twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 04-05-2019, 02:49 PM
Obi Yub Kenobi
Hall of Fame DM 2011

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2540
KevinFipps KevinFipps KevinFipps KevinFipps KevinFipps KevinFipps KevinFipps KevinFipps KevinFipps KevinFipps KevinFipps

Allowishus Dillingham Pennyworth IV
Human
Cleric1/Wizard4

It is difficult to make the personal history of a professional scholar and librarian seem exciting. But that is not to say that Allowishus’ existence has been a boring one. He was present the day that a fire broke out in the scribe storage room and damaged several texts. Or when there was an infestation of meal worms in the royal archive that threatened to destroy the bindings on dozens of banking records from the time of the previous king’s rule. And who could forget the fateful day when a column of texts collapsed, toppling the two closest shelves and creating a massive pile of scrolls, books, tomes and shattered shelving that took nearly a month to reorganize.

Through all these harrowing ordeals and a few others, there has been the erstwhile and diligent Allowishus to safeguard the combined knowledge, research and mundane accounting of the what could be considered the greatest repository of information on the continent.

Allowishus Dillingham Pennyworth IV is the fifth child and third son of his loving mother Cordellia Varrigton-Smythe, of the Silvertide Varrington-Smythes, and benevolent father Allowishus Dillingham Pennyworth III, 17th Duke of Aeton (in exhile). Descended from a family wealthy in both land and business, Allowishus IV had every opportunity available in a civilized society. He showed a thirst for knowledge and appetite for education at an early age. By 9 he was attending Silvertide University with students twice his age. By 13 he was joining research teams delving into the vast libraries of the university to uncover new insights into the nature of the world, the planes and the magical tapestry that holds it all together.

As is tradition the third son of a noble family, he was pledged to a life of service among the clergy. His devotion to education led him to become a servant of the God of Knowledge and Wisdom, though his piety is a fickle thing. Allowishus desires knowledge, above all things. His varied interests and vast intellect has led his mind to flow from topic to topic with a speed and direction that makes engaging him in conversation something of a challenge. As he collates, catalogues and synergizes information in a manner that aids him in collecting and analyzing seemingly unrelated details, it causes him to speak in sentences that run together and jump seemingly without warning from subject to subject.

That rapid assimilation of information which makes him socially challenging, has proven an asset in his continued studies of the arcane arts. It was these skills that first attracted the attention of the Royal Librarian. Allowishus was asked to analyze the journals of scholars from the last days of Karredral and the texts available on the continent in the hopes of discovering some potentially overlooked indicator of what tragedy befell the once-great nation.

The results of that study rocked the academic world. And the then 20-year-old scholar became the youngest appointee to the Royal Librarians board of masters and apprenticed to the Royal Archivist himself. The next 10 years were filled with even more study and research as Allowishus danced from the study of history to the arcane arts to religion to nature to medicine. He considers himself and expert on many subjects despite a complete lack of practical experience. He knows how to cook the traditional dishes of a dozen different cultures; but has only attempted a few recipes himself. He has memorized the steps and motions of hundreds of folk and contemporary dances; but has yet to ever dance himself. Even though he can quote the great sword masters of the last century on theory and practice of swordplay, he has yet to ever draw a weapon in a real fight. To date he has been published 38 times.

Peer Reviewed Papers:
• On the nature of celestial beasts.
• Treatise on Adventuring as Business Venture
• The effects of Religious Indoctrination on Indiginous Goblin Populations
• A guide to practical divinations for parenting
• The Farmers guide to Prayers and Healing
• The Magestone Manifesto
• A Treatise on Virtue
• Second Treatise on Adventuring as Business Venture
• Tabaxi Naming Conventions
• Identifying Poisonous Herbs
• A Study of Dragonborn Scale Patterns
• Planar Writings
• The Guide to Experimental Summoning
• Why You Should Never Experiment with Summoning

