RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > D20 Modern > Across the Volga
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 02-26-2012, 09:38 AM
Wolesz's Avatar
Wolesz Wolesz is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-17-2017
RPXP: 341
Wolesz Wolesz Wolesz Wolesz
Posts: 501
Dolokhov frowns in surprise as the Sergeant, this sad man, gives his rifle to him. He is speechless for a good few seconds, but finally manages to utter a few words. "Uh. Thank you, Comrade Sergeant." In an afterthought, he removes his glove and extends his hand toward Ovitchken. "Makar Alexeevich Dolokhov, pleased to meet you."
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-26-2012, 05:24 PM
Cheaplaffs Cheaplaffs is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-20-2014
RPXP: 1027
Cheaplaffs Cheaplaffs Cheaplaffs Cheaplaffs Cheaplaffs Cheaplaffs Cheaplaffs Cheaplaffs
Posts: 3,724
Commissar Scar removes his glove and grasps his Juinor Commissar's hand firmly, hoping he won't notice its trembling. "My name is Viktor. Do not be so formal. We could die today, Comrade." He says simply, locking eyes with Dolokhov and then sharply turning away, patting him on the back. He moves to walk further down the boat and inspect the rest of his men, but then as if forgetting something he turns around, shuffles forward and fumbling in his coat he extends his other hand to the officer. Not a shake this time - a closed fist. "Find me on the shore. We'll meet on the other side." His face is more serious now, and you realize these are orders. Ovitchken opens his hand: a rifle clip of five rounds. "You'll need this, Comrade. Good luck." He then turns away, looking for concerned faces.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-27-2012, 08:12 AM
HuaiXin's Avatar
HuaiXin HuaiXin is offline
Chibi Commandant Supreme
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-17-2018
RPXP: 1328
HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin
Posts: 1,895
A shrieking howl chills the spine of everyone on the rickety ferry. Several of the veteran guards start calling, “Stukas! Stukas! Get down!” Panic grows on the boat; most crouch down as low as they can, there is swearing and cursing as feet and fingers get trampled. Marikhov remains stoic and upright, eyes scanning over the terrified group. The howling grows louder, the distant boom of anti-aircraft fire doing seemingly nothing to deter the gull winged bombers as they zero their aim on the black bowes floating across the Volga. As the demonic howl of the Stukas grow in volume several soldiers can be heard praying, some weeping in fear as other issue vile and angry oaths against their enemy.
__________________
Some characters are born posthumously.
See my campaigns Blod Stormur: Flying Ships, Mithril Men, Bl Stormur: Mysteries of the Lucitean Gulf and Bl Stormur: Blood and Snow in Arkadia
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-27-2012, 03:59 PM
Allu's Avatar
Allu Allu is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 10-19-2019
RPXP: 742
Allu Allu Allu Allu Allu Allu Allu
Posts: 2,408
As the first shout of Stuka goes up Mikhail's bowels freeze like the cold weather around him was unable to do and he curses, wishing for a second that he had been issued a bigger weapon than this pea shooter but he soon shakes himself out if it "the comrade commissar knows what he's doing, they wouldn't have done this without reason so I can't gainsay them." With that thought of commander competence buoying him somewhat he gets back into the half shelter provided by the ferry's wheelhouse eaves and points his machine gun into the sky, not to waste ammunition which he realises is in short supply but to make himself feel better.

Last edited by Allu; 02-27-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-27-2012, 07:01 PM
Kittenmancer's Avatar
Kittenmancer Kittenmancer is offline
Space dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-28-2019
RPXP: 2062
Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer
Posts: 1,137
Hearing the approaching noise of the bombers, Ekaterina twists in her seat, swiveling the scoped rifle in search of an easy target, waiting for that moment when the transversal velocity is just right and the bullet can sail away through the swirling snowflakes and find a vital spot on the metal bird. She tunes out the shouts and curses all around, her focus on the black shapes speeding towards them, every muscle in her body tense with concentration.
__________________
=^.^=
Playing Torra Voliokerdam, dwarf kineticist,
and Sette Tawhoq, ratfolk investigator.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-27-2012, 10:56 PM
Wolesz's Avatar
Wolesz Wolesz is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-17-2017
RPXP: 341
Wolesz Wolesz Wolesz Wolesz
Posts: 501
OH SHI-

Dolokhov braces himself, clutching the newly given rifle, and the meager sense of safety it provides. Seeing Marikhov's response, or rather lack thereof, he tries to relax himself, but manages only to remain still in a way that doesn't give a hint of him cowering and clinging desperately to a life that has suddenly become so precious.

