Notices

Old Oct 14th, 2021, 02:58 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 265
ImpInTraining ImpInTraining ImpInTraining
Greetings & Salutations

The role-playing community is a relatively small world, all things being said. There is a chance some of you may know me... if not, allow me to introduce myself.

I've been gaming since 1983, started with AD&D - and tried pretty much anything I could get my hands on. I was among the first to host play-by-post games that were shared among different BBS back in 1990-91 with the Twin Towers or Kalib's Korner located downtown Frederick, Maryland.

When the Internet made BBS worlds antiquated, I went on to PlayByWeb, and then to RPoL, a few other smaller places, and then to make my own forum that ran for a decade using Perl script and YaBB system of forum scripting. You may be familiar with The Dark and Moody Forums. It has been retired for some time, though. I was in a kind of funk when my co-admin Andrew (aka Wildrunner) passed away.

But I've been having that itch... you know the one. You need to game, but there's no one to game with because of time or location or responsibilities.... that's the itch. That's why I'm here. Figured I'd check this place out and see how it fares.

(BTW - Forum Admin ... suggestion, the terms of service would be more legible for elderly eyes if it were either larger font or not black on dark gray. I had to highlight it to read it.)

Thanks for having me here.

-------

Added history... there was a spell when I was pretty active in the Thunder Bay MUD as well. That was when I had way more time on my hands.

Last edited by ImpInTraining; Oct 15th, 2021 at 08:44 AM.
Old Oct 14th, 2021, 05:03 PM
Proverbs 27:17

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2926
Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu
welcome to the site Imp.

What kind of games are you looking for?
Old Oct 14th, 2021, 05:20 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I am pretty open. Faves are D&D 5e, CoC, Paranoia - but I'll try anything once. I recently got the 5e Ravnica campaign book, so I was interested to see how that works in the grand scheme of things, but I figure the odds of finding a game in that campaign with a player slot open is pretty slim.
Old Oct 14th, 2021, 05:48 PM
Proverbs 27:17

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2926
Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu
My main focus is with Starfinder. So, if you are ever interested in playing a Science Fantasy game, let me know. As far as your other interested, DnD5e games are always popping up. The others might show up. There have been some unique games that have come up lately, so who knows.
Old Oct 14th, 2021, 05:59 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 44158
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Welcome to the club chummer!

That's quite the pedigree right there! How'd you hear about our little slice of internet heaven here? Do you have any friends here already or was it just a trusty Google search?

Do you have any good gaming stories to share? Newbies always have the best stories.

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help you settle in!
Old Oct 14th, 2021, 06:33 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenjitsu View Post
My main focus is with Starfinder. So, if you are ever interested in playing a Science Fantasy game, let me know.
Huh... well, I don't have any experience with that system, nor the books. But if you would coddle to a greenhorn, I'm game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imveros View Post
How'd you hear about our little slice of internet heaven here? Do you have any friends here already or was it just a trusty Google search?
Google is your friend. LOL. My first time here, but I may have friends here, hard to say.

Quote:
Do you have any good gaming stories to share? Newbies always have the best stories.
Plenty of stories... but there is lots of time to share those. Don't want to bore yall right off the bat.
Old Oct 14th, 2021, 06:46 PM
The bird with the words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14303
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Welcome to the site!
Old Oct 15th, 2021, 06:58 AM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 75693
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
welcome!

glad you googled us, and joined. always good to get a well seasoned imagination like yours. Happy gaming!
Old Oct 15th, 2021, 08:42 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I appreciate the warm welcome.
Old Oct 15th, 2021, 08:49 AM
rawr

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2972
Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23
Nice to see a fellow Paranoia fan (a game has just ended, sadly), and a Lovecraftian is always welcome here!

Playing: None. Running: The First Mask (Cthulhu Zero)
Old Oct 15th, 2021, 09:08 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
LOL - thanks. How messed up would it be if someone were twisted enough to slap both of those games together?
Old Oct 15th, 2021, 11:21 AM
Belle-Sprout

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21132
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
Hey there, ImpInTraining! Welcome to the site. What are you training for? Looking to increase your position in the order of devils? Or is this more training for being summoned by a morally questionable wizard as a familiar?

Nice! That's a pretty cool gaming pedigree. And it's kinda cool to see that someone who's had a lot of gaming experience still likes the new stuff. Not to rag on the old stuff, of course! But I see a lot of people who don't want to adapt to the new, and are just mean to the new systems of games that draw new people in. DnD5E isn't my favorite, but it's got its charms.

If you've got any questions, let us know! We're happy to help.

As for the default background, it is kind of annoying (IMO), but you can change it! Go to the bottom of the screen, and there's a pull-down menu on the bottom left. You can select a different forum skin from there. I personally prefer Parchment Redux. It's simple, clean, and readable. If you decide that you want to go blind, you can choose Lime.

Come watch the IronDM competition!
Old Oct 15th, 2021, 11:22 AM
rawr

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2972
Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpInTraining View Post
LOL - thanks. How messed up would it be if someone were twisted enough to slap both of those games together?
Sounds like an awesome game to me. When are you going to run it?

Playing: None. Running: The First Mask (Cthulhu Zero)
Old Oct 15th, 2021, 11:41 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unko Talok View Post
What are you training for?
Well, we'll see once I've passed on to the next stage.

Quote:
But I see a lot of people who don't want to adapt to the new, and are just mean to the new systems of games that draw new people in.
I kinda thrive on chaos. I actually enjoy trying new game systems to see if they've found better ways at doing it. I was on the fence for 5e, being a 3.5 fan for so long, but when I started DMing for friends, I did recognize how streamlined they made it.

Quote:
As for the default background, it is kind of annoying (IMO), but you can change it! Go to the bottom of the screen, and there's a pull-down menu on the bottom left. You can select a different forum skin from there. I personally prefer Parchment Redux. It's simple, clean, and readable. If you decide that you want to go blind, you can choose Lime.
Yeah, hey ... I saw the multitude of backgrounds in the first hour. Unfortunately, that is only available after you've made an account. Newcomers all have to try to read the terms of service with black on dark grey before they are even members. I'm in, so it don't much matter to me anymore, just giving my observation as an old web designer.
Old Oct 15th, 2021, 11:44 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemming23 View Post
Sounds like an awesome game to me. When are you going to run it?
The concept is rolling, twisting, convulsing, sliming through my mind as we speak. Keep your laser handy, and ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!