RPXP: 582
Beychaliban Beychaliban Beychaliban Beychaliban Beychaliban Beychaliban
War for the Crown AP

Game NameWar for the Crown AP
Game SystemPathfinder
ThemePolitics and intrigue in a proud and traditional nation
FlavourSurviving intrigues and fights and becoming famous as national heroes
Official Summary
As the entire capital city gathers to celebrate, conspiracy and stagnation rot the old empire of Taldor to its core! When a high-minded cabal of Senators and nobles try to steer their nation away from disaster, Emperor Stavian III himself orders a bloodbath in the Senate halls, trapping neophyte spies inside layer upon layer of magical security. As tensions rise and the emperor falls, can the heroes escape the forgotten halls beneath the Senate and save the heir to Taldor from an assassin’s blade? And even then, can anyone prevent a civil war that will tear the Inner Sea’s oldest nation apart at its rotting seams?

Taldor
left-aligned image

right-aligned image

Kingdoms rise and nations fall, but Taldor endures! The first empire of the Inner Sea remains a powerhouse even after five-thousand years, its vast lands rife with adventure and intrigue. Taldor is a land of contradictions, indescribable splendor and urban decay, saturated with history both fondly remembered and deliberately forgotten. Discover incredible wealth by plumbing the First Empire's storied past and battling its great threats, or meet terrible ruin on perfumed lips and heady wines.
Picture ancient Rome for all the good it brought to the people, for all the exploration it made, for the armies it had - and for the decline as it grew too big for its own good.

Who are you? (character)
You... are the agent of one of Taldors nobles. You work for Martella Lotheed, a Taldan of half-Qadiran descent, wanting to acquire her own place in the political minefield that is Taldor.
You may be a noble yourself, trying to get more influence or even a fief. A commoner in search of gold or fame. Even an „outsider“ who follows his own agenda, too.
You are, most likely, a human (or dwarf, half-elf or elf) since other races are considered untrustworthy or worse in Taldor. Though Martella herself doesn't mind much, it would make things more... lets say... interesting in this campaign.

OOC: I do prefer the characters to be the good guys in this AP. That doesn't translate into lawful stup- uhm good, but the ones at least trying to do a good thing. Very often it will be possible to solve a situation by other means than just combat. Enemies have family, too, and not everyone standing before you with a weapon in hand is eager to fight to his death or to fight at all.

BackgroundGrand Day of Exaltation!
left-aligned image

right-aligned image

One of the biggest annual festivities in Taldor, where a scommoner gets elevated to the ranks of nobility. The preceding week is a holiday throughout the empire and everyone who can afford the journey ventures to Oppara to join in the festivities: galas, performances and parades.
This week is also the time for all nobles to conduct important business deals, issue noble proclamations and hold private parties. The Taldan senate uses the time to vote on matters of nationwide importance.
This year is poised to mark a historic shift in the governance of the empire: the imperial senate is poised to hold a historic vote to end primogeniture, an ancient law of Taldor.

About Me
I know many different roleplaying games, have played for over 20 years now and have been a GM for quite some time as well. PbP is not new to me, either, though I haven't run a long running campaign as PbP game, yet. At least I was able to finish an adventure with all players still on board, so there's hope.

I love to weave character backgrounds into the story, even tweaking the original adventure a bit if need be. Loved ones, family, ties to nobility, the want of your own fiefdom, an enemy, a special mount/material/item/curse... as long as it fits into the overall theme of the story and makes for interesting roleplay there's a good chance that I'll make it happen/appear.

One warning: Since I have small kids at home there might be times when I won't be able to post. At least not lengthy ingame stuff. A short notice about my absence will of course be posted.
Expect a usual pace of 1-2 postings per week, with 1-2 additional small posts should the need arise (questions in ooc...).