Hopefully that Marikhov didn't see that.

As the wail of incoming bombers drowns out all sound, Dolokhov gives in to fatalism and starts considering the irony of his situation, beginning with the fact that he wanted to get here so badly, and ending with his role in the place he wanted to escape so much - which was very similar to that of the dive bomber crews right here.

I need a smoke.

The Commissar promptly turns this idea to life, and sticks two cigarettes into his mouth. The inhalation of smoke is soothing, and an observer could be now easily misled into thinking Dolokhov doesn't really care.

Last edited by Wolesz; 02-27-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-28-2012, 12:39 AM
BloodyDove's Avatar
BloodyDove BloodyDove is offline
SPAAAAAAACE!!!!!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-11-2012
RPXP: 214
BloodyDove BloodyDove BloodyDove
Posts: 260
That sound. That... f***ing... sound... Alexi had heard the unmistakable devil's siren of Stuka dive bombers on more than one occasion. But this was worse. No foxhole to dive into. No cellar to crouch down in. No woods to run into. He was stuck in the middle of an icy river on a glorified barge, and there was absolutely nowhere for him to escape to or hide in. All he could do was crouch down and pray to the God he only half believed in that the planes would target some other boat but spare his. To die like this, against an enemy he could not even fight back against...
__________________
"Alright, this next test may involve trace amounts of time travel. So, word of advice: If you meet yourself on the testing track, don't make eye contact. Lab boys tell me that'll wipe out time. Entirely. Forward and backward."
~Cave Johnson, Portal 2
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-28-2012, 08:12 AM
HuaiXin's Avatar
HuaiXin HuaiXin is offline
Chibi Commandant Supreme
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-17-2018
RPXP: 1328
HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin
Posts: 1,895
The banshee wail of the Stukas reaches its peak. There is a moment of silence before a wave of pressure rattles bones and teeth, the ferry heaves and groans as it takes the shockwave from the bomb. Time seems to slow as tossed up water crashes on to the deck drenching the soldiers, men tumble as the deck slants and an ear splitting boom deafens those on deck. Things start to stabilize, men start rising to their feet… and the process is repeated once more as second bomb rocks the boat. More cautiously those on the ferry start to recover, for a while the only sounds are the sobbing of the weak and the groans of the injured. Marikhov during the whole ordeal has only moved to place a steadying hand on the ferry railing. “At least no one here was stupid enough to go overboard,” he looks into the freezing water of the Volga as he speaks. A lone guardsman at the stern of the boat begins to laugh uproariously.
__________________
Some characters are born posthumously.
See my campaigns Blod Stormur: Flying Ships, Mithril Men, Bl Stormur: Mysteries of the Lucitean Gulf and Bl Stormur: Blood and Snow in Arkadia
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-28-2012, 11:26 AM
Cheaplaffs Cheaplaffs is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-20-2014
RPXP: 1027
Cheaplaffs Cheaplaffs Cheaplaffs Cheaplaffs Cheaplaffs Cheaplaffs Cheaplaffs Cheaplaffs
Posts: 3,724
Noticing his comrades' fear, Ovitchken pushes the feeling of panic down below his feet and turns back towards the men on his boat, trying to be heard over the increasingly noisy dive bombers. "Hold, comrades! Do not be afraid!!" The rest of his sentence is cut off by the aircraft dropping its ordinance at them, exploding nearby and soaking half of the ship. The mountain of tension in his chest begins to sink and Commissar Scar looks over his men, making sure none of them were wounded.

"They may be coming back!" He advises, gripping the railing with one hand. "Keep your heads down, comrades! We are almost across!"
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-01-2012, 11:09 PM
BloodyDove's Avatar
BloodyDove BloodyDove is offline
SPAAAAAAACE!!!!!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-11-2012
RPXP: 214
BloodyDove BloodyDove BloodyDove
Posts: 260
Well, that was... not fun. Alexi tried shakily pulling himself to his feet, but his unsteady legs and the rocking boat conspired against that action, and he settled for pulling himself into a crouch leaning against the side of the ferry. Almost without thinking, he'd pulled out a cigarette, past caring if someone would try to beg one off of him. After lighting it and gratefully inhaling the smoke, he pulled his submachinegun close and rested it on his knees, eyes scanning the sky in the event the thrice damned planes returned to make them miserable again.
__________________
"Alright, this next test may involve trace amounts of time travel. So, word of advice: If you meet yourself on the testing track, don't make eye contact. Lab boys tell me that'll wipe out time. Entirely. Forward and backward."
~Cave Johnson, Portal 2
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-02-2012, 10:31 PM
Wolesz's Avatar
Wolesz Wolesz is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-17-2017
RPXP: 341
Wolesz Wolesz Wolesz Wolesz
Posts: 501
Dolokhov finishes his cigarette and throws it into the river. The rocking, it makes him feel sick. He loosens his grip on the rifle. He tries not to think of the predicament he's found himself in. But he can't. Pure madness. And I longed for getting here. Damnit.

