RPG Crossing
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 04-04-2019, 08:59 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1909
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryBeast View Post
Hm, the Codex itself seems to be something that WotC has issued takedown requests for - I can see why, since some of the stuff in the table of contents has since gotten officially published. I should probably amend that "anything I can look at online" to "anything I can look at online legally," since I'm willing to bet that RPGX has rules about linking to bootleg content.

Is the stuff you wanted me to look at available in a normal UA release?
I couldn't find it in hardcover. I was looking for a book on DriveThruRpg site and when I saw it, I went to Scribd site, I pay that site $9 a month, and many hardcovers and stuff on DriveThru is on Scribd. Anyway, I saw codex on Scribd and thought it was cool. Since there don't seem to be a HC, you probably won't accept anything from it. That's ok. I always like to ask before I do anything.

Back to the drawing board. lol
Old 04-04-2019, 10:02 PM
Wreathed in Flame

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3717
MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast
I've added gnomes as one of the Karredrim subraces in the main post.

Also, to clarify the likely setup for the game, since it's a little vague in the opening post:

Varad and his clan have already made their initial inroads into Karredral. With a force of clan warriors, and a population of several thousand civilian settlers, Varad has established an outpost just within the borders of Karredral, a rough border fort named Ghol Varad. In the last year, his people have expanded outward, establishing farmsteads and outpost camps about a week's journey in several directions from Ghol Varad. But even that limited range of settlement is already beset by dangers, and greater dangers still await in the wilds beyond Varad's borders.

At this point, Varad isn't spending most of his time leading expeditions deeper into Karredral - he's mostly concerned with building up his settlements' defenses, training and managing the growing army of Karredrim he's recruiting, etc. Eventually, he's going to muster his forces and go on the march again, but until then, he's recruiting scouts and trailblazers - adventurers, basically - from among the Karredrim rallying to his banner, and sending them to press deeper into the wild, to deal with any threats that they can and report back to him about any that they can't. The PCs are, most likely, heading into Karredral to take a place among those adventurers, though by no means the only such adventurers that he's recruiting.

In theory, you'll be in his service, whether out of zeal for his cause or more mercenary motives. In practice, your actual motives are up to you, and might or might not be what Varad thinks they are.

Not that it's directly relevant to applications, but here's a map of the chunk of soutwestern Karredral that's been settled so far - Ghol Varad and its immediate environs (a small part of a much larger map). That road running south from Karredral is how most of the Karredrim answering Varad's call (probably including the PCs) are arriving - but it's not the only entrance to Karredral; there are other mountain passes all around Karredral's periphery that connect to the lands of the elder races, and there's also an icy sea that borders Karredral on the north. As you can see, there's a couple of different adventure environments and points of interest that the PCs might choose to investigate.

Last edited by MemoryBeast; 04-04-2019 at 10:41 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:14 PM
Epic Level Enchatment

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1677
Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey
Cool! That clears some things up!
Old 04-04-2019, 10:25 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 308
Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky
This sounds like a really cool setting. I think I'll end up lurking it even if my PC isn't accepted. Btw, I edited my earlier placeholder post with my application. Apologies if that's bad board etiquette. Still new here.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:32 PM
Wreathed in Flame

Tools
User Statistics
MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jab Burrwalky View Post
This sounds like a really cool setting. I think I'll end up lurking it even if my PC isn't accepted. Btw, I edited my earlier placeholder post with my application. Apologies if that's bad board etiquette. Still new here.
It's not bad etiquette, but it's good to give a heads-up in a new post (like this one) to let me know. A change to an old post won't show up as an update to a subscribed thread, which makes it easier for anyone monitoring the thread (like the DM) to miss that you did it.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:44 PM
Non Paradisi

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2083
Raizen Raizen Raizen Raizen Raizen Raizen Raizen Raizen Raizen Raizen Raizen
Úriel Vermillion
right-aligned image
Name: Úriel Vermilion (Aelasar)
Race: Half-elf
Class: Sorcerer (Draconic Bloodline)
Background: Noble

Personality: Úriel's beauty is only matched by her cleverness which has been steeled after years of enduring court politics and her family's disregard as a human. It has made her capable of displaying an immense level of tact and politeness even while receiving the most vicious forms of mockery. However socially adept she may be, it is undoubtable that she carries a chip on her shoulder about being one of the exiled. When her magic began to bloom it had the odd effect of fueling an ego Uriel never knew she possessed. This combined with her previous feelings of being ignored has created a person who craves attention for their merits but is unwilling to ask for it. Instead she seeks challenges and glory she thinks others will be unable to ignore once she conquers them.

