Notices

Old 09-26-2016, 12:45 PM
For the Glory of Tiamat!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5442
Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot
The Sunless Citadel - Act 2

The inhabitants of the stockade had heard the fight between the party and the goblins over an hour ago. Ever since, they had become restless and fearful of what that meant for them. None of them had eaten in the past few days, and they were all suffering from varying degrees of dehydration. They had been kept in complete darkness, only allowed light when the goblins brought them food. The humanoids were treated carefully and cruelly. Even though they were unarmed, the goblins knew that any one of them might be able to escape using magic. While they were being fed, the goblins had kept them bound in their cages, only allowing them a respite from their gag in order to eat and drink before carefully replacing the cloth in each of their mouths. The humanoids had been fed one at a time, and each with several spears pointed at them should they attempt an escape. None of them had, though they were getting desperate as the goblins had seemed to forget about them, and the pains of hunger and thirst were beginning to overwhelm their minds.

Kalvin, Zintara, and Libitia open the door and peer into the room beyond. The light from Libitia's staff casts long shadows within the black room, but the three can make out what clearly appears to be a stockade holding several creatures. Three kobolds are chained to the north wall, their arms bound to the wall allowing them enough room to sit against the wall or stand but not much else, and there are several additional spots where more creatures could be kept. One such spot in the far west of the line contains a skeleton of a kobold, still manacled to the wall. Three larger humanoids are locked in cages against the south wall, and appear to be bound. All of the prisoners have a cloth gag tied around their mouths. The western portion of the room is largely empty, though it looks like there may have been additional cages installed there at some point.

OODMEach of the prisoner PCs have been given a brief back story to tie them in, and you may share as you see fit. Zintara can pick all of the locks, given a few moments each. The cages prove a little more difficult, but the locks are rather crude.

All of the PCs are at full health, but they are wearing only the cloths they were captured in. Any armor, weapons, or other gear they had was taken by the goblins some time ago. Each will need food and water before regaining enough strength to continue adventuring, though any type of rest will not be needed, as they have been stuck in their current predicament for quite some time.

The current time of day is likely unknown to any of you, though the three adventurers rescuing the prisoners had stopped for a mid day break immediately before entering the stockade.

Welcome to the Sunless Citadel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fortress level map copy.png
Views:	41
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	70391   Click image for larger version

Name:	Round 1 copy.png
Views:	40
Size:	410.9 KB
ID:	70392  

Last edited by Giot; 09-26-2016 at 05:54 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:40 PM
Airship Pirate

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6820
LupusRegalis LupusRegalis LupusRegalis LupusRegalis LupusRegalis LupusRegalis LupusRegalis LupusRegalis LupusRegalis LupusRegalis LupusRegalis
Solavain blinks his eyes rapidly to clear out the sudden tears and light-blindness that the unexpected glare caused in his dark-weakened eyes. He'd lain on his side earlier, though how long ago he wasn't sure of, to shift from the uncomfortable position leaning against the cage had become. He was hungrier than he'd ever been in his long life, and thought he might be dieing of thirst, as well. It'd been at least a day and half since he'd last been fed, probably longer though given his hazy memory. He was growing desperate, but couldn't manage to loosen his bonds. Even the gag was extremely tight, and he could feel the sores starting at his mouth corners.

Raising himself up, his eyes beginning to clear as his natural vision finally had some light to see by, he threw himself against the front of the cage. The figures were too large, even seeing just shadowy outlines, to be Kobolds. He felt a desperate, exciting hope welling up inside his chest that they might be rescuers. With his last ounces of dwindling strength he tossed up against the cage and made the loudest "OOMPFF" noises possible through the dirty gag.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:49 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3655
anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac
Awake, alone in the darkness. Who knew how long she'd been here. Sleeping had been a relief, but it was getting increasingly harder to fall asleep... the thirst was keeping her awake. She'd never been this thirsty before. This was truly the worst possible way to die. For the umpteenth time she wished she didn't have the gag in her mouth... she couldn't even complain! She couldn't cry for thirst. She couldn't express herself through her face, or watch the other prisoners, as it was dark. The indignity could not be expressed.

Then the door was open, just a crack, but it flooded the pitch black room with light. Water! The goblins were here, and she let hope take her. Holding her arm in front of her face, her eyes slowly adjust to the brightness. The heads peering through the doorway were strange. Goblins weren't so tall, were they?

Last edited by anamiac; 09-26-2016 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:02 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 883
Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66
"Sune preserve us!" Libitia exclaimed with shock as her staff-light revealed the faces of the various prisoners currently being held in this stockade. The aasimar wasted no time in shoving the door fully open and striding purposefully into the room, sweeping her gaze throughout. The prisoners would see that Libitia appeared to be a pallor-skinned, kimono-clad, young human woman at first glance, but in truth possessed a sort of celestial radiance as they looked more closely, clearly possessing a greater physical beauty than what could be attained by the average human, as evidenced by the luster of her hair, and her piercing deep-blue eyes.

