Game Thread The Sunless Citadel - Page 7 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Ashardalon Series
twitter facebook
0 7 1 0
... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #91  
Old 10-12-2015, 04:55 PM
Clockwerk66's Avatar
Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-25-2019
RPXP: 883
Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66
Posts: 1,430
As the group made it to the bottom of the makeshift stone stairs, Libitia took a moment or two to simply stop and take in her surroundings, particularly the overall ruined structure that could only be that of the Sunless Citadel itself. "I have to admit....this was not the sort of dungeoneering I was expecting at all. I suppose this explains why they call it "sunless"" the aasimar mused to her group.

Acknowledging Kalvin's suggestion for someone checking the nearby door for traps, the young wizard turned to Zintara. "Zintara? Would you like to give that a shot? I doubt anyone else would be well-suited to that sort of work. I can bring my light to you if you need it as well."
__________________
Currently away on vacation as of May 5th, 2017. Will be back on May 22nd, barring any unforeseen complications.
  #92  
Old 10-12-2015, 05:13 PM
sageheart's Avatar
sageheart sageheart is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-10-2019
RPXP: 4526
sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart
Posts: 5,374
Akon chuckled at the assimar's small joke. I agree, I was expecting something more...heroic. Gazing at the door, he looks over the group. While he himself might be crafty at the art of checking on doors, he was way out of practice. His days on the streets had made him well aware of the dangers of a well-placed trap, but he had always made it a point to avoid such places rather than learn of them. To further the matter he had pawned off his thieves tools on his way here. Something he was sure he would be cursing about for some time to come.

Still Zintara seemed more than capable. He could see himself liking the chaotic and free-spirited thief, despite their different dogmas. Of course only time would tell, they had only had a night or two to speak.

Keeping his longsword ready for any creatures that might erupt from the room, he prepared himself for their next engagement. With a nod, he motioned for Zintara, I believe this would be your area of expertise, yes?
  #93  
Old 10-12-2015, 06:39 PM
EttinWill's Avatar
EttinWill EttinWill is offline
Very Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 10-22-2018
RPXP: 946
EttinWill EttinWill EttinWill EttinWill EttinWill EttinWill EttinWill EttinWill
Posts: 608
After retrieving one of her crossbow bolts from the charred corpse of the rat, Zintara joins the rest of the party at the door. With Libitia and Akon’s words of encouragement, Zintara gently clasps Olfactra’s arm as the elf approaches the door with her cheery excitement. "Just a moment Ollie, I think it might be best if I go first to make sure there are any hazards. I wouldn’t want you to get hurt." Turning to Libitia, she nods, "And yes, some light would be welcome, if you could shine it toward the door."

Once the posts and lintel are fully visible, the rogue then takes a deep breath, "Here goes nothing." Zintara looks around the door for signs of wear caused by any repetitive mechanism. Her eyes scan meticulously for dart holes betraying some sinister missile as a stillness falls over the group. Only the sound of breathing breaks the silence. She finally examines the door handle to see if the lock is trapped, and if the door is locked.


OOCJust so you are not waiting on me to unlock the door or open the door if there are no traps...let's assume Z
Dice Thieves' Tools:
1d20+7 (20)+7 Total = 27
tries to unlock the door, once we determine it has no traps. If the door is trapped, then
Dice Investigation:
1d20+5 (13)+5 Total = 18
she searches for the catch to disable it. If she can't disable it for some reason, she will tell everyone to back away and try to
Dice Attack Trap:
1d20+5 (11)+5 Total = 16
trip it with a shot from her xbow. If the door is unlocked or if she unlocks it, she opens it slowly to review the next area. If she can't open it...I guess she would turn to Akon and invite him to bash it.

wow that is some decision tree...sorry all.

Last edited by EttinWill; 10-12-2015 at 07:01 PM.
  #94  
Old 10-12-2015, 07:15 PM
Giot's Avatar
Giot Giot is offline
For the Glory of Tiamat!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-09-2019
RPXP: 5542
Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot
Posts: 3,908
Day 1, early afternoonThe group takes a few moments to pick its way across the rubble. Several missteps send loose rocks skittering across the debris field, echoing loudly up and down the ravine. But slowly, the group makes its way to the clearing in front of the door. There, Zintara stays Olfactra's hand as the druid was ready to swing the door open. Libitia steps forward with a light and the doorway becomes illuminated. There, reflecting the bright light, is a thin wire running up the side of the doorframe and along the wall. Following the line, the rogue can see a small wedge holding several rocks in place about ten feet above the door where you all now stand.
__________________
Status: Travel Sept 29-Oct 2, Oct 6-9
Player: Kregan
DM: Xera
  #95  
Old 10-12-2015, 09:51 PM
EttinWill's Avatar
EttinWill EttinWill is offline
Very Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 10-22-2018
RPXP: 946
EttinWill EttinWill EttinWill EttinWill EttinWill EttinWill EttinWill EttinWill
Posts: 608
Zintara quietly points to the rocks above the doorway. "Well, it looks like someone doesn't want people getting in. Makes me wonder how the other party that came a month ago fared. Perhaps they never got past the rats, poor fools. Or maybe...they found a way to disable the trap long enough to get in!"

