twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Oct 21st, 2006, 02:41 AM
Dynomite! Dynomite!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 37
Dinkleberg
Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazachstan.

Rad.
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 11:44 AM
Maxwell Demon Forever!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
eclipse
"if it not success, I will be execute"

Yes, I'm looking forward to this one, as well.
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Need more be said?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 81
Drakkanrider
I saw Borat. It was HILARIOUS, and I highly reccomend it.

I'm going to see Stranger than Fiction this afternoon. Anyone seen it yet and have an opinion?
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 11:09 PM
Quintessential Halfling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3282
KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi
Movie Discussion Thread

I searched and found one for New Movies, but I wanted a thread to jus talk about movies, like the ones that aren't in theaters at the moment. My inspiration for this thread, I just saw American History X. If you've seen American history X, you'll know why I have made a thread to discuss it.

Has anyone here seen American History X?... You can talk about other movies here too, I guess, But I'd like to know if anyone else here has seen the movie I've mentioned above.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Satisfaction Guaranteed*

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 850
anomalousman anomalousman anomalousman anomalousman anomalousman anomalousman anomalousman
Yep. That's a good movie. Not good as in "I enjoyed that", but good as in "that affected me".
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1069
DrTeeth DrTeeth DrTeeth DrTeeth DrTeeth DrTeeth DrTeeth DrTeeth
It nauseated me. Especially the killing scenes, those were harsh. The white people portrayed in that movie made me sick and embarassed to be white.
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Quintessential Halfling

Tools
User Statistics
KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi
And yet... I've met people like that, so it's not a lie.
The ending was the most shocking part, for me at least.
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Bond. James Bond

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1613
rjking rjking rjking rjking rjking rjking rjking rjking rjking rjking rjking
Yes, I have seen it. A wonderful film. It shows just how cruel the world can actually be when you allow any hate group to have power. Even when people change, the stereotypes they had previously gone by are still there, and a lot of people will not accept that they have changed.
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 01:04 PM
BigPiggyPigBigPig

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 39721
PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG
That's the movie that made me respect Edward Norton all the more. He totally transformed his self into another person for that role and made it believable.

Another good movie from which American History X counters is Malcolm X by Spike Lee. One was for white supremacy, the other for black supremacy. They were both betrayed by their own kind and it lifted the shroud from their eyes.

As for it making me embarrassed of being white... well look at history. No matter what color you are, there's often time nothing to be proud about in the past. Get over it and make sure to not let racism spread. It does no good to be ashamed, it's counter productive and further demotes one race from the other.

So if you like this movie then go see Malcom X. Great perfomances, score, editing, directing, and moral.

On a passing note: there was an interesting 60 Minutes article about white supremacist. They say that it's on the rise, under the radar. So I think we all need to do our part and criticize racism openly on all sides, no matter if it's coming from white people or black.

Last edited by PIG; Jan 7th, 2007 at 01:11 PM.
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Quintessential Halfling

Tools
User Statistics
I still don't understand what they had against Jews, I mean... 1930's Germans had reasons to hate Jews, just as White Americans have reasons(Bad ones, but still solid reasons.) today to hate Black and Hispanic people.

But why the Jews? I mean, that's just plain stupidity.
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 01:17 PM
BigPiggyPigBigPig

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 39721
PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG
Like the Chinese throughout the world, the Jews were a wondering minority that took up middle man positions in the society that they lived. They would isolate their selves and use their discipline and knowledge to boost their buying power, using shrewdness to beat back the compatition. Thus they grew while others remained either poor or middle class. So from the natives they looked like crooks, while on the bigpicture they were actually boosting the economy.

But that's not the real reason.

They are a minority and they are always different no matter where they go -and that makes them vulnerable. That's why they get attacked so much.

Last edited by PIG; Jan 7th, 2007 at 01:18 PM.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Esratihs
Has anyone seen the movie Stay Alive? I found it to be quite a good film, for a modern horror it did have a fear aspect to it unlike most around, plus I liked the story, basically theres a video game and when you die in the game you die in real life. I thought it could be good to incorperate into a roleplay.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 05:34 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Yazzman
American History X is an exceptional movie and I've seen it 4 times already. If you are interested in this kind of movies (anti-neonazi), try Romper Stomper (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105275/) with young Russel Crowe, or Crash (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375679/) and Monster's Ball (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0285742/ - this one gives me creeps every time I see it) - both show a grudge and prejudice to other races pretty well. And if you've liked Edward Norton, you have to see Fight Club (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0137523/), my most favourite movie ever.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
TheGuitarSolo
Anyone see The Good German? I loved it, it was a homage to the noir films of the 40s and 50s and it was pulled off very excellently. George Clooney gave a good performance. I can't believe I just said that last line as I tend not to like him in movies...
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Need more be said?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 81
Drakkanrider
I just saw Fight Club, and all I have to say is "Wow". *Mild Spoilers in the following*

I thought it was just going to be a bunch of half-naked men beating the crap out of eachother with occasional interspersions of comedy, but one of my friends finally made me see it last night, and it was amazing. I need to watch it again just so I can imagine Norton doing/saying all of the things Brad Pitt was doing. That makes Norton the main character in two of my top 5 favorite movies. I've never really liked any of the roles Brad Pitt has ever done, but I don't think they could have picked a better actor for that part. I also love how you don't even realize you don't know "Jack"'s name until near the end of the movie.

His name was Robert Paulson. His name was Robert Paulson. His name was Robert Paulson...

Last edited by Drakkanrider; Jan 14th, 2007 at 12:01 AM.