RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Open Roleplaying > Iron DM Stadium > Iron DM 2018 > Archive
twitter google facebook
4 2 5
... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 02:06 AM
I'm a Helper!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14496
Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom
Round 3 Match 1: Inem vs. Jim Faindel

Round 3 Match 1: Inem vs. Jim Faindel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Herald
right-aligned image
The Herald approaches Jim Faindel first, emerging from one of the plethora of passages in the Iron DM complex. “My sympathies, you seem to have caught the fancy of the Chairman, the judges, and the crowd.” Gesturing towards one particular door, the Herald leads Jim Faindel down a series of passage deeper into the Iron DM complex. Finally they arrive into yet another arena. This time, row upon row of iron slabs line the edges of the arena. Upon them are inscribed the names of those who had come in the before times of Iron DM. PaintedBear. Robison. Dinkleberg. Agwolf. The first amongst many more.

Leaving JimFaindel to survey those who came before, the Herald fetches the current champion, Inem, to the Iron Graveyard. “You both have earned a place in this graveyard by reaching the semi-finals. One of you shall be interred here to rest until next year. The impeccable judges:
  • Squeak
  • Bhelogan
  • Sassafrass
  • and Possibly More!
Will decide who is subjected to the final round, and who can rest here in the Iron Graveyard. Not that you can ever truly escape now. It is up to you with your usage of the following ingredients:”
  • A Harpy with an innocent smile
  • A Barbarian Seamstress
  • A Sunken Cathedral
  • Reversed Gravity
  • Breaking a Bad Habit
The bonus ingredients for this round are:
  • A Parrot with a Pet Pirate
  • "Flametongue"
Let the Dungeon Mastering....BEGIN!!
Rules
  • You are to write an adventure using the five items / concepts above. You can also use any of the bonus ingredients you wish to. All rules found here are to be followed.
  • The guidelines for the Judges' scoring can be found here.
  • The entry is to be no longer than 2,500 words, which includes *everything* you put into the post. Judges are instructed to stop reading at that time, or to deduct points if you go over. The use of a spell check and word counter is highly recommended.
  • Please make a simple post in this thread when you first read it, to let the judges know have seen it, and that you are on board. It doesn't have to be anything more than "read!", or something like that! Do not edit this post after making it; when it comes time to post your entry, do that in a second, separate post.
  • You have 7 days from the time this post is made to complete and submit your entry (in a new post; don't edit your first post!). It is not expected that you use all this time - the extra time has been given to ensure that, no matter what your timezone, your schedule, your sleep habits, your work or student life, or emergencies that could crop up, you should have ample time to complete your entry. Posting when you are done, and not waiting until the end, is also recommended, and rewarded.
  • You should post your entry into this thread within the generous timeframe, and ensure it is secreted (to the above judges) and spoilerbuttoned. Feel free to also PM your judges to let them know you have posted, if you wish. (DO NOT PM them your entry - just let them know your entry is submitted). If your post is not made within the 7 days, you will be automatically disqualified. If you have issues, be sure to PM or hvg3akaek at gmail dot comemail hvg3akaek *before* your round is closed.
  • Once posted, do not edit your entry. The use of the "preview" function is thus also highly recommended.

Last edited by hvg3akaek; 11-19-2018 at 03:23 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:51 PM
Bad Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20937
Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem
And so Inem enters the next arena. Once again. So many battles. He is still examining the Emerald he was handed for his victory in the last match, wondering whether it actually serves any purpose. Will it help him remember his last opponent, who fought valiantly? Distracted, it takes Inem a second to realize this arena is different than any he has been in so far. Rows upon rows of iron slabs. And the names, they ring a bell, very faintly. They had come long before him, but he remembers he has seen them before, and he knows what they mean. Which also means he knows what he might see if he were to continue to look at the names on more of the slabs. Would his own name be there, he wonders. Multiple times? Would the Herald's old name be there? Would the name of the one who defeated him an eternity ago be there? The answer to all those questions is: Probably. And yet, the answer doesn't matter, so Inem doesn't go searching for it. Instead, he acknowledges his opponent with a brief nod for good luck, and then falls back into the ever so often repeating routine that he is still not sure he will ever be able to break out of: He looks at the list of ingredients, and his mind goes to work, melding them into the shape of his next construction. "Yes", he says. "Now you are separate, but I will make you one."
Old 11-22-2018, 07:07 AM
Bad Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20937
Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem

Last edited by hvg3akaek; 11-25-2018 at 08:55 PM. Reason: revealing entry!
Old 11-22-2018, 09:34 PM
I encourage peace

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2466
Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel
Round 3He had finished. In the nick of time and with sweat dripping from his brow, but he had managed to create something worth presenting to the judges. But something was not right. As Jim looked to the other site of the arena, once more his heart felt heavy, as yet another competitor had left in silence, with only an abandoned talisman to prove there had ever been anyone at all.

As he was shown to the next field of battle, he couldn't help but to feel cheated somehow. But these feelings were not to last long, as the iron crown atop Inem's head came into view, the path taken did not matter anymore. Now, with those who had fallen before as his witnesses, he would face the champion.

Whether it had been blind luck, a cruel fate or his just reward, all Jim knew was that one of their names would be engraved on the iron slabs after the dust settled.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:44 AM
I encourage peace

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2466
Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel

Last edited by hvg3akaek; 11-25-2018 at 08:55 PM. Reason: revealing entry!
Old 11-26-2018, 04:22 PM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 30203
Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak
The first of the verdicts is rendered.

And my vote goes to

Last edited by Ion2Atom; 12-04-2018 at 12:33 AM.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:24 PM
Man・Earth・Sky

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 49679
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
Sick though he was, he ran with it. Reading over both entries, circles under his eyes making him look like a shaved raccoon, the judge tapped on the table as he read, before taking down hasty notes. Once done, and final numbers tallied, he clicks his tongue. "Some minor surprises, but really I was a little surprised with this one. I felt like a lot of these ingredients could have been used to greater effect. Alas, they were not; some of them were even downright cliche! But, I never hold a cliche against anyone. Most of the time." He looks at the two, and sighs. "And neither of you decided to bribe the judges with rum? That's the worst part." He shrugs. "Next."

Last edited by Ion2Atom; 12-04-2018 at 12:32 AM.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:58 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16346
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan

Last edited by Ion2Atom; 12-04-2018 at 12:32 AM.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:31 AM
I'm a Helper!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14496
Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom Ion2Atom
The misty form of the Herald rises from the iron graveyard like some sort of dark ghost intent on haunting the contestants forever more. The air darkens as his form materializes into being. Holding an iron slab akin to those that comprise row after row within this very arena the Herald proclaims, "I have received the final word as prescribed and transcribed from the Judges on high. Long have they labored to ween the wheat from the chaff. One of your names is on this very slab, and though it will grant your eventual rest."

"Inem today you are banished to the finals once again. The chairmen and the judges seem to love to torture you; not that I can blame them. Jim Faindel, you have lost this match, but in deference to your accomplishment you may Do this in OOC, or we can make the selection on your behalf.Select the stone you cede to your opponent." The Herald lays the great iron slab down onto the ground with Jim Faindel's name neatly engraved into its metallic surface.

"However, you shall not be released from the bonds of this competition so easily... I warned you before. For those who enter the semi-finals The match for 3rd place awaits!escape is no longer so simple as a single defeat. You both have fought hard, and I encourage you to continue to do so for the pleasure of the crowd. It is likely the only solace you will find, for the judges won't give you any."

Gesturing towards the door, the Herald indicates that Jima Faindel should precede him down the passage. Looking back at Inem he states, "I will return for you in due time Former Champion. First we will stir the crowd with just a bit more blood!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Record
Despite a hard fought battle, Inem wins through the first match of the Semi-Finals to advance to the final round of Iron DM!

Closed Thread