RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 06-03-2020, 10:17 AM
Nosferatu

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7400
Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven
To the Depths of Hel

CLOSED

Game Name
left-aligned image

To the Depths of Hel

This is a Game in progress, and I am currently recruiting 4-6 players to fill the roster of the game back up. The main adventure is about to start.

Warning: This is an adult rated game, and it will be heavy on the Horror end at times with graphic descriptions and hard choices to be made.

Game System
DnD 5e

Theme
Dark Adventure Into the Depths of the Unknown

Flavour
Adventure Horror

Adventure Background
left-aligned image

Deep in the pits of Hel to the north, a great darkness stirs. A horrible, slumbering presence lays waiting beneath the crown of the world. It calls to those who listen. It calls to the godless and the forsaken, the lost and the damned. Its call can be heard around this world and many others by the desperate and insane. It calls, and many have answered the call.

The Drums of war beat in the far North as forces of darkness and light clash over the slumbering madness in the depths. The followers of the Blind Dragon have rallied, their Draconic forms called to the North to find their greatest treasure, while the spawns of darkness writhe and squirm from Hel itself. They worm their wretched way through the dark places in the world, seeking for that which can deliver their species from darkness and into the light they crave so much. Their tendrils run deep through the crevices and unhallowed halls of the dark, their slaving caravans take from all races of all areas in the world, disappearances have been noted in nearly every kingdom on every continent. At the same time, an alien presence comes from a plane unknown. Their defeat on their world could be turned into a victory if the call they heard in the north can be believed. With nothing left to lose, they commit the last of their resources to saving their kingdom and reclaiming a world rightfully theirs by delving into the depths to find that which has promised them victory. The last of the Northern Dwarves seek to reclaim their empire and purge their lands of the dark invaders that have assaulted it. But with only one Thaig left, and a fortress of allies above, they fear it is only a matter of time before attacks from above and below bring the last Thaig of their kingdom into ruin.

You all arrive for different reasons to the last great Thaig of the North, travelling with the expedition from Mithril hall or otherwise. You're battered, freezing, and mentally drained from the constant mental assaults that were only slightly mitigated by Celene, the Illithid trained Telepath in the expedition. Your minds were assaulted and nightmares of horrors beyond counting were imparted upon you every time you closed your eyes. All you had to do was give in and serve, and the pain would end. But did you give in? Did you surrender to the call and heed it, or did you stay strong and fight the impending doom that hangs heavy over your heads. Will you fight the call of the unfathomable, or will you succumb to it's temptations of power and glory, and help it escape it's eternal prison to wreak a terrible vengeance on those that have wronged it? These are the questions you ask yourself as you arrive at the gates of the fortress, only to see a great red dragon plummeting to the earth before you, with a black metal bolt that seems to eat magic, extending from it's chest. What will you do now... Heroes...

The Story So Far
right-aligned image

Our courageous adventurers have made it to their first main goal. They began by joining a great Dwarven Expedition into the unknown north, led by the greybeard cleric, Javik Hammerhands. This expedition was levied in Mithril hall, and has recruited new members from there, to Neverwinter, then through Luskan, Icewindale, the Land of the Giants, the Ice Dwarf Kingdom, and finally to the Great Glacier and the lost Thaigs. They braved ambushes and vampires through the horror filled streets of Luskan, only to come face to face with a cult of the unspeakable gods. They butchered the cult and were able to subdue the champion of the gods, carrying him in a soul jar until they can properly kill the creature through a ritual of destruction that must be done in from the top of a volcano. From there they traveled through Icewindale, where they recovered from the last encounter and prepared for the journey ahead. They encountered a war between giants, and avoided the grand battle by a hairsbreadth, having to slay some scouting parties and losing their own scout in the process. From the Land of the giants, they went through the land of the Leviathans, where the Ice Dwarves safeguard the southlands from creatures beyond measure, holding great hunts whenever a creature appears from the endless abyss. Their capital fortress was built in the frozen husk of a felled Leviathan, though it still lived and provided the heat that kept the temperature in the fortress steady. At long last, they made it to their destination, arriving at the lost Thaig in the far north, seeing an attack by dragons against it, with one being shot down by great Ballista mounted upon the mountain peak, the fortress far above in the clouds holding out against the Draconic menace.

