RPG Crossing
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 04-11-2019, 08:03 AM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5826
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
The City Without a Sun

Game NameThe City Without a Sun
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeSurvival, moral choices, choosing between two factions
FlavourVampire, Humanity
Plot Summary
left-aligned image
New York city by day isn't a dangerous place by human standards. Construction zones, cars, muggers and the occassional falling loogie from some practical joker on the highest balcony of a nearby skyscraper, Not an issue for the most part but there's another world beneath it all. In the dark corners that tend to spill out when the sun goes down, creatures of darkness with little to no regard to human life, treating it only as their food source, like cattle. In this other world, that normal humans rarely ever see for long before meeting their untimely end, has few rules but what few rules that it has are enforced with military precision by the council of pureblood vampires that have sat the council for thousands of years, until now, of course.

A faction has arose, a splinter cell off the main regime, a group of vampires that were once human led by a single pureblood whose philosophies differ from the others of his kind. This pureblood, Daganetti, feels the council has been lulled into a position of complacency by the back-alley treaties made with humans and that they should be ruling the humans instead. These two factions are on the verge of war, a war that is likely to spill over into the streets and consume the human race without them even knowing until it's too late.

In secret, Daganetti has permitted his underlings to create progeny if only to build his army in secret. More vampires are being created each night than in nights past. You are part of a fresh crop of vampires but something has gone wrong and your 'Re-birth' has been interrupted. Your first greeting into this new life is the harsh light, cast from a single, uncovered bulb swinging from a rafter above five beds where lie others in your same predicament.

You are a freshly turned vampire, whether you sought this out or were snared into the situation without your volition, you find yourself in dire straits. You awake strapped to a hospital bed, your eyes sensitive to the one light source in the room. Your skin is on fire and your mouth is dry as if sand was poured down your throat, so thirsty. Fortunately, You smell something nearby, you don't recognize what it is but you just know it would satiate your thirst.

Details:
-I'll be taking 4-5 players
-The system will be 5e DnD but I will be borrowing Modern rules from a fellow DM.
-Starting level: 1st
-Equipment: You start out with nothing except the clothes on your back.
-As far as race goes, You were a One skill, One feat, +2 to one stat of choice and +1 to another stat of choice.human in life, but now you're also a Check the spoiler below on the capabilities of a Vampire.vampire.
-Stats will be Custom array for closer to average people: 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9
-Deadline: Depending on player interest.

Application:
Name:
Class: From Modern rules
Nationality:
Background: From Modern rules or from Fantasy PHB, You can mix and match traits from phb.
Personality trait:
Ideal:
Bond:
Flaw:
Appearance: You can have a larger image for your application to show detail but make sure you have something smaller for in-game or I can help you make a token. I want a description of your character, not just a description of the image you chose.
Personality: Feel free to put your background traits in paragraph form but give some context as to each one.
Backstory: I would like a third-person narrative, storyteller style. Touch on things like how they ended up in New York, where they picked up their profession/skills in life.
Connections: At least 3 people your character knows. Friends, family, rivals
RP sample: I want a sample post for this character, feel free to have NPC's in here. In-character. If you need a scenario, just message me.

Character Class Status
Kaira Wright Smart Complete
Cedric Spencer Charismatic Complete
Marek Falls Fast Complete
Heinrich Lichter Fast Complete
Axel Johansson Strong Complete
Malcolm Marshall Smart Withdrawn
Samsar Mohan Ramesh Madhavaditya Amardeep Dedicated WIP
Mariya Kuznetsov Dedicated Complete
Maddy Macmillan Smart Complete

Last edited by Arthilian01; 05-05-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:15 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1588
Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099
Well, now - how can I say that I’m not interested?
I’ll admit that I’d be in way over my head, but I guess that’s how you learn to swim, right?
Let’s see what I can think up in terms of a character concept and judge based on that.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:23 AM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
Excellent! Welcome Strange
Old 04-11-2019, 12:01 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3970
lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein
Sounds interesting. Place holder for app...if there's such a thing.

