RPXP: 11505
Elwen Elwen Elwen Elwen Elwen Elwen Elwen Elwen Elwen Elwen Elwen
right-aligned image

Character Name: Alleraia
Character Race: Protector Aasimar
Class: Rogue (Arcane Trickster)
Background: Archaeologist
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Appearance: Lovely, downcast eyes belie this young woman's confident swagger. There is something startling, inhuman even, in her beauty. Likely one of the descendants of angels of a lost empire, she seems to have little of the delicate grace and refinement of her ancestors. This is a girl willing to get her hands dirty, dressed in breeches that are stained with dirt from a recent academic dig. Her light blue hair seems to have a luster to it that at times glows with a soft light of its own. Her figure is waifishly thin, but with curves that seem more at home in a ballgown than the leather armor that she is currently wearing.

Traits: I might fail, but I will never give up. I have no qualms about stealing from the dead. My curiosity is stronger than my respect of taboos and tradition.

Ideal: Danger. With great discovery comes grave danger. The two walk hand in hand. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Bond: Ever since I was a child, I've heard stories about a lost city. I aim to find it, learn its secrets, and earn my place in the history books.

Flaw: Traps and curses only make me more curious as to what they may be guarding. I will pay any price to uncover the truth that has been buried by time and tradition. I'm dismissive of the superstitions of others.

Character Bio (partly for DM eyes only): For the more academically minded, the vast ruined empire of Karredral was less of a taboo to be feared and more of a puzzle to be deciphered. Though much was known about the ambitious civilization, there was a great deal still to uncover. It was theorized by many that the aristocracy consorted with devils in order to breed a line of fiendish assassins, and this fit easily with what was known about the denizens of the nine hells. They loved bargains and would gladly dally with powerful humans if the price in souls was right. The striking descendants of angels among the aristocracy, however, posed a larger mystery. Why would the valiant archons of the heavens look upon the corruption of Karredrim nobility with the least degree of tolerance, let alone deign to mingle their blood with such power-hungry and ambitious men? The answer to this question, like many such questions into the secrets of the nobility of this lost empire, would prove far darker than any scholar dared imagine.

Devis was one such scholar, an ambitious tomb raider and archaeologist who delighted in delving the forbidden ruins that scattered the continent.

Roleplay Samples: A moon elf bladesinger waxing academic about the elven trance
An assassin disguised as a potential bride to a country lordling

Last edited by Elwen; 04-12-2019 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:37 PM
Creature of the Deep

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3650
Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith
Alright, I've got something percolating.

@Memorybeast - Couple of questions here. First, you encourage us to expand on the current setting. I've got a character concept for a Goliath blacksmith/warrior (loosely based off Dagny Taggart from Atlas Shrugged and some of the ideas therein) that was part of Varad's clan prior to Varad forming a host to repopulate Karredral. Is there anything I should know about Varad's host and the history of his clan?

Second, you mention that most of the clerics serve the Adhari cult. I'm considering writing him as a Cleric of the Forge... He gets his power from his dedication to his craft instead of from a sect or cult. Kosher or no?

Also, rough app close date? I'm headed out for my best friend's wedding on Saturday and will be out of commission most of next week.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:03 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
GOLANI
bumped

Last edited by GOLANI; 04-08-2019 at 07:51 PM. Reason: removal
Old 04-08-2019, 08:05 PM
Wreathed in Flame

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3717
MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasrith View Post
Alright, I've got something percolating.

@Memorybeast - Couple of questions here. First, you encourage us to expand on the current setting. I've got a character concept for a Goliath blacksmith/warrior (loosely based off Dagny Taggart from Atlas Shrugged and some of the ideas therein) that was part of Varad's clan prior to Varad forming a host to repopulate Karredral. Is there anything I should know about Varad's host and the history of his clan?

Second, you mention that most of the clerics serve the Adhari cult. I'm considering writing him as a Cleric of the Forge... He gets his power from his dedication to his craft instead of from a sect or cult. Kosher or no?

Also, rough app close date? I'm headed out for my best friend's wedding on Saturday and will be out of commission most of next week.
Varad's clan is a semi-nomadic group of free Karredrim that's recently gone on a little bit of a conquering spree, uniting several such bands into one larger nation under Varad's lead. Varad himself is a feudal warlord, maybe a little bit more like a Mongol Khan than a medieval European lord (in terms of his clan's lifestyle and political setup; I don't think they've necessarily got a Mongol-influenced appearance or aesthetics). Varad himself is a normal human, but the clan can and does include other Karredrim races who are regarded as equal members (very much including goliaths).