Her face brightens with a look of glee, such as one might find on a child who had just found a long-lost toy. With a deep breath, Zintara blows off the dust and cobwebs covering the wire Investigation Roll: 18 (see previous post, OOC)to see if there is a switch or catch.
  #96  
Old 10-12-2015, 11:02 PM
Giot's Avatar
Giot Giot is offline
For the Glory of Tiamat!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-09-2019
RPXP: 5542
Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot
Posts: 3,908
Zintara doesn't see any kind of mechanism. Upon closer inspection she can see that the wire is rigged to simply pull the wedge once the door is swung open. It is a rather crude device but potentially deadly none the less.
__________________
Status: Travel Sept 29-Oct 2, Oct 6-9
Player: Kregan
DM: Xera
  #97  
Old 10-13-2015, 08:03 AM
Magpie Manny's Avatar
Magpie Manny Magpie Manny is offline
Chick 'n Wings
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 11-08-2015
RPXP: 441
Magpie Manny Magpie Manny Magpie Manny Magpie Manny Magpie Manny
Posts: 3,137
"Well, well. This is apparently what she lives for." Archibald says with a knowing smile on his face. "You know how to get past it? I definitely DO NOT want to be crushed, but I am sort of curious for what we find going further. Just so you know, I think you should have point."
__________________
Caelynn ¦ Archibald Nightwell III
  #98  
Old 10-13-2015, 10:44 AM
Klar Slasher's Avatar
Klar Slasher Klar Slasher is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-07-2019
RPXP: 5193
Klar Slasher Klar Slasher Klar Slasher Klar Slasher Klar Slasher Klar Slasher Klar Slasher Klar Slasher Klar Slasher Klar Slasher Klar Slasher
Posts: 5,826
Kalvin watches Zintara work on the door from the side ready to go in after she gets it open. Seeing her work on the tripwire she found and trace it to the top of the door area where a bunch of rocks and boulders wait to crush them, Kalvin steps About 15-20 feet awayfarther away from the door just in case it gets set off by accident or in the event that it needs set off to bypass it.
  #99  
Old 10-13-2015, 01:35 PM
Clockwerk66's Avatar
Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-25-2019
RPXP: 883
Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66
Posts: 1,430
Libitia blinked as she gazed at the tripwire Zibtara found, and traced it with her eyes up to the wedge keeping the rocks from tumbling down on top of them. "Ah....good eye, Zintara. I see caution will clearly be the word of the day here" the aasimar commented, feeling much more appreciative of the rogue's obvious talents.

"I don't know traps terribly well....but would simply cutting the wire serve to disarm it? It seems to me that the wedge itself is keeping the boulders up, not the wire it's connected to."
__________________
Currently away on vacation as of May 5th, 2017. Will be back on May 22nd, barring any unforeseen complications.

Last edited by Clockwerk66; 10-13-2015 at 01:37 PM.
  #100  
Old 10-13-2015, 02:55 PM
Giot's Avatar
Giot Giot is offline
For the Glory of Tiamat!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-09-2019
RPXP: 5542
Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot
Posts: 3,908
Day 1, The Sunless CitadelEveryone steps back as Zintara cautiously prepairs to clip the wire. Her hands are steady but a single bead of sweat rolls off her cheek as she holds the wire cutters. A quick glance up at the rocks and a steady pull on the cutters and a loud clip resonates in the silent room. The two wires dangle seperately, and the way is clear. Zintara opens the door, and the party moves without a word into the darkness beyond.

