User Statistics
RPXP: 152
StarSignMaster StarSignMaster
Fairydale

Game NameFairydale
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeWorld-spanning exploration
FlavourRP and exploration-focused, total sandbox
Plot SummaryFairydale is a world inhabited by creatures, characters and magic from folklore, fairytales, mythology and fantasy literature (in the public domain).

Considering this is my first time DMing in this format, the campaign will try to mix everything: combat, RP and exploration pretty evenly.

The tone will shift with the party. It definitely isn't static. Probably not too dark and probably not too Disney.

I would prefer posts at least once a day, but I won't do much unless you disappear for a week without warning.

This campaign is mostly sandbox, so just explore and meet people and gods and monsters, maiming things if you want and hopefully trying to fulfil a plot. There's also a good amount of my own worldbuilding to tie everything together, so don't be surprised if you see anything like that.

At this moment, I only need one player to fill in for someone who dropped out.

As for sourcebooks, I'm only using the basic DMG, PHB and MM as well as my own homebrew creations. If you want to do something from another sourcebook, you can, but ask first.

Use proper grammar and punctuation. The quality of the writing can be meh, but get the English right.

You'll likely begin in Grimmland, the land where most of Grimm's Fairy Tales take place (basically Germany). However, if it seems that almost everybody has chosen some Greek hero or a character from the Arabian Nights, I will change the starting location.

Ability scores will be point buy.

Remember, this is my first time DMing in this format.

(FACECLAIM IS NOT NECESSARY)

Character Submission Template:
Name:
Which character is it based off?:
Race:
Personality: Include ideals, bonds and flaws.
Backstory:

Last edited by StarSignMaster; 12-03-2018 at 03:22 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:02 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 771
Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer Chaucer
I’m interested. When you say a character meeds to be based off a fairy tale or folklore character in the public domain, do you mean that they have to be that character or that they merely have to be inspired by that character?
Old 11-11-2018, 04:31 AM
Elder Dragon Legend

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12289
PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors PalladiaMors
What will the starting level be?
Old 11-11-2018, 05:09 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
The starting level is 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaucer View Post
Iím interested. When you say a character meeds to be based off a fairy tale or folklore character in the public domain, do you mean that they have to be that character or that they merely have to be inspired by that character?
I'm not sure I know how to answer this. They do have to be that character, not just an expy, but they will probably be changed a lot. For example, Snow White is a pretty seven-year-old, which would make a terrible D&D adventurer, so the character would have to differ from the original story while keeping the core elements. But the character would still be Snow White. Does that answer the question?
Old 11-11-2018, 05:20 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Other character rules:
You are allowed to combine two characters as long as they're similar enough. For example, combining the woodsman from Little Red Riding Hood with the woodcutter from Hansel and Gretel to create the ultimate woodcutter character. Or combining every aspect of the stock hero Jack to make a character who climbed a beanstalk, jumped over a candlestick AND went up a hill to fetch a pail of water. Right, I forgot to mention. Nursery rhyme characters are also allowed.

If a character is unnamed, you have to give them a name. If the character is named, you cannot change their name. If you want to combine a named character with another named character (like the Moirai from Greek mythology and the Norns from Norse mythology who are fundamentally exactly the same), you just have to pick one to name it after.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:32 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarSignMaster View Post
The starting level is 1.

I'm not sure I know how to answer this. They do have to be that character, not just an expy, but they will probably be changed a lot. For example, Snow White is a pretty seven-year-old, which would make a terrible D&D adventurer, so the character would have to differ from the original story while keeping the core elements. But the character would still be Snow White. Does that answer the question?
Yup, I get it, thanks
Old 11-11-2018, 06:48 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 543
Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099
Hi there StarSignMaster,
Very interesting concept! Are deities and gods allowed as player characters (e.g. Thor, god of Thunder and Lightning? Or Loki?)
Old 11-11-2018, 09:31 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 937
MossStone MossStone MossStone MossStone MossStone MossStone MossStone MossStone
This sounds great! I'll have an app posted as soon as I can. I'd like to go with the industrious polite and clever heroine only with her magic if that's ok (Frau Holle + the Girl who spun nettles, + The Spindle, the Shuttle, and the Needle, and Rumple Skilskin). Maybe with her drop spindle as an arcane focus or the like.

Also, I caught the note about spelling- I have a really bad learning disability- does that mean I should not apply? I do use spell cheek- I use Grammarly even- but it is often times not enough.