History: Like so many tales before her own Uriel’s tale begins with her parents. Her mother, Isolde Vermilion, was born into a lineage of sorcerers who long ago decided their talents would be enough to eke out some manner of respectable living among the exiles. And like so many others they discovered that this would only prove to be partially true. Over decades of toil the family had managed to make a name for themselves as reputed magi, but they still faced the scorn of the elder races that all humans did.

This was how Isolde ended up in the service of House Aelasar as their resident mage. Also renowned for her beauty, it was not long after that she began an illicit affair with the lord of the house despite whatever the elf may have thought of humans as a whole. For years it went on seemingly unbeknownst to anyone, Isolde now serving as Lord Aelasar's mage and mistress. Things changed however when Isolde began to show signs of pregnancy. That was when the whispers began and then it appeared everyone had suspected but had chosen to turn a blind eye including Lord Aelasar's wife.

When Uriel was finally born it was not a cause for momentous joy. Shortly after her birth Isolde expired under very dubious circumstances. To the shock of many Lord Aelasar chose to keep Uriel in his household cementing the rumors in the minds of many. As Uriel grew up, she was given everything a child could need or want for. An education, fine clothing, and protection were all given freely. But Lord Aelasar never admitted to being her father publicly or to her in private. The man was actually extremely distant, preferring to show any support through purely financial means.

As Uriel aged into her adolescence, she began to suspect what everyone else had done years ago. While she grew into the spitting image of her mother her reception around the estate began to grow increasingly frigid. The children she had grown up with (who she now realized were her half-siblings) were instructed to now avoid her. Lady Aelasar had always politely ignored her, but as Uriel came to resemble her mother more so did her hostility increase. Despite the trappings her father had provided Uriel felt more alone than ever. It was then she began to crave the recognition her siblings were afforded to an almost obsessive degree. When her sorcerous powers began to reveal themselves, Uriel believed she had found her avenue for achieving such a thing. If she could use this power show she was worthy of his attentions then Lord Aelasar would have to recognize her as his daughter. After many years of other glory-seeking adventures this is what would eventually lead her to Varad's banner. Surely if she was able to return with some great source of wealth, power, knowledge or a combination of all three he would have to accept her, right?

Addendum: Following my character's background I think Uriel fits soundly into Option 2: Explorers of Karredral Your character is primarily concerned with trekking deep into Karredral's unexplored reaches and delving into its forgotten ruins - either in search of a specific object or piece of information relevant to your backstory, or out of a general fascination with Karredral's secrets. You aren't necessarily unconcerned with the plight of the people in Ghol Varad, and you'll still be heading back there after your current scouting mission, but your primary service to the Karredrim is scouting out the lands beyond Ghol Varad to blaze a trail for others.

The general concept I'm going for is "illegitimate noble bastard goes on adventure to prove their worth". She's a half-elf to make the scandal extra spicy. That's why I took the noble background. Let me know if there is anything wrong with this. This game ad has left me very intrigued and hopefully I get to see where it goes.

Last edited by Raizen; 04-10-2019 at 10:47 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:57 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1909
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
I read the requirements over again. The money thing, so they only get the starting equipment instead of the amount of gold for 5th level?

BTW, cool map!!

Last edited by Seekr34; 04-04-2019 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:59 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5776
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
Vogal Yugor:
right-aligned image

Name: Vogul Yugor
Race: Tiefling
Class: Ranger (Hunter)
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Origin: Free Karredral
Background: Outlander (Homesteader/Hunter-Gatherer)
Personality trait:
-I watch over what few friends and my family as if they are a litter of newborn pups.
Ideal:
-Change. Life is like the seasons, in constant change, and we must change with it. (Chaotic)
Bond:
-My family is the most important thing in my life, even when they are far from me.
Flaw:
-I am slow to trust members of other races, tribes, and societies.

