: +

Notices

Old 12-03-2018, 10:50 AM
Praiser of the Sun

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 314
Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom
@MeredithS: Glad to know I got the gist of our hopeful relationship!

@PenBeast0: Prepare for some jolly conflict if I have to provide you a morale compass. I like the idea.
Current Game:Troubles in Tarn & Running Storm King's Thunder
Old 12-03-2018, 11:43 AM
I'm Super! thx for asking

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 618
Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79
I am wanting to apply with a character that I made for a friend's game. He never ended up running that game, so it would be a chance to play and he'd be perfect. It's a half-elf (half sea elf) from 3rd edition. I based the whole character concept on him having the penalty of Sea Longing from 3rd edition, but since it's not a hard rule any more, I'm fine with it just being a RP required self-imposed "penalty".

Application
right-aligned image
Name: Link Agascar
Race: Half-Elf (Aquatic)
Class: Ranger (Hunter) ~ I am fine with the PHB version of Ranger
Background: Sailor
Alignment: True Neutral

Personality:Link lives two lives; one at sea, and the other on dry land. Being a half-aquatic elf, Link does not like to be on land for more than three days. He longs to be at sea, but is cursed to never fully be a part of the sea as he is not able to breathe underwater as his aquatic elf kin are able to. His sea longing will make him seem distant and unfriendly, and he also can get sidetracked easily and not be able to focus. Trapped with this duality, his personality is rather undeveloped and he can come off and bland or coarse, even among his closest friends and family.

While aboard ship, or after a swim, Link beams with energy and is very outgoing. His fellow sailors know this about his personality and often joke about "the madness" when they are on land. They know he will not do anything too drastic, however, since he is such an even-keel fellow.

Appearance:Link appears to be a normal, male half-elf. He isn't able to grow facial hair, but he has a full head of black hair that is coarse and could be mistaken for seaweed when he is in the water. His skin color is of caucasian hue, but in the dark or when underwater his skin becomes slightly blue. Link isn't ashamed of his aquatic elf heritage, but if someone comments on this color change, he attributes it to having a weak stamina and he gets cold quickly.

History:Link is the son of a sailor who was rescued at sea by an aquatic elven woman. His father was kept in an undersea cavern that had breathable air. When his wounds had finally healed, Link's father was taken back to land by the elves. One of the elves had grown attached to him, though, and she stayed behind and they lived together in a port city for two years. Even though they lived near the sea, Link's mother eventually couldn't stand living on land any longer and left Link and his father.

Growing up, Link was always causing problems in the town and would escape his duties to go swimming in the sea. His father still had the profession of a sailor, so when Link was older he joined a crew as an apprentice. Finally in his element, Link became a reliable sailor and capable combatant.
RP SampleSensing the winds change, Link opened his eyes and looked up to the skies from his perch in the crow's nest; Their voyage had proven to be smooth sailing so far, so the half-elf accidentally dozed off. He shielded his eyes as he watched some birds flying by and took note of the cloud coloration above the ship. They were white and billowy, so no threat of a storm today. Standing up, Link looked down at the main deck and took note of the crew. He nodded in satisfaction to see them talking to each other and a few were woodworking or practicing some of their musical instruments. Directing his gaze toward the bow of the ship, he saw their resident soothsayer, Simon, fiddling with some arcane materials. Curious about what possible divinations the wizard would come up with today, Link called down to someone to take over his shift; he had been falling asleep anyways, so there wasn't a need to jeapordize the ship and crew.

After switching shifts with the sailor who relieved him, Link climbed down the ship's rigging and headed toward the bow of the ship. "Oi, Simon, how goes? Have the gods given you any insights for our journey?" The half-elf pushed around some of the materials that he knew weren't part of the spell, just to tease Simon. Link was more playful at sea, and his companions usually had to suffer his foolery.
Crew MemberLink's father is now retired from a life at sea, but one of his proteges - a human man named Snoke Riggard - has signed on to keep an eye on his son. Snoke is a huge man, bustling with muscle earned by a hard life of toil. He has several tattoos and prefers to walk around without a shirt. Even though he is a family friend, Snoke doesn't suffer Link's foolery well and the two tend to avoid each other while on ship.

