RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter google facebook
4 0 5
... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Old 11-07-2018, 01:44 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 416
Zamdall Zamdall Zamdall Zamdall Zamdall
The Everlasting Unknown: A West Marches Campaign

Game NameThe Everlasting Unknown: A West Marches Campaign
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeA player driven, high magic, high fantasy, fantasy land, sword and sorcery west marches campaign..
Plot Summary
The Everlasting Unknown: A West Marches Campaign
This game is open recruitment and you do not need to post an application in this thread. Click on the link above to visit the game forum.

IntroCalling all brave adventurers. The Gilded Compass is recruiting adventurers from all walks to join our newly opened Adventurers Guild in the town of Lenloth along the border of the savage wilds known as the Everlasting Unknown. Satisfy your thirst for adventure and keep (most) of what you find in the wilds. Apply at the Gilded Compass and start exploring the Everlasting Unknown today!
Lilyia Aezora, Commander of the Gilded Compass, Baroness of Lenloth.

What is a west marches game?There is normally a pool of Players and sometimes a pool of different DMs instead of one group always playing together. Theoretically, itís possible never to play with the same group of characters more than once.

Players choose what they want to do, where they want to go and how they plan for their adventure, before notifying the DM. It is the players responsibility take initiative, find players, and decide what to do.

Adventures begin and end in the town of Lenloth and are usually the length of a single one shot.

It is up to the players to share the information they gain while out in the Everlasting Unknown. Players who do write ups or add to the map will be rewarded.

There is no adventure in town. Most of the people there are boring and you will only find excitement, experience, and treasure outside of Lenloth.

The farther you travel from Lenloth the more dangerous it becomes with spots of high risk high reward sprinkled throughout.

Setting and ToneThe setting for a West Marches game is comprised of two things, the town and the surrounding lands. Lenloth is the frontier, a border town between civilization and the wild. The lands that have been tamed and feral. The lands around the town are the Wild Unknown. Great plains, deep crevasses and haunted barrows. The woods crawl with unspeakable horrors and the swamps are best not spoken of. This is what the people of the town have at their doorstep, always creeping forth trying to reclaim the land as its own. But you donít know what is out there until you leave the safety of the town.

The world in which this game is set is intended to a be a high fantasy, high magic, sword and sorcery, classic fantasy land type of place. It is my intention that this type of setting will appeal to the most amount of people and not scare anyone off for being to dark or weird.

With that said, it is my hope that I can make each region players explores feel unique and feel alive.

About Me
D&D has many rules that are left to DM discretion. If you are not sure how I will interpret something please bring it up in the OOC thread. My rulings may be different that other DMs that you play under. I will generally allow your character to do it something that the rules don't necessarily allow or even have rulings for. This goes for the bad guys too.

I play it loose with the rules as written and allow my players to do things that the rules might not necessarily allow. I err on the side of fun more than I side with the rules. I want players leaving with fun tales to tell. I am comfortable with my experience to make these calls.

I try to run combat tactically. I do my best to run the monsters how I think they would act in a fight with your characters. Unintelligent zombies may chase after the closest target whereas a hob goblin may order his goblins swarm the person healing. If a bad guy escapes with information about you then they may try to use it against you next time.

Be warned that I roll most of my dice out in the open and therefore I won't be fudging any die rolls. This can mean that some encounters may end up being harder or easier depending on the luck of the dice.

Character DetailsYou are encouraged to make unique player characters, with you own motivations, goals, and worldviews with the caveat that you all have a reason to be here, help each other and work together. I will even go as far as to give you that reason - All characters must be loyal members of the Gilded Compass adventuring guild. Characters may have their differences but at the end of the day you are on the same side. Unlike normal D&D the main characters of a West Marches campaign aren't individual player characters but the entire community of players

It is my intention to make sure the game interests both murder-hobos and social characters. Every expedition has a set reward for completing it successfully. This means that experience isnít tied to the number of things you kill and you will not be punished for not killing everything and by talking your way out of a situation or doing the entire session stealthily. Your group can try to complete encounters and situations the way you want.

On that same note, it is also my intention to let the players do what your characters want. If you want to build roads so your characters donít get lost (And you will get lost in the beginning), establish trade routes, or build bases in the wild to rest safely, then by all means you can try to do that. Feel free to bring your ideas on how you want to impact our world and Iíll do my best to give players the tools to accomplish these things.

Starting Level: 1
Ability Score Generation: 27 Point Buy
Hit Points Max for first level. Upon leveling up roll and take the roll or average HP, whichever is higher.
Classes: Any. (Multiclassing will be allowed.)
Paladin - You may use either your strength or dexterity score when it comes to meeting multiclass requirements.

Warlock - You may choose either charisma or intelligence as your spell casting ability. If you choose intelligence replace the charisma saving throw with intelligence.
Races: Any. (Variant Human will be allowed. Winged races allowed.)
Dragonborn may use their breath weapon as a bonus action
Equipment and gold: Everyone begins play with the gear from their class and background.
Feat: All characters gain a feat at first level.
Reflavoring: You can reflavor basically anything within reason. If you want a bludgeoning polearm then you may take the glaive and call it a lucerne hammer. When taking a spell you may switch a common damage type (Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning, Thunder, Poison) with another. This change is permanent for that caster. (eg. Fireball to Lightning Ball or Poison Spray to Cold Spray)

Sources Allowed: You are free to use any officially released D&D 5e materials from Wizards of the Coast as long as itís not on the ban list below. If your character uses UA content, and a new version of that feature comes out, you will be required to update to the most recent version. Additionally, when UA content gets its final release in an official book the UA is considered obsolete, and should not be used.