Appearance: Vogul stands six foot and five inches tall with broad shoulders, weight and girth enough to be imposing despite the light leather armor that he wears. His skin is same deep red as blood and two horns rise from his brow to wrap around his forehead and off to either side, except for the right horn which is broken and splintered near the base where a fight had gone very wrong and it was snapped off violently by a Gnoll who thought a trophy would come in handy. His eyes are a dull yellow like amber except for the left which is glossed over with a milky white sheen that just barely hides the amber pupil, blinded by a hammer that struck him in the face, breaking the socket and rendering the eye useless. His long black hair hangs down in thick strands from a lack of care for his appearance away from his family and does little to hide the pointed ears that betray his lineage even more. When he does smile, his extended canines are the only thing that give his teeth a different look from a normal human's.

Personality: Vogul is alert but not in a nervous way, especially around anyone that is not his family, he tends to keep an eye on everyone that is around him lest they see fit to take advantage of him for some imagined slight sprouting from his demonic lineage. Despite his mistrust of others, anyone he has become close friends with, he defends, even violently if he must. In quickly evolving situations, he prefers to adapt to the situation at every turn rather than sticking to a plan, improvisation, unpredictability and adaptability are your best friend against a group of dangerous foes. He is often stoic, quiet and thoughtful but the blank stare present would make anyone observing think him a simpleton, which isn't far from the truth since he would rather rely on his cunning and wit, living by instinct. Although he doesn't talk about his family much, out of protectiveness towards them, he would sacrifice his life to defend them and by the scars he bears, he has risked his life for them more than once.

Backstory: It had been centuries and many generations since the destruction of the ancient empire that had created the Tiefling species, experts in assassinations and outcast because of their looks, never to betray their masters. The blood of fiends is not something that can be bred out so easy though, even centuries of breeding with the occasional human produced half-blooded offspring that still possessed the otherworldly and demonic look of their forebears as if they were full-blood. This was the legacy that Vogul carried from birth, marked by the centuries-old transgression of his ancestor's creators. It wasn't easy living among others that looked just like you, being a child that grew up in a world made harsher by the automatic prejudice that everyone harbored for the brightly-colored skin and horns of their ancestor's. More often than not, children raised in such conditions made bitter or angry adults and less often, the individual with a hard outer shell that hid the tender inner turmoil within.

Vogul's family, or rather, his mother and father, having to travel the wildlands and the lands of the elders in sparse numbers for fear that a large group of their kind would incite more than the occasional harassment, lived the life of nomads, not living anywhere for very long. It was on the outskirts of a Gnoll village where Vogul first breathed air, albeit air that was tainted by hatred and fire. His mother and father had been forced to stay overlong in this particular place due to complications with Vogul's birth. Unfortunately, the populous of said village didn't see Vogul's birth as the product of a happy union, visiting the wagon that the two Tieflings had called home for a good part of their lives, with torches in hand and curses upon their tongues.

His father's bravery and eternal love for his wife and child shined out brighter than the sun on that moonlit night as he sacrificed himself, putting his blades and body between the blades of the attackers and his newborn son and weakened wife, allowing them to flee into the nearby woods and to safety or as close to safety as they could find. Having lost everything, Vogul's mother had no choice but to keep walking, only taking breaks to feed her infant son and less occasionally, herself. She avoided civilization, expecting hostility over hospitality for her thoughts were on her son. Her first brush with civilization was hard to avoid though as her young son had grown to the point where he wasn't easily surviving on wild berries from the woods. Girded in heavy cloaks and hoods pilfered from a clothesline that lined the edge of the village.

One misstep was all it took, a stray wind that was timed exactly as Vogul reached out for an apple offered to him by a merchant flung his hood down and revealed his true nature to everyone in the market. The sudden silence was only cut by gasps then mutters and whispers, Luckily, the merchant had already known and as quickly as he could and with some difficulty from Vogul's mother, ushered the pair into the shelter of his home and out of view of the public. After a long talk and a much needed meal, the merchant offered the far-flung pair a place to sleep out of the elements until they had a chance to leave the village under less exposed circumstances. The merchant warned that despite his actions, there were more people in the village that would rather see the pair shivved and dropped in a ditch than people like the merchant. That night, two hooded and cloaked figures, one half the size of the other, made their way out of the village, no one the wiser except an old merchant who had no trouble looking past red skin and a pair of horns.