The area you enter appears to have been an old tower. The masonry still holds firm for about thirty feet up, after which the tower simply is no more. A set of stairs which wound up the side of the tower can be seen, but it too ends when the tower does, and is now a staircase leading to nowhere. Four goblins are in the room, all dead for quite some time. The rats have largely picked them over, but large chunks of flesh still dangle from the skeletons. One of the goblins is proped up against the western wall, a spear skewering it in place.
__________________
Status: Travel Sept 29-Oct 2, Oct 6-9
Player: Kregan
DM: Xera

Last edited by Giot; 10-14-2015 at 04:13 PM.
  #101  
Old 10-13-2015, 03:38 PM
Klar Slasher's Avatar
Klar Slasher Klar Slasher is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-07-2019
RPXP: 5193
Klar Slasher Klar Slasher Klar Slasher Klar Slasher Klar Slasher Klar Slasher Klar Slasher Klar Slasher Klar Slasher Klar Slasher Klar Slasher
Posts: 5,826
Upon entering the room, Kalvin looks around and examines the goblin bodies for anything useful and any signs of you or what killed them.

Dice perception:
1d20+5 (14)+5 Total = 19
  #102  
Old 10-13-2015, 04:29 PM
Giot's Avatar
Giot Giot is offline
For the Glory of Tiamat!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-09-2019
RPXP: 5542
Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot
Posts: 3,908
As you approach the bodies, the smell of rot fills your nostrils. It is bad enough the make your eyes water and your nose run to try and block the pungent oder.

Each goblin seems to have been looted already. The various deep cuts and scorch marks, along with the goblin skewered on the spear indicates a battle. The goblin's swords are still there though, and the spear is wedged Strength check to remove the spearfairly tight into the masonry behind the goblin.
__________________
Status: Travel Sept 29-Oct 2, Oct 6-9
Player: Kregan
DM: Xera
  #103  
Old 10-13-2015, 05:00 PM
EttinWill's Avatar
EttinWill EttinWill is offline
Very Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 10-22-2018
RPXP: 946
EttinWill EttinWill EttinWill EttinWill EttinWill EttinWill EttinWill EttinWill
Posts: 608
Zintara grimaces at the stench. "Goblins. I wonder if this is another sign of the other group. But how did they get past the trap…?" The woman grabs one of Kalvin’s lightstones and glances at Akron and Olfactra, "I’ll check to see if there are any passages or doors here. Either of you able to figure out which way their attackers went?"

Zintara then shines the stone on the far circular wall, looking for an egress.


OOCI will search for hidden doors and search for traps, locks, etc on any of the doors. I will
Dice Investigation:
1d20+5 (1)+5 Total = 6
untrap and
Dice Thieves’ Tools:
1d20+7 (13)+7 Total = 20
unlock anything I find but I will not go through the doors before telling the group what I found.
  #104  
Old 10-13-2015, 06:02 PM
Magpie Manny's Avatar
Magpie Manny Magpie Manny is offline
Chick 'n Wings
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 11-08-2015
RPXP: 441
Magpie Manny Magpie Manny Magpie Manny Magpie Manny Magpie Manny
Posts: 3,137
As the door opens Archibald jumps/steps inside, both hand blazing with fire and eyes gleaming with sorcerous power. "WHaaaaah!" he yells, ready for anything.

Once inside the thick scent of rotting goblins attack his senses, and instead of looking like a fierce and powerful sorcerer he looks like a sick puppy. His face turns green and you can hear him swallow back the vomit in his mouth.

"Ahhh. I just mouth-vomited a bit." he says with a grimace. "How long have the little suckers lain here? And does this mean that this whole place is already combed out? Anyways, lets not dally here to long. This place stinks and if the other party has been here already, I doubt we'll find anything of use." His words sound strange and nasal, when you look at sorcerer you can see that he is pinching his nose.
__________________
Caelynn ¦ Archibald Nightwell III

Last edited by Magpie Manny; 10-13-2015 at 06:04 PM.
  #105  
Old 10-14-2015, 12:43 AM
Clockwerk66's Avatar
Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-25-2019
RPXP: 883
Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66
Posts: 1,430
Entering the old tower, Libitia quickly put her free hand over her nose and mouth, repulsed by the horrid smell of rot that permeated the room. "Merciful gods that's awful!" she commented with a muffled voice, as she looked around at the goblin corpses lying around, and then looked around the room in general, trying to find a way out of here as quickly as possible with her brightly-illuminated staff.

"If there's....nothing here, could we perhaps move on soon? I...really don't think we should linger here for much longer."


Dice Perception:
1d20+1 (19)+1 Total = 20
__________________
Currently away on vacation as of May 5th, 2017. Will be back on May 22nd, barring any unforeseen complications.

Last edited by Clockwerk66; 10-14-2015 at 12:44 AM.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:01 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2019, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB