Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > The Library > RPGX Book Club
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Sep 20th, 2022, 12:21 PM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33516
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Hobbits soup! Yummy!
Old Sep 20th, 2022, 12:28 PM
#Bard4Life

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 30903
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk
bananabadger, Ildrahil is for sure the right person to ask, as I read the Silmarillion exactly once, and I was a teenager, and it was a labor (of love, but still, felt like work.) So dense and not really a lot of PLOT. But! I do remember Harfoots being talked about in "Concerning Hobbits." Which I read multiple times.

MEH now I am thinking of a swampy Elf Latte with whipped cream man-elf-hair peaks. BLERRRRGGGGG

A thing I love about Nori: she is NOT a reluctant hero. She is a little force. I like how she acts instead of reacting, decides things, and is a boundary pusher. Poppy, now, Poppy is reluctant all day.

Join RPGX Book Club
Current read: LotR Trilogy

Last edited by Fillyjonk; Sep 20th, 2022 at 12:28 PM.
Old Sep 20th, 2022, 05:01 PM
Gondolindrim

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7623
Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananabadger View Post
No need to apologize for your own likes or dislikes, MoonZar!
One can, objectively, find that those wicked, tricksey hobbitses aren't one's cup of tea!

I am curious to hear about the answer to your second question since I don't know it myself. Are the harfoots part of the Silmarillion?
Hey Badger,

I've read the Silmarillion more times than I care to admit. It's one of my favorite books...which makes me a nerd. I'm good with that. I love reading about history and the Silmarillion is definitely a history book. That said, it's been a minute since I read it and I don't have a copy to check to make sure what I'm about to write is 100% correct.

From what I remember, the only time the Professor talks about Hobbits is towards the very end of the book where he writes about the making of the Rings of Power and the Third Age. I don't think he mentions Hobbits until they get towards the end and writes about the finding of the One Ring...in the Third Age. Heck, if memory serves, I'm not even sure he calls them Hobbits, I think he calls them Periannath, which is what the Elves called Halflings. So yes and no. There are Halflings in the Silmarillion but only in the part about the Third Age and they aren't called Harfoots. The show is about the Second Age, so this Harfoot stuff is not canon, but it sure is fun and it could be canon because there is so little said about Hobbits.
Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 04:48 PM
Awopbopaloobopalopbamboom

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 49005
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Hobbits are back! Hooray!
Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 07:47 PM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
At least the hobbits part, is starting to turn into something darker.
Can't believe we only have three episodes left to close that arc.
Old Sep 24th, 2022, 11:53 AM
Zero Nonsense

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16065
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Regarding Mithril, I am a bit nerd-vous that they will unleash the Balrog too soon. Dwarves should mine mithril for a long time before everything goes south. Long enough to make a mithril chain shirt for Bilbo to one day be awarded from Smaug's hoard.

@Idrahil: I also read the Silmarilion more than once.

Anyway I don't mind the harfoots. If the stranger is supposed to be Gandalf it explains why he likes hobbits so much.

Last edited by Yoshimi; Sep 24th, 2022 at 12:11 PM.
Old Sep 24th, 2022, 09:18 PM
#Bard4Life

Tools
User Statistics
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk
EPISODE 4

Join RPGX Book Club
Old Sep 24th, 2022, 10:36 PM
Zero Nonsense

Tools
User Statistics
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi

Old Sep 24th, 2022, 10:41 PM
Zero Nonsense

Tools
User Statistics
Very funny radio interview clip with Tolkien, for those who have opined that the eagles should have just flown the hobbits to Mount Doom and saved a lot of hassle:

For his critics
Old Sep 24th, 2022, 11:23 PM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
Personally i hope its not Gandalf, i love the iconic character in LOTR, but i hope for something different this time.
Old Sep 24th, 2022, 11:24 PM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshimi View Post
Very funny radio interview clip with Tolkien, for those who have opined that the eagles should have just flown the hobbits to Mount Doom and saved a lot of hassle:

For his critics
I was thinking that for years lol...
Old Sep 25th, 2022, 10:26 AM
Gondolindrim

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7623
Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil

Old Sep 25th, 2022, 11:09 AM
Swords, not words!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 34171
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio
Does anyone have a suggestion for October?

Reading H.P. Lovecraft has been mentioned before… might be a good pick for October. And we could all choose a short story we haven’t read before. We could link discussion to the RPG (and spectate some Call of Cthulhu games here on RPGX) or even chat back to the HBO show Lovecraft Country (which isn’t going to get a second season, unfortunately).
Old Sep 25th, 2022, 11:52 AM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 35829
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Lovecraft has the advantage that his published writings are entirely in the public domain! I found a resource that compiled most (slash all?) of his published work into a single ebub/pdf.

Reading one story apiece is an interesting idea. We'd get a kind of database of reactions, and then presumably a collective discussion of meta-topics (the assumptions baked into his work due to his highly problematic personal views, the themes of his work, his influences and influence, maybe a perspective on how he developed as a writer, etc).

Mostly unrelated to any of the discussion here, but harkening back to our last discussion of a short story collection: after liking the Lord Dunsany piece we read ("How Nuth Would Have Worked His Art Upon the Gnoles"), a few weeks ago I tracked down and read a collection of his works ("The Book of Wonder") and I loved it just as much! A bunch of short, rich, fantastical, tropey, dark-humored tales.
Old Sep 25th, 2022, 01:05 PM
#Bard4Life

Tools
User Statistics
Ooooooooh. I LOVED How Nuth Would Have Worked His Art Upon the Gnoles

I like the idea of doing all the stuff Wyn just said, and then looking at a CoC game on the site and seeing how the themes and influences and tropes from the stories play out live. I have never played. Anyone in or know a good CoC game here that is open for spectating? It can be ongoing, complete, or unfinished...

Join RPGX Book Club