeps itself hot and a spell to make a wall straight can be of so much value that people would be bound to actively look for it.

As it seems that 5e goes very vague on magic item creation and spell creation, how do you intend to approach it (..and, again, I understand it would all be very rare)?

If you say "I will give you a try in the future, if your character goes for it", I will make a character that will research on magic for the good of all, otherwise, I will go for a "magic is not reliable" kind of guy.

One interesting approach would be to make us go for magic from the ground up: there is no magical instruction, so we would have to research everything from scratch. Learning a cantrip (or rather creating one!) would be a large victory and spell effects would be very, very subtle. No fireballs!

Ex: A first level spell could tell where is there the largest animal in a quarter of a mile... another first level spell would make the primitive concrete that binds a rock wall dry in minutes instead of days. A third level spell could slow poison. All those spells should require intensive research to be created.

Is it feasible and in line with what you want, or do you prefer a magic-free world, with magic being only legend material or the distant pinnacle of civilization? (both options can be very fun to play!)
Old 02-13-2019, 08:21 AM
The Hoarder of Stories

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2488
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen
I like the concept of researching and being able to discover things, but it will be challenging and a long process. If that's going to be your full time job, it'll be about 10 weeks for you to learn/create one spell.

Magic items can be created, but again will take time. It'll take a least four weeks per level item, you would need to know the spell that is attached to create the item, have the materials (subjected to consideration on each item since this isn't something in the game necessarily) and then a few rolls that could cause you to fail and lose everything. It's a risky business. At your level currently it's not a fesible option.

If you do other work for the group and then focus on learning magic on the side it'll take you 20 weeks to learn/create one new spell.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:49 AM
The walking dad!

Tools
User Statistics
ProfPaulBlemma ProfPaulBlemma ProfPaulBlemma ProfPaulBlemma ProfPaulBlemma ProfPaulBlemma ProfPaulBlemma ProfPaulBlemma ProfPaulBlemma ProfPaulBlemma
Well, that falls into the category I thought I would go for.

I think it will take even more time for learning/creating a spell, since Pietro (if that turns out to be the final name of the character) will be a builder/architect/engineer and that will take a lot of time from him, especially to (and that is my first goal) create those contraptions that make sense from a medieval scientific/technological standpoint, but are complex to build and fun to see working (and that will solve problems for the village).

I see my character as more or less like a DaVinci of his time (without the super powers commonly attributed to him, whether or not the real DaVinci truly had them) and that means he will put his nose everywhere... so magic will not be completely out, but it will definitely not be his focal point.

Thanks, Queen!

On the other hand, my focal point will be the medieval engineering, so I think I should submit a bit of it, so you can tell me if that is well in what you think for the game.

Examples:
  • He would go taking samples of many different types of local soil and testing them drying together and alone in order to find the best construction materials to use, testing which ones are best in heat isolation, hardness, resiliency, etc. With this, he would design each building to have optimal characteristics (warm in winter, fresh in summer, no leaks, sturdy...)
  • He would design and build gear-based devices such as a power hammer (a mechanical hammer for metal working) powered by a water well or windmill (or both)
  • He would definitely create an automated irrigation system using water wells and small aqueducts.
  • He would study local plants and see which ones are more edible and then establish agricultural techniques appropriate to them (and even tasty recipes using them...)

Creativity and medieval thinking (tuned towards automation) will be the limits of creation and skill rolls will be the limits of success.

Do you think it is OK for you? Would you enjoy playing with that?

Last edited by ProfPaulBlemma; 02-13-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:01 AM
The Hoarder of Stories

Tools
User Statistics
TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen TheDragonQueen
A medieval engineer is fine. But you can inly be proficient with so many toola so you may not be able to do all those things on your own.

For example, to build an irrigation system you would need to have rhe help of a herbalist or gardener or druid to ensure it has the appropriate water and distance etc.

The whole point will be to work together
Old 02-13-2019, 01:21 PM
The walking dad!

Tools
User Statistics
Perfectly right!

The point of the character is to be a renaissance man, not a one-man-show.

For building a power hammer he would need the help of a smithy... who else knows best where to hit?

For irrigation, a farmer or herbalist... or he would lay the perfect canals in all the wrong places!

...and so on and so forth.