Short Texts:
• Liber Arcanus
• The Tome of Illusory Magic
• Lexicon of Gnome Inventors and their Influence on Modern Tinkerers
• Classic Elven Architecture and the Arch Movement
• Alfgeir’s Journal (Translated from the Original Giant)
• The Dancing Wizard’s Workbook – How Music Enhances Arcane Study
• Poems for Merchants
• Poems for Tradesmen
• Poems for the Blind
• Poems for the Deaf
• Guide to Dwarven Deities and Religious Practice
• A guide to Translating Ancient Elven
• Cooking for One – The Bachelor’s Guide to Culinary Excellence
• The Tale of Halig Boneaxe – A History

Works of Fiction
• Phantom Tales (The Specter Series Book 1)
• Magnificent Shadows (The Specter Series Book 2)
• Thief in the Night (The Specter Series Book 3, Coming Soon)
• Primordial Powers
• The Peasant Hero’s Fall

Full-Length Academic Works
• Secrets of the Spider
• Eystein’s Book of Magics (Translated from the Original Halfling)
• The Manual of The Dragon
• Encyclopedia of Aquatic Beasts
• Historical Inscriptions
• Daily Life in Udune

Allowishus would seem a rather strange addition to this expedition. While he certainly is well-versed in the available lore on their destination and can converse in 10 different languages on a variety of topics at nauseating length, this is his first foray into “field work.” And he is no doubt woefully underprepared for the hard life on the road and the challenge of true combat.

His assignment is both pragmatic and voluntary. Allowishus has studied a tremendous volume of the available resources of the great library, becoming one of the most highly educated men alive. But there is more yet for him to learn. Knowledge that cannot be found in text books.

FOR THE DM ONLY:

Last edited by KevinFipps; 04-05-2019 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:00 PM
Wreathed in Flame

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3234
MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berith View Post
People, ALWAYS apply to a MemoryBeast game.

P.S. He hates bards, but he absolutely will take one if you wow him with the app. So write him bard and monk applications he can't refuse and watch his head explode.
Damn it, Berith
Old 04-05-2019, 03:00 PM
Blaaargh!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6823
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
You caught me... iím certainly lurking My games are stacked at the moment but I do want to confirm what has already been said: MemoryBeast is one of the best DMís on the site... no doubt about it. Bring your A+ game everyone!
Old 04-05-2019, 03:17 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2147
ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky ManicMonky
left-aligned image
Name: Clever Guide (Guide) of The Elder Desert Clan
Race: Tabaxi
Class: Rogue (Scout)
Background: Beast Tribe

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral trending toward Chaotic Good

Appearance: Guide has a tall, lithe body covered in thick dark fur. Two fangs protrude from his mouth slightly at all times, though when he curls his lip in anger they are much more prominent. His jade green eyes gaze upon everything around him with a learned wisdom and awareness. He wears a leather armor and carries a curved blade at his side, a few daggers in his belt and a bow slung over his shoulder. Around his neck is a fairly simple necklace with two large saber-tooth tiger teeth, a symbol of his coming of age. His clothing is simple, made of dark brown, nearly black, material, and covers only enough of his body to protect him from chafing or balding from the armor he wears.

Personality Traits:
- I am driven by wanderlust that led me away from home.
- I place no stock in wealthy or well-mannered folk. Money and manners won't save you from a hungry Owlbear.
Ideals: Change - Life is like the seasons, in constant change, and we must change with it. (Chaotic)
Bonds: I suffer awful visions of a coming disaster and will do anything to prevent it.
Flaws: There is no room for caution in a life lived to the fullest.

Tabaxi Obsession: My curiosity is currently fixed on a lost civilization.
Tabaxi Quirk: I have a minor phobia of water and hate getting wet.

