Level 74 Dungeon Master

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 514
Rastl74 Rastl74 Rastl74 Rastl74 Rastl74 Rastl74
The Search For Spelljammer

Game NameThe Search For Spelljammer
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeMixed environment role playing (space, planet-side, and beyond). Action/mystery
FlavourSomething akin to Farscape meets DND
Plot Summary

This 5E campaign will be for at least one group of 4-6 players. If there is sufficient interested in this, I may run a concurrent campaign with a separate group of 4-6 players.

All manner of beings have searched for the ship "Spelljammer" across the ages. Cultures of every world have rumors of its existence and visits to their ancestors. Scholars believe that the spawn of this infamous living ship, referred to by the uneducated masses as "smalljammers", are proof of its existance. Though extremely rare, these smaller vessels are known and documented. It is believed that, for one to find the Spelljammer, one must first find one of the spawn ships. If any of the captains of the spawn vessels has found the Spelljammer, they have taken the secret to their graves or disappeared with it.

Many rumors exist about this ship and others likened to it.
  • The ship ferries the lost souls of those who die back to the gods in the crystal sphere of their birth.
  • The ship rescues lost sailors from the black ocean of wildspace and the realm between the crystal spheres, only to keep them in its city-sized structure.
  • The ship is crewed by the dead and roams the spheres looking for lost souls.
  • The last wizards of Netheril escaped on it into wildspace

Players will start at low level (most likely 3rd level) and will be introduced to the concept of wildspace. They will begin on a world in a crystal sphere that has no knowledge of Wildspace or travel therein. They will discover the truth with an unlikely ally, a manta-like ship with strange abilities. Once discovered, they will learn things about the many realms and spheres that even the greatest scholars of their age are ignorant of.

I don't mind people min-maxing but keep in mind that you will need to role-play your disadvantages well. No need for a long backstory.

To Apply: Please post a character concept (including race, class, and what you envision your character being when they grow up; assuming they live that long). I'd also like a short writing sample (this can be a copy/paste from another game you've played in, or something original about your character). If there is any content that isn't in a book, please include links to that for my reference.

Note: I have several resources available that convert the original spelljammer content to 5E but I will have a few homebrew items that will be clearly listed in the rules section.

5e spell sorter tool: http://salty-ridge-7989.herokuapp.com/

Last edited by Rastl74; 04-09-2019 at 01:56 PM. Reason: can't spell today
Old 04-09-2019, 02:03 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 304
Swagbag Swagbag Swagbag Swagbag
This looks pretty awesome. Can we make up anything from the world within the crystal sphere as far as where our characters come from?
Old 04-09-2019, 03:01 PM
The Golden Apple

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 886
Torack Torack Torack Torack Torack Torack Torack
So I'm new to the idea of Spelljammer and I'm really interested in this. But quick question: is this going to be like normal fantasy D&D with space travel added to it, or is it leaning more towards a sci-fi vibe with 5e mechanics?
Old 04-09-2019, 03:14 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1558
Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest
Same as Torack, I never even heard of spelljammer
Old 04-09-2019, 04:37 PM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5533
WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast
This looks great, I assume all the stuff from 5e core books is available? Are we starting from a particularly 'young' age (the line about 'growing up') or is that a more general line of 'what they would like to be one day'? I.E. a 30yo human wizard IS grown up but he could still wish to become Grandmaster of the Raspberry Truffle Guild one day.

And not to be rude Rastl, but I was looking over your profile... you look like you just got back online yesterday after an almost four-year hiatus. Are you confident that you'll be around to see this thing through? I'll take your word for it if you believe so, but I would like your word for it

I'm not familiar with the Spelljammer universe, what is the technology level of the civilization? Not-too-distant space-faring future (sub-Star Trek style), Modern-ish, or is everything accomplished with sufficiently advanced magic?... so basically Torack's question.
Arbiters! Now with more cheap shots at easily disliked targets.

Last edited by WhovianBeast; 04-09-2019 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:47 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
JaegerZero JaegerZero
sounds good, I would like to play a warforged fighter named Fenris, (not sure how you would want to introduce warforged race into the game but it would be from the Wayfinder guide to eberon) i would like him to be a creation what was used to fight at his creators whim but fighting against a sorcerer using wild magic caused him to gain sentience. a conscience and questions his existence hence deserting his master.

Writing sample from my solo intro game.

Bartigus closed his eyes and took a breath saying a silent prayer of thanks that he has spoken time and again. he opened his eyes and took a sip of his ale.
"A Haunting you say. Well, any haunting tends to have a story behind it. And any information would go a long way in being able to exorcise whatever is haunting this tower. starting with who owns the tower and whatever history you know about it. then details of any occurrences to make you believe it is haunted and by whom. then if there is anyone with better information you know of, I would appreciate seeing them first before heading to the tower."

Bartigus begins eating while listening. Asking for clarification on names and any information that may be relevant. when the sheriff had finished his explanation. Bartigus thanks the waitress and pays for his meal.

"Is there a need for expedience on this as I have been on the road for the past few days and would greatly appreciate a chance to rest before. however, if this is a matter of urgency I will forgo the rest and begin immediately."
Old 04-09-2019, 05:24 PM
Level 74 Dungeon Master

Tools
User Statistics
Great questions:

Last edited by Rastl74; 04-09-2019 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:37 PM
Daytime Denizen

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 358
Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky Jab Burrwalky
Name: Lo-Kag the Bold
Race: Half-Orc, Half-Goliath (uses Half-orc vanilla stats, Goliath is for flavor, maybe determining size if DM approves)
Class: Barbarian (Path of the Storm Herald)
When Lo-Kag grows up: Lo-Kag will have lost his ship and his crew in a storm, but the storm will have saved him. He will be trying to learn why he was spared by the storm, and trying to find a new place to belong. As a half-orc half-goliath it's been hard to find a home, and his crew and ship were all he had. But he's not one to give up and sulk. He will either find a place and crew that accepts him, or he'll make a place for himself.
Background: Sailor (Pirate variant)
Some traits: Prone to violence, argumentative, but loyal and dedicated to those he considers his own. Not evil, but will put himself and his own above strangers and will do what it takes to survive. He likes to joke, often crudely or at other's expenses, and expects the same in return. That's what friends do, after all. Disdains freeloaders and shirkers.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:40 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1941
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
What special UA content is allowed?
Old 04-09-2019, 05:47 PM
Level 74 Dungeon Master

Tools
User Statistics
Eric, Are you referring to the content from Unearthed Arcana articles form the WOTC DND page?

Old 04-09-2019, 06:05 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 545
IrishViking25 IrishViking25 IrishViking25 IrishViking25 IrishViking25 IrishViking25
Dax Starflayer
right-aligned image

Character Name: Dax Starflayer
Race: Changeling
Class: Warlock – Pact of the Tome – Great Old One patron
Background: Haunted One - You were born under a dark star and can feel it watching you, coldly and distantly. Sometimes it beckons you in the dead of night.
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Personal Trait: I don't talk about the thing that torments me. I'd rather not have to explain My Master’s wishes. I put no trust in divine beings.
Ideal: I have a dark calling that puts me above the law. (Chaotic)
Bond: I keep my thoughts and discoveries in a journal. My journal is my legacy.
Flaw: I talk to spirits that no one else can see.

Aspiration: Dax aspires to one day fulfill his Dark Master’s goals for him where ever it may lay.

Appearance: As a Changeling, his face look almost featureless. Typical pale skin and eyes. Silver hair. At 6ft tall and 120 lbs, Dax’s true form looks long and frail. His favored form is a human male of similar in height and weight, though a bit more muscle tone. Long black hair and a matching goatee.

Character Writing Sample: It’s cold tonight. Dax though as he slowly strolled through the woods behind the farm. It was quiet, and he was alone; he preferred it this way. Helps him clear his mind.

