Notices

Old 12-03-2018, 03:29 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 152
StarSignMaster StarSignMaster
That would be possible, yes.

To see how that would work, I would recommend checking out the Lycanthrope section of the Monster Manual.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:58 PM
<insert witty title here>

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 843
Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher
Old 12-03-2018, 05:28 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I'll let you have full control over the wolf (except for the transformations, which will have to be decided by the dice). And I like the idea.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:56 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I didn't realise this would move so slowly. I've decided that I would like a third party to speed things up a little. Same constraints apply, 3-4 players. This won't go wrong, even with work I've had plenty of time to handle both parties.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:35 AM

Tools
User Statistics
Character Submission
right-aligned image
Name: German, 'Alder Tree'Alder / The Huntsman
Which character is it based off?: The Huntsman from Little Red Riding Hood, with connections to the Big Bad Wolf
Class: Battlemaster

Great Weapon Fighting
Fighter
Race: Variant

Folk Hero

Werewolf
Human

Description: Alder is a tall man, with broad shoulders and a narrow waist, clearly physically fit despite being in his late 30's/early 40's. He stands taller than the average human, at an imposing 6'5", and has a very muscular physique. Despite his age, many years of travel and hunting the land have put Alder in good stead, giving him both strength and endurance. He has short brown hair, a large brown beard, blue eyes, with a tanned complexion.

Typically Alder wears a chainshirt, with an assortment of leathers and armor pieces strapped at the shoulders, waist, and arms. He has also adorned his clothing with various trophies from his past hunts, including a lion-fur vest, a large wolf claw necklace, and several teeth and claws of various animals on his belt and gauntlets. Around Alder's waist is a worn leather belt complete with pouches and a strap hook for his greataxe. Across his back is a crossbow and case of bolts within easy reach.

In times of cold or travel, Alder wears a heavy aqua colored and gold trimmed cloak. The thickness of the hooded cloak gives a fair amount of warmth, and keeps the chill from his bones on long treks through harsh winter environments. He also makes use of a backpack to hold his usual traveling gear; mainly a few days worth of rations, a water-skin and a bedroll.

Overall, Alder looks every bit the physically imposing, heroic huntsman of tales throughout the land.

Personality: Alder is a kind, protective man, who tries to do right by others whenever he can. Though not rich by any means, he has no qualms about sharing what little coin he has to feed another, nor would he turn down a request for help. Despite suffering loss as a youth, this has resulted in Alder forming bonds with everyone he meets, as he seeks to replace his lost family with others on his travels. He is under no illusion that any relationships as such would be short-lived, given his consistent travels, but he enjoys seeing others smile and being helped. Yet, despite his kindhearted disposition and willingness to help, there remains a deep anger in the man.

Of those that Alder is close to, they have his utmost loyalty. One individual is a little girl known as Red, who saved and was saved by Alder. Others have achieved similar standings with the man, but few have earned his willingness to do anything to save their life such as she.

More recently, Alder has been deeply troubled. Being a werewolf, he understands that he holds a monster within him, which has vast power, of which he cannot fully control. This scares the man. He knows losing his temper can trigger transformations, so he must continually fight himself to remain calm and controlled. Especially around rude or insulting individuals, of which Alder has found many in towns across Grimmland.

Because of his past, where he killed a witch in revenge, Alder has tried to live a better life. He regrets being labeled a murderer in his own country, perhaps even regrets his actions and would do things differently now, but unfortunately Alder can't turn back time. So he does what he can to alleviate some of the guilt by doing good deeds. Selfish, perhaps, but it's the best he can do in his situation.

SpecificsTrait: When I set my mind to something, I follow through no matter what gets in my way.

Ideal: Respect. People deserve to be treated with dignity and respect.

Bond: I protect those who cannot protect themselves.

Flaw: The people who knew me when I was young know my shameful secret, so I can never go home again.

Backstory: Alder was born to poor farmers, in a small city west of Grimmland. His childhood was uneventful, he worked the land with his father, he learned the ways of crops and plough. When Alder was fifteen, his family farm suffered a curse, which caused the crops for the coming winter stocks to be decimated. The curse was the result of a crazed witch that had once sought shelter, and hadn't been content with the barn and hay offered, instead expecting the poor family to provide room and food from their less-than-ample means.

Coping with the loss as best he could, Alder's father tried to grow anything that might provide food stores for the approaching winter, but to no avail. Not two months after the witch had visited, Alder's father died in a barn fire, the structure bursting into flames seemingly from a leaking oil lamp that caught the hay. Alder was convinced it was the witch, her curse touching the family again.

The winter that followed was hard, the young man forced to work odd jobs and gather what coin he could to provide for himself and his mother. On the eve of the new year, the witch's curse landed a final blow. Alder's mother, who had been collecting water on the nearby frozen lake, fell through a thin patch of ice. Unable to escape she drowned and was never recovered. Alder had no idea what to do, so he packed his meager belongings, sold the farm (at a steep loss, due to the curse potential) and began traveling.