Just one question...for the RP sample you asked for "in-character" writing. Would that be ie: "I watched from across the street as..." "His hands wrapped around my throat..."first person narrative?

Last edited by lydklein; 04-11-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:14 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
@Lydklein: There is a such thing as a placeholder as long as you let me know when you have a concept finished up so I know to look back.
The RP sample should be written how you would write a post for this character. I normally do a third-person:
Quote:
Jaina stabbed her sword into the ground before releasing the hilt and kneeling, laying her free hand on Brekhart's chest and channeling holy energy into him causing his wounds to begin stitching closed.

Last edited by Arthilian01; 04-11-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:49 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1503
Tarus Tarus Tarus Tarus Tarus Tarus Tarus Tarus Tarus Tarus Tarus
Oh man, all your concepts are so fantastically tantalising that you make it difficult for me to ignore them .

I shall have to give some long hard thought to an application for this.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:19 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3970
lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein lydklein
Thanks! And by place holder I meant "Interest". Rough day for wording.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:28 PM
CommunityCoffee Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9066
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Application - WIP:
right-aligned image
Name: Kaira Wright

Class: Smart Hero

Nationality: American Mutt

Background: Law Enforcement

Personality trait: There's nothing I like more than a good mystery.
Ideal: The path to power and self-improvement, is through knowledge and experience.
Bond: Those who fight beside me, are those worth fighting for.
Flaw: I would rather eat my badge, than admit that I am wrong.

Appearance: Kaira is pretty and petite. She is five foot and one inch on a good day, and weighs in at a hefty one hundred and fifteen pounds. Packaged in this small and unassuming frame is a highly intelligent and intuitive investigator. Her hazel eyes and ash-blonde, almost gray hair are often overlooked as a tenacious myth-buster and mystery solver.

Personality: Kaira loves to get to the heart of things, and solving a mystery is at the heart of what drives her. She's quick with a smile and not easily riled or shaken with what or who she's working with.

Backstory: Until a few months ago, Kaira was a Federal Investigator, and a damned good one. All this changed when her personal life took a turn. She had married her high school sweetheart while still in college, and thought the best way to keep him from cheating was to have a baby. She had just finished her first big case, and had to celebrate reservedly because she found out she was actually pregnant.
Just 3 months in, she caught her husband cheating again, and went out drinking with friends who didn't know she was pregnant.
Whether it was the excessive alcohol or not, she had a miscarriage that night and her husband found out in the hospital.
He turned it around on her, his cheating, and blamed her actions for losing their child.
She took a leave of absence from her agency, and has spent the last month and a half in a bottle, celebrating signing her divorce papers just this last night.
After another night in a bar, she was left to her own devices by what was left of her friends, and on the way to her apartment, she was assaulted, or so she thought. She would find out, she was actually turned.

Connections:
Alfred Day - Federal Agent, and supervisor at the time of her taking a leave of absence. She knows him well, and he recognized her talent when he hired her. He's given her a bit too much leeway and is considering letting her go, as he has consulted HR and legal on how best to do this given her "grieving " period.

Lee Elkins - Surgeon resident at local hospital and best friend who is trying to help, but is currently giving her space. Lee has her own life and responsibilities, all her job, and she's still single and dating. Lee and Kaira met at a High School Science expo for young women in science. They roomed together in college and remain as close as their life choices have allowed.

Adain Lane - Ex Husband, Day trader with top firm, and lives the lifestyle as one would expect. He's more than happy to be divorced and hasn't seen Kaira since the miscarriage. As Kaira asked for nothing in the divorce, eh signed it immediately.
RP sample: "You get used to it", a forensics examiner said in passing at the gruesome crime scene. Kaira was holding a white bandana over her mouth and nose as she looked around. Carrying one had been a suggestion from an old retired field agent whose autobiography she had read while in college.
Her senior partner shook his head and smirked in the negative at the examiner's remark and mumbled something about his kind being lovers of the undead stuff.
The police on the scene first said this was a gang war, but Kaira could already see that it was something more. It was made to appear as an all out battle of a continuing gang war, and may have started out that way, but too many things didn't add up.