The night seemed like any other night when he started out. However, as he walked further towards his favorite field to stare at the stars, this dark feeling kept tugging at the back of his mind. The air slowly became more thick and oppressive. Shadows would shift and startle him. His first step into the meadow brought a bit of familiarity and peace to his mind, then it was suddenly shattered by a deep and menacing voice.

Do you seek power?

Dax stopped in his tracks, searched intently for the owner of the voice. Finding nothing he felt dread wash over him. The voice came again from nowhere and everywhere at once.

Do you seek power?

“Who’s there? What do you want?” His voice trembled in response, while he frantically searched for the unknown presence. A slight, searing pain started to grow in his mind and the voice returned, this time with a hint of annoyance.

Do you seek POWER?

With the emphasis on the last word, Dax dropped to one kneel as the pain grow more intense. Thinking back to those who mocked him and said he just wasn’t good enough. These thoughts changed in his mind where he is standing over them as their Master.

“Yes.” Dax replied quietly while slowly standing, the pain subsiding. “YES!” he repeated, this time shouting to the emptiness. This time when the voice spoke, it was more like it was in his own mind.

Swear to be my minion and to do my bidding, and I will reward you.

“Who are you and what deeds need to be done?” Dax inquired, curious now at what this being’s intent was. Again, the pain began.

Swear to be my minion and to do my bidding, and I will reward you!

Feeling that this creature was not one to answer questions nor forgive insolence, he quickly bowed and stated, “I swear to be your minion, my master.”

A slow, deep laughter started to build in his mind. Good. Very Good. The laughter continued a bit longer. You shall be my pawn among the stars. Soon you will find yourself in a position to leave this place and travel the Black Ocean. Test you new powers how you see fit. It matters not to me. I will return with more directions when the time is right. The laughter was now almost booming.

Dax once again fell to his knee; clasping the sides of his head he pitched forward onto the ground. And then there was nothing; he was just him alone in the field. The presence now gone as was the pain in his mind.

Last edited by IrishViking25; 04-09-2019 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:52 PM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast
Pad the Bard
right-aligned image
Name: Padol 'Pad' Mistiweth
Race: Lightfoot Halfling
Class: Bard, Lore College
Background: Instrumentalist/Singer/Storyteller but that's mostly flavor if I understand correctlyEntertainer probably not going to want disguise kit proficiency, I want everybody to know my face!(basically)
Ideal: I believe that almost everybody deserves a chance, but I don't necessarily have to give it to them this is also custom so let me know if you want me to fish another one out from some sourcebook somewhere(chaotic).
Personality Trait: I love a good insult, even one directed at me.
Bond: I idolize [insert name?], a great traveling hero of the old tales and measures my deeds against him.
Flaw: I have trouble keeping my true feelings hidden. My sharp tongue lands me in trouble.

I Wanna Be:His humble status as a full-time street performer notwithstanding, Pad would like nothing better than to see new sights, things he could never have imagined before! He often fantasizes about being a proper traveler, not one limited to the city's meager streets. Some might call him whimsical, a daydreamer, or a wastrel -depending on how much they liked him and his music- but like his mouth, his dreams are definitely too big for his body, and he expresses them best through song. He's often found near taverns and inns, striking up umpteen conversations with umpteen strangers, his hat placed firmly between his feet as he plays his lute and saves up for a life of adventure.

General Personality Traits:A quick-witted eternal optimist, Pad is rarely seen without a smile on his face. He genuinely cares for the lives of others, from the haughtiest priest to the humblest rabbit, and just about the only thing he won't accept with a read: Pad is Chaotic Goodsmile and a chuckle is cruelty, though pride and wilfull stupidity are vying for second. He meets insults with quips, and complaints with apologetic and occasionally self-deprecating wit, and he's managed to make a fairly good life for himself among the less jaded innkeepers as a 'good-luck charm' of sorts while he saves for a shot at making his dreams come true.

Appearance: A strong chin, sparkling blue eyes, and his much-treasured luxurious blond hair are the main features, though his 4-foot-even stature and 75lb frame combine for an agile body to match his agile wit.

