it's all fun and games

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 26
FungeonMaster
Vaeridia Rising

Game NameVaeridia Rising

Game SystemDnD 5e

ThemeOpen exploration/adventure/intrigue/shenanigans, as determined by players/characters

FlavourEmphasis on role-playing, character development, story, whatever is most interesting... not a hack & slash dungeon crawl

Campaign Context in BriefNearly a century has passed since the New World was discovered by agents of the Vaeridian Empire. Despite numerous obstacles--from piracy on the seas and shores to dangerous wildlife, to say nothing of the continent's hostile native inhabitants--the Empire has gained a secure foothold in the New World and established a handful of settlements. Imperial subjects have begun to bring the Light of Civilization to this savage land. Although not unopposed, they remain ever faithful that Vaerid, God of Civilization, will ensure their success, as He always does.

Meanwhile, back in the Old World, where magic is rare and folks are superstitious, Vaeridia has captured imaginations far and wide. Tales of witches and wildfolk, of monsters and long-forgotten magics, are on the tongues of every Imperial noble and commoner alike. The truth of the New World, though, runs much deeper, much darker, and much older than any of their fanciful stories would suggest. And some truths are best left undiscovered.

This Is Where You Come InYou've found yourself in the city of New Beacon. It's a well-established Imperial settlement, intended to serve as an example of what Vaerid offers the New World: law and order, peace and security, beauty and artistry. However you arrived here, however long you've been here, and however you feel about the Empire's presence in Vaeridia, you've managed to capture the attention of the local Baroness. She is, apparently, putting together a small expedition to retrieve an artifact sacred to the Savages of the New World, something that will bolster the Empire's efforts to expand its reach over this dark land. Perhaps you're motivated by duty, or perhaps it's the promise of payment or notoriety that drives you. Perhaps you're driven by something else entirely. Regardless, you've accepted an invitation to meet with the Baroness to learn more, if for no other reason than to satisfy your own curiosity.

Campaign Setting in Detail

The Nitty-Gritty

Apps submitted to date:
PlayerCharacterRaceClassApp Status
HandsOfBlueWhitheras EdevilHumanFighterComplete
ellieEnarie of the BastarniHumanBardWIP
Dirty MagicGorzha VohzgmiirHumanWarlockComplete
Strange2099GarrokHalf-OrcWizardComplete
Haunted PandaVaretteAasimarSorcerer (Divine Soul)WIP
ColorsOfTheHeartSimon WinterfieldHumanMonk (Way of the Four Elements)Complete
WatcherAzymandias TwillHumanBardWithdrawn
saratek187Malak RothHumanWarlock (Hexblade)Complete
NasrithKava DelmirevDragonborn (Silver)Cleric (of the Forge)Complete
Tommyk382Duncan MaddocksHumanRanger (UA Variant)Complete
Solid SnekLucius CarmineHalf-ElfWarlock/SorcererComplete
danabMaeva AshaxeDwarf (Mountain)Rogue (Thief)Complete
shaunaWisteria ClearwaterHumanRangerComplete
MeredithSLauralie MaddocksHumanPaladin (Oath of the Crown)Complete

Application Deadline is 11:59PM EST on 9 December 2018. But if you need more time, just ask!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vaeridia Map.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	78398  

Last edited by FungeonMaster; 12-04-2018 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:06 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 543
Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099
Hi! Amazing concepts for your Sandbox world!

Should I imagine the ‘savages’ to be analogous to the Native Americans of the ‘New World’, which most of us are familiar with here on Earth?

And just to be clear, your Old World does contain all the races in PHB (including Halfling and Orc/Half-Orc)?
Old 11-22-2018, 09:55 AM
it's all fun and games

Tools
User Statistics
FungeonMaster
@Strange: Yeah, more or less analogous to Indigenous peoples in North America, or the Mongols of the Steppe in Asia. That pretty much captures it.

And yes, halflings and orcs/half-orcs are fair game. Although orcs would fall under the you-hafta-make-a-pretty-good-case-for-it category.

Thanks for your interest!
Old 11-22-2018, 10:46 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
HandsOfBlue
My submission for your review. I hope he makes it, but either way it was definitely a fun challenge to make the attempt!

Name: Whitheras Edevil

Race: Human

Class: Fighter

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral.

Deity: Vaerid.

Appearance and Personality: Whitheras Edevil is the type of statuesque man that tends to be surrounded by young, adoring women eager to wed a tall, strapping young warrior. With eyes the color of an evening lake and a full head of blond hair sitting atop a form chiseled from stone, it is a rare event that he is not trying to escape an intended marriage to someone intent on breaking him of his wanderer's ways. Even-tempered, patient, and with a charisma that borders the desirable and the childlike (but not in a creepy way), Edevil has an adventurous streak that drives him to seek out and explore new lands and peoples whenever he is able. While he has been paid for his work, he tends to care more about the excitement of discovery and the thrill of combat than the lust for gold. He believes strongly in group achievement, as the greatest successes come from collaboration of effort.

Background: An affable man and a born leader, Whitheras "Quick Whit" Edevil is a man too hard bitten by wanderlust to settle down. Born to simple farmers in the Old World, his parents sacrificed much to ensure young Whit received a proper education. His parents took ill and died while he was still a youth, so, at the age of only sixteen summers, Whitheras Edevil set off to make a name for himself. Being the strong and fanciful lad that he was, Whit tried his hand at mercenary work and found that he not only had the talent for it, but he loved it. Surviving, and even triumphing, through several minor skirmishes in various territory wars, he developed an all-consuming fascination with the discovery of new peoples and lands...and wreaking absolute havoc in them. Always loving to learn, even about somewhat less destructive things, Edevil educated himself on the intricacies of sailing and trade during a brief stint on a pirate vessel. Today, Whitheras stands a man of many talents and a single, overriding passion: to find the most savage regions of the world, tame them, and move on to do it all again...for the Empire, of course.

RP Sample: "So, funny story, right? I remember this one campaign where we were fighting the strangest people. They had some kind of weird obsession with fashion. In everything. Funny hats, comically pronounced moustachioes, curved swords...actually, the curved sword thing was interesting. See, one of them told me that the curve actually lets the blade travel along the same point for a longer time as you swing it! So, basically, it cuts deeper because it slices instead of...oh, right, the story. So, as I was saying, I was having a really good week. No less than three enemy champions had challenged me to a duel and I was three for three, if you take my meaning. Heads, that is. You know how it is. The paymasters always want to short you if you don't show them proof of a kill. Personally, I prefer heads: built-in carry mechanisms, easy to recognize, smaller than a tabard and lighter than a shield, but I digress. I brought in the heads to collect my fee. I was definitely expecting a decent sum, but these particular heads apparently belonged to some very important bodies because the Prince we were fighting for called me into his hall and made me do some kind of ceremony where, at the end, he named me 'His Majesty's Royal Manslayer'. Weird guy. Had a thing for impaling his enemies on spikes. But he even gave me a horse and my own heraldic horse-blanket, so good day! Crazy, right? It gets better.

So, the very next day I get shot right there with an arrow. Right there, yes. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Worst pain of my life. Hand to Vaerid, I would not make this up, the bastard got me right in the man parts. It was just a graze, but I wouldn't have believed the greatest healer in the world if he'd have told me that then. As I'm lying there on the field clutching myself in a pathetic heap, the enemy surrounded me, tied me up, and carted me off to a ship where I spent the next blasted week chained to the inside of the hold, half-drowning against the leaky wall and soiling myself. Not the most comfortable experience. The ship's captain did have his doctor do me the favor of plugging my own leak though; he didn't want to lose merchandise. Yes, sirrah, that's right. I finally get off this awful excuse for a boat just to be dusted off and marched into a slave market. Yes, I am completely serious. They sold me to some distant relative of one of the funny-hat guys I killed, or maybe he was related to all of them, I don't know. Doesn't matter. So now I'm being walked on a leash behind an ugly man on a horse for three days to this even uglier man's personal estate. Then HE ships me out, and I swear it was on the same stupid boat, to his mistress on this little island hideaway so I could be her manservant. Now here's where it turns unexpectedly. No kidding, Vaerid strike me dead if I lie, SHE FELL IN LOVE WITH ME! Do you believe that? She wanted to keep me forever. That wasn't all bad. She was one of the most beautiful women I'd ever seen. Honestly, I don't know how that guy managed to get her in the first place. Eventually, I managed to convince her that her 'Lord Pleasurer' - I'm telling you I couldn't make this up if I tried - that he would kill me if he found out the guy who killed his cousins was romanticizing his love toy, so she snuck me out on the boat that brought her food after I promised to visit her and bring her gifts from far away places.

