XP TrackerCombat 1 (Giant Rats): 25 xp
Combat 2 (Skeletons): 50 xp
Combat 3 (Goblins): 50+25 xp, 46 cp, 15 sp, and 19 gp
Thanksgiving: 100 xp
Christmas: 100 xp
"Combat 4" (Rotfoot): 5 xp
Combat 5 (8 Goblins): 200 xp, 24 cp, 50 sp, 10 gp, 5 pp
*Introduction of new players*

Rules for PbP:1) Food and water consumption will be tracked. It is ill advised to adventure on an empty stomach (note that alchoholic beverages are a poor substitute for water for rehydrating yourself during vigorous activities, even for dwarves!). Lighting will also be accounted for, don't forget to bring a light source!

2) If an ability says "you can do xxx after a roll occurs but before the results are known" (meaning I or you could roll a saving throw and you may have seen the results, but wouldn't know if it passed or failed yet because of possible modifiers or unknown DCs), please inform me of your desire to have this ability 'queued up'. I will use the best of my discretion to adhere to how you want to use these kinds of abilities, but in PbP format it can be difficult. For instance, you could tell me "I only want to use this ability if I roll a 5 or lower" and that would be very clear, but if you say "I want to use this ability on a low roll" then I have to try and figure out what you mean (is a 7 low, is a 5 not low enough?).

3) While I am not going to push this game to move super quick, to keep things moving I am going to lump the players and monsters into 2 initiative groups. Each player and each monster will get an initiative roll, highest wins for their group! All players can go on the player's turn in any particular order (aka whoever posts first goes first). You are welcome to ready actions and such during your turn. See post #2 below

4) I am a first time DM and this is my first time with 5e, I would like everyone to work together to help out with learing the mechanics and critiquing my DMing. I will take no comment you make about my style as offensive (unless you start cussing a lot...). D&D is a game of remembering lots of little rules. While 5e tries to clean that up a bit, it still has a learning curve. So lets help everyone out! As an added bonus for you guys, if you catch a mechanical error in my posts I will give you an extra hero point. Note, this isn't going to apply to arguments about porting things from 3.5 to 5, but more about "you forgot to include the proficiency bonus to that roll". This will also apply if I forget to do #2 above.

5) If you do not post for more than 1 week during combat, I will NPC skip your character, assuming they would have attacked and missed. Please have a set of actions or general behaviors laid out in your character sheet in the notes section so I can see what it is that you would prefer I do with your character while you are gone. If you do not post for more than 1 month with no advanced notice, I will begin looking to replace you. I don't want this game falling apart, so mia player characters could be considered expendable to get a replacement character in. There will be several good break points between modules if you feel like you want to remove yourself from the game, just let me know ahead of time so I can begin finding a replacement. I hope not to have to exercise these options, but life happens and I definitely get that (I work 40-60 hours per week and am in a PhD program O.o). Posting rates may slow and that is fine, if you can't keep up 100% with the group that is fine too, I just don't want people completely disappearing.

WotC Rule Variants:When adventurers find armor, clothing, and similar items that are made to be worn, they might need to visit an armorsmith, tailor, leatherworker, or similar expert to make the item wearable. The cost for such work varies from 10 to 40 percent of the market price of the item. The DM can either roll d4 x 10 or determine the increase in cost based on the extent of the alterations required.Equipment Sizes (PHB p145)
At certain leveIs, your class gives you the Ability Score Improvement feature. Using the optional feats rule, you can forgo taking that feature to take a feat of your choice instead. You can take each feat only once, unless the feat's description says otherwise.
You must meet any prerequisite specified in a feat to take that feat. If you ever lose a feat's prerequisite, you can't use lhat feat until you regain the prerequisite.
For example, the Grappler feat requires you to have a Strength of 13 or higher. If your Strength is reduced below 13 somehow-perhaps by a withering curse- you can't benefit from the Grappler feat until your Strength is restored.
Feats (PHB p165)
A character can't spend any Hit Dice after finishing a short rest until someone expends one use of a healer's kit to bandage and treat the character's wounds. DM Change: A character can attempt to make a Wisdom (Medicine) check DC 10 (no retry), drink a potion of healing, or cast a cure spell on the character wishing to use Hit Dice in lieu of using a healer's kit charge. One of these four things must occur before a character may use their Hit Dice to regain health after a rest. This applies for the Hit Dice expended during a short or long rest (see the Slow Natural Healing rule variant).