Last edited by MossStone; 11-11-2018 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:26 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Withdrawn

Last edited by Chaucer; 11-18-2018 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:44 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange2099 View Post
Hi there StarSignMaster,
Very interesting concept! Are deities and gods allowed as player characters (e.g. Thor, god of Thunder and Lightning? Or Loki?)
No, gods are not allowed as player characters. They are going to be much more grounded than they are in the regular game, but they are not playable.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:47 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by MossStone View Post
This sounds great! I'll have an app posted as soon as I can. I'd like to go with the industrious polite and clever heroine only with her magic if that's ok (Frau Holle + the Girl who spun nettles, + The Spindle, the Shuttle, and the Needle, and Rumple Skilskin). Maybe with her drop spindle as an arcane focus or the like.

Also, I caught the note about spelling- I have a really bad learning disability- does that mean I should not apply? I do use spell cheek- I use Grammarly even- but it is often times not enough.
I can make an exception for you. I don't want to turn away players for something like that.

Especially since I was really hoping a player would play as the Miller's Daughter since Rumplestiltskin is one of my favourite fairytales.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:50 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 252
ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart
Application

Name: Heart

Which character is it based off?: The Red Knight/Knave of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland

Class: Fighter (Champion)

Race: Tiefling

Personality: Once upon a time, Heart had been a kind and caring young man. But that man has been forever changed by his service to the Red Queen. Though he wears a constant smile as a mask, he has become cold and merciless inside. His loyalty is strong, but if you lose it, you will never get it back. He is a friend for life, but an enemy for life as well. As much as she has tried, the Red Queen can't squash Heart's passion and strong will, though they only appear to her in the form of his work. Heart is well disciplined, when he on duty, but off duty he spends much of his time in the beds of strangers, men or women, it doesn't matter to him anymore. Despite how warm his body is, he hardly feels anything anymore. Any other free time he has is spent training or reading.

Traits: If you do me an injury, I will crush you, ruin your name, and salt your fields.
My favor, once lost, is lost forever.

Ideal: Responsibility. It is my duty to respect the authority of those above me, just as those below me must respect mine.

Bond: My loyalty to my sovereign is unwavering.

Flaw: I have an insatiable desire for carnal pleasures.

Backstory: Heart was born a twin. He born with crimson hues that were normal of Tieflings, his brother was born albino. Heart and Diamond only got a few years to know each other before being separated. The two queens of the land were sisters, known as the Red Queen and the White Queen, they split the land in half each ruling over their part with their own set of rules. Seeing these white and red brothers they wanted them as future knights. Their parents, being unable to say no, gave of their sons. Heart going to the Red Queen, and Diamond to the White Queen.

Heart's training began right away, at only six he was already expected to become a part of the pages, who were already ten. He cried a lot in those days, missing his brother, until he was beaten for being weak. He hasn't cried since. His childhood ended the day he came to the castle, forcing him to grow up fast. At age nine he was invited to sit by the Queen's side and witness his first execution. At ten he was promoted to squire and began his combat training. By the age of twelve he had participated in his first execution. When he was fifteen, he was officially knighted and took his place at the Queen's side permanently. His knighting came none too soon, because shortly after war broke out between the two sides of the kingdom.

Heart was expected lead the Queen's forces into battle as her champion, and did so. This war lasted three years before the White Queen convinced the Red Queen to sign a peace treaty. During the last battle of the war, Heart fought the champion of the White Queen and killed them. Only afterwards, after removing the helmet of the other champion, did he realize that the White Queen's champion had been his brother. Something broke in him the day that he killed Diamond. Everything went numb and cold after that.

Several years of tenative peace passed until the warring started again. The White Queen attacked in great force, storming the Red Queen's castle and forcing them to flee. Heart was with the Queen, protecting her in her escape with a handful of other knights and servants. A half dozen or so arrows to the back brought the Red Knight to his knees. He tells himself that the Queen had no choice but to leave him behind. He was captured by the White Queen's forces and tortured for nearly two weeks in an attempt to get information out of him about the location of the Red Queen. He barely managed to escape into the forest, where he was found and nursed back to health by a strange hat wearing man.

Once fully healed, Heart bid the man farewell and left. He knew if he went back to the Red Queen now, he would be punished for failure, so the knight devised a plan. The only way he could go back to the Red Queen was if he brought her the head of her sister. So he would travel, gain strength and allies, and return when he could to take back the castle for his Queen.

Last edited by ColorsOfTheHeart; 11-12-2018 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:06 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Diablo is an original Disney character, and does not qualify as eligible.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:58 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1550
silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers
Kudos StarSignMaster. I have been toying with the same general concept of fairy tales and folk lore as a basis of a campaign. I may or may not get an application together and see what you think, I have a few ideas churning that I think might work.

Would multi-classing be allowed at all? Or do we have/need to stick with a single class based on our character's original source?
Tower graduate #820
Old 11-11-2018, 06:05 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 252
ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarSignMaster View Post
Diablo is an original Disney character, and does not qualify as eligible.
What's wrong with that? He's a neat character.

Well, whatever. Back to square one I guess.