For the next fifteen years, it became a cycle, a long stint in the wilderness until both of them were too starved to resist the allure of food provided by a community as a whole. Donning their cloaks and hoods and stealing away with whatever they could carry before their true identities were found out. Vogul's mother had grown quite bold after her son proved much like his father had been, the same bravery and sacrifice. While passing through a village with her near full-grown son, they found themselves ducking into an alley to avoid a trio that had followed them pretty intently through the market. Vogul pushed his mother down towards the opposite end of the alley, to safety, when it seemed the men pursuing them weren't going to give up so easily. Vogul backed down the alley a ways as the thugs turned the corner and he sprung his attack, clobbering the first with the strongest punch he could muster but the second and third weren't so surprised, the large red man felt the cold hard steel of daggers sink into his abdomen. As the blood started pounding in his ears, a power that he had never known rose to the surface, a crack of thunder behind the pair brought their attention, just long enough for Vogul to remove both daggers from his own body and plunge them into the backs of the thugs.

When the tussle had stopped, Vogul's mother came back for him finding him bleeding profusely from his wounds. She helped him as best as she could, his arm over her shoulders, down back alleys until she found an a shop with a engraved sign hung over the door, a bottle and plant stem picture as she took him inside. Struggling to keep as much blood from flowing down his robes made it hard for him to argue and within they found far more than they both expected. A father and his daughter, master and apprentice in medicine. As the father first tended to Vogul's wounds and the daughter tended to his feeding and bandage changing, they spent far longer there, in that small home than they had stayed anywhere else and Vogul learned that there were people in this world that could see past his outer appearance.

Elliana was the daughter's name and truth be told, Vogul had fallen for her. In the next several months that it took for Vogul to heal and regain his strength, despite never being able to leave the shop, he had grown very close to Elliana, so close that when it was time to leave, he took his mother and Elliana with him with the intent of settling down, knowing it was not a good way to live, on the move always. For their last trip between bastions of civilization, they wander far off the beaten path and into a dense forested area where together, they began to build a structure, a place to live, Vogul's first real home.

In time and after much effort, Vogul had a home and a family that he didn't have to move from one place to another. With his ambition to provide for his family, he took to the woods and scraped out a very good living, the forest providing everything they needed. Unfortunately, peace always comes at a price as roving bands of Orcs, Gnolls and other inhabitants of the wildlands stumbled upon the idyllic abode of the Tiefling. Living off the beaten path benefited the small family as attacks were few and far in between and as families are wont to do, they grew with the birth of Vogul and Elliana's daughter, Fiera then his son, Ezekial a year later.

When Varad sent out the call for uniquely skilled individuals willing to blaze a trail into the lost kingdom of Karredral, Vogul jumped at the chance. Despite having built a home in this world, he desired a place where his family could live and grow completely safe from the hatred and prejudice inherent in the people of this world. He now leaves home, his children and wife foremost in his mind with hopes that they will be proud of the city he finds in the ruins of the fallen empire, the place where his kind were first made and a place where his family could live, free of judgments based upon the color of their skin or the horns on their heads.

RP Sample:
-A new life, A new leg?
-What the hell kinda creature is that? Ah hell, just shoot it!

Last edited by Arthilian01; 04-07-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:29 AM
Insert User Title Here.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21022
Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond
That gnome history sounds great. I'm going over concepts in my mind. Many I come up with don't fit all that well with your setting. It may take me a few days to land on one I want to apply with.

Old 04-05-2019, 01:08 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 201
Sejik Sejik Sejik
Character Application

Character
left-aligned image

Name: Axis Di'mathian
Race: Human
Sub: Variant
Class: Paladin - Oath of Conquest
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Background: Knight Errant

Traits: I don't see death as a true end, but I'm still bothered by it. I don’t talk about the thing that torments me. I’d rather not burden others with my curse. I pity those who deny the heresy.

Ideal: I’m a monster that destroys other monsters, and anything else that gets in my way. I’ve been lied to enough, so now I’m sworn to always tell the truth.

Bond: A terrible guilt consumes me. I hope that I can find redemption through my actions. Belief in my old faith still haunts me. Have I chosen the right path?

Flaw: I talk to spirits that no one else can see. I’m deeply mistrustful of temple hierarchies.

