: +

Notices

Old 11-25-2018, 01:30 AM
<insert witty title here>

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 843
Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher
Edit: Apologies, but I'm going to have to withdraw from this one. Had some previous applications process and I don't want to take on too much, too soon. Perhaps next time!

Thanks.

Expressing interest!

Initial idea: Human Bard who is effectively a promoter/poster child for the Empire that ensures everything positive done by the Empire is recognized and appreciated, and everything questionable is deflected and refocused elsewhere.

A literal hype-man, if you will.

Last edited by Watcher; 11-27-2018 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:15 AM
Court Jester

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8252
saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187
Expressing Interest.

Any issues with the UA Revised Ranger?

Thinking of making a woods guide that has a history of doing jobs for various Empire authorities and groups. Always could use a guide whenever traveling the dangerous wilds of the New World.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:21 AM
Creature of the Deep

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3061
Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith
Posting interest.

I've had a Dragonborn Cleric of the Forge concept bouncing around ever since rereading Atlas Shrugged.

New world, new opportunities and all that.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:10 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 61
HandsOfBlue
@FungeonMaster: Aaaaaand now I'm hungry. Lemon meringue is the best.

@Haunted Panda: I totally just started cackling like a maniac after reading your little sig poem.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:11 PM
Roma Invicta

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1365
Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382 Tommyk382
I am also interested. I too was thinking of the UA revised ranged that saratek mentioned, so I hope we don't conflict too much. If that's cool I am thinking of an ex-pirate who has since settled down a bit, hoping to atone for his past wrong-doings and eventually settle down with his sweetheart.

As for the build I am thinking about a STR build, which is why I think me and saratek won't clash too much, with dual-weilding hand-axes and using the beast master subclass. If you give the okay on the UA revised ranger, I'll get to work on really fleshing out something nice!
Old 11-25-2018, 02:35 PM
Court Jester

Tools
User Statistics
saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187
Tommy, I was going to do basically the same build, so as not to conflict, have at it. Good luck with your app!
Old 11-25-2018, 09:11 PM
Nanomachines

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 172
Solid Snek Solid Snek
Lucius CarmineName: Lucius Carmine

Race: Half-Elf

Class: Warlock / Sorcerer

Alignment: Neutral Evil

Deities: Caiphon, the False Star, and Charybdis, the Maw of the Ocean.

Appearance and Personality: Long, tussled brown hair and the ever-present hint of an impish smile gives Lucius a rag-tag quality about him. He is charming, yet unsettling, understandable and personable, yet distant. Piercing yellow eyes fully display the intellect beneath, sharp eyebrows present a visage of intense focus, and a golden tattoo of the sun marks the half-elf as a holy man.

Nothing Lucius does is wanton. He is calculating, and while his tongue may be quick, he takes care that it does not overtake his wits. Every word he speaks is carefully chosen, and spoken from the diaphragm so that it is clear and impossible to ignore. It is through these careful words and golden-timbre voice that Lucius shapes the hearts and minds of those around him to his own - and his masters' -ends.

Background: A charlatan and a liar, masquerading as a prophet of Vaerid, while truly serving the gods Caiphon and Charybdis. The Baroness is drawn to Lucius' ability to sway a crowd with mere words, and hopes that he may not only bolster morale on the expedition, but use his skills to buy her New Beacon's citizens' favor after the successful retrieval of the artifact.

Lucius is the son of a human and a siren, perhaps the only living half-breed of such a kind. Despite his uniqueness, he does not stand out terribly so, has his features are very similar to those of half-elves. Indeed, sirens are aquatic sisters of the elves, and both share a common ancestor.

His lineage has given him three important characteristics, that have defined and molded him into the man he is at present. First, he has the adaptability and cunning of a human. He can think like a human, talk like a human, and scheme like a human. Second, he has the charm and allure of a siren. While he cannot sing men into stupor like his mother, he is able to make fast friends and persuade strangers with uncanny talent. Finally, like his mother, Lucius can hear the whispers of old gods of the ocean.

Caiphon, the False Star above, and its brother, Charybdis, the Great Maw, give Lucius purpose and power. Their wants are simple. Charybdis hungers, and Caiphon seeks to satiate his brother. To that end, the False Star guides wayward mariners off course and into the territory of Charybdis. Once such ships are within the pull of Charybdis' whirlpool, there is no escape, and the Maw feeds. And their new servant, Lucius, facilitates this process by guiding mariners towards Caiphon's light.

The settling of the new world is a boon to all three. More ships than ever are sailing across the deepest, most treacherous seas, and the greater civilization grows, the more trade and passengers ships will make that voyage. Lucius has positioned himself in the New World to help civilization prosper, as well as to garner trust of the gullible so as to continue feeding his masters.