GM Style

To the Depths of Hel will be a 5E dungeon for 16th level characters with orcs and goblins and dragons oh my. The difficulty will be gauged high, and there will be roughly 70/30 combat to rp based on how the group goes about things. That is my anticipation, not what is for sure going to happen. I run a pretty open ended GM style and encourage out of the box thinking. There will always be multiple ways to approach things, but angles must be closely examined and options must be carefully considered. Mistakes will be punished, and poor strategies will be severely punished. I do not mean I am going to go out of my way to do so, but the way I design dungeons causes them to have a cascading difficulty should you make serious mistakes or go into a situation with a run and gun mentality. You have been warned.

There are no alignment restrictions, but you will need to be able to work with a group *cough CE cough*. If you can make a CE character that will, then go for it. I advise against flying creatures, partially due to the high likelihood of lots of underground adventuring, and partially because the skies will not be safe. I will not deny any characters based on the danger to yourself, just keep in mind that your choices will have consequences. PVP is not banned, do so at your own risk.

Posting Rate and Absence

I can post daily, but would like to have a main gm post up 2 times a week at the minimum during combat and 1 time a week minimum out of combat. As this will be combat heavy, I want to be able to keep combat moving. I will try to get main posts up on Monday(Eastern us time) for sure, and the second post whenever everyone else posts. I rarely post on weekends. If I do not get a post from you after my Monday post, I will NPC you on the next Monday post making only one gm post during that week. Afterwords I will be posting twice as usual, npcing you as needed. Please inform us if you are going to be away for a period of time and give me a brief idea of how you want your character npc'd while you are gone and I will see it done. If you decide to quit, your character will become a permanent NPC with the party until your slot is replaced. Exceptions to my Monday Post: If there is a US holiday on Monday, I may not be able to make my GM post until Tuesday or Wednesday(depending on the holiday) because I will be out of town or otherwise unavailable. I will not expect 2 rounds per week in that situation and will try to notify everyone of the holiday for those of you not in the US so you know it is a one post required week instead of two(again for combat situations).

If everyone is posting daily or something, I will increase GM post rate accordingly.

Character Creation

This dungeon will take place in the far north in the Endless Sea of Ice. Character backgrounds need to tie into why you have traveled with a Dwarven Expedition to reclaim a lost Kingdom in the north. Each character joining will have been promised a monthly stipend and a share of the findings in the lost Thaigs. Alternatively, you can be already in the north, but I will need a decent reason as to why you are in the north, with the last standing Dwarven Thaig. Looking for solid backgrounds with a good tie in.

Character Creation: 32 point buy, stat increases can be replaced with feats per normal rules. Any non 3rd party 5E material is allowed.

Characters: Starting level 16 starting gold: 16000(1000/level) This can be spent using the sane magical item price PDF free online.

Sample:

Name:
Race:
Alignment:
Class:
God:
Description:
Personality:
Background:
Writing Sample: (optional)

Q&A

Is artificer allowed? - All 5e material is allowed provided it is not third party, including play testing material. Third party is by approval only.

To Those Who are About to Die, I Salute Thee!

Current Apps
User NameClassRaceStatus
DialPforpicklesMookChampionFighter(14)/Barb(2)Half-OrcReviewed(incomplete)
Seekr34Gauther ThuliagaChampionFighter(16)GoliathComplete(Reviewed)
SaratekTitanEcho KnightFighter(4) ArcaneCleric(12)WarforgedComplete(Reviewed)
Hal HammerhandRaxton GaulHunterRanger(15)HumanWithdrawn
JaredSYNNemeiaPact of the ChainWarlock(16)TieflingComplete(Reviewed)
TouketsuFaustArmorerArtificer(16)TieflingComplete(Reviewed)
BuzzlitebeerTulwar FathomwatchAwakenedMystic(16)Deep GnomeComplete(Reviewed)
LevistusCerelothFiendish Pact of the TomeWarlock(16)HumanWithdrawn
HirumaTarren StoneheartAstralMonk(16)Hill DwarfWithdrawn
MarscomulusTheres RanulfScoutRogue(8)/ChampionFighter(8)VarientHumanComplete(Reviewed)
StarflierTola FarrowWild MagicSorcerer(16)Half OrcComplete(Reviewed)
juikejSigius JadestriderTransmutationWizard(16)Sun ElfComplete(Reviewed)
TrmmilwwiYelgeiros??Wizard(16)ElfComplete(Reviewed)

Last edited by Unforgiven; 06-24-2020 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:16 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 374
Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand
I am interested but I have never played a character at a level even close to 16.

I get the feeling that there are other players?
Old 06-03-2020, 09:17 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1676
DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles DialPforPickles
Mook

Name: Mook
Race: Half-Orc
Alignment: CG
Class: Fighter (champion) 14/Barb 2
God: Kord

Description: Mook is the twinkle in your eye when a pretty girl smiles at you behind her boyfriend’s back. Mook is the smirk you hide when you know you’re about to win a fight, but your opponent still thinks they stand a chance. Mook is the twitch in your jaw when there’s nothing left in the fight but to lose, and you keep fighting anyway because you’re too stubborn to change your mind.

Background: Mook’s upbringing was similar to most half-orcs in the wilderness. He wasn’t the son of an ogre chieftain or a forest witch, and there were no strange prophecies uttered in the gathering darkness on the day he was born. He was tall, for a half-orc, to be sure, and his hair was a bit wavy in the back. And he was pretty fast.

Enough so that his parents could tell him apart from the other half-orc kids at a distance, but that’s pretty much it. He never communed with the spirits of bears or dreamed he had a dragon’s face, or anything out of the ordinary. He never even met a strange traveler on the road.

In fact, the only thing that really set him apart from his peers was that he just seemed to enjoy fighting more than anyone else did. A lot more. When other people get winded, or start wincing at their skinned knuckles, or start noticing they’re hopelessly outnumbered, Mook just keeps smiling and keeps beating sense into things until things start making sense.

Personality: Mook is not a complicated person--above all else, he likes simplicity. He bores easily (and vocally) in situations that require him to wrestle with nuances of morality. He likes helping people, and he likes a good cause, but he needs an objective. Sometimes that objective is to drink and lech, sometimes it's to clear out a warren of were-rats from an abandoned mine, sometimes it's to hunt down the person who gave him the last objective because they lied about what was happening and made him hurt some folks who didn't deserve it. He's not picky about payment.

He speaks in a low-register, gravelly monotone when gesturing, grunting, hitting, and shrugging can't fully communicate his intention.

Writing Sample:

The old man in the cloak was running late, but no more so than usual. Mook didn't mind--he had habits of his own. Specifically, he never met the old man in the cloak on nights he had better things to do or better places to be. The Thunderking Cauldron Inn had good food, strong ale, and pretty serving girls. Any one of those could occupy Mook's attention for days, if necessary.

Mook was wiping the heeltaps of his third ale off his beard and starting in on a hearty stew when a vaguely person-shaped bundle of road clothes sidled up to the bar beside him and flagged down a waitress.

"You're late."

"Yes, yes. Sorry and all that. Can't be helped, you know. Ran into a spot of bother back up the road a piece with a few people who, uh, shall we say got a bit. Um. Well. Shirty, I suppose one might say. Nothing I couldn't handle, of course, never a bad idea to look helpless and have a few Fireballs at hand, eh? Ha ha! Oh, me. Though now that I think about it, I'm not entirely sure they were 'people', after all, you know I couldn't see any of their faces, and they each bore a very strange uh. Right."

He looked over at Mook, who was now slugging his way through his forth ale at a rapid pace. He craned his thick neck to drain it, and then winked at the waitress as she plunked another tankard down for him, along with a bowl of stew and a pint for the old man.

"You, uh. Mm. You're not listening at all, are you?"

"Nah."

"Hmm. Fair enough. Anyway, the news I have will be well worth your wait, I think. I have confirmed several rumors of a great deal of unrest, you know. Might be a good opportunity for you to ply your trade as they'll no doubt be needing a good deal of muscle to help out and won't really need anyone too ...

"BURRRRR-AAAHHHP. Whatsa job?" Flecks of foam erupted from Mook's mouth, along with bits of stew, and spattered on the bar.

The old man sighed as a wearied look stole across his face: "...diplomatic. They need someone to go fight something. Something big. Shall I make the normal arrangements, then?"

Mook gestured once more to the waitress: "Eat first. The dog and pony show'll keep 'til tomorrow."

He/Him

Last edited by DialPforPickles; 06-08-2020 at 07:52 PM. Reason: finishing up
Old 06-04-2020, 01:13 AM
Fledgling Space Ranger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 522
buzzlitebeer buzzlitebeer buzzlitebeer buzzlitebeer buzzlitebeer buzzlitebeer
Greetings! Is this game open to newbies? I'm not new to D&D 5th edition, though. Level 16 sounds high, but I play in a Level 10 campaign in real life.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:44 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2732
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Awesome! So tired of starting out at 1st to 5th level and then game dies. Be nice to actually play a high level character for once.
Old 06-04-2020, 02:24 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Name: Gauther Thuliaga
Race: Goliath
Alignment: NG
Class: Fighter: Champion
God: Kavaki, the Ram Lord
Description: He Stands at 8 feet tall, green eyes, shaved head. His skin is gray and his body looks like it has been carved from mountain stone, making him look like a walking mountain. Armed with a maul, bow, war hammer, and chainmail for armor, he looks like a force to be reckon with indeed.
right-aligned image

Personality: He gets along with everyone fairly well. If they can hold their own, they have his respect. He doesn't like weaklings and cowards. He was at first was disgusted with the rogues, but as he learned of their uses, he finally accepted them. He is pretty much like a common soldier at times, loves the tavern for their drink, food, women and a good old fashion brawl.