Aspirations: I seek to leave behind the shackles of the teachings I grew up with and blame for the death of my loved one. If Adha is wrong, then wouldn't she have been wrong about Karredral as well? I need to know the truth, and in doing so, reclaim Karredral for humanity. Maybe along the way, I will find a way to fix my past mistakes.

Beliefs: While I have my doubts of faith and divinity, I have learned that there are forces outside of our understanding and control. Not everything is what it seems, and it is up to us to discover our own truths.

Description: Axis stands a head taller than most other humans, and most of the other races that he grew up around. With dark green eyes that seem to pierce into whatever he looks, he moves with a determined purpose. Normally covered in armor, he is never seen with a shield, finding such trivial distractions unnecessary. Grey has long started to set into his normally black hair, including the small amount of hair he's started to grow on his chin. On his back is a beautiful great sword, well kept with ancient runes carved into the blade.

Personality: For people who know him, Axis is quiet and normally calm. However, when conflict arises, he is quick to spring into action, decisive to resolve whatever issue presents itself as quickly as possible. It is not enough to merely defeat an enemy in battle. His victory over conflict must be so overwhelming that the will to fight is shattered. Axis respects authority, and those who are capable of rule. As long as one is strong, Axis strives to better himself, to grow mightier and meet the challenge. Axis struggles with there are deep seeded fears though, conflicts internal from his past that gives him moments of softness that he considered a weakness in certain scenarios.

Background
left-aligned image
Axis Di'manthian was the son of an unaspiring blacksmith, having grown up in one of the more remote encampments inside of the border-marches of the elder races. For years he had heard the stories about ancient Karredral, always with the tone of failure and warnings of humanities fallacy. Having lived in one of the human encampments near Ebryn, one of the elder race's Elven cities, he did have some contact with Elven traders and leadership. Axis grew up with the religious teachings of the Prophetess Adha and the Adhari.

Later on in his teens, he met a beautiful woman named Iilero, who had just joined the priestesses, serving as a cleric. This is what inspired him to join the order as well, as a paladin of the faith and a protector of the realm. Life was a simpler time then, as Axis grew through the ranks, uneventful for the most part except for a monster attack that him and his fellow knights were sent to quash.

By the time Axis had gained the rank of captain, he proposed to Iilero who accepted his hand in marriage. By this point in life, with his mother having passed away a few years before hand, the wedding itself was small but peaceful. Iilero had grown up as an orphan without any real family, but with lots of friends, always cheerful and a sort of balance to his own rough exterior.

This arrangement worked out well, since they would usually go on missions together, and while it was dangerous at times, Iilero would teasingly scold Axis about it was her who had to do all the heavy work in keeping everyone healed and safe, and all he had to do was poke things with a sharp stick. However, one night while they were tracking down a pack of winter wolves, things took a sour turn.

Not caring for resting, Axis only thought of going back to get help. And drug his bloodied great sword in one hand, and the head of one of the white wolves in the other, he made his way home.

Following either the refusal, or well excuses of being able to raise his wife from the dead, the turmoil and resentment from Axis continued to grow over the years.

Last edited by Sejik; 04-12-2019 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Edited some DM private information
Old 04-05-2019, 01:14 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 201
Sejik Sejik Sejik
So a few questions I have:

- Is there an established pantheon for this setting, or would need to use some creative freedom here to flesh out a few more details.
- I still have a few small tweaks I want to clear up on my application, but for the most part the bulk of it's fleshed out. I do want to run a few things by you first before I finish up any details.
- Would there be any other details you would want to see that would improve things? I'm thinking of some more hooks and background that might work.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:21 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1696
kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel
@Odyssey, I like the possible PC connection. I could well see that as a way to connect our characters, should both be chosen for the game.

I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:26 AM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1058
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Jasper Montague
left-aligned image

Name: Jasper Montague
Race: Human
Class: Rogue (Thief)

Alignment: Chaotic Good
Origin: Free Karredrim
Background: Criminal
Group Preference: Option 2

Trait: I always have a plan for what to do when things go wrong.
Ideal: Freedom: Chains are meant to be broken, as are those that would forge them.
Bond: I will become the greatest thief that ever lived.
Flaw: When I see something valuable, I can't think about anything but how to steal it.

Description: Jasper stands a little under six feet tall. With short dark hair and dark eyes, there is little left in his blood to hint at any primal lineage from Karredral. As lingering in the shadows is an occupational hazard, every bit of cloth and leather he wears is nearly black. Small bags, vials and pouches can be seen hanging from his belt or attached to a bandolier across his chest. A short thin cloak drapes from his shoulders, pushed to the side by a sword sheathed to his back.

Personality: Jasper has a strong belief in doing what is "right," but those beliefs do not always fall within the definitions of the law. He has no qualms about taking from those that live in excess and providing for those that do not (Retaining a substantial "finder's fee", of course). This, however, has left him at odds with all three of the elder races. He is fiercely loyal to his friends and will not walk away from a challenge, regardless of the odds.

Background: Jasper grew up with a roving band of traders, traveling amongst free Karredrim and exiles alike. His parents were killed by ravaging gnolls, but he was loved by those in the caravan. From a young age, Jasper found he had a knack for putting things in his pockets that did not belong there. Raego, the leader of the caravan, caught him once. He scolded the boy; not for stealing, but for getting caught.

As he grew older, so too did his ambitions, and, for better or worse, his skill. Every prized possession and item of value he heard about became a personal challenge. He took them all. Eventually, not even the fences were willing to buy the valuables be stole, afraid they would not be able to sell such high-risk items.

This went on for years until Jasper learned of a fist-sized gem that was in the possession of a wealthy dragonborn merchant. He took it easily enough. He discovered a few days later that it had been a trap; men had followed him back to the caravan.
They returned a few days later, hoping to catch him. When they did not find him, they began "questioning" those in the camp. Not everyone survived.

Jasper returned later that night. Five bodies were laid out beside the fire, waiting for the pyre to be built. He was devastated. No one said it, but he saw the accusation in their eyes. This was his fault. They were right and he knew it. Jasper knew he could no longer stay. With tears all around, he said goodbye to the only family he had ever known , leaving nearly every earthly valuable he had. Small recompense, he knew, but he hoped it would help.

Two days later found him in a dirty tavern in some unnamed ramshackle exile town. It was there he overheard a group of men talking about someone named Varad and his call-to-arms for humanity to retake Karredral. Jasper had little interest in waging war against gods knows what, but the thought of what treasures must still lie buried in those ruins had him on his feet and heading down the road.

Last edited by Silent Rain; 04-10-2019 at 10:54 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:59 AM
Wreathed in Flame

Tools
User Statistics
Seekr34: Yep, just starting gold - making some money might not be the sole motivation for characters to go to Karredral, but it's going to be a motivation.

Sejik: Axis looks very interesting. I like the idea of the elves' refusal to resurrect his dead wife as the inciting incident for him to go and throw in with Varad. The elves probably do have the ability to do something like that if they really wanted to - but I'm imagining the elves in this setting as fairly inhuman and racist towards the exiles in their midst, and their attitude about wasting resurrection magic on an exile would probably be "what's the point of resurrecting something that's just going to be dead in a few decades anyway?" So that gives him a chip on his shoulder about the other races and a reason to join up with the hardcore human-nationalists under Varad... but there's also the fact that ancient Karredral probably had resurrection magic too, so maybe somewhere in the empire's ruins, there's something that would let him bring his wife back himself.

As for a pantheon: as a general rule, I'm not a huge fan of the standard D&D pantheon setup, with Bob the god of thunder and Ralph the god of war and so forth. That's one perfectly valid way to do a fantasy cosmology, but it's a little overplayed. For this setting, there are definitely angels and devils and demons and so forth, and mortals can channel or tap into their power in various ways. What powers the angels and demons serve is a little bit more of a mystery - mortals have their theories about it, but the nature of divinity is a little bit more ambiguous than in standard D&D. This isn't to say that the various races don't worship "gods" - they do - but those gods might or might not objectively exist in exactly the form people think they do. They might be avatars or aspects of some greater power, they might be different faces that the same force wears, or they might just be myths that mortals tell themselves to put something beyond comprehension into a relatable form.

Last edited by MemoryBeast; 04-05-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:43 AM
Epic Level Enchatment

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1677
Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey
Quote:
Originally Posted by kymrel View Post
@Odyssey, I like the possible PC connection. I could well see that as a way to connect our characters, should both be chosen for the game.
Sweet, that would be pretty neat! I like the idea of PC connections, it gives the party dynamic some extra layers which is always fun!