The cleric of the forge idea should work just fine - the major religious group among the exile Karredrim (the ones living among the elves and dwarves and such) is the Adhari cult, but among the free Karredrim, the religious situation is a little bit more heterodox, and a lot of ancient and obscure traditions could still thrive. Something like you're describing, with worship and dedication to the act of craft and forging itself serving as the basis of clerical powers, could absolutely be descended from a mystical tradition of ancient Karredral. Karredral was a big magical empire that created all kinds of wonders, so it'd actually be kind of surprising if a tradition like that didn't exist in some form.

As far as a close date, we're already accumulating more good apps than I'm going to be able to accommodate, but I'm going to leave it open at least until the end of this week to let people finish their applications (and to give people a chance to see the ad if they didn't happen to spot it right away). There's no first-come first-served to it; if the last application I get is an especially good fit, that one could still get in.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:12 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3543
DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold
Application Status: Complete

Amaiya Prys
right-aligned image

Character Sheet - WIP
Name: Amaiya Prys
Race: Human
Class: Wizard (Diviner)
Background: (Self-Taught) Sage
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Appearance: At first glance, Amaiya looks like your average human woman, albiet a beautiful one. Really though, it's her eyes that capture and hold an observer. A gorgeous violet, they hint at supernatural elements lingering in her bloodline from back when the Karredrim tempted fate with their sorceress experiments. Beyond their brilliant and unique color lies an intelligence and curiosity that threatens to infect those around her. Her short blonde hair and ivory skin is contrasted with full lips the color of ripe strawberries. She generally dresses modestly, though still quite attractively, generally being sure to keep her left wrist hidden beneath a sleeve or leather bracer.

Personality: Amaiya is a bright and vibrant young woman, brimming with curiosity and a zest for life that threatens to overwhelm her at times. While she is shy with new people at first, once she opens up she is very sociable and aims to please people that she feels close to. She will often try to drag people along with her on quests to solve a puzzle or uncover a mystery, not always understanding that others are not as fascinated by these things as she is. She gets incredibly excitable when encountering new knowledge or magic that she is unfamiliar with and will sometime speak at a rapid rate that makes it hard for others to understand her. As a result from a very isolated childhood, she is sometimes awkward around other people, especially those she is unfamiliar with, and spends a lot of time wondering what others are thinking about her and looking for reassurance. Her magic, like herself, has a bit of wildness to it - never acting exactly as you would expect it to.

Most of all, Amaiya values freedom and loyalty. The surest way to get her to do something is to tell her that she's not allowed to, no doubt a lingering rebelliousness from a youth where a wrong step could result in an early death. She will go above and beyond to protect rights of freedom, thinking poorly of those looking to control others whether out of fear or a desire for power. She takes her own knowledge and power very seriously, seeing it as her personal duty to advise those seeking to restore Karredral to glory against making the same mistakes their ancestors did.

Traits:
  • I am completely entranced by magic. I am drawn to it as a fly is to a flame, curious and eager.
  • While at first glance I seem incredibly confident and self-assured, in reality I am constantly seeking approval and reassurance from those around me.
  • My enthusiasm for knowledge, magic, and meeting new people is palpable - resulting in an almost childlike wonder.
  • Everything is a mystery or a puzzle, if it is not already so, I make it one.

Ideals:
  • Freedom: All beings should be free to pursue their own passions and live life the way they choose.
  • Education: I strive to learn more every day. With so much of life denied to me, I value every opportunity to experience life in a new way.
  • Responsibility: We have a responsibility to those we fight for to learn from the mistakes of those who came before us.

Bonds:
  • Family: I seek to build a family for myself to replace the one that was denied me. I remain stubbornly loyal to those who I see as thus.
  • Lineage: My family's name once garnered great respect. I seek to rebuild our house in a way that allows me to spread my knowledge to those less fortunate and counsel rulers to ensure that the fate of old Karredral is not repeated.
  • Old Loyalties: There are those among the elven people who I still feel loyal to, mainly my old master, whom I would feel compelled to help if called to - even if I had to put myself at great risk to do so.

Flaws:
  • I get so engrossed in what I'm studying or a puzzle that I'm working on I tend to hyper-focus, ignoring other things going on around me and forgetting (seemingly) insignificant or unrelated details.
  • I am a self taught wizard. While my spells usually achieve the end result I desire, they sometimes do so in unexpected ways.
  • I am still trying to find my stride when it comes to other people so I tend to be a bit socially awkward, sometimes engaging in sarcastic or witty banter while other times being shy and reserved.
  • I often rebel against restrictions or when I am told that I am not allowed to do something.
  • I tend to make even simple things complicated, whether it be because I was never taught more efficient methods, or because I simply enjoy a good puzzle and creative thinking.

Background:

Goals: Amaiya is very ambitious and looks to bring back honor to her family name which was once well-known and quite well-respected. More importantly though she wishes to once again see a place where those who are now persecuted can find safe haven from both those who are afraid of them, and the hubris of their ancestors. She strives to become an adviser and voice of reason, cautioning against a return to some of the darker practices of those who came before with the hope that they can learn from their mistakes and prove the concerns of the other nations invalid.

If, in the process of these great and noble deeds, she gained a bit more control over her self-taught magic or encounter some exciting mystery.... well... she wouldn't complain....

About Me

Last edited by DaysUntold; 04-12-2019 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:49 PM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1639
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Sorry for the delay; been a busy week.

It seems like there are already a ton of really quality applications, so I’m going to go ahead and withdraw mine. Since it’s taking me longer to finish it than intended, it’s probably best the spots go to people with more time availability.

Best of luck everyone!
Old 04-09-2019, 01:47 AM
Epic Level Enchatment

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1677
Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey
Days!!! Glad to see you here
Old 04-09-2019, 09:06 AM
Creature of the Deep

Tools
User Statistics
Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith
It percolated. Here, have a sip.

Last edited by Nasrith; 04-11-2019 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:13 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1696
kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel
So many quality applications. You'll have a tough time choosing between them for sure.

I'm up for collaboration with others about character relationships, as I've already discussed with Odyssey, but I think that it might be better to wait until the lucky applicants have been selected. I'd hate to build a good relationship with several other characters only to have to sit out the game since I wasn't chosen to play.

Also:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasrith View Post
Roleplaying Samples: I hear you don't like monks or bards.
This made me laugh. Thanks for that Nasrith

I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:00 PM
Praiser of the Sun

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 423
Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom
How would you feel about a Kenku Illusionist Wizard? I have an idea of why he would be helping with reclaiming the land and the character has just spoken to me and by that I mean I really wanna try him!
Current Game:Troubles in Tarn & Running Storm King's Thunder
Old 04-09-2019, 12:42 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3543
DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey View Post
Days!!! Glad to see you here
Excited to see you too! Maybe we'll get another game together
Old 04-09-2019, 02:11 PM
Epic Level Enchatment

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1677
Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysUntold View Post
Excited to see you too! Maybe we'll get another game together
Yeah! Maybe share a game that has a posts more than once in a blue moon lol ^u^;
Old 04-09-2019, 05:10 PM
Wreathed in Flame

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3717
MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrom View Post
How would you feel about a Kenku Illusionist Wizard? I have an idea of why he would be helping with reclaiming the land and the character has just spoken to me and by that I mean I really wanna try him!
The kenku could be among the beast tribes; they'd be an unusual sight among the explorers of Karredral, but with a good enough reason, they could show up. By all means, write him up and apply him.

Everyone: I'm mostly replying to people and giving feedback in PMs at this point, unless I've got feedback that might be useful to everyone in getting a handle on the setting and fleshing out their own characters. I apologize for not being able to get back to everyone in as much detail as I'd like - there are a lot of great applications here!
Old 04-09-2019, 05:44 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 201
Sejik Sejik Sejik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey View Post
Yeah! Maybe share a game that has a posts more than once in a blue moon lol ^u^;
Hey, if we paint the moon blue, does that count?
Old 04-09-2019, 07:56 PM
Creature of the Deep

Tools
User Statistics
Made a couple of suggested edits. Hoping it reads just as pretty.

Last edited by Nasrith; 04-10-2019 at 10:28 AM.