"Gods...how long have these people been imprisoned down here!?" she continued exclaiming, before turning back to the door. "Zin! Can you help get these cells open? They look like they're ready to collapse any moment!"

Last edited by Clockwerk66; 09-27-2016 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:59 PM
Abysswalker

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 611
Drakeblade Drakeblade Drakeblade Drakeblade Drakeblade Drakeblade
Stop being so scared, it wouldn't hurt that much. And that's why you have an extra one. Zinder thought to himself. Staring down at floor toward his left leg. It had gone numb earlier that day and never quite regained feeling. He couldn't remember the which day it was, as he wasn't sure how long he had been unconscious. Only that it was at least the third or fourth day without food. He had slipped in and out of consciousness at least a dozen times. Either due to his head wound, which had a trail of now crusted blood down the side of his torso, or from boredom. Both were surely killing him. His body hung limply forward, legs having slid partially out behind him. Zinder looked as if he was falling toward the floor. Arms spread out to either side, and while to most it probably would of been a painfully unbearable position. He however was just glad he could still feel pain in his arms.

He continued staring down at his left leg as it lay limply below him.

Sailors, he wondered if any of those human's he had seen with peg legs had eaten their own for survival out at sea. Surely at least one of them had. It made them look tough. So why couldn't I? Mentally continuing to prepare himself, though he knew that getting past the cloth gag was a fruitless effort. Having already tried to gnaw at it for hours.

A sudden brilliant light pierced the room, he made an attempt to see past the other kobold next to him. Whom now inconsiderately blocked his immediate vision of the door. With a tug on his left forearm he adjusted himself, and for a second could see the figure outlined by a sorcerer's light.

However the moment passed and his unresponsive left leg gave out as he shift positions. Face finding a new purchase to stare at the new arrivals from the floor. A conglomerate of dirt and his own blood. However he could see the doorway. Not a single goblin among them... I am free!

Last edited by Drakeblade; 09-27-2016 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Phones, always a bad idea to post from.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:13 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 196
Mystic Artest Mystic Artest
'Curiosity killed the cat' was an expression that Lobelia hated. If anything, curiosity is what sustained her as a person. But now, ever more she thought of that phrase as she lay slumped against the wall of the cage. Her curiosity had landed her here in this cell, and now she found little solace asking herself questions. She could only guess so many times at what type of iron the cage was made of, or what the goblins did to the water to make it taste so unnaturally rank. More and more it felt as though her active thoughts were more hindrance than comfort, especially when she considered the questions that weighed heaviest on her heart.

I wonder how long my body can last...how much longer will it take...? She closed her eyes as she felt the pain of her empty stomach, the searing dryness of her tongue and throat. Even her measurement of time had been tied to appearance of her captors when it was time for them to keep their prisoners alive. Now that they had stopped coming, the biggest and most pervasive question was the one of how much time would pass before Lobelia would die...

As the door burst open and a blinding pillar of light issued from it, Lobelia's mind stopped, frozen in that moment of time. As her eyes became accustomed to the new light and she saw not goblins, but rather people, all of a sudden an entirely new slew of questions began buzzing in her head as tears began to fall from her face.

Old 09-28-2016, 12:05 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 946
EttinWill EttinWill EttinWill EttinWill EttinWill EttinWill EttinWill EttinWill
left-aligned image
At Libitiaís gasp and urgent request, Zintara strides quickly into the dim room. By the light of the aasimarís staff, Zintara squints into each of the eyes. "Well, I can get these elves out," the rogue says shrewdly. "They might actually be members of that other party of dungeon delvers who preceded us. But Libby, you sure you want me to open those?" she nods toward the kobolds. "I know we lost Meeps back there but Iím not particularly excited to acquire a few more dragonspawn pets."

With that, the human arches her back in a stretch and strolls over to the cages on the south wall, unlocking each in turn. With an abrupt but not overly harsh manner, the rogue then unbinds and ungags the two elves and the half-elf. "There you go. You look half-starved. I have some rations and a waterskin. But first: who are you? Why were you here? And what do you know about these other wretches on the wall?"

Zintara reaches into her pack and draws out some jerky and her canteen, offering them to the two females and the male.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:32 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3655
anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac
"Thank you!" The tall elf reaches eagerly for the canteen, holding it in trembling arms as she attempts to drink If you don't take it away from her, she'll drink the entire canteen.as much as possible. Once done, she finds it easier to talk. "Thank you! I'm Miabeth Caldwell. I was traveling to Oakhurst alone, but the goblins ambushed me and brought me here. I don't know the others -- I was gagged the entire time." She makes an effort to wipe the dust off her clothes clean up a little bit.

Now that her thirst was mostly sated, she began to realize that she hadn't eaten in days. Weeks maybe. Gods, it felt like months!

Last edited by anamiac; 09-28-2016 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:42 PM
Airship Pirate

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6820
LupusRegalis LupusRegalis LupusRegalis LupusRegalis LupusRegalis LupusRegalis LupusRegalis LupusRegalis LupusRegalis LupusRegalis LupusRegalis
"I'm Solavain," he answered the woman responsible for freeing him, as he rubs circulation back into limbs and stiffly left the cage as quickly as possible. While he waited, desperately, for the offered food and water he added what little information he could to the other Elf's, Miabeth he heard her say, own. "I don't know these others, but the Half-Elf and Kobolds were already here when I was thrown in."

Shaking his head in both weariness and shame, he admitted he'd not been too bright himself when he'd been captured. Though he kept some back, not knowing either his rescuers or those detained alongside him well at all. "Curiosity saw me caught. Thought I'd see for myself what all the yok... Locals, were gossiping about. Ended up spending the night in an old, unused farmstead in Oakhurst's outlying area. Goblins caught me napping, and next thing I know I'm in this foul circumstance!"
Old 09-28-2016, 04:16 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66
Quote:
Originally Posted by EttinWill View Post
"Well, I can get these elves out," the rogue says shrewdly. "They might actually be members of that other party of dungeon delvers who preceded us. But Libby, you sure you want me to open those?" she nods toward the kobolds. "I know we lost Meeps back there but Iím not particularly excited to acquire a few more dragonspawn pets."
"We're still on speaking terms with the kobolds here" Libitia replied, just as Zintara started moving to unlock the cells. "If we free these kobolds and bring them back to Yusdrayl, then hopefully it will stay that way, even if we can't bring back the dragon."

In response to Miabeth Caldwell's story, the aasimar sympathetically wrapped the elf in a quick hug. "Oh you poor thing!" she cooed warmly, before letting go and looking right at her. "I'm so glad to find more friendly faces in this dark place. We had others with us, but I fear they fell behind. I can't imagine what it must be like to be confined against your will, without even anything to eat!"
Old 09-29-2016, 10:53 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 196
Mystic Artest Mystic Artest
"My name is Lobelia..." Wearily standing up on shaky legs as soon as she was freed, Lobelia offered this introduction in reflex to being called 'the Half-Elf' by newly named Solavain. She knew he meant nothing by it--merely calling her what she was in place of a name he didn't know--but the perfunctory nature of the title reminded her all too much of her unpleasant childhood, and she was quick to remedy the situation. After waiting patiently for her turn at the water, she added her own statement to her fellow prisoners'.

"I'm not sure how long I've been down here anymore... But I've been imprisoned the longest, I think. As for them," Lobelia indicated the kobolds along the wall with a tilt of her head, "They've been kept coming and going by our captors. If I had to hazard a guess, mayhap those goblins were conducting some sort of experiments... Maybe that's why we were kept just barely alive as well..." Lobelia closed her eyes, smiling somewhat bitterly in spite of herself. Even in this situation she couldn't help but analyze and question her circumstances. Looking back up at her rescuers she smiled sheepishly.

"Ah, sorry. Forgive my morbid hypothesizing. Force of habit, I'm afraid."
Old 09-29-2016, 12:16 PM
For the Glory of Tiamat!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5442
Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot Giot
The kobolds, still chained to the wall, initially reacted with a measure of indifference to the group. However once it became clear that the elves were being rescued, they began to struggle against their own restraints and gags, eyes wide with a crazed pleading.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:21 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
left-aligned image
Zintara nods her head in agreement with Libitia. "Youíre right. Thereís no way we are bringing that dragon back now. To be honest, I think we would be doing Oakhurst and the surrounding villages a favor by putting that beast down. The way it spoke...I have a feeling if we leave it alone it is only a matter of time before it becomes powerful enough to attack innocent settlements for slaves, gold, or food."

The rogue looks again dubiously at the struggling kobolds. "If we do let them out, do you really think any of them are going to let us kill their god-dragon, Libby? If we do what must be done I doubt if any of the kobold clan will look favorably on us after that."

Turning to Lobelia, Zintara then asks roughly, "You been here the longest, you say? Any idea where the goblins might be keeping your gear and supplies?"
Old 09-29-2016, 02:44 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Hearing Lobelia's account if her even longer imprisonment prompted a very concerned Libitia to rush over and give the half-elf a warm, sympathetic hug as well, offering her condolences.

Noticing the desperate-looking kobolds still locked in their cell in the middle of her hug, the aasimar gave a very serious look to Zintara, and motioned her head towards the cell in question giving a very unsubtle hint that she would like the rogue to set them free as well.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:56 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
left-aligned image
Zintara laughs out loud at Libitiaís not so subtle request. "Alright, Libby. You asked for it." The rogue then ungags the kobolds and unlocks their cage.

Zintara slowly backs up toward the door and readies her crossbow, keeping her eyes fixed on the kobolds.