He would not be able to build most of his contraptions alone. Even if he is (and he may be, to some limited extent) a smithy and a mason and a carpenter and an everything else, he simply can't be in more than one place at a time and he simply can't lift a 400 Kg water wheel on his own.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:12 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2551
Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus
Changed my app, i kept the same jobs just different characters. I had an inspired moment as i was trying to figure out the characters i was originally planning for this. Background is finished.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:35 AM

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
CptMurphy
Application
Character
Picture: TBD
Name: Orsys Goldengrove
Race: Rock Gnome
Job/Background: Village Priest/Healer/Tinker/Tailor
Personality: Unfailingly jolly. Always sees the good in everyone. Self-appointed spiritual guardian of the group.
Flaws: Busybody. Desperate for others' approval. Short attention span for boring things.
Fears: Reptiles (especially Kobolds), Mediocrity
Provides: Healing. His best attempt at birth, marriage, and death services for most major good deities though he primarily worships Garl Glittergold. Tailoring. Possibly locksmithing if the group needs it. Minor tinkering work to save blacksmith/armorsmith/etc. from small projects.
Desires: A church open to all non-evil gods' worshippers. A tavern/inn so locals and travelers can be in one place for him to talk to. Sick house. Public holidays/festivals/contests. Iron mine for basic tools.

Spouse
Name: Rowena
Race: Forest Gnome
Job/Background: Shepherd/Goatherd/Chicken(herd?)/Farmer
Personality: Shy. Animal person. Diligent. Slow to anger. Protective. Motherly. Vegetarian. Raises her animals for eggs, milk, and wool.
Flaws: Neurotic about others around her flocks. Nervous around strangers. Slow to trust. Sometimes needs others' problems explained in terms of small animal problems.
Fears: Wolves, foxes, badgers, and similar.
Provides: Midwife services. Vegetarian cooking. Wool. Eggs. Milk. She will sell others animals to start flocks for food, she just won't eat her own animal friends.
Desires: Chicken coop, animal pens (for their protection). Open grazing land nearby. Vegetable garden. Town watch. Market to bring seed and stock merchants. A better dressmaker than her husband.

Last edited by CptMurphy; 02-14-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:27 PM
The Hoarder of Stories

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beez View Post
Posting interest for a temple acolyte. You mentioned a linked site in your post, but didn't actually link a site. Also, is there a write-up for building rules? Or a list of what gods are available, make my own, etc?
Sorry I'm just seeing this. I removed the link and placed a list of options to make it easier since all the options didn't fit necessarily.

I have building rules once people are selected but for now its generalized concepts.

All d&d gods are allowed.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:13 AM
The Hoarder of Stories

Tools
User Statistics
For those who have started their applications, please let me know when you're finished so I can review them
Old 02-15-2019, 11:23 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1386
Outmind Outmind Outmind Outmind Outmind Outmind Outmind Outmind Outmind Outmind
Finally, a game with town building in it!

Definitely posting interest and will be putting up a barebones app later today.

Quick question on jobs - can your characters have more than one job if the jobs are closely related or if one of the jobs is seasonal?

Specifically, I want to make a miner who also knows how to purify the ore and smelt it into ingots. His wife would be a herbalist who knows how to keep bees and make honey / mead. Would that be OK? If not right away, could the characters develop their secondary professions during the game?
Old 02-15-2019, 12:59 PM
The walking dad!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonQueen View Post
For those who have started their applications, please let me know when you're finished so I can review them
I intend to finish mine today, worst case tomorrow night.

PS: How hard it is to find good harpsichord renaissance music on YouTube these days...

Last edited by ProfPaulBlemma; 02-15-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:05 PM
The Hoarder of Stories

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outmind View Post
Finally, a game with town building in it!

Definitely posting interest and will be putting up a barebones app later today.

Quick question on jobs - can your characters have more than one job if the jobs are closely related or if one of the jobs is seasonal?

Specifically, I want to make a miner who also knows how to purify the ore and smelt it into ingots. His wife would be a herbalist who knows how to keep bees and make honey / mead. Would that be OK? If not right away, could the characters develop their secondary professions during the game?
I'd start with one profession and learn the other.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:43 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1386
Outmind Outmind Outmind Outmind Outmind Outmind Outmind Outmind Outmind Outmind
Ferenz Stonesheath

left-aligned image

Name: Ferenz Stonesheath
Race: Dwarf
Job/Background: Miner

Personality: Ferenz is a gruff dwarf with a distatte for social niceties and peoplehe'd deem to be idlers. A man of actions rather than words, his close friends know that an approving nod from Ferenz is among the highest forms of recognition one can hope to receive. That's not to say that Ferenz is secretive or anti-social - a few pints of mead will have him regale "interested " listeners with tales of his mining exploits. If you really get him hammered, you'll also discover that Ferenz has a passable baritone he mostly wastes on ancient dwarven drinking ditties.

Ferenz is of the belief that everyone is responsible for their own destiny. Not one to be flustered by life's setbacks, he is contented to start anew and shape a tiny corner of the world to his liking. As long as Gutrun is by his side and his arm is strong enough to wield pick & shovel, Ferenz is a contented dwarf.

Flaws: Ferenz is slow to change his opinion of people once his mind is made up. This can lead to heated disagreements which are exacerbated by Ferenz's high opinion of himself and his abilities. While he will defer to the experience of another craftsman, Ferenz has little patience for scholarly types and other layabouts who can't tell the difference between a miner's pick and an ice climbing tool

Fears:

Ferenz is accustomed to hard labor and an active lifestyle. Thus he has developed a high constitution which he is proud of. His biggest fear is not being able to provide for his family due to frailty or illness. He isn't exactly a hypochondriac but develops concerns bordering on the paranormal if he i afflicted in some way. The common cold is enough to make his mood sour, while serious injuries, poison, or other afflictions fill his heart with dread.

Background:

The Stonesheath clan was never a household name in dwarven society, yet they managed to quietly carve out a living by carving out the bowels of their ancestral mountain home. It was during the time of Ferenz's grandfather Androsh that things started going awry. Ever deeper shafts had o be built to reach profitable ore deposits. The neighboring surface kingdom's civil war didn't help either, leading to dereased trade and a drastic increase in the population of highwaymen that couldn't regain their place in mormal society once the dust of battle had settled.

After a few more decades of fruitless struggle, Ferenz's father and uncles decided it was time to disperse the clan. Each family as given their share of the meager funds that were left and went to pursue other opportunities. Some of them became engineers and blacksmiths. Dania's father decided to hold true to the family business and start up a mine elsewhere. It took him a few false starts, but Dania Stonesheathe managed to establish a small yet well-run iron mine what he felt was a good distance away from their tumultuous
homeland.

Ferenz was old enough to remember the scattering and took much of his father's perseverance and stoicism to heart. Things settled down enough for Ferenz to learn everything his father could teach him about mining and the myriad associated tasks that kept a successful mine afloat.The regional instabilities had managed to spread by the time Ferenz assumed his father's duties. When Dania Died of consumption, a grief-stricken Ferenz started contemplating his own mortality for the first time. His father's frail body and coughing fits left a deep impression on him - Ferenz knew he would end up like his father one day, yet hoped to stave fate off with grit and hard work.

Falling in love with and marrying Gutrun restored his vitality, yet their happiness was to be short-lived. The kingdom Dania purchased a mining concession from was going to war against their neighbors and began demanding ever larger ore shipments. Ferenz and his workers did the best to keep up with the demand, but it quickly became apparent this was merely a pretense to gain back control of the mine.

Gutrun watched with trepidation as it became clear that the mine was a lost cause. Ferenz, on the other hand, knew what to do - pack what they can carry and start anew.

What would you provide as a member of the town?
Even though he's a miner by trade, Ferenz has no qualms about getting his hands dirty. He'd eventually like to run a full-fledged mining operation, but realizes that this might not be feasible right away. His keen eye is able to spot stone and mineral deposits which will surely be of use during the early stages of construction. The time he spent down mining shafts has also left him with a working understanding of cranes, pulleys, elevators, and wooden support structures.

What would you want to see provided to the town?

A smelter where ore would be refined into ingots. A blacksmith's forge that owuld provide the townsfolk with items fashioned from said ingots. A trading station to sell the excess and supply the people with things they can't make on their own. Bigger dreams will have to wait for now.

GutrunSpouse/Partner

Name: Gutrun Stonesheath
Race: Dwarf
Job/Background: Herbalist

Personality: Gutrun is the Ying to Ferenz's Yang. She's a cheerful, contemplative woman who has a knack for settling disputes and judging both sides of an argument impartially. She puts up with her husband's outspoken prejudices, all the while chipping away at some of their rougher edges. Gutrun's temper is slow to heat up, but when it finally does boil over, you'd better not be its target.

Gureun was an adopted child who spent her maiden days learning about the royal forests and their rich ecosystem. She knows her way around flora and fauna and could easily survive with nothing but the knowledge in her mind and a canopy above her head, a practice she engages in from time to time when the bickering of neighbors and her husband's idiosyncrasies become too much.

Flaws:

Gutrun isn't exactly lady-like. She'll butcher a rabbit, offer you a tea that remedies... youthful indiscretions, or drink you under the table without batting an eyelash. This may cause the prudish women in her new community to shun her, especially once they realize she doesn't much care for religious ceremonies.

Fears:
Gutrun is struggling with one of her greatest fears right now - the fear of change. The forest near the Stonesheaths' last mine was the only home she knew, and her tranquil life was uprooted when she was already of marrying age. utrun didn't build up the mental resillience that shaped Ferenz into the stoic dwarf he is and will adjust to their new circumstances much harder.

Ironically for a dwarf, she's also afraid of being trapped. Living in the open has left her suspicious of cramped spaces, especially if no exit out of them is apparent. She insists on keeping at least one window open at night, much to Ferenz's chagrin. She can function normally in buildings and will even brave the depths of a mine shaft if there's a breeze to reassure her, but if Gutrun ever feels like she can't get out from somewhere, she freezes up and starts hyperventilating.

RP Sample

Last edited by Outmind; 02-18-2019 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:38 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2551
Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus
Kora and Bjorn are complete