Banned Content:
Revenant subrace (UA: Gothic Heroes)
Revised Ranger (UA: Ranger, Revised)
Arcane Theurgy (UA: The Faithful, UA: Wizards Revisited)
Lore Master (UA: Warlock & Wizard)
Spelless Ranger (UA: Modifying Classes)
UA: Modern Magic
Planeshift
Greater Dragonmark (WFGE)
Outdated Options from Unearthed Arcana
House Rules The one rule to rule them all - We are all here to play D&D and have fun. Donít be a dick and we shouldnít have a problem. Disagreements will happen and at that time they should be resolved civilly. Due to the fact that Play By Post is slower than sitting at the table, give everyone a chance to get their post in before moving on.

I allow a lot of common rules from the DMG that I won't post below such as climbing on to large monsters, inspiration, and oathbreaker paladins. House rules may be adjusted as time goes on. If everyone wants a certain rule added, removed or changed then I will certainly think about it.

Critical damage is calculated as Max Dice damage + roll + modifier.

Drinking potions are a bonus action but it takes an action to feed it one to someone.

Flanking gives a +2 attack bonus instead of advantage like it says in the DMG.
I do most of my battles on a grid and use the Diagonals rule from the DMG (5ft-10ft-5ft-10ft and so on).

You can swap weapons once on your turn (eg put away bow and draw swords), so can the bad guys.

I use downtime days and altered magic crafting rules that will be posted at a later time.

Gain a point of exhaustion whenever you come back from death saving throws. You can expend 2 hit dice to get rid of these points of exhaustion during a short rest.

Last edited by Zamdall; 12-05-2018 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:42 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2141
Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk
A new open recruit game! Fantastic you can expect a citizen from me.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:02 PM
CommunityCoffee Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6453
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Riza"
left-aligned image
Name: Riza of the Uthgardt Tribe

Class: Barbarian

Background: Uthgardt Tribe Member

Personality:
Trait
I can stare down a Hellhound without flenching.
Ideal
My Tribe, my people, are what matter most.
Bond
I fight for those who cannot fight for themselves
Flaw
Violence is my answer to almost any challenge

Appearance: Riza stands 6'6" tall and strikes an imposing figure. She easily weighs upwards of 250lbs, and though muscular as is her line, she has an athletic build for her race (though few may know it) due to her always being on the move.

Last edited by Drachenspirit; 11-07-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:08 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics

@Drachenspirit
Monstrous races are fine. Monstrous adventurers would probably have even more reason to come to Lenloth.

Because this is a west marches game, applications and character sheets aren't needed in the thread. If you want to play then you'll be accepted. Once your character is completed, or you want somewhere to work on it, you can go ahead and post it in this thread here.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:23 PM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 901
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Bumping because this is an awesome idea.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:47 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 937
MossStone MossStone MossStone MossStone MossStone MossStone MossStone MossStone
Hi Im intrested... um.. I don't quite get what "Unlike normal D&D the main characters of a West Marches campaign aren't individual player characters but the entire community of players" means. Does that mean future players will be using my character?
Old 11-08-2018, 05:44 AM
Bad Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20887
Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem
As a note from staff side, we do have a stickied thread that lists all open recruitment games, which you can check out here, Zamdall: Link.

If you are accepting all players and plan to continue doing so for a long time, you can PM Bhelogan to get your game added to the list, so people can find it even after this add drops off the first few pages.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:04 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by MossStone View Post
Hi Im intrested... um.. I don't quite get what "Unlike normal D&D the main characters of a West Marches campaign aren't individual player characters but the entire community of players" means. Does that mean future players will be using my character?
Only you can control your character. It basically means the community as a whole is more important than any one character. All players and their characters are equals in the community. This is why all characters, whether they're a Lawful Good Paladin or Chaotic Evil Warlock, are loyal to the guild and therefore have a shared goal and reason to work together. Characters may butt head over minor things but at the end of the day they are on the same side.

Tl;dr: The setting demands that players must work together and guild means the players will work together no matter who their character is.

@Inem
Thanks for the heads up. I will message Bhelogan shortly.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:24 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 643
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
Oh, I like these kinds of games! I'm currently working on the last couple of details for my character. As soon as it is complete (hopefully tomorrow), I'll post it in the character thread you mentioned .
Old 11-08-2018, 01:02 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 74
Ravel
I’m interested. I’ll get working on a character straight away.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:27 AM
Alleged Illicit Illithid

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
Marvus Marvus
This looks interesting! I like free-form adventuring.

Last edited by Marvus; 11-13-2018 at 02:33 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:07 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 65
SenseiSoriel
I'm interested. I have a few characters ideas like this female monk I'm pondering (and will multiclass as a wizard due to her childhood accident). By the way, is there a restriction on the number of characters used? And will I be allowed to use what happens here for writting? You see, I had the blank page for a decade (had lots of inspiration before and just writting a character for 5e broke that white page. Of course, I don't plan to sell the story, but I might post it on these forums at first.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:16 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 387
Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64
The campaign description said variant humans were OK, and that all player applications could receive a free feat (or I interpreted it that way). Does that mean that a starting human-variant PC would have two feats?
Old 11-20-2018, 02:27 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire64 View Post
The campaign description said variant humans were OK, and that all player applications could receive a free feat (or I interpreted it that way). Does that mean that a starting human-variant PC would have two feats?
That is correct.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:25 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 81
KhamLuc
Hi everybody

I Like to take a chair with your table... is there a place left for me ?

- Old Pal Luc -