Rules
Races: all core races (with the aforementioned drawbacks for everyone not human, (half)elven or dwarf)
Classes: core, base, hybrid
Starting level: 2
Attributes: 20 point buy
Additional rules in effect: feat tax, background skills, 1 additional trait (3 traits total, one of them can be a campaign trait)
Starting Wealth: 1000 gp (you can "upgrade" items later in play instead of having to switch them for better ones, so if you have an heirloom in mind just go for it and we'll make it work, there are actually rules for that in this campaign)

House affiliation/membership allowed: Basri, Clement, Corcina, Karthis, Kastner, Merosett, Talbot, Varima, Vernisant, Vinmark, Zespire
+ several smaller und less important, like: Cain (Knight), Cato (Lord), Centimus (Duke), Cicato (Baron), Morilla (Lord), Nicodemius (Viscount), Metnander (Baron), Pace (Count), Stokes (Lord)

Dates and Q/A
Open for applications until 16h of December

Q: Just as a question about one of the ideas I have, how against half-orcs are you?
A: I am not against half-orcs but they are rare in Taldor. They stick out. Some people really dislike them (as they dislike Qadirans...).
If you can live with that (I won't overstrain it, but there will be some situations in which it might be not so nice to be a half-orc), fine with me

Q: When you say "1 additional trait", do you mean a campaign trait and one other, or one more than the usual two, for three total? Are you going to be using/requiring a campaign trait?
A: One more than the usual two and one of the three can be a campaign trait.

Q: Do you allow the Campaign trait "Trap Finding" from mummy's mask? Its generally a universal trait to allow non-rogues to be trap finders.
A: The feat is ok

Q: Are Ninja or Unchained Rogues allowed? If yes, with weapon finesse being a part of feat taxes, would Rogue Finesse training grant dex to damage early or just be useless at level 1?
A: No unchained Rogues, no Ninjas, sorry

Q: Is there a house where that would fit (known for finance and business)?
A: Talbot, one of the bigger houses

application
Name:
Race:
Class(es):
Alignment:
Description/Picture:
Background:
RP Sample
(a link to a posting from another game is also fine):

Warning: kids at home :-D

Last edited by Beychaliban; Today at 02:59 PM. Reason: more names
Old 12-06-2018, 10:34 AM
A legend in my spare time

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3659
GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror
Posting Interest.

This looks like an interesting and thoughtful game, and the posting rate of 1.5 per week is very attractive, because I have kids at home too.

I'm partial to gunslingers, or at least to classes that can pack heat and use it effectively. I'll get my application underway.
Creator of 3D Combat Fudge |||| Designer of D&D Heretics
Old 12-06-2018, 11:25 AM
Praiser of the Sun

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 314
Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom
Posting my interest as well. Well try to have a app up before the weekend.
Current Game:Troubles in Tarn & Running Storm King's Thunder
Old 12-06-2018, 03:01 PM
Cleaner of the Royal Butt

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 564
Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge
Posting interest. I have a couple of ideas spinning around in my head. Just as a question about one of the ideas I have, how against half-orcs are you? If you are, is cool can adjust, but just thought I'd get the opinion.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:28 PM
DAGRON

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4961
Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A
Posting interest. When you say "1 additional trait", do you mean a campaign trait and one other, or one more than the usual two, for three total? Are you going to be using/requiring a campaign trait?
Old 12-06-2018, 03:57 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentil Sponge View Post
Posting interest. I have a couple of ideas spinning around in my head. Just as a question about one of the ideas I have, how against half-orcs are you? If you are, is cool can adjust, but just thought I'd get the opinion.
I am not against half-orcs but they are rare in Taldor. They stick out. Some people really dislike them (as they dislike Qadirans...).
If you can live with that (I won't overstrain it, but there will be some situations in which it might be not so nice to be a half-orc), fine with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibit A View Post
Posting interest. When you say "1 additional trait", do you mean a campaign trait and one other, or one more than the usual two, for three total? Are you going to be using/requiring a campaign trait?
One more than the usual two and one of the three can be a campaign trait. I'll add that to the rules section above.