Last edited by Superstrength79; 12-04-2018 at 12:34 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:36 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 167
penbeast0 penbeast0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrom View Post
@MeredithS: Glad to know I got the gist of our hopeful relationship!

@PenBeast0: Prepare for some jolly conflict if I have to provide you a morale compass. I like the idea.
Looking forward to it. You threw me for a bit of a loop because I had written the application for August who hangs out by the waterfront looking for trouble. Then you posted before I did and I had to rewrite/edit though it still works similarly.

Curious to see what Sam does with Dagoo.

. . . .

Nice! A whole RP multiparagraph interaction without a word of dialogue. Enjoyed it; glad I didn't kill you.

Last edited by penbeast0; 12-04-2018 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:44 PM
Chocolate Chips

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2015
In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix
  • Name: Sarah Starshine
  • Race: Half-Elf
  • Class: 2/1Sorceress/Rogue
  • Background: Baby -> Cabin Girl to the Captain -> Pirate
  • Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
  • Personality: Sarah knows she's good looking, and that most men will fall over dumb to make her happy. When on shore leave, she loves nothing more than going to the tavern and throwing back drinks with the other mates of her crew, and messing with some local, regardless of gender, for a bit of play. Sometimes this leads to a fun night. Other times... not.

When Sarah's on the ship though, all play is over, as she takes the working of any ship she's on seriously. This includes never bedding any of those she's working with. When she was younger, and foolish, this led to nothing but pain and misery for all involved. From then on, she has believed in the sanctity of the ship and its crew.
  • Appearance: At 5'5", she's not too tall. And with raven black hair and dark... some say blue, others say green... eyes, Sarah catches the eyes of many men, and a few women. Her smile can entrance most of them, and she always seems to know exactly what to say to make them want to stay and help her.
  • Her Story: Not much is known about Sarah's parentage. One morning, while out at sea, Captain Wohde found a little stowaway hiding among the barrels of rations below deck.

At first he considered throwing her overboard, giving the sharks a small treat. But something in her eyes stopped him, and he adopted her, giving her the name she now owns. Sarah was raised on board, learning how to work the ship just like any sailor, and soon she was besting a good number of them. But she mostly worked as the Captain's cabin-girl.

As for the crew, the old crew quickly learned that you didn't mess with the girl. At first just because of her daddy. But later, she showed she could more than handle most of them in a fair fight, and more than that if they started fighting dirty.

Sarah never forgot the kindness Daddy show'd her that first day, and he's never regretted bringing her aboard the Belle of Calim since.

Years, and many adventures, later, The Belle was getting resupplied and a little repair in the port of Anchoril, and Sarah once again made her way to the local bar to test her luck. This time, fate would see her unlucky. She'd caught herself a right fat fish, and happily deposited his clothes (oh the horrors of what she'd seen, getting those off!) on the back of some nearby drunken sailor making love to a barrel of sea monkeys. So it was that she was too busy looking over her latest find to notice as she approached, but the Belle was no longer docked.

Sarah looked around, fearfully. Perhaps she'd walked too far? She noticed some of the timbers daddy had ordered, still waiting to be brought aboard and sitting right next to where the ship had been. "What the..." Sarah quickly turned and grabbed the nearest sailor she could find. "What happened to my ship!?" she nearly screamed into his face, fear helping her ignore the stench of puke and grog on his breath.

At first pained by the loud noise coming from the woman, he wordlessly shrugs, then shoves her away and continues on toward his own whatever. For days she waited, investigating and hoping the Belle would return. It never did. To survive, Sarah was forced to set out on her own, still looking for any clue as to what happened to Daddy.
  • RP Sample: It had been a calm, downright boring last few days, and the crew of the Harpies Revenge were getting restless. And of course, when the crew gets restless, and without anyone else to take out their frustrations on, they usually turn on each other, often going after those they perceive to be the weakest among them.

Sarah sat against the railing, near the main mast, sharpening one of her daggers. She was trying hard to ignore the layabouts and incorrigibles, when she heard something that she couldn't ignore.

"Hey, Blue Boy! What's got you so sad?" One-Eye Evart mocked the new guy. Sarah rolled her eyes, amazed that Evart thought he was better than any one. But, she figures that when your that dumb, you have to try some way to prop yourself up.

~ Link. Sarah remembered as she began to stand. ~ That's his name. She had been watching him ever since he came aboard, and she could tell that he was someone this ship needed more of, a good sailor. But just as she was about to say something in his defense, Link defended himself.

"You must be looking out the wrong eye, Evart." Link says, a smile on his face, even as he flicks the one-eyed pirates glass eye. "I'm in a great mood, and loving the fresh sea air." He then pats the old sailor on the shoulder, and keeps walking.

Sarah stays out of it, but is ready in case of trouble, but trouble never comes. Evart smartly moves on and finds something else to entertain himself.

After a brisk walk, she catches up to Link, walking up beside him. "Good to have you aboard, Link. When we get back in to port, how'd you like to share a drink?" she looks over and smiles at the other Half-Elf. "As friends." she puts in, not wanting there to be any misunderstanding of her intent.

"That'd be nice, uh... Miss Starshine?" Link says, unsure of what to call her.

Sarah gives a half-shrug. "Sarah will be fine." she says, as they begin their friendship.
  • Crew Member: Wendelin Weaver - Seamstress, and Repairer of Nets - Sarah has spent many years at sea, both aboard the Belle, and most recently on many other ships, serving as an over-experienced part of the crew. She has met many people, some useful, others not.

But when she saw the state that the sails of The Skipper were in, she knew of no better person to make them seaworthy again, than Wendelin. The old widow could work miracles with any cloth. And she was one of the best at repairing nets and ropes. Sarah knows that many will overlook the importance of a good seamstress on a ship, until the sails need to be fixed, while out at sea.

Last edited by In the Mix; 12-04-2018 at 01:49 AM.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:45 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 652
Citizen Sam Citizen Sam Citizen Sam Citizen Sam Citizen Sam Citizen Sam
Phew, finished by the skin of my teeth.

Dagoo was tough to write about, I hope I did the big guy justice!
Old 12-04-2018, 02:09 AM
Chocolate Chips

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2015
In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix

Last edited by In the Mix; 12-04-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:20 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 693
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
This definitely looks interesting! Apologies for being so late with my application, hopefully you will still consider it. Application's finished- please let me know what you think! Regardless of whether I get in or not, any and all feedback would be appreciated !

Eglath Kothagee-VorioName: Eglath "Lawscorn" Kothagee-Vorio
Race: Goliath
Class: Fighter (Eldritch Knight)
Background: Sailor (pirate variant)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Personality: Above all, Eglath is looking for a place where he belongs- where his peers respect and accept him. While he looks and acts the part of a warrior, his past has very much affected him, leaving him insecure and awkward around others. Among the Goliaths, he was considered too weak to live- and among the elves who temporarily adopted him, he was scorned for his relative lack of sophistication. Every other society he lived with since has found reason to hate, fear, or ridicule the young Goliath. This negativity took root in the young warrior's mind, convincing him that there is always a flaw to find in his actions. At his best, he is humble; at his worst, he is wracked by indecision.

As a result, he is genuinely appreciative of those who do show him kindness, to the point of being naive. After all, there are few who would sign on with a pirate captain for the promise of friendship and kindness. Still, the life on the open sea suited the mountain dweller- enjoying the comraderie of a crew who judged him on his merits rather than by some silly ideal, the far corners of Nymera within his reach.