For several years Alder worked as a woodsman, falling in with a logging outfit that harvested the numerous forests of the land. He proved capable, and with consistent pay, food and hard labor, his body grew. By the age of eighteen, Alder was taller than most men, towering over them by several inches. He had also become very physically fit and able from his time moving logs and chopping trunks. During this time, Alder developed a caring, protective personality, as he looked out for - and helped - his friend's families, often sharing pay to assist with feeding their children for winter.

Like a ghost from the past, a familiar sinister figure returned to grace Alder's path. Out working with the logging outfit, there came news of an elderly woman seeking shelter and food from the small community of families. In a rage, Alder sprinted back to the camp, seeing the very same witch that had cursed his family so long ago - and without a second thought, and nothing but a wide-eyed yelp from the (evil) woman, Alder cut her down on the spot with his large axe. The friends and families were shocked, unable to process the murder they had witnessed, and caring little for Alder's attempts at explanation after the fact. Left with little choice, Alder packed his belongings once again, and traveled east, the shame of killing the elderly lady (of whom the loggers didn't believe or know as a witch) following in his wake... as well as a bounty and warrant for his arrest.

The first real mention of Alder in Grimmland was his encounter with a girl in a red hood, where he is often referred to as the huntsman. The name had become an alias, something Alder used to avoid bounty hunters seeking him. As it was, some years after the witch debacle, Alder was ranging and seeking strong wood to gather for a local shop owner. If asked, the huntsman simply said it was the screams and howls that had alerted him, despite others changing the story to state he had been hunting the wolf. In truth, the huntsman had had no knowledge of the wolf prior to their first, and final, encounter.

Most 'know' the story; the huntsman burst into Red's grandmother's house, seeking the large creature's skin for a trophy, and seeing the wolf trying to devour the girl, before killing it with a mighty blow and slicing it's belly open to reveal a living grandma within.

But that's not the truth, merely the happy tale told, and the huntsman rarely speaks of what actually happened to others. In fact, the confrontation with the wolf had been far more brutal, bloody and longer than told. The huntsman had, indeed, heard the screams of Red and had run to help, therein encountering the wolf. But this was no ordinary wolf, it was monstrous and larger than normal, and it took all of the huntsman's strength to drive it away from the girl. During the struggle, the bearded man took numerous hits, slicing open his stomach and back, and was bitten deeply on the forearm. Nearby, Red had seen the the huntsman losing the fight, and thinking quickly she grabbed the firepoker from the chimney hearth and stabbed the wolf from behind, searing its fur and skin, causing it to howl and flee through the window with a crash.

For the next few weeks, the huntsman tried to recover from his injuries, Red helping by caring for the man in her grandmother's house. Sadly the girl's grandma was gone, dead and eaten, and she told the huntsman caring for him had helped deal with the loss following the ordeal. The pair developed a friendship, brought together by similar events that had claimed loved ones, and after another few weeks the huntsman felt he was strong enough to continue on... but it seemed the wolf had other plans, as the creature returned, stalking the pair. This time, however, the wolf was different - it now walked on two powerful legs, hunched and upright, bearing the appearance of a half wolf-half man.

It was on the night of it's next attack there was a full moon.

The huntsman awoke to screams from the bedroom, as he rushed in from the blanket bed near the hearth. The sight on entering would stay with him for the rest of his days, as the werewolf held the unconscious - or dead, he didn't know - Red's form in one large clawed hand. With a rage unbeknownst to him, the huntsman rushed the monster with bare hands, and the pair clashed. This time something was different, the huntsman was stronger, faster, more durable; and as the shimmering glow of the moon filtered through the window onto the bloody fight, the man began to transform! Suddenly, the man's body was covered in thick fur, his body extended in length, his arms grew longer and more powerful, his fingers had razor sharp claws, his legs cracked and bent oddly, resembling those of a wolf, and his face formed a snarling snout with a mouth filled with pointed teeth and deathly yellow eyes.

That was the night the big bad wolf died.

In the aftermath, the huntsman returned to his human form. Weak, but alive. He carried Red all the way to town, five miles away through dense forest, trying to get the girl to healers and help. The entire time the huntsman could barely hear or see signs of life, but he refused to give up. During the rapid trek, the man considered his situation, his new state of existence and the monster that was held within him. Knowing another full moon was on the way, and not wanting to be near Red or others when that happened, the huntsman parted with the girl at the local healer and returned to the forest.

For a long time, the huntsman skirted civilization. He kept moving, not wanting to endanger others, and wanting to avoid any hunters tracking his actions while transformed. He actually became something of a huntsman during this time, actively assisting people in seeking and dispatching monsters to protect their homes or villages, earning a living by ridding areas of troublesome beasts. Throughout, he had a constant struggle to keep the beast contained, the huntsman couldn't deny that he felt the proverbial claws deep within himself, resoundingly scratching, trying to force the monster he held inside to be free...

Last edited by Watcher; 12-05-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:13 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
That looks great. Here’s the forum: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17505. I’ve changed my mind, and am probably going to use a third party instead. That is, if I get any other applications by Sunday. If not, you’ll still be part of Party #2. In the meantime, post Alder’s sheet in the Character Creation thread.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:44 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Sure thing. I'll wait to see how things pan out, just let me know when you want me to start posting!