RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Oct 20th, 2011, 12:35 PM
TGWTWSA

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7727
Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas
That is a very interesting trap, what level would you propose it be for? The only problem would be on PbP the rest of the group couldn't move forward until the Time Lock trap misses, and if you have to wait for the player to re-perform the action and rolls saves I could see it getting held up. Otherwise I think I would most definately like to use it in a game.
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 03:00 PM
Silent, but Deadly
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5071
Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger
What I would do as a DM would be as soon as they say open the chest, the DM makes all the rolls until they make the save or fall unconscious. Then if they fall unconscious say "before Mr.Rogue can open the chest he falls unconscious to the floor" and secret text the player with what happened. If they make the save then "Mr.Rogue hesitates before opening the chest." and then secret the player what happened and the penalty imposed by the secondary afereffect. Would be interesting to see what the players would do, I think.
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 03:12 PM
TGWTWSA

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7727
Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas
I agree, it could work out well but I could see some players feeling hosed if something like 3 or 4 hits in a row got them without giving them a chance to react. That said, I think its a great idea and would likely go off without a hitch most of the time. Nicely done
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 10:16 PM
Silent, but Deadly
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger
I seem to remember mention of a chest found in the swamp, in an abandoned and ruined caravan. Statues of ugly bullywugs surrounded it. When opened, the wards petrified the offender. You could lay certain signs around this type of chest also, and if anyone checked for magic or traps they could discover it too, so there is ways of discovering the trap before it is set off. Also, anyone that triggers the trap and survives will eventually tell the others of his group what happened.
Old May 26th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Silent, but Deadly
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
Is it a game? Is it a creative cooperative work? It is more of a hybrid of the two. My goal for this game is to create a viable location that can be dropped into an adventure and make a suitable place for an adventurer to visit. Not necessarily for any of my games, but available for anyone to place into their game.

Here is the overview of the creative part of the game. I will create the general atmosphere of the location. From there, we will splinter the location into five areas. Then within these five areas, we will split into five rooms or locations of interest. Next step is to create some NPCs or people to populate or to be encountered at those places and then add some details upon those characters. I think of list of the following in order would look something like this:
1. Overall Location
2. Area
3. Place of Interest
4. NPC character/Appearance
5. NPC character/Personality
6. NPC character/Background

Now, on to the game aspect of this project. First off, when you contribute an element, you cannot then contribute an element directly within that element, at least until another element is added in between. For example, if you create one of the five areas as "a ship docked at a pier on the river", you could not right away make "a deck filled with many wondrous commodities" as one of the locations of interest within that area. But, if someone adds the location of interest "a pirate captain's cabin strewn with maps of buried treasure", the originator of the Area could contribute "a nervous and ill-kept cabin gnome with the twitching nose of a rat"

To create an element, describe it as if a PC was encountering it in a game. For our "ship docked at a pier on the river" example, you might describe it "The wooden ship has three very large masts that bounce in time to the waves lapping at its sides. The ship has the look as if it has been carefully and meticulously cared for, though the sails themselves seem rather neglected. The name on the side of the ship proclaims it's name as The Wandering Wench." When writing out your description of the element you are creating, do not try to include any of the elements underneath it. Don't do something like "The ship has a man standing at the gunnels, with a captains hat who loudly proclaims his name as Red Beard the Pirate."

...unfinished project I am working on...

Last edited by Silent Tiger; May 27th, 2012 at 05:40 AM.