Have I been back? Nope. But I'm hanging onto that one in case it becomes a good idea."

Last edited by HandsOfBlue; 11-22-2018 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Grammaticals
Old 11-22-2018, 11:46 AM
it's all fun and games

Tools
User Statistics
FungeonMaster
@HandsOfBlue: Thanks for the app! That was quick! Looks like Whit could bring some levity to the game, which is always good. Affable, indeed!
Old 11-22-2018, 11:49 AM
it's all fun and games

Tools
User Statistics
FungeonMaster
I just added a little piece to the original post, at the suggestion of another site member. I'll paste it here as well, just to be thorough:

I think/hope this is already evident, but a potential player suggested I make it crystal clear, in light of the current cultural climate in the US and elsewhere. So here goes...

I've been referring to the New World's Indigenous peoples as "Savages" only because I'm setting the scene from more of an Old World perspective, not because I'm a racist or a white supremacist or a proponent of colonialism. In truth, the continent's native inhabitants have varied, rich, and complex histories and cultural traditions. Their societies, while they may seem primitive to Old World eyes, are nuanced and intricate.

As prospective players have suggested/wondered, these Indigenous tribes and clans are in many ways analogous to the First Peoples of North America (or Australia, or many other places throughout the world). And, not unlike those First Peoples, the Indigenous tribes in this game possess the full moral standing that comes along with being human.

That is, I have no intention of promoting racism towards Indigenous peoples. Rather, I imagine that this sort of prejudice, in all its moral complexity, is something we'll have opportunities to explore in-game, because it's an interesting theme underlying the campaign. But I, as the DM and as a person, harbor no prejudice towards anyone, and I hope you don't either.
Old 11-22-2018, 01:40 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Still wavering on my ability to commit ....

What time frame are you looking for in terms of application deadline and starting up the game?
Old 11-22-2018, 01:53 PM
it's all fun and games

Tools
User Statistics
FungeonMaster
@Strange: I don't have a set deadline in mind. I was just gonna wait and let the quality/quantity of apps determine the deadline. I won't rush things, though. Getting the right players/characters is important. When I do announce a deadline, I'll give at least a week's warning. Hopefully that gives you enough time to give form to whatever ideas are tumblin' around in yer brain.
Old 11-22-2018, 02:15 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
HandsOfBlue
Right there with you, FungeonMaster, and I should probably speak to that as well. The character I have produced for this adventure is intended to be a caricature of a historical figure who did much to serve his own nation's interests, but in so doing caused considerable harm to others. The creation of said character is not an agreement with said actions, but rather a way to explore past events under the light of contemporary morality and knowledge (and to poke a little fun at the misrepresentations marketed by a certain cartoon movie purveyor). It is my hope also, that perhaps these fictitious and occasionally comical scenarios might be used to expose and open up to conversation some antiquated world views through the filter of modern understanding.
Old 11-23-2018, 05:34 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 305
ellie ellie ellie ellie
Expressing interest! I like the sound of this setting a lot, and I think you've addressed the potentially problematic use of the term 'savages' with sensitivity, FungeonMaster (it's a shame 'barbarian' is a D&D class, really, as that term has much the same meaning without holding quite such keen contemporary connotations).

I have a couple of different characters in mind (both on the less 'civilized' side), will try to decide which one I like better soon!
Old 11-23-2018, 11:31 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Dirty Magic
Definitely interesting. I love the idea of the sandbox in the new world and the willingness to gently explore colonialism. Ancient and "primitive" cultures are fascinating. Have you seen Britannia? A must watch... those are druids.

I haven't played D&D in looong time but I'm looking to get back into it. (Why, when I was a kid, there were no dang fool Warlocks and Wizards... just "Magic-Users". And they got to cast Magic Missile exactly once before they died a painful, gruesome death. And they were grateful for it!) I'm comfy with the rules and can scrabble my way through the PbP thing without much of an issue. I can post almost daily if need be... weekends can sometimes pull me away from important matters of the keyboard for a day.

I'm not sure about my character yet. Likely either painfully superior Old World or a native of the New World that's been working with the common-type settlers to help them get... er.... settled.
Old 11-24-2018, 01:23 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Basic InfoName: Garrok
Race: Half-Orc
Class: Wizard
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Deity: None.
Background: Sage

Appearance and PersonalityTheme Music
A half-orc raised as a "slave/pet" by a Human Wizard, eventually gained his master's trust and even started an education as an apprentice. Garrok grew to see magic as the key to freedom. Obsessed with learning and 'possessing' as much magic as he could, he disdains his orcish strength and prefers to rely on his intelligence and magic, though when this fails he breaks down and can unleash his raw power & aggression, much to his own disappointment.
Garrok dresses in the brown, hooded robes of a wizard, which were left to him by his former master. Although he keeps his course, black hair in a tidy braid, this is often hidden by the robe's hood, which he prefers to use to hide his pointy ears and green-tinged skin.

Background Overview:
Garrok was raised from birth by a Human Mage (wizard) in the Old World, but initially as a slave/servant. Fascinated with magic from an early age, this fascination developed into an obsession as Garrok saw the power that his master wielded as representative of the freedom, which he did not have. Initially gleaning scraps of knowledge and hints by scouring manuscripts, studying scrolls and listening to his master in secret, Garrok displayed an unusual aptitude and intelligence (for a half-orc!), which his master took note of. Eventually, once he was of suitable age, his master had even started to show him some secrets and tutor him in the ways of wizardry.

One day during his 14th year of age, while going out to collect firewood, he came back home to find that the elder mage crumpled to the floor in his study, seemingly dead. Though the cause of death could not be identified, it did not appear to be caused by violence as there was no sign of struggle nor intrusion. Perhaps it was old-age?

Unfortunately, Garrok's knowledge had not grown to the point where he was able to make use of most of the items, which were left behind by his deceased master. Many tomes of knowledge, which had remained hidden but were unreadable by the young Garrok, would remain in the keep for safe-keeping. Garrok thus gathered his few belongings and set off to begin the next chapter in his life, across an Ocean within the city of New Beacon - on a quest to discover the long-forgotten magics that are only available in the 'new world'.
Traits: Surprisingly smart (for a half-orc!)
Ideal: Freedom (anti-slavery) [No Limits - Nothing should fetter the infinite possibility inherent in all existence.]
Bond: I have ancient texts that holds terrible secrets that must not fall into the wrong hands. Left over from former Master; undeciphered.
Flaw: Obsessed with magic (easily distracted by promise of magic knowledge/artifacts, potentially to the detriment of self/others).

RP SampleThe door to the inner chamber of the Tower sprung open as the Rouge deftly proved his skills with the lock. The Fighter enters first, followed by the Rogue and finally Garrok, the Mage. As they scan the inner chamber, Garrok proclaims as he casts his spell "I will locate the magic item!" and watches for the telltale glow. "There!" he exclaims. "I see it!" As he advances toward the bright-blue glow, his Fighter colleague suggests: "Wait! Shouldn't you -- " but before he can finish, a large shadow lunges from behind an overturned bookshelf, straight at Garrok! The Fighter leaps to intercept the lunging monster with his shield - saving Garrok from the viscous attack but the force bowls over the Fighter, knocking him prone.

