Old Oct 7th, 2021, 07:50 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 51
Sigurdr
Best D&D edition to start

Hi all!
Hopefully this is as simple a question as it seems to me, but I doubt it...
What would be the easiest D&D version for a new player to start with?
It seems the higher the version number, the more confusing, and potentially off-putting it becomes.
Thanks!
Sig
Old Oct 7th, 2021, 08:34 AM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 30600
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
The newest edition, 5e, is almost certainly the easiest to learn. The only possible exception would be original D&D (OD&D) of "red box" and "blue box" fame. But you'll have a hard-ish time finding those legally, and a harder time finding a game that runs it.

3/3.5e is very likely the hardest to learn. 1e/2e aren't too complex, but they use systems that are confusing or frustrating to modern gamers (sometimes you need to roll high, sometimes low; better armor classes are smaller), and they're less forgiving - 1st level characters die a lot by design in 1e/2e.

No editions are super hard to learn, so don't hesitate to jump into whichever sounds best to you. But it's convenient that 5e is the newest, currently the most popular, and among the easiest to learn. If ease of learning is what you want, there are many other systems that are easier to learn yet - rules-lite systems like FATE or Powered by the ApocalypsePbtA. They're great, and worth trying! But if you want fantasy power adventuring with a large player base, D&D (and Pathfinder) are really the big dogs in town.

Last edited by Wynamoinen; Oct 7th, 2021 at 02:56 PM.
Old Oct 7th, 2021, 05:45 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 60
Nyx89
I am new to D&D and I've only played 5e so far, but it seems to be pretty easy to pick up and learn from my experience.
Old Oct 15th, 2021, 09:03 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 265
ImpInTraining ImpInTraining ImpInTraining
I got to agree with the consensus here. D&D 5e was simplified to speed up game play by removing a lot of complexed calculations. It's the best to get your feet wet with in my opinion. Of course... there is always freeform, which might not have any rules other than "What the GM says, goes."