Appearance: Eglath looks pale and sickly for a Goliath, his skin resembling white marble- complete with greenish veins by his neck and temples. His many scars, earned in fights with both wild animals and fellow warriors, remind onlookers that he is made of flesh and blood after all. Standing six and a half feet tall, he is small for a Goliath, and despite his pronounced muscles he would still be considered lean and scrawny among them. True to his self-conscious nature, Eglath prefers drab, unremarkable clothing, designed to be practical rather than pretty.

His deep brown eyes are always darting from side to side, scanning his surroundings for threats. Despite this nervous behaviour, Eglath outwardly looks calm and stoic otherwise- learned behaviour to keep from drawing attention to himself.

History: Born in the icy Frostlands to the far north, Eglath was born not exactly the runt of the litter, but close. The only thing saving him from that particularly reviled status- and a short drop off a high cliff- was the fact his twin brother bore a marked deformity, making Eglath look healthy by comparison. Nonetheless, while the young Goliath did not share his unfortunate brother's crooked spine, he was still weaker than his peers. In Goliath society, where only the fittest survive and everybody is expected to pull their weight, he could count on little but the scorn of his contemporaries, and the disappointment of his elders. Whatever task he and the other younglings were given, he would finish last- and never quite in the way his elders expected him to, using guile rather than the brute strength and resilience respected by his fellow Goliaths.

When Eglath reached adulthood, the elders told him in no uncertain terms that he was expected to go and survive in the wilderness for no less than a year. The goal of this excercise was to prove his worth to the tribe, or die trying. Unsurprisingly, his elders counted on him doing the latter. Eglath did as he was told, but game for hunting was scarce, and the land unforgiving. Yet one night, as he shivered underneath a bearskin near the meagre campfire he had managed to fashion from what little wood he could find, his salvation came.

Eglath had unwittingly stumbled far enough down the Aaradale mountains to reach the tree tops, and in that pine forest a tribe of elves made their home, far away from the politics of the Ascendancy and the zeal of the Green pact. The Goliaths and elves had long been rivals, but one of their kind- a mage by the name of Naivara Siannodel- had wandered into his camp, looking for material components for her spells. While initially wary of one another, the elf could not help but take pity on the freezing Goliath, and Eglath was too weak from exhaustion and hunger to refuse a helping hand.

Because of Naivara's aid, Eglath survived. From her he learned that there were other ways to survive than those taught by the elders- where they shrugged off wounds caused by claws and swords, he could wear armour. Where they relied on brute strength alone, martial skill and a wide array of steel weapon could give him an edge. And where they fought with unrelenting fury, arcane magics could help him overcome them. Goliaths looked down on such things as temporary benefits which could be lost, but Naivara taught him differently. She was happy to teach these skills to the Goliath, and in return Eglath repaid her kindness as her servant. The other elves of Naivara's village regarded him as little better than a beast of burden, but Eglath didn't mind- after all, for once he was being valued as the strongest. That the elves insulted his intelligence and lack of proper manners meant little to him.

A year passed, and Eglath returned to his tribe, hoping they would finally accept him now that his trials were complete. Instead, the elders reacted with disgust- rather than complete the rite of passage as intented, Eglath had accepted the help of outsiders, and now relied heavily on things which could be taken away. Worse, he had ridiculed their ritual- for which he was given the name "Lawscorn". He was exiled from his home, never to return.

Eglath was furious- he hated the tribe for their treatment of him. He did not return to the elves- there, too, he was an outsider. Instead he walked down the mountains, in search of a new home. He had a long road ahead of him. The humans and half-orcs of the Frostlands, usually happy to accept a Goliath's aid during wartime, were unwilling to harbour him in times of peace. Further south, in the Shrouded Marsh and the Inthyrian plains, he encounted people who had been victims of Goliath raids, chasing him away at the business end of torches and pitchforks. And even further south, Therists prosecuted him for his knowledge of the arcane, and for his lack of faith in their god.