Backstory:

Background: Inheritor
Personality Trait: I judge people by their actions, not their words.
Ideal: There's no good in pretending to be something I'm not.
Bond: I wish my childhood sweetheart had come with me to pursue my destiny.
Flaw: I have a weakness for the vices of the city, especially hard drink.

Writing Sample:

Last edited by Seekr34; 06-11-2020 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:11 AM
Nosferatu

Tools
User Statistics
Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven
@hanmerhands: i currently have 2 players who are going to be doing mini quests and tieing up loose ends while i am recruiting. One of them is going to retire a character and make a new one. The rest of the group has dropped out due to various rl stuff going on, and i had to postpone the game for a time due to my own rl getting super busy and having a 1000 mile move and job change.

@buzzlitebeer: I am open to newbies, and the community this game is set in is super helpful. Being experienced in dnd will be the most help here, as it has been pretty difficult so far.

@seekr34: Yup, most of the games in our group are low level, im the first gm to venture into the high level stuff, but 5e is super simple, so it hasnt been bad to run. Not like it is 3.5 epic stuff, lol.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:59 AM
Emotionally void Runner

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1016
Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb
I might have to put an interest in to this one me thinks...I'll think up something.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:14 PM
Nosferatu

Tools
User Statistics
Sup Herb, long time no see!
Old 06-04-2020, 12:20 PM
Lost During Shipping

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12997
Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek
Titan
right-aligned image
Name: Titan
Race: Warforged
Alignment: LN
Class: Echo Knight Fighter(4)/Arcana Cleric(12)
God: 'Father' (Seldarine)
Description
Titan is a monstrosity. A being made of darkwood, mithril, and magic, the construct stands nearly seven feet tall, towering over many other races. While his shape may be humanoid, despite only having four toes, six fingers, and a jarring face that only grows more unsettling when his jaw wobbles up and down as he speaks with an inhuman voice, Titan has never been looked upon as something other than a wizard's tool by one man: his 'Father'. His emotionless face and glowing, orb-like blue eyes appear lifeless. Titan is unnerving to most intelligent beings, appearing as if he should be alive, but lacking all of the small mannerisms and ticks that life inevitably displays. He's like a walking, talking statue: something that shouldn't exist but does anyway.

Personality
Titan is still very much like a child in some ways. While his perception of the world has certainly expanded upon that from before his 'Father's' death and his subsequent magical exile, he never learned Orcish, so he never actually spoke much with the orcs. He just used more physical means of communication and correction. Pikes proved useful when all else failed. Titan sees the world as very morally gray. While he has an understanding of right and wrong, and often applies it in a very blanketed way, having lived as he has for the last stretch of time has left him with a very strong survival reaction.

While Titan can be called neither good nor evil, he is malleable, which can be useful to those, like the dwarves, who were looking for a good soldier. They, of course, didn't know all that Titan could do. The warforged is still trying to figure out where he stands in the world; if others will see him as a monster. He hopes not, but perhaps a cold, calculating, mechanical-sounding monster is exactly what the expedition needs. And maybe, just maybe, someone can bring some warmth to Titan's frozen fluids pump.

Background: Far Traveler (He's an Oddity)
Backstory

Last edited by Saratek; 06-24-2020 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:23 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
DM, in regards to magical items, you wrote "...magical item price PDF free online" Where do I find that? So I guess we don't bother with the starting equipment & such per level in the Dm guide?
Old 06-04-2020, 06:20 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 374
Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand

Last edited by Hal Hammerhand; 06-19-2020 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Anxiety
Old 06-04-2020, 07:25 PM
Nosferatu

Tools
User Statistics
@seekr: google search sane magical item prices pdf. Its a free suppliment that gives reasonable costs to magic items in the dmg
Old 06-04-2020, 09:02 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
@seekr: google search sane magical item prices pdf. Its a free suppliment that gives reasonable costs to magic items in the dmg
Ok cool, never knew about it. Thanks!
Old 06-04-2020, 09:09 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I see it's on reddit. Is that the only site? Yesterday & today, I've been having problems getting on reddit, tumblr, and twitter. No idea why, those sites just won't come up. Been fine until yesterday.