EDIT: also added starting wealth

Last edited by Beychaliban; 12-06-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:46 PM
Rules of Paradise

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3697
Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis
Application
Bakkara Miall
Character Details
Race:HumanAge:19Class: Ex-Unchained Maneuver MasterMonk/WeretouchedShifterAlignment:CG
Traits: Bred for War, Tattooed Mystic and Reactionary
Physical DescriptionPersonality
Standing at six foot, tan-skinned, golden-haired and musclebound, Bakkara is the peak of a human's natural athletic physique. She was born half Vudrani and half Ulfen, thus gaining the mix of her parents physical aspects. Though aside from natural heritage her eyes are colored the unusual shade of amber and hold within them animalistic focus. Her body is tattooed by a series of tiger-like stripes in red ink. She wears much loose clothing that keeps her forearms, hands, feet and striped forearms bare, looking much like some kind of monk. At the ends of her bared toes and fingers are elongated, yet deceptively tough claw-like nails.Bakkara, even as a young girl was of the wild, tomboyish sort. As an adult she is a rowdy socialite, a heavy drinker and a prideful warrior. The word 'restraint' and her own name are rarely in a positive relation despite early teachings in spiritualism from an early age. She has as much in common with a tame lion as her fellow humans and can understand the former easier than the latter. She is easily fooled by cheap tricks and stumped by some affairs that cannot be solved by brute force.

Background: Born and abandoned in Abasalom, Bakkara lived as an orphan for the first quarter of her life. She learned slowly on how to live in impoverished circumstances in an orphanage where she mostly followed the flow and the beck and call of the older children. When she was seven, she, along with some others from the orphanage were taken in by monks of Irori. From there she did much of the same, following the will of those stronger than her. But as she grew older, she became restless, tired of the strictness of monastic order. Her newfound foster family continued to pressure her until one day, when she was thirteen, she fled.

On an island nation, outside the walls of a city, there weren't many places to go. She did not live her life long in the outside world, nor did anyone that raised her have any wealth to steal away, nor rations to take along with her. No, Bakkara was alone and, as a young one, could not make it far on the battlefield-like terrain far outside of the wealthy cities' walls before she ran intro trouble.

As her misfortune grew to karmic levels within a week from escaping the city, she was soon facing the point of a centaur's spear. After days of hunger, ache and anguish, what little training Bakkara had would not be sufficient to defend her, nor did her will summon up any courage to raise her fists to fight. But a sound from the fields around her, the snarl of a predatory cat. By the time she turned her head, what was there was a humanoid shadow with feline features. The cat creature lept over Bakkara's head before the centaur was in range and tore it apart with beastial fury. It was a frightening thing seeing a centaur's human-like torso get carved into by claws, and to see the blood-soaked maw turn her way thereafter was something else. She didn't have time to pray but she didn't need to, the form changed into one of a kindly man. Though the image Bakkara had seen just then frightened her, there was no resisting taking the hand such a person offered her.

Years later down the line, she finished learning the basic ways of the wilds. How to survive enough to live like an adventurer or a hermit, how to, in theory, change one's form to a feral being that suited oneself and the ways of druidism. There was no running from this home that had been made for her, for she partially learned her lesson. She had showed worries and some desire to return and apologize. But she didn't want to be taken in by that atmosphere again, with such rigid people. And even now, as an adult she didn't want to leave, but her master pushed her away, for she was no longer someone in need of saving, in his eyes. So Bakkara began wandering, and her journey began by leaving the city of birth by boat into what seemed to her, far off shores.

Soon enough, she was in Taldor, specifically the 'Gilded City' of Oppara. Hardly a penny to her name and clothes from both of her old lives on her back. To stave off hunger she did odd jobs here and there, earning somewhat a name for herself as the tattooed girl with the strength and claws of a lion. Not much longer than a month of residence, she earned work under Martella Lotheed on an entirely unrelated matter, and has since been kept on to a contract for the purpose of hired muscle. Not that muscle is short on hand for a merchant to hire, but the golden hair and dark skin of Bakkara made her an oddity that became a good conversation piece and a distraction for less wholesome business.

Last edited by Vaerdis; Today at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:44 PM
Cleaner of the Royal Butt

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 564
Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge
Tamba Kongalis
Tamba Kongalis

Race: Half Orc
Class: Sorceress (Draconic Bloodline)
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Traits: Illuminator, Rising Star, Reactionary
Physical DescriptionAs much of an introvert as she can be, Tamba doesn't make much of an effort in hiding herself. She is a tall, curvy woman, owing much to her orcish heritage. In addition to her height, her orc blood also gave her skin the green of the grass so rare in the city. Her most distinct feature, however, is a large, blood-red birthmark of a dragon snaking from her right shoulder to her face. She intentionally styles her fiery hair to keep it exposed on the off-chance that someone recognises it.

This also carries to her voice. She has a very thick accent, and her low voice rumbles through a room even when she isn't shouting. She does have a very eloquent way of speaking, though the subject matter itself might not seem so high-class. Oddly, given her appearance and the stereotype of the wild barbarian orc, Tamba's movements are almost planned in how controlled she is. Even when idle she looks like she is deep in thought, which she usually is.
PersonalityAs she is becoming an adult, Tamba stands at a fork in the road. She can either become the diplomatic and brave defender of Taldor that she is capable of being, or she could continue to be the irritating pest that she's always been.

It's rare to see Tamba without a wide, toothy grin. If she doesn't have one, then it's a knowing smirk before someone succumbs to one of her many, many pranks. She fancies herself a comedian, and spends most of her days playing practical jokes on the others or using her control over fire to make obscene shapes with flame and shadow. Much to the displeasure of her mother and her teacher, her keen mind spends most of its time thinking of insults and ripostes to throw at her peers, friend and rival alike.

Her general goofball nature is especially unusual, though, given her other, less pronounced traits, seem to conflict with this. She is a dedicated student of magic, with many hours of the day focused to learning to control the burgeoning and powerful force within her. Despite her prankster nature, she is usually very calm, quiet and introverted. She gains her energy and is most comfortable in quiet spaces. While not stupid in the slightest, she is slow to make a decision, preferring to look at every angle possible before committing to anything. By her own admission she would make a poor leader and an excellent advisor.

Perhaps her greatest trait, though, is her gift of the gab. While not an extrovert by nature, she is incredibly comfortable talking to people, and those who aren't the target of her many jokes find her a charming, shrewd and eloquent speaker. She is a master of the chess game that is conversation, and can flip between friendly, soothing, seductive or terrifying in an instant. Whatever approach she needs to take to get what she wants, she is more than capable. Both a confident diplomat and a convincing liar, she's the sort that can smell a person's personality and immediately use that to her advantage, and she is very rarely flustered or left without words.

It would be difficult for anyone else to flip between so many masks so quickly, but Tamba has gotten used to putting up masks for a while now. Because for all of her jokes and smiles, she is terrified, alone and in deep pain.

Tamba is plagued by constant voices in her head, all with conflicting commands and agendas. She worries that she may be going insane. She also has many sleepless nights, dreading that her fire magic might hurt or even kill someone when she's not in complete control, which is not as often as she would like it. She is prone to panic attacks and fits of madness, and in these moments she can be incredibly dangerous to be around. As such, she always tries to maintain emotional distance from anyone except her mother.

Her faults are not just limited to her madness, however. With how seriously she takes her practise in controlling her magic, it has caused her other studies to falter, and combined with her slowness to act, she can often seem lazy, sluggish and disinterested. Despite her sharp wit she is not very well learned. But, for all of her faults, she is kind and selfless, and as painful as it is she very rarely drops the mask of the goofy, irritating trickster.

Tamba is at a fork in the road, and she doesn't know which path she will take. Rather, her greatest fear is that the road may fall from under her feet and send her tumbling into madness.
History

Tamba was born in Oppara, the only child of a lowly courtesan, and was never told who her father was. All she knows that she is an illegitimate child to one of the great noble houses of Taldor, and the matter of which house has been a matter of great curiosity. Of greater significance is her birth. Her mother had been refused by every holy man and medicine man in the city. They did not want a prostitute sullying their temples. All but one; a priestess tending a ruined temple of a nearly forgotten and hated goddess. There, on the cracked stone altar itself, Tamba was born. But when she was, the omens began. There was a large and strange birthmark across the child's face, that of a coiling red dragon.

The priestess who delivered the baby was greatly concerned. The goddess that she patronised was Sarenrae, and she believed that the mark came from the goddess. If it was in any other land, it would be a blessing. In the heartland of an empire that had once outlawed her worship, it was a very ill omen indeed, and it was yet to be seen if Sarenrae favoured the child, or cursed her existence. She warned Tamba's mother that the babe was marked for great purpose by the goddess, and that the child would be plagued by her mark.

But her mother did not care. She loved Tamba as much as a mother could, and did her best to care for Tamba despite her life in the brothel. They lived in one of the poorest neighbourhoods in the Gilded City. It was a harsh place with harsh people, but for Tamba it was home. All of her coin went to Tamba's care and education. And for a while, nothing seemed to portend that there were greater things for the young girl. Even the prostitutes that often kept Tamba company didn't pay much mind; it was a strange mark, to be sure, but children with strange birthmarks were born all over the world. Surely nothing to be concerned of.

And then the voices came.

When she was seven, Tamba began to hear voices in her head. Many voices. Mad voices. Voices that disagreed. She had no clue as to who or what the voices were, and the instructions they gave were as numerous as they were inconsistent. She didn't know if these voices were a higher power, something within her or if she was simply going mad. When she told the other children in the neighbourhood, they began to treat her differently. Already an outcast with her orcish heritage, the clear madness made her a target for bullying. No one liked her and no one trusted her. The only ally that she had in the whole world was her mother, and as loving as she was, her mother couldn't protect her from everything.

She wouldn't have to. It wasn't long after this that Tamba began to exhibit magical talents. Specifically, fire. Fire seemed to obey her will, and flames began to appear at will around her. This pyrokinesis stopped the bullying, but only because Tamba was feared by other children rather than mocked. The priestess of Sarenrae took pity on the half-orc and took her in. While she didn't know the meaning of the birthmark or the source of her fire magic, but she taught the little half-orc to control the burgeoning magic,and took the time to teach her the religion of the goddess Sarenrae. While it was a safe life, it was a lonely life, with only dangerous voices to keep the half-orc company.

Soon, Tamba found the only way to cope was to laugh at her own circumstances. She reinvented herself as a joker and trickster, always having a sarcastic quip for every situation and finding joy in making light of any and all situations. Even her own tragic life was worth mockery, or at least was the source of some joke material. And this is what ended up saving her.

Worship of Sarenae was eventually made lawful, and not long after, Martella Lotheed contacted her about an offer of employment. Martella was drawn to Tamba for a number of reasons. Her own Qadiran lineage made her sympathetic to a worshipper of Sarenrae, and while half-orcs are not popular in the Opparan courts, it wouldn't be too much of a hindrance to someone with as a strong a command of rhetoric and diplomacy as Tamba did. And, if nothing else, the temple worker amused Martella.

As for Tamba, she was always curious as to where her father was, and working for Martella could provide for her mother in a way that her mother could never provide for her, but there was something else. When she had first laid her eyes on the noblewoman, every voice in Tamba's head screamed with a great purpose. All of them told her to go to her. Tamba had purpose with Martella, and something in her bones knew that in the woman's service, she would discover what the purpose of her mark was. Who she was, what her birthmark means, what the voices mean, and if they are a blessing or a curse.
Other NotesI'm going to admit, I am not familiar with Taldor, but I did like the look at it, and what I'm looking at with my character I do think would fit in flavour-wise to the setting, at least what I immediately have in mind. As a note, oh noble DM, if there's anything that you want changing to fit into the setting, then feel free to let me know.

Last edited by Lentil Sponge; 12-07-2018 at 06:16 AM.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:53 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Runetide
Hi there! New to the site.
I'd love to try my hand at this game! Is there still availability?
I am familiar with the War for the Crown game. I also am familiar with the feat tax thing, so there's that.

Any party roles already spoken for?
Also how are you doing the HP for level 2?

Character Concept
Character Name: Leon Karthis
Concept: Noble Rondolero Duelist (Rondolero Duelist Fighter 1/Rondolero Swashbuckler 1)
Reason for being involved: He's far enough distanced from his family's dealings that he would still need to earn 'cred' before he can really gain any influence. He's proven himself as a courtly figure and a fierce duelist, but lacks experience of a long-time member of society, as well as to compensate for the fact he's half-elven.

Character Art

Stat Block
Leon Karthis
Male half-elf fighter (rondelero duelist) 1/swashbuckler (rondelero swashbuckler) 1 (Pathfinder Player Companion: Inner Sea Primer, Pathfinder RPG Advanced Class Guide 56, Weapon Master's Handbook 6)
CG Medium humanoid (elf, human)
Init +4; Senses low-light vision; Perception +7
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 18, touch 14, flat-footed 14 (+3 armor, +4 Dex, +1 shield)
hp 20 (2d10+4)
Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +0; +2 racial bonus vs. fear, sleep, and paralysis effects
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 30 ft.
Attack Melee Mwk Falcata +7 1d8+4, 19-20x3
Special Attacks deeds (dodging panache, opportune parry and riposte), panache (2)
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 13, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 14
Base Atk +2; CMB +6; CMD 17
Feats Agile Maneuvers, Combat Expertise, Deadly Aim, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (falcata), Power Attack, Slashing Grace[ACG], Weapon Focus
Traits armor expert, athletic champion, lion's audacity (taldor)
Skills Acrobatics +8, Bluff +6, Diplomacy +7, Knowledge (local) +4, Knowledge (nobility) +5, Perception +7, Perform (dance) +7, Sense Motive +4; Racial Modifiers +2 Perception
Languages Common, Elven
SQ dragon soul, falcata emphasis, finesse weapon attack attribute, rules changes, swashbuckler finesse
Combat Gear oil of lead blades, potion of cure light wounds (3); Other Gear mwk studded leather, mwk buckler, masterwork backpack[APG], 420 gp
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Agile Maneuvers Use DEX instead of STR for CMB
Combat Expertise +/-1 Bonus to AC in exchange for an equal penalty to attack.
Deadly Aim -1/+2 Trade a penalty to ranged attacks for a bonus to ranged damage.
Deeds
Dragon Soul (Elf) (Su) Count as dragons for bane/favored enemies, and +2 to save vs. fear, sleep, and paralysis.
Falcata Emphasis (Ex) Gain proficiency with falcatas and may deal piercing damage using falcatas.
Finesse Weapon Attack Attribute The “light weapons” category has been renamed to “finesse weapons.” Characters can choose to use either their dexterity bonus or their strength bonus to hit with these weapons, no feat required. “Finesse” is also now a weapon attribute li
Low-Light Vision See twice as far as a human in dim light, distinguishing color and detail.
Panache (Ex) Gain a pool of points that are spent to fuel deeds, regained on light/piercing crit/killing blow.
Power Attack -1/+2 You can subtract from your attack roll to add to your damage.
Rules Changes Feat Tax rules in effect
Slashing Grace (Falcata) Treat chosen weapon as 1-handed piercing weapon and can add Dex instead of Str to dam.
Swashbuckler Finesse Use Dex for att with light/1-hand pierce wep. Use Cha instead of Int for combat feat pre-reqs.
Weapon Focus (Heavy Blades) Choose one weapon group. You become better at using that type of weapon. (+1 attack)

Last edited by Runetide; 12-08-2018 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Cleaning up submission
Old 12-08-2018, 12:04 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 989
Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest
Application
Troy Dulles; Human Sorcerer
True Neutral
School of Evocation
Follower of Nethys
Traits: Magical Lineage (Fireball), Desperate Focus, Disgraced Noble

Personality
Troy wastes no time with others, being a man who trusts none other than his own capabilities. Being alone
for most of his life, he tends to work on his own, though with persuasion, will attempt to work with others.
A difficult man to speak with, he is blunt and rude, not caring to sugar coat anything he says, which has
lead to a brawl or twenty that he had to stop, especially as diplomacy is not his strong suit. Either you deal
with power or you don't at all. He is knowledgeable with magic, mostly in destructive magic,
hopefully using it to achieve his future goal...

Backstory
Born to Ryland and Tatiana, Troy's life as a noble child was that of any sire. Filled with lectures,
private tutors, galas, events and endless talking. He never truly fit into the higher class life,
wanting to be like how the adventurers that he heard and read about were out in the world.
Troy had snuck out during a public event to go exploring in the forest. Before he had left the
walls of the city he had noticed another child being taken into an alley by some kobolds clad in
brick colored robes. Seeing his chance to be a hero, he gave chase into the alleyway. When he
saw the group he didn't notice one was missing and had been laying in wait for him, snatching
him as well. The kobolds struck the children to keep them quiet, sneering and cackling all the
while. The first child managed to bite the hand of their captive and wriggle free, darting out of
the alley. Leaving Troy in the clutches of some very angry kobolds. Blows rained down upon him
to vent their frustrations. And in the chaotic melee Troy reached hand out to the sky, quietly
begging for help. A burst of fire erupted from his hand and streaked off intot he sky, acting as
a signal for the guards the freed child had gone to inform of the group of monsters that had
snuck into town. From that day on, after Troy had recovered from his wounds, he studied magic
with great interest. Paying attention in his studies, practicing whenever he could, and acquiring
whatever book he could about the arcane arts.