Backstory:
The desert is a harsh and unforgiving land and not many would choose to live there. However, it is much quicker to travel across it than around it. For hundreds of years, Guide's ancestors have been living on the edges of the Doltar desert. Mostly, they stick to the narrow stretch that has become known as the Imp's Belt. Travel across this section can be completed in two days, provided the rider does not get lost in the ever changing landscape of dunes or attacked by the creatures that live there. Eventually, the tribe became known as The Elder Desert Clan and they offered their guidance and protection to any who wished to cross the desert, for a price.

With no farmable land, and no desire to do so, the clan resorted to trade with caravans, hunting and gathering to acquire supplies needed to survive in the harsh lands. When he was young, Guide spent most of his time traveling with his brothers and sisters as they guided caravans, practicing his hunting skills and learning everything he could about the land and creatures in it from his elders.

At sixteen, the coming of age ceremony was fast approaching. It was time for Guide to hunt a formidable beast by himself. Options were presented, all roughly equal in difficulty, and he chose the saber-tooth tiger because it reminded him of himself. It was a stalker, had fangs similar to his own, and it was cleaver. He figured it was similar enough to him that it could represent his own demons. After all, if one cannot defeat their own demons, how would they be able to stand against the rest of the world? For five days he tracked the creature, then on the sixth day he attacked. The battle was far from fair and several times the tabaxi wondered if he would be able to succeed. But he did succeed, and after field dressing the creature, he threw it over his back and returned home victorious, and more importantly, a recognized man.

One night, while sitting around the camp fire of a caravan, a young woman began humming a tune as she stitched. It was an eerie tune, dark and mysterious, and it chilled Guide to the bone. "What is that song? Where did you hear it," he asked. The girl replied, "It is a song my mom and grandma always hummed. It's about the great city Karredral, before it became ruins." Karredral, he thought, Is that what it's called? It was the same song he had begun to hear in his nightmares. A large ruined city, blurred by heat and shadows. An ominous warning of danger to his tribe, and that song. He said nothing more, rolled over and fell into a another fitful sleep.

His dreams were again haunted by the visions he saw, but this time something was different, a man stood in the distance, near the ruins, directing people toward them. Then, a tidal wave of darkness began to sweep over the city as it morphed into his home, the Doltar desert. The people became his relatives and all were swallowed up by the great wave until nothing was left. Guide awoke with a start, unsure what to make of the dream. As he tried to make sense of the dream he over heard talk among the members of the caravan about a man named Varad and his quest to restore Karredral. Was he the man I saw? Will he bring ruin to us, or am I to help him conquer the shadow? The tabaxi finally exhaled, he hadn't realized he was holding his breath, and shook his head. There seemed to be only one option, I must find this man. I must save my people.

It was a long and tiring journey, but when a tabaxi has an obsession, nothing can keep them from learning everything they can about it. Five month later, Guide found himself in Ghol Varad, his pulse racing with anticipation. Maybe now I will finally find the answers to these dreams.

Goals and ambitions:
Guide has heard many stories about the fallen civilization and for the most part didn't really care too much about it. But when word arrived of Varad's ambition, and successes, the tabaxi began to have terrible nightmares that hinted at a coming disaster that would wipe his tribe from existence. Though nothing is very clear in his dreams, there is one thing that is vividly clear: The ruined city of Karredral. The only way Guide sees to finally be free of these nightmares is to investigate them and put a stop to whatever it is that's threatening his tribe.

Writing Samples:
I too have been an RPGer for quite some time, though not nearly as long as others. Searching the forms you will see many examples of my writing.
The Shackled City
Trouble in Flanaess
West Marches
In Plane Sight

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tabaxi.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	79695  

Last edited by ManicMonky; 04-11-2019 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:32 PM
Wreathed in Flame

Tools
User Statistics
MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast
ManicMonkey: Something non-human isn't necessarily out of the question, if there's a good backstory explaining why that character would want to explore Karredral. Varad is very clear about his desire to reclaim Karredral for the Karredrim, specifically, but he's not necessarily going to turn up his nose at individual members of other races who are willing to work as mercenaries for his cause - although he and his followers are likely to be a little more suspicious of them than of true Karredrim. I'm intrigued by the idea that Guide is having visions of a disaster like the one that struck Karredral... suggesting that whatever happened to the ancient empire might recur, and might spread beyond Karredral's borders...