RP Sample: Lucius steps off of the Compassion, a large, triple-masted passenger ship that had just finished voyaging to the New World. The relaxed, white cloth sails bundle together in neat rows, still shuddering in the wind even though they are reeled together. The massive hull bobs up and down just a little against the choppy waters, as if nearly weightless. Lucius knows that, in relative terms, it likely is, likely designed so that a large portion of the crew could lift and carry the entire ship to shore if needed. As the tide pushes and pulls on the ship, it tugs against the thick ropes lashing it to the docks, causing the water-soaked boards of both to creak a little.

The captain descends from the ship to offer Lucius a vigorous handshake, thanking the half-elf for his prayers of safe passage and good fortune. He goes so far as to claim that Lucius' intercession with Vaerdis had garnered the crew and passengers the safest and most pleasant voyage the captain had ever undergone in his many trips to the new world. Lucius smiles and plays the humble priest, graciously accepting the praise while gently shrugging it away, countering that only through the captain and crew's skills and knowledge as seamen did the ships passage go so smoothly. He himself only helped to stave off the restlessness and irritation that comes with months at sea.

The two men part ways, waving goodbye to each other. Lucius knows that the captain with depart to return home in three days time. He also knows that, under Lucius' own guidance, the captain will depart again from the Old World on the first day of the second month of the next year... a day when, unbeknownst to the captain, a purple star will light the night sky, and will continue to do so for each night of the rest of the week. That star - whose name is Caiphon - will lead them to its brother, Charybdis, a great, living whirlpool within the ocean. And Lucius knows that once the ships are waylaid into Charybdis' jaws, there will be no escape.

And there will be no survivors.

Old 11-26-2018, 03:14 AM
it's all fun and games

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 26
FungeonMaster
@Haunted Panda: Lord of Unicorns, huh? Alright. I can dig it.

@ColorsOfTheHeart: That's a pretty spicy monk you got there. I like the plot hook with the Master. That's something your DM can use.

@Watcher: Thanks for submitting an app! I like the idea of a loyal-to-the-Empire (but mostly just loyal to himself) character. Looks good!

@saratek/Tommy: I'm fine with the UA Ranger build. I understand some DMs don't like it, but if balance is the issue, I'm not really worried about that. If you make an overpowered party, I'll just beef up the challenge level to match. And if your character is especially overpowered, they'll just draw more of the enemies' attention. So yeah, it's all good. And I hope you don't think there's no room for two dual-wielding rangers in the game. If you guys both wanna apply, that'd be just dandy. Thanks for your interest!

@Nasrith: Sounds good!

@Solid Snek: Thanks for applying! I like that Lucius is evil, but not, like, super evil. The son-of-a-siren thing is cool. Neat concept!

Last edited by FungeonMaster; 11-26-2018 at 03:15 AM.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:44 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 114
danab danab
Azymandias, the Dazzling
right-aligned image
Name: Maeva Ashaxe

Race: Dwarf (Mountain)

Class: Rogue (Thief)

Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Deity: Thaernod (Pre-Imperial dwarven aspect of Vaerid)

Description: Her scarred face has a somewhat placid, perhaps even content look to it. The scars don't stop at her chin though, they continue on, down her exposed, muscular, arms. The plain clothes, the tumble of messy blonde hair you'd be forgiven if you mistook her for a dwarf peasant. That mistake would end and the pair of axes on her belt. Maintained, sturdy, those aren't farm tools

Personality: Everything Maeva does is for her new home. She's a shale; they're all shales here. This new colony is their chance to show the homeland that they aren't just a step away from the mud(Hill) dwarves that mingle with the human flock, that have no family or history. Drukattag has to be a success and she will do anything to ensure it is. It can be easy to miss this deep desire underneath the often taciturn and sarcastic manner that she puts on display. Also, don't get under her skin too much. It'd be a shame if she had to ruin a pretty face to get her point across.

Background: Maeva barely remembers shuffling onto the boats when she was ten. Three tall-masted things packed from bow to stern with 400 dwarves in total. For the glory of Rhikstag, Thraepol, Vistier, the three shining pillars. No one talked about how necessary their mission was. How much the homeland needed the new resources and new lands offered in the new world. No one talked about how expendable they were. Shales, the impure rocks. No, just the journey and the promise.

Over twenty died from extended sea sickness. Another 40 when they arrived thanks to savages and fauna. But dwarves are nothing if not tenacious and they dug into the southernmost regions of the New World. They built a new home there, literally, "Drukattag." This is the place where Maeva grew up, learned to be a jobber, a bodyguard, a tough. This is where she buried her mother. Where she'd be buried one day.