DM Addition: Any healing spell or ability used in conjunction with a short or long rest automatically does 1/2 of the maximum healing possible if the total results of the rolls produce an effect that would be less than 1/2 of the maximum. For example, if a d8+2 is rolled during a short rest to heal a player and the dice comes up as 2, meaning that 4 points of health are restored, then 6 points of health (1/2 of 1d8+2) are restored instead.
Healer’s Kit Dependency (DMG p266)
With this option, a character starts with 5 hero point at 1st level. Each time the character gains a level, he or she loses any unspent hero points and gains a new total equal to 5 + half the character's level.
A player can spend a hero point whenever he or she makes an attack roll, an ability check, or a saving throw. The player can spend the hero point after the roll is made but before any of its results are applied. Spending the hero point allows the player to roll a d6 and add it to the d20, possibly turning a failure into a success. A player can spend only 1 hero point per roll.
In addition, whenever a character fails a death saving throw, the player can spend one hero point to turn the failure into a success.
Hero Points (DMG p264)
When a ranged attack misses a target that has cover, you can use this optional rule to determine whether the cover was struck by the attack.
First, determine whether the attack roll would have hit the protected target without the cover. If the attack roll falls within a range low enough to miss the target but high enough to strike the target if there had been no cover, the object used for cover is struck. If a creature is providing cover for the missed creature and the attack roll exceeds the AC of the covering creature, the covering creature is hit.
Hitting Cover (DMG p272)
Your DM can choose to give you inspiration for a variety of reasons. Typically, DMs award it when you play out your personality traits, give in to the drawbacks presented by a flaw or bond, and otherwise portray your character in a compelIing way. You either have inspiration or you don't-you can't stockpile multiple "inspirations" for later use.
lf you have inspiration, you can expend it when you make an attack roll, saving throw, or ability check. Spending your inspiration gives you advantage on that roll.
Inspiration (PHB p125; DMG p240)
When a creature takes damage from a single source equal to or greater than half its hit point maximum, it must succeed on a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or suffer a random effect determined by a roll on the System Shock table.Massive Damage (DMG p273) with a 20 damage minimum
If you prefer magic items to have a greater mystique, consider removing the ability to identify the properties of a magic item during a short rest, and require the identify spell, experimentation, or both to reveal what a magic item does.More Difficult Magic Item identification (DMG p136)
Multiclassing allows you to gain leveis in multiple classes. Doing so lets you mix the abilities of those classes to realize a character concept that might not be reflected in one of the standard class options.
With this role, you have the option of gaining a level in a new class whenever you advance in level, instead of gaining a leveI in your current class. Your levels in
all your classes are added together to determine your character leveI. For example, if you have three leveIs in wizard and two in fighter, you're a 5th-level character.
As you advance in levels, you might primarily remain a member of your original class with just a few levels in another class, or you might change course entirely, never looking back at the class you left behind. You might even start progressing in a third or fourth class.
Compared to a single-class character of the same level, you'lI sacrifice some focus in exchange for versatility.
Multiclassing (PHB p163)
A creature who tries and fails to cast a spell from a spell scroll must make a DC 10 Intelligence saving throw. If the saving throw fails, roll on the Scroll Mishap table.Scroll Mishaps (DMG p140)
Characters don't regain hit points at the end of a long rest. Instead a character can spend Hit Dice to heal at the end of a long rest, just as with a short rest. DM Change: You may roll a number of Hit Dice equal to 1/3 of your level (rounded down), adding your Constitution modifier to each Hit Dice, and regain a number of hit points equal to the total. These Hit Dice are considered "free" and are not expended. You may expend additional Hit Dice after they are replenished by the long rest. You must meet the Healer's Kit Dependency requirement to expend Hit Dice.Slow Natural Healing (DMG p267)
If your campaign uses the optional feat rules fram chapter 5, your Dungeon Master might allow these variant traits, all of which replace the human's Ability Score Increase trait. Ability Score Increase: Two different ability scores of your choice increase by l.
Skills. You gain proficiency in one skill of your choice.
Feat. You gain one feat of your choice.
Variant Human Traits (PHB p31)

Last edited by Giot; 09-10-2016 at 03:33 AM.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:31 PM
For the Glory of Tiamat!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5542
Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot
Quote:
Originally Posted by arin12 View Post
You've all, at this point, experienced combat the "traditional" way - people going in order of initiative. And every single one of you, at one point or another, has been online and ready to post when it's not your turn and had to simply refrain from posting. Sucks, doesn't it? And it slows things down. Sometimes a LOT. Hypothetically, if the posting frequency is 1/2days, with a group of 8 people, and everyone checks the forum once every two days only five minutes before the person ahead of them actually posts, a single round of combat can take more than two weeks to resolve. That's an extreme worst case scenario, of course, reality would probably be somewhere around six days. Per round. A single combat could be a month.

