RPG Crossing
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 04-04-2019, 04:36 PM
Wreathed in Flame

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3234
MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast
Seekr34: If you can give me a link to it, I'll at least take a look at it. Firbolgs, incidentally, aren't Karredrim, and would probably fall among the wild races among which the free Karredrim have lived for centuries. That doesn't necessarily mean they're out of the question as a PC, but you'd need a good story to explain why someone without an ancestral tie to Karredrim, and who might be resented by Varad and his followers, is deciding to go and adventure there. Is it personal loyalty to someone? Curiosity? A desire to cleanse and restore the lands of Karredral, even if they aren't his lands?

Kymrel: That's a fantastic application, and the backstory fits very nicely with the setting information. I'm intrigued by how Devon's history might set him somewhat at odds with Varad. Unlike Varad, Devon does have a lineage that stretches back to the aristocracy of old Karredrim, and a direct connection to the dark magic of the sorcerer-lords. Devon might not want that legacy, and might not be out to try and reclaim the power his family once held... but he's still the heir to that power, and Varad (and a lot of other people, probably) aren't going to overlook it. Varad's going to want him on his side - he wants anyone who can help reclaim Karredral - but there might be a sort of "keep your friends close and your enemies closer" dynamic going on there. Meanwhile, Devon's going to have several good reasons for exploring and adventuring in Karredral - both to help the people trying to settle there, and to try to learn about his lineage and how to undo the family curse. That gives me a lot to work with.

Still_Pond: You know... gnomes could be an elder race, but I'd actually sort of been playing with the idea of having them be Karredrim - an engineered human subspecies like the goliaths, bred for intelligence and curiosity rather than strength and hardiness. Where the goliath were created as soldiers for the sorcerer-lords of Karredrim, the gnomes were created as engineers, architects, scribes, librarians, lab assistants, etc., doing the grunt work for all that magical innovation that was going on at Karredral's height. If that's the case, then you could get gnomish survivors of the fall of Karredral living among the exiles in particular, since the elder races would all be able to find uses for gnomish intellect and ingenuity. That would also make gnomes a lot more able to fit into the game as PCs. How does that grab you?
Old 04-04-2019, 04:46 PM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1492
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Always wanted to play a Goliath that was partnered with a gnome, ha ha.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:00 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1396
kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryBeast View Post
Kymrel: That's a fantastic application, and the backstory fits very nicely with the setting information. I'm intrigued by how Devon's history might set him somewhat at odds with Varad. Unlike Varad, Devon does have a lineage that stretches back to the aristocracy of old Karredrim, and a direct connection to the dark magic of the sorcerer-lords. Devon might not want that legacy, and might not be out to try and reclaim the power his family once held... but he's still the heir to that power, and Varad (and a lot of other people, probably) aren't going to overlook it. Varad's going to want him on his side - he wants anyone who can help reclaim Karredral - but there might be a sort of "keep your friends close and your enemies closer" dynamic going on there. Meanwhile, Devon's going to have several good reasons for exploring and adventuring in Karredral - both to help the people trying to settle there, and to try to learn about his lineage and how to undo the family curse. That gives me a lot to work with.
Good to know, thanks for that. I was thinking along the same lines for Devon's relationship with Varad. In his mind, Devon might represents the old world, the ancient families with all that entails. Therefore, just like you say, Varad may want to use Devon, but keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't get any ideas about taking power for himself.

I have to say that I love the idea of gnomes as magically engineered beings like the Goliaths. It makes them intriguingly different from gnomes in "normal" settings.

I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:36 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 269
Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya
Interesting pitch! I've thought up a somewhat unconventional concept for it. Would you be okay with a Vampire? I'd like to play a remnant of Karredral's past. The idea is that she's been sleeping in an underground tomb, awaiting rescue. Except that rescue came several centuries later than expected. She's only just been unearthed by the recent wave of explorers. Being dormant for so long has left her weak, and almost bereft of memory. So any historians looking for answers will likely be disappointed. She has no idea what destroyed her home.

I like the thought of playing someone trying to find her place in a new age. She'd likely evoke conflicting feelings from the expedition. On the one hand, she's a genuine native of the old Empire. On the other hand, she's a Vampire. So should they recruit her, or destroy her? OOC, she definitely can be trusted. I have no desire to play an evil character. But the characters themselves don't know that yet.

So, does this sound viable to you?

Last edited by Kaiya; 04-04-2019 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:51 PM
Wreathed in Flame

Tools
User Statistics
MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiya View Post
Interesting pitch! I've thought up a somewhat unconventional concept for it. Would you be okay with a Vampire? I'd like to play a remnant of Karredral's past. The idea is that she's been sleeping in an underground tomb, awaiting rescue. Except that rescue came several centuries later than expected. She's only just been unearthed by the recent wave of explorers. Being dormant for so long has left her weak, and almost bereft of memory. So any historians looking for answers will likely be disappointed. She has no idea what destroyed her home.

I like the thought of playing someone trying to find her place in a new age. She'd likely evoke conflicting feelings from the expedition. On the one hand, she's a genuine native of the old Empire. On the other hand, she's a Vampire. So should they recruit her, or destroy her? OOC, she definitely can be trusted. I have no desire to play an evil character. But the characters themselves don't know that yet.

So, does this sound viable to you?
That's an interesting idea, but it'd be really hard to integrate with the starting party - not for game balance reasons, but for narrative ones. I don't know exactly what the party's starting circumstances will be (and won't really know until we've got a starting party), but any initial scenario that's got this character in it would quickly become all about this character in a way that's not entirely fair to everyone else in the game. There's also some pretty serious logistical problems - if she's with the group, we now need an entire group that's okay with restricting outdoor activities to nighttime, to say nothing of aiding (or at least turning a blind eye to) her need to drink blood. That's imposing a lot of requirements on the rest of the group in order to make it work.

I don't think it's going to work, I'm afraid. Sorry.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:58 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 269
Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryBeast View Post
That's an interesting idea, but it'd be really hard to integrate with the starting party - not for game balance reasons, but for narrative ones. I don't know exactly what the party's starting circumstances will be (and won't really know until we've got a starting party), but any initial scenario that's got this character in it would quickly become all about this character in a way that's not entirely fair to everyone else in the game. There's also some pretty serious logistical problems - if she's with the group, we now need an entire group that's okay with restricting outdoor activities to nighttime, to say nothing of aiding (or at least turning a blind eye to) her need to drink blood. That's imposing a lot of requirements on the rest of the group in order to make it work.

I don't think it's going to work, I'm afraid. Sorry.
That's pretty much the answer I expected. But I thought I'd check anyway, just in case.

Oh, minor nitpick: PC Vampires aren't harmed by sunlight. They definitely do drink blood, though.

Last edited by Kaiya; 04-04-2019 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:00 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1759
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Ok, no problem, I think I read it wrong, thought anything in Volo was accepted. No biggie. Here the link to codex unearth arcana. I have the pdf file of it.
https://www.scribd.com/document/3625...earthed-Arcana
Old 04-04-2019, 06:09 PM
Wreathed in Flame

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekr34 View Post
Ok, no problem, I think I read it wrong, thought anything in Volo was accepted. No biggie. Here the link to codex unearth arcana. I have the pdf file of it.
https://www.scribd.com/document/3625...earthed-Arcana
Hm, the Codex itself seems to be something that WotC has issued takedown requests for - I can see why, since some of the stuff in the table of contents has since gotten officially published. I should probably amend that "anything I can look at online" to "anything I can look at online legally," since I'm willing to bet that RPGX has rules about linking to bootleg content.

Is the stuff you wanted me to look at available in a normal UA release?
Old 04-04-2019, 06:15 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1609
DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold
This looks amazing. I love fast paced games and it's definitely an interesting concept. I'll try to put something up in the next day or two.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:15 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5498
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
I hate to riddle you with questions but I want to make sure I read everything correctly:
-Any regular human Karredrim would be dead at this point since it's been at least a hundred years since the empire itself fell or were all 'regular humans' tainted by the supernatural that was common to the civilization that they would have lived unnaturally long lives or kept their youth longer?
-Is this setting more leaning towards a medieval European style and feel, that's what I'm feeling or are you letting the players shape it to an extent?
Old 04-04-2019, 07:31 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Seldon
This sounds like fun and I want to apply. I just want to know if you would consider allowing me the play as a flying sword. I have made up traits for this before which was pretty much just reflavoring an high elf or UA Avariel elf subrace. Unfortunately, I was never able to actually use these traits so I would like to use them now. My basic background would be that the sword was created by an old wizard or sorcerer of Karredral and left to live and fight with the free Karredrim and has been there for the past 100 years (or however long it is, swords don't age) and is now returning to reclaim it's creator's lands.

Please let me know if you agree or don't so I can either finish this character or come up with another idea. Thanks.

Last edited by Seldon; 04-04-2019 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:35 PM
Wreathed in Flame

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthilian01 View Post
I hate to riddle you with questions but I want to make sure I read everything correctly:
-Any regular human Karredrim would be dead at this point since it's been at least a hundred years since the empire itself fell or were all 'regular humans' tainted by the supernatural that was common to the civilization that they would have lived unnaturally long lives or kept their youth longer?
-Is this setting more leaning towards a medieval European style and feel, that's what I'm feeling or are you letting the players shape it to an extent?
Riddling me with questions is what this thread's for

All of the original survivors of Karredral are long dead - it's been centuries, plural, since the disaster that destroyed the ancient empire, so even longer-lived near-human Karredrim have passed on. Every Karredrim, whether human, aasimar, genasi, or whatever, is a descendant of those survivors, but has no direct knowledge of Karredral itself.

The basic vibe I'm thinking for the setting is more European than anything else, but it's pretty heavily pulp sword-and-sorcery inflected European, rather than authentically medieval. But that will change to a certain extent depending on the applications we get. But it's not, for example, heavily Asian-influenced, the way Thousand Hidden Paths was.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:39 PM
Wreathed in Flame

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seldon View Post
This sounds like fun and I want to apply. I just want to know if you would consider allowing me the play as a flying sword. I have made up traits for this before which was pretty much just reflavoring an high elf or UA Avariel elf subrace. Unfortunately, I was never able to actually use these traits so I would like to use them now. My basic background would be that the sword was created by an old wizard or sorcerer of Karredral and left to live and fight with the free Karredrim and has been there for the past 100 years (or however long it is, swords don't age) and is now returning to reclaim it's creator's lands.
That's a creative idea, but I don't think it's going to be a good fit for this game, sorry.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:41 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Seldon
Ok. Thanks for the quick reply. I will try to come up with another idea and I will hopefully apply soon.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:47 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5498
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
One more endlessly shirtless male character coming right up lol jk