Troy's journey into adulthood lead him into the rebellious stage in his life where he was not interested
in taking over the family's stonemason business, no matter how much his family tell him that he has no
choice. They tried to reason with him, stating that he was ill-suited for magic as no one in the family's
lineage had ever displayed magicla apptitude. And his wasting time trying to effectively fling fireballs
on the grounds was merely a waste of his time and squandering greater opportunities. Overtime Troy's
parents saw that this wasn't a casual interest for their short-sighted son, and tried to grant him entry
into Mage College. He was denied however, as he couldn't be taught. The Headmaster explained that Troy's
arcane apptitude came very naturally to him. Through blood, through distress, through the Gods themselves.
There was no one who could teach him but only advise how best to develope and use his powers. Disappointed
and frustrated there was a place of education their son couldn't attend, they accepted the Headmaster's
words and began to pursue their earlier options on Troy's behalf. It wasn't long before they had him in
an arranged marriage with the daughter of House Zespire. A lovely beauty of tan skin, raven black hair, and
eyes like a summer night sky. Parents from both families were hopeful that their offspring would be accepting
of the arrangement, as early signs were showing the two got along quite well! However, Troy approached his
parents one evening and stated that he had no interest in marrying Elizabeth. He enjoyed his time
spent with her but had no interest in actually marrying her. His parents were upset and furious. Now they
were beginning to grow concerned for their son. He had no true profession to his name, no skills to call
upon, and now no wife to create future heirs with. Something had to be done.

Troy's life took a downhill turn when he was caught in bed with the daughter of an opposing family. His
parents were in utter horror at the actions of their son. This was the final act of defiance; They would
tolerate their ill-tempered, foolish, fanciful son no longer. Troy was disowned by his parents and struck
from the family tree, kicked onto the street to fend for himself. The family, ashamed of their now ex-son,
began to devise how best to recover from this shameful event to ensure they remain in good standing
with their noble allies.

Since Troy wasn't welcome in the other house either he could only stay in contact with the daughter
hrough letters, in a flowery, prose-laden font whenever he could scrape together the con for ink and
paper. Though it was a secret code between the two so no one could see what they were actually saying
to each other. Troy tried to sneak to the estate that the daughter lived in one night but when he arrived
she was nowhere to be found. Her room was totally empty. Before he made his exit he overheard her
parents mention something about 'sending her away to spend time with their extended family.

Last edited by Krow Nest; Yesterday at 01:11 AM.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:42 AM
Massively Multitasking

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10749
Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain
What kind of post rate are you hoping for? And how closely are you going to follow the AP? I find that a lot of them are designed with redundant combat to flesh them out, which tend to drag on in PbP.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:12 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Posting rate 1-2 Postings per week.

I will reduce the amount of combat encounters to a manageable (read: minimal) amount, likely making the remaining ones a bit harder in the process (by adding 1-3 underlings most likely).

Old 12-08-2018, 04:28 AM
Massively Multitasking

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10749
Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain
Sounds fun.

Currently thinking of a Bard, one with ties to one of the noble houses but a couple of steps down on the heir list.

Is there a place with more info on the various houses you mentioned?
Old 12-08-2018, 08:21 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
The official Paizo players guide to War for the Crown
Link follows if need be, it‘s free
There‘s not much on the houses, though. But if you have a certain kind of house in mind I‘d be happy to provide you with the one that fits most

Old 12-08-2018, 09:48 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Runetide
I chose a house for my character submission. I didn't figure much about it, but perhaps there's some tension about him being a half elf, since while he was technically one of the eldest of his generation, his younger brother was a full human and therefore matured faster and was given education at a quicker rate. The... Indescretion with the elven man was an understandable scandal yet has been resolved by taking his father into the family and portraying Leon as a cousin of the main bloodline.

Last edited by Runetide; 12-08-2018 at 09:56 AM.