Now though... Now they're in a pickle. They need ports, boats, and more dwarves most of all. Their hard and costly work is starting to pay off, they just needed a little help. As luck would have it so does a certain Baroness of New Beacon. With the hopes of her people riding on her back, Maeva has gone to answer the summons.

RP SampleAs the work bells finish tolling, a whistle could be heard, rising to fill the void...

Soon other voices joined into the budding song. They all joined in, one by one, keeping time with the ringing and scraping of tools. Everyone new their part of the song by heart. A symbol of the founding. On the stairs tracing up the cavern wall Maeva listened and let the song sink into her. She wasn't ignoring the figure behind her. He'd speak exactly when he meant to. He always had.

"Going then? Packed and ready?"

"Yes pa."

It was an unnecessary question. They both knew the answer, but it had to be said. Had to be done.

"Does it really have to be you?"

Maeva broke her concentration on the song and finally looked back at her father. He was old fifty odd years ago when she'd come into the world. Time, hardship, and death had only served to further whittle his strength away. They both knew the answer. She had to. She was all they could spare.

"Yes pa..."

She brought her supplies up onto her shoulder and started to ascend the stairs. Each step in time to the distant beat of hammers. She looked back at him as she went. Might've been the lantern light below, but she could swear she saw a flicker of pride in his eyes. Together they hummed along to the chorus.

"Sing a song for me, will ya?"

"When you get back, yeah."

Last edited by danab; 11-27-2018 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:22 PM
Court Jester

Tools
User Statistics
Hexblade Application
left-aligned image

Name: Malak Roth
Race: Human (Variant)
Class: Warlock (Hexblade)
Background: Soldier
Alignment: (Lawful) Neutral
Deity: Vaerid publically. Worships Umbra(Hexblade Patron) secretly.

Last edited by saratek187; 12-10-2018 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Completed Application
Old 11-27-2018, 03:00 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Dirty Magic
Here's my proposed character, Gorzha. The background is spilling out of me like crazy... there will be some edits to come and some details to fill in, typos to fix. She's complex, but on the surface she's kind of a haughty elite that's above all this dirty new world stuff. She's driven, knowing she has a sacred mission but having no idea what it is. Really, kind of David Morrissey in Britannia, without a Roman legion to back her up. Suggestions and critique welcome.

Gorzha Vohzgmiir

Warlock, Human Variant
I'm thinking Pact of the Chain maybe. Her familiar may take different forms but will always be the same entity. It will be a pain in the ass and won't confirm or deny if it's her familiar or a “spy” sent by her Iron Passion.

Link to Character sheet (WIP)

Last edited by Dirty Magic; 11-30-2018 at 11:35 PM. Reason: added Cragsquall to background
Old 11-27-2018, 05:30 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
danab danab
So this worked out better than I thought. Did a random drawing when I made Maeva. Ended up with a female dwarf rogue. Going to do a strength build for her because "Why not?" I'm also going thief so far because it doesn't seem to step on anyone else's toes as far as character builds go. It's up for debate though. We all aren't third level yet. Things can change.

Oh yeah, the Thaernod thing. One thing I remember particularly from the Elder Scrolls games is the fact that everyone seemed to have the same gods, just wildly different interpretations of those gods until the empire codified them into the nine divines. The dwarves have their own interpretation of Vaerid that they follow rather than the more "human" one.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:42 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 543
Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099
HI FungeonMaster.

I added the RP sample to my character app. I hope it works!

I guess I just need to find a decent pic and describe the appearance in order to mark it as complete. Strange how there's not a lot of Half-Orc Wizards to reference...
Old 11-28-2018, 02:13 PM
it's all fun and games

Tools
User Statistics
FungeonMaster
@Watcher: Bummer. Good luck with your other games, though!

@danab: You drew that?! That's awesome. Well done! I think the thief thing is fine, but don't worry about "stepping on toes" or overlapping with other character concepts. I choose players based on their ability to create a compelling character and their ability to write about said character. If we end up with a handful of warlocks, I'm OK with that. So choose whatever you think will make Maeva most compelling. And the Thaernod thing is cool. I dig it.

@saratek/Dirty Magic: Thanks for submitting those apps. Lookin' good!

@Strange: Don't feel like you need to find a picture. It's totally optional. Looking forward to readin' that RP sample! Thanks for updating me!

Apps are looking good so far. I think I'll set an application deadline for Dec 8 or somewhere around there, just in case anyone out there is still thinking about applying. If y'all need more time, just lemme know. I'm in no rush.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:17 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
danab danab
Oh no, I didn't draw that. Found it on pinterest. I meant I rolled randomly to come up with Maeva's basics. Sorry for the confusion.