Should I say something...inspirational? That's probably expected of me. Great. Okay, Makar, calm. Be angry. But remain stately. Powerful.

"Alright men, steady. Keep heads low. Once we're on the other shore, we'll have the Wehrmacht bastards pay for that. We'll have them pay so hard that those who survive will be pis*ed at their Luftwaffe buddies for making the Red Army angry."

Last edited by Wolesz; 03-02-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-03-2012, 03:07 AM
Allu's Avatar
Allu Allu is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 10-19-2019
RPXP: 742
Allu Allu Allu Allu Allu Allu Allu
Posts: 2,408
Mikhail is visibly shaken by the Stukas at first, an enemy he can't face is an ugly thing for a young lad to have to go through but after they have passed his optimism quickly returns, they survived once and are just as likely to survive again afterall. Taking heart from his comrades who stood as if nothing was happening the young conscript straightens his back and after the comrade sergeant made his speech gave a sincere, chesty cheer "For the motherland we shall survive and fight the fascists."
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-06-2012, 03:30 AM
HuaiXin's Avatar
HuaiXin HuaiXin is offline
Chibi Commandant Supreme
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-17-2018
RPXP: 1328
HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin HuaiXin
Posts: 1,895
The soldiers nod and a few smile at the apparent bravery of their officers. A few seconds later another huge explosion rocks the boat, this time followed by a wash of hot air carrying the sickening scent of burning wood and charred flesh. A ferry travelling further down was not so lucky, catching a stuka dive bomb. Water and debris is thrown high into the air scattered by the icy gale, red stains blooming on the tortured Volga where body parts fall, sharp wooden fragments and metal shards whizz overhead. Soldiers crouch and some start to pray again. The ferry begins to near the dock through all the chaos regardless though, Marikhov leaps to the bowsprit, “Comrades we can only go forward! Brace yourselves for landing and steel your hearts for combat! ZA RODINA! ZA STALINA!”
__________________
Some characters are born posthumously.
See my campaigns Blod Stormur: Flying Ships, Mithril Men, Bl Stormur: Mysteries of the Lucitean Gulf and Bl Stormur: Blood and Snow in Arkadia
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-06-2012, 06:55 AM
Kittenmancer's Avatar
Kittenmancer Kittenmancer is offline
Space dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-28-2019
RPXP: 2062
Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer
Posts: 1,137
Ekaterina's voice cuts through the frozen air like a sharp knife as she shouts at the top of her lungs "ZA RODINA!", in answer to the commander's encouragement. Her knuckles are white on the rifle as she clutches it with both hands, already scanning for a good spot on the landing beach. She would sprint to shelter and provide covering fire for the soldiers still disembarking, picking out officers if she could spot them or other threatening targets.
__________________
=^.^=
Playing Torra Voliokerdam, dwarf kineticist,
and Sette Tawhoq, ratfolk investigator.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Cheaplaffs Cheaplaffs is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-20-2014
RPXP: 1027
Cheaplaffs Cheaplaffs Cheaplaffs Cheaplaffs Cheaplaffs Cheaplaffs Cheaplaffs Cheaplaffs
Posts: 3,724
Commissar Scar is already shouting orders before the boat moors to the dock. As his men pile out and assemble on the bank, one can clearly hear Ovitchken giving general instructions like, "Go, go, go! Everyone out of the boat, move it, now!" He knew the longer his men remained on the river, the more chances the German had to stop them in thier tracks. Offering just one last look across the Volga, to where sinking barges and debris lining the water can still be seen.

Hopping out of the boat, Ovitchken reaches inside his coat and draws his pistol, jerking back the muzzle slide to chamber a round. He then points it in the air and starts waving it towards thier destination, hearding his men to relative momentary saftey on shore. "Do not bunch up, comrades! Use the debris on shore for cover!"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:00 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2019, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB