Old 03-25-2020, 11:23 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 152
Arjent Arjent
Digital play newbie

Hi all,

The quarantine has driven me to finally search out a platform for gaming in my spare time. I started in 2nd Edition D&D and have played them all since then, but only face to face. I used to love writing short fiction and creating stories, so it will be fun to get back into that. Also looking for a way to play in short bursts to accommodate my life with family and hoping this is the ticket. Plus, listening to critical role just wasn't cutting it (and good heavens they are long!)

Arjent
Old 03-25-2020, 11:29 AM
Dim Henchmen of Pang!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12105
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
Welcome to the site, Arjent! I was going to make a joke about having argent hair, but since you started playing in 2E I feel like it might just be a mean jab instead of a silly pun. But we've got a fair number of folk who started with 2E on the site. A few of them even old enough to own pink or brown boxes from the original DnD!

I wasn't able to stomach Critical Role. Apparently it's very worth it! So the fan-base tells me. But they are so darned long. I can't put aside that much time and focus to them, unfortunately.

I think that this site might do well for you. Play by post is a bit slower than face-to-face gaming... well, a lot slower. But it gives a writing outlet, and I personally like it a bit better.

If you've got any questions, let us know! We're happy to help.

Last edited by Unko Talok; 03-25-2020 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:29 AM
hold onto that spark

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 26796
Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched
Welcome, Arjent! PBP is definitely a great format for both creative writing and accommodating the obstacles in life. The pacing can take some getting used to, but early on I tried to keep in mind that the slow pace gave me and others time to think about their posts, and for many of us enabled us to play at all. Most games here are long haul affairs, but they can be truly epic.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:41 AM
Wazdakka: King of Flames!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2707
Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers
Hello and welcome to the site
Old 03-25-2020, 12:51 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 26193
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Welcome to the club chummer!

Creative writing you say? Have you had a chance to check out the library yet? It's our dedicated creative writing wing filled with writing prompts, application feedback, and even a creative writing school for the more seasoned members.

Have any good stories to share? If you've been playing since 2e you must have a few good ones to pass along. Newbies always have the best stories.

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help you settle in!
Old 03-25-2020, 12:58 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 354
Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23
The great thing about PBP is that if you're pushed for time, you aren't on the spot to post, so can wait till you do have time. Also, if you have a few spare minutes and feel particularly creative, you can jot down a few things in a doc file and save them until you have enough time to write up a proper post.

Hope you have fun here! Try a solo game (just you and GM) to learn all the intricacies of the forum mechanics (and maybe a new game, depending on what you choose), at your own pace, while having fun. Score!
Old 03-25-2020, 01:45 PM
Dragon their feet

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1371
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Hi Arjent, there isn't much more that I can add to what's already been said. Feel free to ask anything, and have fun!

I've taken the Oath.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:00 PM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 62653
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Welcome!

Another older gamer, huzzah! I played 2nd edition too, when it was a new game, and like you, continued. This is a great place to hone your writing, and it is flexible for schedules, so I think you will like it.

Happy gaming!
Old 03-25-2020, 11:19 PM
Rancidly Strange

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 343
PHIL 490 PHIL 490 PHIL 490 PHIL 490
Welcome, I'm a 2e gamer too. Just started up a new one called Ravenloft: Mists of Devastation, in case you're interested. Thanks
Old 03-26-2020, 04:33 AM
breathsunflower450rainbow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22262
chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla
Goodmorning Arjent,

Welcome over here and you are not the only one looking for refuge over here and finding a place to roleplay while being in quarantine. Have you been cruising the site yet and found some interesting games recruiting?
Old 03-26-2020, 01:40 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 152
Arjent Arjent
Thanks, everyone. What a warm and welcoming community you have here!
I appreciate all the suggestions and guideposts to areas of the site; I'll check them out.