A giant Spider, eyes glowing red and trained on its next meal, readies itself for another strike! Garrok prepares his own attack - conjuring a sphere of electricity into a glowing orb, but without enough space in between him and the spider to allow him to launch the spell effectively, the creature counters with its own lunge for a kill. This time, the Rouge intercepts the attack, launching himself atop the Spider and plunging his knife into the beast. "Mage, DO something!" the Rogue hisses.

Perhaps it is the momentary distraction, or the frustration born from the Mage's inaction, but the Rogue is unable to hang on and is thrown by the Spider, landing some feet behind the Mage. As the Spider advances with nothing between it and its intended prey, Garrok struggles to put distance between him and the monster in order to complete the necessary gestures, which would unleash a torrent of flame on the beast. Back-peddling, a panic starts to set in...descending into frustration, then ... anger. A low growl can be heard, as Garrok's flailing hands cease their jittery, ineffective movements and his fists tighten around his staff - he lunges HIMSELF at the monster, first bashing it with a mighty, downward blow of his staff, nearly crushing through the carapace. The growl can be heard louder, now - a veritable roar nearly drowning out the sound of Garrok's subsequent jab of his staff piercing the hard shell of the Spider. Gripping the staff with one hand while placing his remaining hand into the open gash, a flex of the muscles generate a horrendous ripping sound as the beast in torn into half, ending its life with a spray of green blood.

It is only after the last twitches of the Spider's legs cease, that Garrok realizes the now horrible, roaring sound is that of his own voice, screaming in raw, unadulterated rage. Coming to his senses, he stops - still panting heavily. His colleagues stare at him, jaws agape. "I thought that thing was supposed to be used to throw Fireballs...or something", whispers the Fighter. The Rouge, now upright and standing behind Garrok, slaps him on the head, admonishing: "Armor BEFORE Find Magic!"

The slap stings. Not because of the force, which was meant to shock more than hurt. But because Garrok realizes his friends now see him for what he's always tried to deny, which is - despite his many years of study, despite all that he has learned, they see that deep down - he is in his core, a brutish ... monster.

Last edited by Strange2099; 11-29-2018 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Updated Appearance.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:15 PM
it's all fun and games

Tools
User Statistics
FungeonMaster
@HandsOfBlue: I can dig that. Under all that sweet, sweet, storytelling meringue is a lemony-sour layer of social commentary. That's a tasty pie, my friend.

@ellie: Thanks for your interest! In fairness, I'd prefer to refer to the "Savages" by whatever proper name they use for themselves, but I don't wanna go ahead and name them in case one of y'all wants to do that. See, I have a whole set of cultural and linguistic characteristics in mind for these peoples, but I'd rather leave the canvas as blank as possible during the application process in case a player wants to name/shape/define the "Savages" as part of their character concept. Does that make sense? Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

@Dirty Magic: Haven't seen Brittania, but you've certainly piqued my interest! I'll have to check it out. But yeah, here's hoping this game can be your re-entry into D&D. I think you'll love play-by-post. It's awesome. I got your PM and I'll hit you back when I get a chance. For now, let's just say I'm very intrigued!

@Strange: Lookin' good so far. I like the idea of a half-orc wizard!
Old 11-25-2018, 12:08 AM
Do Not Feed The Panda

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1252
Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda Haunted Panda
left-aligned image

Name: Varette

Race: Aasimar

Class: Sorcerer (Divine Soul)

Deity: Moncerius - Lord of Unicorns

Appearance:

Personality:

Background:

RP Sample:

Last edited by Haunted Panda; 12-01-2018 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:14 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 252
ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart
SimonName: Simon Winterfield

Race: Human

Class: Monk (Eventual Way of the Four Elements)

Appearance and Personality:
right-aligned image
Simon is a little on the shorter side standing at 5' 6" with a build made up entirely of lean muscle. He has slightly longer than shoulder length grayish brown hair and light brown eyes. He dresses simply in a long sleeved white shirt, a pair of brown pants, a pair of sturdy work boots, and a pair of fingerless brown leather gloves. Wrapped around his waist is a dark green sash that appears to be the nicest thing he owns.

Simon is a bit of a punk. Foul mouthed and loud. He isn't afraid to anger people or to pick fights he knows he can't win. He doesn't care what other people think about him and strives to always be himself, even if that means going against everyone else. He holds a great dislike for the rich, but especially those that take their wealth for granted or look down on those with less. Simon is extremely competitive and can turn even the simplest of tasks into a competition. Despite his attitude problem, Simon is a hard worker who will get the job done.

Background: Simon is the only apprentice to Master Azren, a powerful and famous monk, known for his mastery of the elements. Nobody, not even Simon himself, knows why Azren chose a punk like him to pass his skills onto. All Simon knows is that Azren saved him from getting the tar beaten out of him and offered to train him. Ever since then, he's been traveling from town to town, getting the tar beaten out of him on a daily basis as part of his training, and ocassionally helping people.

Then, six months ago, Azren vanished. Simon woke up one morning to find his master gone, with nothing but a slip of paper with the words New World written on it. Following the note, Simon made his way to the New World, hoping to find his master. His travels brought him to New Beacon where word soon began to spread that Azren's apprentice was looking for him. That word reached the local Baroness. While she cared not about this boy, the name Azren meant something to her. The apprentice of such a powerful man had to have some skill himself. She reached out with a job offer, with his reward being information on Azren's whereabouts. Simon had no idea if the woman actually had any information, or if she was just using that to manipulate him. But with no other leads, Simon had no other choice but to accept.

Traits: When I set my mind to something, I follow through no matter what gets in my way.
Thinking is for other people. I prefer action.

Ideal: Sincerity. There’s no good in pretending to be something I’m not.

Bond: I protect those who cannot protect themselves.

Flaw: The people who knew me when I was young know my shameful secret, so I can never go home again.

RP Sample: "Get up." The words came to Simon in a haze. He lay flat on his back, sucking in air, and once again wondering how he had gotten into this position so fast. "Get up, the enemy won't wait." The sound of a footstep drawing closer to him sprung the young man into action. With a groan Simon climbed to his feet and assumed his fighting stance once more. His opponent was an older man, who at times could look as kind and gentle as a grandfather, and others as dangerous as murderer. Now was one of those murderer times. Simon could no longer remember what is was like to not be in pain. Yet every time he was ordered to get up, he got back up to take more.

Simon made the first move, he had to. The young man lunged forward, throwing a quick jab at Master Azren's midsection. The fist was easily caught. Within moments, Simon found himself back on the ground. This time on his stomach, his arm twisted behind him and a knee on his back. "Surrender or I dislocate it."

"Never." Simon spat as he struggled to dislodge Master Azren from his back. The harsh cracking sound hit him a good second before the pain did. He let out a grunt of pain that bordered on a whimper as his shoulder was forced out of place. Then the weight on his back disappeared and once again he was being ordered to his feet. "You know the rules. I put your shoulder back in place when you can land a hit."

Once again, Simon forced himself to his feet. He went on the offensive, his dislocated arm dangling limply by his side. Strike after strike he threw, and each one failed to land. He was starting to get discouraged that he was going to have to figure out how to relocate his own shoulder. Then he felt it, just the barest brush of something against his knuckles. He just barely made contact with Azren's chest. The smallest hint of a smile appeared on his master's face. The the man was moving with lightning speed. Simon barely had time to register the hands on his arm before his shoulder was cracked back into the place.

Stars danced in front of his vision and for a third time Simon had no idea how he had gotten on the ground. This time he was sitting. A waterskin was thrust into his vision and he took it without thought. As the monk drank, Master Azren sat on the ground across from him. "I think it's about time I started teaching you the elements."

Last edited by ColorsOfTheHeart; 11-25-2018 at 02:16 AM.