How do DMs combat this? The plurality of them don't. Cost of doing business, and that's that. And it's hard to blame them, because the second most popular option - having all the enemies automatically use the "delay" option so that they're all moving together, and simply treating initiative by the side instead of by the individual, is wrought with it's own problems. When you let the players decide to all go in one clump, too often people hold back on purpose; "I want to see if Garth's magic missile kills creature A before I decide to attack A or B" for example. Not an invalid tactic, that's what the Delay action in the game is for, but if Shadowmaim is thinking, "I want to see what the others do before I cast my spell" then everyone's waiting for everyone and nobody's actually posting. Plus of course, it's not like anyone's going to see the results of the magic missile until the enemys' turn, because none of your attacks resolve until the DM posts again.

So what's my solution? Simple - The Fog of War.

When combat initiates, I close the scene's thread, and unhide a "Post Your Intentions" thread reserved for combat situations. In secret text, each of you posts your combat intentions as normal, with contingencies if desired (more on that in a second). You include your post with dialogue, motions, anything you like, same as you would if you were posting it to the thread. You include an initiative roll, because you're rolling initiative every round.

I compile all the information and the results, and I make a single "round description" post in the closed thread to describe the action. I will include as much of your posts as is usable, cut-and-paste style, in the proper place where they go in the initiative order.

The Benefits:
  • Combat seems more chaotic, everyone acting all the time and massive, rapid changes on the battlefield - just like combat should be!
  • Re-reading the combat is a lot easier.
  • No need to worry about when it's your turn to post - you can throw your combat moves into the thread at any point!
  • Strategy and tactics, and group pre-planning, become a lot more important.

The Drawbacks (and how to counter them):
  • What if someone moves? - This would seem to be the obvious problem. If you declare that you're going from, say, D4 to D7 to swing at a target located at D8, but your target went first and moved from D8 to E3, are you going to still move to a random square and swing at nothing? That makes no sense, right?

That's where contingency statements come in. Your post doesn't read, "I move from D4 to D7 and swing at the guy at D8 (obviously with more descriptiveness)." Your post instead reads, "I move to swing at Target X, taking the path from D4->D5->D6->D7 or, if the target moves, I follow as best I can. If the target is dead, I instead target Target Y."

Or of course, if you're concerned about exactly where you're stepping (remember that minefield?), you can elect to say, "If the target moves, I do NOT follow him, instead readying an action to attack whoever approaches me next."

There are, of course, going to be standard assumptions that I make unless you all tell me otherwise, and we'll establish what they are together and post them before the PvP combat (actually,change of plans - I'm going to make this it's own thread, so we can talk about it now).

• How is a delay/ready action handled if I can't see what's going on in "real time"? - simple, if you choose to delay, you skip your turn, and you get +20 to your initiative check on the following round. This perfectly represents what a delay should do - give you that extra moment to gather yourself and take advantage of your insight to act at the proper time.

Readied actions are still handled normally.

• You can see all our secret posts, doesn't that mean you'll inherently wind up moving your NPCs with more up-to-date information? Doesn't that constitute an unfair advantage? - A valid concern. To mitigate it, I post all NPC intentions and rolls immediately after making a combat round post. This allows me to not fear being influenced by your decisions, because mine were already made.

• Won't your NPCs fight more coordinated? You're one mind, so all your people get to know what each other are doing whereas we can't see each other. - This isn't really a new concern, even in a regular D&D game that can be a huge issue. The answer lies in my reminding myself that even combat is roleplaying, and each non player character should react to a situation the way that makes sense to their personality. Part of creating them was deciding on their relationships to each other, whether they had planned together what they'd do in a fight, how long they've been fighting together, and so on and so forth. Some of them will work like a well-oiled machine, and others will stumble and trip all over each other. It will be as the story, and the challenge, says it should be.