Everybody: Hoo boy, I can already see that it's going to be tough to narrow these down - some really great ideas bouncing around here. I'll do my best to give these a more comprehensive look over and give feedback to those who asked. There is no rush on getting applications done - I want to leave it open for at least the next week or so to give people a chance to apply - and to improve their applications or coordinate ideas with each other.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:33 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3551
Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk
@MemoryBeast: A race question, you mention that the races get an additional+1 would this give plain jane humans a +2 and +1 in all other stats? Asking for a friend
Old 04-05-2019, 03:39 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 153
Silent Rain Silent Rain
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryBeast View Post

Everybody: Hoo boy, I can already see that it's going to be tough to narrow these down - some really great ideas bouncing around here. I'll do my best to give these a more comprehensive look over and give feedback to those who asked. There is no rush on getting applications done - I want to leave it open for at least the next week or so to give people a chance to apply - and to improve their applications or coordinate ideas with each other.
I would not mind some feedback when you have a chance.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:45 PM
Wreathed in Flame

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonk View Post
@MemoryBeast: A race question, you mention that the races get an additional+1 would this give plain jane humans a +2 and +1 in all other stats? Asking for a friend
Jeez, I hadn't even thought about that... everyone always plays variant humans, so I hadn't really thought about the alternative. I'm inclined to just say that variant humans are the only human option for this one, just to keep it simple.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:00 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 201
Sejik Sejik Sejik
I just finished up my application. Found a background that actually makes sense and fits the story for my character. Did some proofreading and fixed some grammar and typos. Oh, found a picture of my steed.

I would love to see if I can come up with some hooks for potential other players though too.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:11 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1709
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sejik View Post
I just finished up my application. Found a background that actually makes sense and fits the story for my character. Did some proofreading and fixed some grammar and typos. Oh, found a picture of my steed.

I would love to see if I can come up with some hooks for potential other players though too.
Damn, that's an awesome looking horse!

Looks like all the paladins got the same oaths. LOL should be good.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:17 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 201
Sejik Sejik Sejik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekr34 View Post
Damn, that's an awesome looking horse!

Looks like all the paladins got the same oaths. LOL should be good.
Yeahhhhhhh... I didn't see any other paladins before I came up with my idea. Then when I hit post, I looked through and saw yours. I could've sworn that when I looked originally you just had a placeholder up.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:52 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sejik View Post
Yeahhhhhhh... I didn't see any other paladins before I came up with my idea. Then when I hit post, I looked through and saw yours. I could've sworn that when I looked originally you just had a placeholder up.
LOL had half of WIP, getting close to being done.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:18 PM
Epic Level Enchatment

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 744
Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFlips
• The Guide to Experimental Summoning
• Why You Should Never Experiment with Summoning
These back-to-back tells me something might've went wrong?? LOL! Allowishus's peer reviews (and the rest of them) are so amazing haha!

I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Old 04-05-2019, 10:29 PM
Obi Yub Kenobi
Hall of Fame DM 2011

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2540
KevinFipps KevinFipps KevinFipps KevinFipps KevinFipps KevinFipps KevinFipps KevinFipps KevinFipps KevinFipps KevinFipps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey View Post
These back-to-back tells me something might've went wrong?? LOL! Allowishus's peer reviews (and the rest of them) are so amazing haha!
He's a very fun character. I played him from level 1-5 in a tabletop campaign that recently ended. Thought he might make a fun addition to this group.

Who doesn't love a naÔve caster?
Old 04-05-2019, 11:30 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Hey DM, just thought I let you know that my character is done. Back on the first page. Decided not to play the Firbolg, I just can't see him wanting to go to Karredal.