Eventually Eglath ended up in Dawnport. While he still needed to hide himself from Therists, the sailors in port were a more pragmatic bunch, seeing potential in the young Goliath rather than something to hate. Many of them were criminals who did not share the zeal of the average Therist, and before long Eglath found a place aboard a privateer captain's ship, the Hellish Princess. There he learned the trade of sailor, and the crew respected his skills as a warrior.

It did not last, however. What began as a promising voyage of raiding and plundering soon turned into a streak of near-losses, and when the Hellish Princess limped into port, Eglath decided too many of his friends had died to make the next voyage worthwhile. He deserted, and journeyed inland.

Fortunately, he found himself in a particularly lawless region of Nymera, where he worked as a mercenary for hire. Yet the wanderlust in each Goliath's blood could not hold him there for long, and the life of a privateer had seen him grow accustomed to rum, coin, and freedom. Eventually, he found his place in a party of like-minded adventurers, and happily travelled with them for a time. When they announced their plans to visit Dawnport, however, Eglath only reluctantly agreed to accompany them. The memories of Therists hunting him were still fresh in his mind, and he planned to leave the city again as fast as he could. Perhaps, if they could obtain a ship of some kind...

RP Sample: 'What happened to my ship!?' the lady yelled to his face. Eglath blinked, frowning with confusion. He was too hungover to deal with this right now, his head feeling like it was ready to burst, even before the woman started shrieking not two inches from his face. Shaking his head in frustration, he shrugged before pushing himself free of her. 'How should I know,' he mumbled as he walked off, after making sure he was out of earshot. For some reason, though, he looked back over his shoulder. The woman still stood there, looking out to sea as if her ship would suddenly reappear. He didn't know what, but something told him he couldn't just leave her. Perhaps it was the fact that she'd been left behind, abandoned by her people- something Eglath could relate to. Maybe it was just because she had pretty face. Maybe he was just too drunk to know better. Sighing, the goliath turned around, sauntering back to her as quickly as the rum clouding his mind would allow.

'So,' he started, his speech remarkably unslurred. 'You've been marooned here, then?' He shrugged, looking around. 'Not a bad place for it, all things considered. I'm sure you'll find a new crew to join.'

The woman only looked at him after he'd finished talking, tearing her eyes away from the sea with an annoyed look. 'What? No! They'll be back, you'll see! Probably just didn't realize I hadn't made it back on board yet. They'll be back in the morning.'

The Goliath squinted, his head reeling at her annoyed, sharp tone. 'Alright,' he started, hoping the interruption would make the noise stop long enough for him to clear his head. 'That can happen. Still, you might want to prepare yourself for when that doesn't happen. People have a way of letting people down,' he scoffed.

'Well, that's not the case here,' she bit back, turning back to the sea. 'That crew is like my family, ok? The captain is family. They wouldn't just leave me.'

Eglath nodded, despite disagreeing with her. Not like family never turned on you, he thought bitterly. He was about to leave her to her vigil, but something kept him from leaving her just yet. 'Just in case they don't,' he started, earning himself another annoyed look. 'I'll come looking for you here, in the morning. If you want, I can put in a good word for you with my captain- maybe he has a job for you. We'll be in port for a few more days,' he finished.

'That won't be necessary,' she replied with absolute certainty in her voice. Eglath looked back for a moment, then shrugged and walked away. After taking a few steps, he heard her call out to him. 'Hey, big guy!' He turned around, seeing her look back, suddenly not as sure of herself. 'Thanks,' she offered, a sad smile on her lips. 'Thanks for caring. Not a lot of people in this city would.' Eglath answered her words with a simple nod. Now he realized why he'd wanted to help her. 'I was abandoned by my family, once,' he confessed. 'I could have used help back then. I guess I thought you might want some help, too.'