All I'm going to remind you of is that, once the gloves are off, running away is always a valid strategy. Never forget that, because there WILL be times when the combat isn't "fair" and you're probably in over your heads. Life does that sometimes, and RPGs are about simulating fictional lives.

So that's it in a nutshell. All I ask is that you try it for the PvP and the first two "real" combats. I'll open the floor to feedback at that point, and if you all absolutely HATE it at that point, we can discuss alternatives.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:54 PM
For the Glory of Tiamat!

Tools
User Statistics
On Passive Perception/Investigation and Traps1) For any opposed roll, your passive perception will be the DC, BUT monsters and such can gain advantage/increase their stealth bonus if they know you are coming. I.e. if you engage in combat with some orcs and one of them runs off to warn the others, unless you stop him from getting away to warn them then they will be prepared for you. Or if you are just generally being loud enough for the monsters to pick up on a group of adventurers entering their domain, they will prepair.

2) For traps and such, your passive perception can overcome the search DC of the trap IFF (if and only if) the group is moving and the person doing the searching is in the front of the group (i.e. if the rogue is not at the head of the marching order, they can't passively see the tripwire that the bulky paladin is blocking their view of, but the paladin might see it!) OR the group is not moving and the person doing the searching states their action in a relatively clear way. So this means that if the party is walking down a hallway, only those with unobstructed views can have their passive perception active to see anything ahead of them. Alternatively, if the party has stopped in a room and everyone is doing their own thing, then if someone says "I look at the X", that will invoke their passive perception. They could also roll active perception if so desired on that same object (passive perception is basically just the equivalent of 3.5e's taking 10). Say the trap DC is 17 and your passive perception is 16, if you say you look at the floor, I may say "there are signs that some of the rocks have been disturbed lately" then you could roll an active check. Or you could poke around with a 10' pole (did any of you bring a 10' pole???) and likely trigger any pressure plates/trip wires in the area.

2') For traps and such, your passive perception can overcome the search DC of the trap automatically. Upon entering the room the character with the highest PP will automatically identify all traps IF the party is not engaged in an activity that would preclude the use of a passive check (such as combat). If a trap's DC is higher than the highest passive perception, then it is entirely possible the group will fall victim to the trap. I will try to give verbal hints and may ask for active perception rolls even if unprompted.

3) For using the help action with perception/investigation. Most of what I read online said, at least for perception, that it shouldn't be allowed because you can't help someone to see or hear better (or at least see something or hear something the person helping didn't see or hear themselves). I mostly agree with this, but certainly can see some counter points to it. So this is how I am going to play it. If you want to assist someone with perception or investigation, you roll an active check. If your check beats a DC that I determine (which will probably be a little lower than the true DC.. somewhere between 50% to 100% of the true DC) then you can provide the help bonus (advantage on an active check*). I won't allow assistance on passive checks... I don't really see how you can help someone passively see something, as soon as you have helped them it becomes active.

*If both rolls on the active check are less than the roll for the help action, the player uses the help roll as their base instead. (i.e. to help the rogue, the paladin rolls a 1d20+3 against a DC 13 and gets a 15 (12+3), the rogue then rolls with advantage, but only rolls a 4 and an 8, they may then use the paladin's 12 as their base and add any additional bonuses on top of that). This gives a relatively high level of advantage, but if you are expending this much trouble trying to find something you really should be given this much advantage.

Last edited by Giot; 06-20-2016 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:36 AM
For the Glory of Tiamat!

Tools
User Statistics
Rules for Leveling UpAt all levels, when you level up, you immediately gain the hitpoints associated with the next level. For example, if you were at 5/8 hp and you level up, gaining 5 maximum hitpoints, you are now at 10/13.

From levels 1-4, when you level up, you immediately gain access to all new class features. You do not refresh any abilities that require a short or long rest, however if you gain access to abilities with this requirement, or gain an additional usage, you gain access to that ability or usage immediately. For example, if you could do something 1/long rest and had previously used it (having no current usages available) and level up to a level that gives you 2/long rest, you now currently have 1 available usage.

From levels 1-4, new spell slots become available for use immediately, but new spells do not until you meet the prerequisit for refreshing them. For example a wizard would have to finish a long rest in order to add any spells to their spells prepared list. If a wizard gains a new spell slot level, that spell slot is available and can be used for any spell currently prepared.

Level 5-20, when you level up, you do not gain access to any new class abilities until after a long rest.
Closed Thread