... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Old 10-09-2018, 11:06 PM
I'm Back...with friends!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 32236
hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekidnu View Post
Then after that, there will be a new, deadlier threat?
Indeed, each round has an even more dangerous threat!
Old 10-10-2018, 07:59 AM
She Whispers, Loneliness

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11718
Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rules
Do not worry about supplying stat blocks or other mechanical information....
In trying to get my head ready should I be fortunate enough to participate, I came across the above entry in the rules. And then further, trying to get to know the judges, I see direct and indirect indications that stat blocks and mechanics are necessary for a positive judgment. Can the Chairmen make a clarification?
Old 10-10-2018, 10:20 AM
Game Operations Director

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5422
GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen
Go with the round specific rules. They trump general rules.

Round 1 and beyond is when they start making us poor fools right adventures and encounters. That is when all the additional mechanical info is needed.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:32 AM
She Whispers, Loneliness

Tools
User Statistics
Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodRosen View Post
Go with the round specific rules. They trump general rules.

Round 1 and beyond is when they start making us poor fools right adventures and encounters. That is when all the additional mechanical info is needed.
Thank you GodRosen. I don't want to seem obtuse but your answer doesn't clear up my concern. I'm fine with the insertion of mechanics or leaving them out. However, the general rules lead one to believe this potential element isn't crucial while judges have stated specific preferences for the element of mechanics. Unless you're stating that mechanics are required in some rounds but optional in others, then overall mechanics are optional, as in the rules, or they're required to appease the judges. I want to fully understand. It's been a while since I have paid attention to the specifics of the contest.

Last edited by Securis; 10-10-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:41 AM
Who shall we kill today?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5356
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
Maybe the take-away message is: "Don't supply mechanics. Then, accept that you'll be berated for not supplying mechanics"? Or maybe the mechanics should be included a a secret code within the fluff? Though that would violate the judges directions that they want things to be easily accessible and understandable... Hmmm... Maybe make the code really, really easy to break?

Old 10-10-2018, 12:29 PM
All Hail The Glow Cloud

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1387
ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair
I imagine it more to be "explain mechanics as needed". For instance, you wouldn't need the mechanics for your Round Zero, because it was literally just a description. But if in round one, you create a new magical item based on a hilarious sea slug, or a door made of gnoll teeth... obviously those would have some unusual qualities.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:41 PM
Barbarus sum

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12794
HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood
My view is that, if you're saying "it's an infernal advanced giant young 8-headed pyrocryohydra", you'd better give me a stat block. If it's a standard SRD monster, you can embed a link to the SRD reference it (Chairman edit to maintain rules compliance ).

This isn't official though!

Last edited by hvg3akaek; 10-10-2018 at 11:32 PM. Reason: to maintain rules compliance
Old 10-10-2018, 01:21 PM
She Whispers, Loneliness

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParzivalFair View Post
I imagine it more to be "explain mechanics as needed". For instance, you wouldn't need the mechanics for your Round Zero, because it was literally just a description. But if in round one, you create a new magical item based on a hilarious sea slug, or a door made of gnoll teeth... obviously those would have some unusual qualities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryLockwood View Post
My view is that, if you're saying "it's an infernal advanced giant young 8-headed pyrocryohydra", you'd better give me a stat block. If it's a standard SRD monster, you can embed a link to the SRD.

This isn't official though!
Both of your opinions makes balanced sense. If that's the expectation, great! I was just reading through previous entries to get a sense of what's included and what's not.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:57 PM
Simple Storysmith

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6481
MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac
Also I think there are no links outside of the post, but what I've seen done previously (and have done myself) is provide the name of the creature, abbreviation of the source, and page number to satisfy the mechanics.

Example: The group faces a fiendish creature, wafting with the smell of death and putrescence, with a taunting voice forcing its way into their minds (Bulezau: MToF pp.131)

The example above would indicate to judges that you are using the stat blocks for that creature and it can be found in Mordenkainens Tome of Foes on page 131. No need to indicate stats in your post which eat up your prescious word-count... not sure if it's against the rules or not but I'd probably try and squish the key info even further as MToF-pp131 so it can "count" as one word. Hahaha.

Last edited by MontageManiac; 10-10-2018 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:35 PM
I'm Back...with friends!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 32236
hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Securis View Post
In trying to get my head ready should I be fortunate enough to participate, I came across the above entry in the rules. And then further, trying to get to know the judges, I see direct and indirect indications that stat blocks and mechanics are necessary for a positive judgment. Can the Chairmen make a clarification?
Good spotting, Securis!

In short, if you want to use something that will take 500 words to fill out a table to statistics, you've probably made a wrong choice. The intent is for story and adventure creation, not the creation of the mechanics behind monsters and NPCs. That would also be a great competition, but it's not this one's focus. So, in general, make interesting stories, and use creatures that can easily be taken from other source material (eg, a system's Monster Manual equivalent).

Now, if individual judges want to mark you down for using, for example, the aforementioned "infernal advanced giant young 8-headed pyrocryohydra", then they can. Note, however, that the scoring system detailed in the Judges Introduction thread is being used, so whilst you might loose a point or two, overall, it shouldn't be overly specific. Don't, however, link to other information, or include pictures in your post.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:56 AM
She Whispers, Loneliness

Tools
User Statistics
Thank you, esteemed Chairman!
Old 10-12-2018, 10:39 AM
The Crawling Chaos

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13295
Bade Bade Bade Bade Bade Bade Bade Bade Bade Bade Bade
Sorry for any confusion, I've been a bit disconnected from the past two or three Iron DMs and didn't notice some of the changes made to the overall rules, so I've edited my intro to remove contradictory information.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:37 AM
Bad Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20937
Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem
Phew, some big names on the judges roster this year. I guess slacking won't be an option if I don't want to be torn apart by you lot

Anyway, threw my own round 0 entry into the ring. Only a few more days left now...really looking forward to seeing what everyone came up with!
Old 10-13-2018, 03:41 PM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 30203
Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak
Don’t worry Inem, we’ll tear you apart no matter how hard you try. It’s what we do.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:32 AM
Who shall we kill today?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5356
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
These submissions are eventually revealed, right? And Inem isn't required to submit a Round 0 submission, because he's automatically accepted into the runnings, being the reigning champion?

If I've got that correct, I really hope Inem took advantage of that combination, and just submitted the most ridiculous thing imaginable.