Last edited by WhovianBeast; 04-10-2019 at 12:06 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:12 PM
Level 74 Dungeon Master

Tools
User Statistics
Thank you for the submissions thus far! (Jab, Irish, Whovian)

Old 04-09-2019, 07:54 PM
The Golden Apple

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 886
Torack Torack Torack Torack Torack Torack Torack
Benril Vas
Details
right-aligned image

Name: Benril Vas
Race: Tiefling
Class: Ranger (Monster Slayer)
Alignment: CG
Background: City Guard

Personality:
  • Gruff but Polite - Spending his time as city guard has made Benril a person that has become calloused and hard, to the point where little phases him anymore. He can be stoic, but more often than not he has a subtle upward tilt on the corners of his mouth. He's incredibly polite and respectful and usually doesn't say much unless others want his opinion.
  • Blunt and Tactless - Although he doesn't talk very often, when he does, he usually says what's on his mind without much of a filter. This comes from both being a city guard and spending time with other guards and their crude humour as well as being in the wilds and the borders of civilization all by himself. If his opinion is asked for, he will give it with a straight face and it can often be tactless, blunt, or both. He does however know how to twist his words and make things more appealing, but he simply chooses not to.

Character Aspirations: He wants to hunt down and kill Kovar Drel, a half-elf captain of the city guard who was responsible for his parents' murder.

Backstory
Early Childhood and Parents
Benril was born in the slums of a large port city and life wasn't all too easy for him growing up. Both his parents were tieflings and although his father, Vincaer, was a highly skilled smith, it was difficult for him to enter into the artificer's guild and make actual decent money and was instead relegated to the slums. His mother on the other hand, Kerstine, was a baker and sold decent pastries in the better part of the city, but much like Vincaer, Kerstine couldn't make much due to her heritage.

Benril's found ways to make life far more interesting for himself, as children are wont to do, and ended up getting into a gang within the slums. This was made easier by his tiefling heritage as the other children were far more easily scared of him.

The gang was run by a young human male, the son of the leader of one of the biggest organized crime families in the city, and Benril was quickly growing in his favour. He would go out and do various jobs for the family and the gang, whether it be to steal some things, or go into a ship and plant an item, or in most cases simply keep watch while the adults handled business.

During that time in the gang he'd made a dwarvish friend, Dagtarn, who often accompanied him in the various missions he was given. During one watch however, as Benril and Dagtarn were standing in front of a warehouse while the family traded with another, one of the members stormed out angrily and in a fit of rage killed Dagtarn.

It was the first time Benril saw someone murdered in front of him, and a friend no less. Frightened and scared, he fled to his home and stayed there for a fortnight, haunted and feverish over what he'd seen. When things settled down for him, he left the gang and his parents made efforts to move to a better part of the city.

Early Adulthood
Seeing what happened to his friend, Benril joined the city guards as a way to cope and compensate for Dagtarn's murder. After training, he would patrol his quarter with great prejudice against organized crimes, cracking down on them with as much force as he could.

He quickly earned a reputation for himself. His colleagues advised him to tone it down, to ease off the crime families before they retaliated, but he ignored their warnings and kept throwing members of organized crimes into gaols or outright beating them to death and leaving their bodies face down in the harbour.

Things escalated when the gang fought back. Specifically against him. His captain, Kovar Drel, told him that he'd left a message from the gangs at his parents house. When he went there, he saw them both hanging from the roof.

Distraught and feeling responsible for their deaths, he exiled himself from the city and wandered into the woods going half-mad with grief. As a sort of penance for what he'd done, he told himself he would never enter his home city again and instead decided that he would do good by killing off the creatures and monsters that lived on its borders.

Writing Sample
A post from my drow character in an underdark campaign below!

Last edited by Torack; 04-10-2019 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:08 AM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
Rastl, if you want something else for my app, let me know. I think I have everything up there except an actual, y' know, build... and Imma need to sit down with my GM friend to make that, take a few hours to work on it myself, or go back and forth with you.

Last edited by WhovianBeast; 04-10-2019 at 12:08 AM.