Kaira looked at the car and waved her partner over. She pointed at blood on the dash. Her partner said, "He was trying to get away, but even with those injuries he wouldn't have made it far before he took that shot in his earhole."

Kaira shook her head negatively. "That's not what I'm talking about. It's almost as if he didn't have enough blood left in him to make these splatters. Look. It's totally going the wrong way. It should be sorta tear drop shaped, with the tail end pointing in the direction the spatter came from. It's all wrong. And you know what? I'll bet you a double shot of that expensive whiskey we found in that bar on Highland, that this isn't even his blood. And if I'm right... and I am... why would someone use someone else's blood for what looks like a lowlife dying in a gang shootout?"
Her partner frowned as he'd been burned twice by the small young woman he still called a Rookie. He waved over forensics and asked her to explain it to them.
Smiling, Kaira walked away until she could remove the handkerchief from her nose and mouth and said, "Know what? Once I'm done with the rest of this scene, I'll buy the first round of that whiskey."

Her partner rolled his eyes and leaned against the police cruiser where they had retreated to. "Hey, now come one. It's just a gang war, that's it. Why you want to lay out how there's something else at work here? Hey!, he called after her as she went back into the crime scene.
"Hey! I'm still senior on this scene. Just 'cause you've been right about..."

She held up a single finger as she walked away, her index finger and he replied, "I'm not giving you the 100%. Not even 90. You're lucky and the Chief's got the hots for you anyway."
Kaira's held up index finger dropped and the middle one came up as she got back to the next dead body. She would have replied in the past that she was married, but that didn't seem to stop her husband, or even her partner. "Oooo. What've we got here?", she said aloud to no one in particular. The body, eyes open in death, certainly didn't hear her.
Little did she know, that in less than a year's time, her partner would be killed in the line of duty, she'd have a miscarriage, and get divorced. It would be a year she'd never forget.

Last edited by Drachenspirit; 04-19-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:59 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 393
Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83
Interested but I do have a question.. Will the party have to choose one faction for all, have the possibility of being split or will a faction be pre-determined?
Old 04-11-2019, 04:31 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 866
Kuroyama Kuroyama Kuroyama Kuroyama Kuroyama Kuroyama Kuroyama
Posting my interest, soon to be converted into an interesting application.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:38 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I would like for the party to come to a consensus as to what faction they want to join once they learn of the two different factions.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:52 PM
Killing PC's Since 2005

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27806
Digorig Digorig Digorig Digorig Digorig Digorig Digorig Digorig Digorig Digorig Digorig
Withdrawn

Last edited by Digorig; 05-05-2019 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:56 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Nope, no sparkle.
Think the more generic brands of vampires from:
-The Blade movies
-DnD monster manual
-World of Darkness RPG
Old 04-11-2019, 05:03 PM
Killing PC's Since 2005

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27806
Digorig Digorig Digorig Digorig Digorig Digorig Digorig Digorig Digorig Digorig Digorig
Questions: How much is the DR for each? Necrotic; Bludgeoning, Piercing, And Slashing From Nonmagical Weapons

The Thirst: What is the time between feedings to become Exhausted (su)?

Do we look human and also have a vampire form (Change of facial features, fangs) Ah la Buffy and Angyl 90s TV Series?
Old 04-11-2019, 05:11 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
-DR in 5e is pretty much just half like a barbarian's Rage ability.
-I haven't decided quite yet on thirst and feedings but I think it's going to depend on How often your regeneration gets 'Used'/how much damage you take.
-I think i'm going to go with a more subtle change, Your character will look completely human until they become thirsty or they smell blood or become angry then their fangs will 'pop out' or engage for feeding. You'll almost have control over it as a player.

I used to think that the Vampire Diaries vampires were pretty cool but I have kinda moved away from that. I guess it would be okay if you decided what happens when the thirst kicks in or anger. Maybe little veinies around their eyes become really red or something or maybe their face changes.