She smiled and, after a moment, nodded. 'Name's Sarah, by the way,' she offered. 'Sarah Starshine.' The goliath now fully turned to face her. 'Eglath Kothagee-Vorio,' he introduced himself. 'Egg, to friends. Be safe, Sarah Starshine. I hope you find your family again.'

Crew Member: Eldon "Fnipper" Beren, a forest gnome born in the service of an elven household. Despite the "free" status gnomes enjoy, it has taken Eldon decades to escape his masters, who imprisoned him not with chains but with low wages and a life of systematic bullying, meant to scare him into not abandoning his elven overlords. Eventually Eldon overcame his fear and fled, but he is still looking over his shoulder every day in case the elves come back to collect him. Eglath immediately sympathised with the young gnome, and upon hearing his story in Dawnport, decided to hire Eldon's services. While the gnome was physically unsuited for a life as a sailor, he was smart, and would be able to help out with the administrative tasks aboard the ship- after all, every crew needs someone capable of tallying and selling their loot, and who better to appraise such wares than one who has lived among the fineries of the elves?

(I do hope I got Sarah's part right!)

Last edited by DemonSlayer; 12-04-2018 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Adding in RP example
Old 12-04-2018, 05:59 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 200
MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS
@everyone Good Luck, there are some outstanding applications in here. Its been fun to read them all and watch how our character also interact with the RP sample.
"I like to watch them. They fill me with...joy. The first time I felt it I thought I was going to die. I said to the bull, I must have them. I must have ALL of them! All there are! For nothing makes me happy...but their shining...and their grace. And so the red bull caught them."
Old 12-04-2018, 05:59 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 652
Citizen Sam Citizen Sam Citizen Sam Citizen Sam Citizen Sam Citizen Sam
Quote:
Originally Posted by penbeast0 View Post
Looking forward to it. You threw me for a bit of a loop because I had written the application for August who hangs out by the waterfront looking for trouble. Then you posted before I did and I had to rewrite/edit though it still works similarly.

Curious to see what Sam does with Dagoo.

. . . .

Nice! A whole RP multiparagraph interaction without a word of dialogue. Enjoyed it; glad I didn't kill you.
Ha! I was worried I'd overstepped my bounds with that one. Glad you enjoyed it.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:07 PM
Praiser of the Sun

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 314
Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom
There are so many good applications on here its ridiculous. I hope everyone crew members at least get some screen time.
Current Game:Troubles in Tarn & Running Storm King's Thunder
Old 12-05-2018, 09:25 AM

Tools
User Statistics
Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79
Does anyone know if the players have been chosen yet? Or the method of announcement?
Old 12-05-2018, 11:46 AM
The knight who says "ni"

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1178
Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin Vicorin
Applications closed.

Players have not been chosen yet. I’ll review everything and make my selections in the coming days.

Thank you all for your interest. Lots of good applications in here. Choosing will be difficult.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:55 PM
Anointed

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1198
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
Good luck all! May the best Warlock win
Characters(Game): Gil Monroy(Freedom's Flight)/Aimi Kaoruko(Fleet Command: UFS Dresden)/Rain(The Wild Bunch)/Spinal Tap(The Third Great Matrix Crash)/Amya Falone(Storm King's Thunder)/Angus McDougal(The Ultimate Dungeon)
Old 12-05-2018, 06:58 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk View Post
Good luck all! May the best Warlock win
I mean.. it might end up being only warlocks? You never know lol
Old 12-05-2018, 08:16 PM
Anointed

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1198
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
That would actually be cool! But if our patrons are all different, would they urge use to knock the enemy Warlocks off? Or am I just generalizing the potential conflict between demon, old one, celestial, and fey to much?
Characters(Game): Gil Monroy(Freedom's Flight)/Aimi Kaoruko(Fleet Command: UFS Dresden)/Rain(The Wild Bunch)/Spinal Tap(The Third Great Matrix Crash)/Amya Falone(Storm King's Thunder)/Angus McDougal(The Ultimate Dungeon)