... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Old 11-26-2018, 02:13 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5175
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
Adventures in Tutoriala

Game NameAdventures in Tutoriala
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeNew heroes, New legacy.
FlavourClassic fantasy, Adventurers coming into their own.
Plot Summary
left-aligned image
It has been a hundred years since the Lich King tried to bring the continents of Isica, Atane and Ukrai under heel. His massive hordes of undead and other nightmarish creatures were at the gates of the largest cities of human, free folk and elven settlements. When the situation seemed most dire the Lich King was struck down by a group of heroes. Heroes who have since passed into legend, or so they would have the populace think.

Whisperings of a Necromancer causing a stir around the small village of Deerhollow to the far north have reached ears at Oxcliff and Oldbell even. Although, common folk and monarchs alike don't put much weight behind the rumors that this may lead to a much larger threat.

Fortunately for you, Your story begins in Oldbell, a decent sized village within the Isican Empire that is almost completely isolated from the rest of the world without being so removed that it has to completely rely on itself. It lies along the prime trade route in Lower Isica and gets the first pick of the best wares and slaves. For whatever reason, you are leaving Oldbell and headed to Whitham, though and it can't wait another day.

Details:
-!December 14 is the Deadline for applications!
-4-5 players
-Level 1
-Point Buy
-Standard equipment

Applications:
Name:
Race: Any of the nine races in the PHB
Class: PHB
Alignment: Anything you feel fits your character as long as they can work along with the party.
Background: PHB
Personality trait:
-At least 2
Ideal:
-
Bond:
-
Flaw:
-
Personality: Give some context to the background traits that you chose at least.
Appearance: Clothes, hair, race, etc.
Backstory: A couple paragraphs, at least one hook or reason why you have to leave Oldbell and flee to Whitham ASAP
RP sample: Something fresh, bring the character alive.

Player Character Class Race Status
Shaede Mahlum Joraru Wizard/necromancer Variant Human Complete
Wyrom Leviticus Cromm Fighter/Pirate Half-elf Complete
Grouchy Sir Daniel Caldwell Bard/Philanderer Half-elf Complete
Drachenspirit Reybella Nai'lothul Ranger/Rogue Elf Complete
Phenyks Sithan "Goody" Mhurrexiabit Cleric Dragonborn Complete
Hafrogman Izadora Fighter/Eldritch Variant Human Complete
In the Mix Rebecca Fighter Human Complete
Silverfeather Valon Waterscale Fighter Dragonborn Complete
Lydklein Malinal Xochitl Ranger Half-elf WIP
Strange 2099 Interest
Retry Reli Garris Rogue Mountain Gnome WIP
Lentil Sponge Kieyadoli Suggitaurus Rogue Half-elf WIP
Wodine Kelyrian Timewalker Cleric of Chronus Wood Elf Complete
Ungainlyfool Sigram Barbarian/Beserker Half-elf Complete

Last edited by Arthilian01; 12-07-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:34 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 543
Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099
Like a moth to the flame...let me flutter for a bit before I descend for the death spiral.
May I ask, how high do you envision taking the PCs in terms of # of campaigns and/or character level?
Also, do our characters have to be from Oldbell? What kind of city is Oldbell (flavor/demographic)?
Old 11-27-2018, 08:44 AM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
I hope to find committed players willing to travel all over Tutoriala from level 1-10.

You don't have to be from Oldbell but you have to be in Oldbell.
Oldbell is a decent sized village, about 800-850 people. It is home to almost all the races because it's the first stop on the trade route from the biggest port in the area. It's slave population makes up 30% of the people. The richest nobles have two or three slaves. Most of the population worship the Allfather who is the god of the Sun and Civilization. The city boasts a decently powerful thieves guild that thrives in the underbelly. There is also a local wizard whom everyone thinks is crazy.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:21 AM
Praiser of the Sun

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 314
Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom
With a lack of pathfinder out there I find interest in this as a good start into 5th edition. Would you accept a newcomer and how easy is it to learn the ropes?
Current Game:Troubles in Tarn & Running Storm King's Thunder
Old 11-27-2018, 11:00 AM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
The rules are pretty easy and I do accept and have the patience to teach a newcomer to 5e
Old 11-27-2018, 11:16 AM
Praiser of the Sun

Tools
User Statistics
Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom
Wonderful! Should have an incoming Pirate Half-Elf at least place holding by the end of the day
Old 11-27-2018, 12:02 PM
Chocolate Chips

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2015
In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix
Interested. Should have a character up by the end of the week.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:03 PM
Master of None

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1929
Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede
Heya Arthilian! I'll throw my hat in

Application Status - SUBMITTED FOR CONSIDERATION

Mahlum Joraru
left-aligned image

Name: Mahlum Joraru
Race: V. Human
Alignment: True Neutral
Class: Wizard - Necromancer
Background: Cloistered Scholar
Personality Traits: I’m convinced that people are always trying to steal my secrets. There’s nothing I like more than a good mystery.
Ideal: No Limits. Nothing should fetter the infinite possibility inherent in all existence.
Bond: I’ve been searching my whole life for the answer to a certain question.
Flaw: Most people scream and run when they see a demon. I stop and take notes on its anatomy.
Personality: Mahlum is a searcher and a dreamer all in one. He has beliefs in the afterlife that others seem to dismiss and consider naive. In fact, Mahlum considers most religious sects as being the exact same. He feels the gods are not real and that an energy flows throughout the world that links the spirit with the flesh. It is his hope to someday be able to reach into that energy and harness it. He does not mind people, at all. He enjoys a good conversation sharing his thoughts on the world at large. For those he does not share similar views, he listens with respect, but chuckles to himself inside at the absurdity of an alternate reality. He is helpful as long as it does not interfere with his quest for knowledge. He puts his own search for the power of the dead above all else, and sometimes, he do so to his own detriment.

Appearance: Mahlum is a tall human, about six feet one inch. He sports long, black hair on his head framing deep set, dark brown eyes. Unlike many scholars, he does not wear the long, flowing robes typically seen. His clothing is simple and consists of long pants with high traveling boots. Mahlum is typically seen with a deep blue tunic that is tight around his frame. To an observer, he wears the comfortable, sturdy clothing of a traveler. His skin is near pale white from all the time that he has spent indoors. Very slight wrinkles have started to set in around his forehead and mouth from peering over too many books.

History:

Roleplay Example: Time to Meet Your Master

Posting Rate: Maximum: Many times per workday (M-F CST). Only once or twice on weekends; Minimum: once per day during workday, none on weekends.

Last edited by Shaede; 12-05-2018 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:25 PM
Master of None

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1929
Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede
For flavor, is Oxcliff considered the capital of Isica? Is this where the libraries and scholars of the region would be hosted?
Old 11-27-2018, 12:27 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Yes, Oxcliff is the capital of Isica.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:03 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1903
hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman
I'm thinking about an escaped slave/indentured servant. Anything specific I should know about slave ownership / markings / enforcement?
Old 11-27-2018, 08:28 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Each slave gets a tattoo down the back of their neck, one symbol to mark them as a slave and one symbol to represent each owner. Reasons for slavery can be anything from outrageous debt to being sold Into it by your fellow man

Last edited by Arthilian01; 11-27-2018 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:11 PM
Praiser of the Sun

Tools
User Statistics
Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom
right-aligned image

Name: Leviticus Cromm

Race: Half-Elf

Class: Fighter

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Background: Pirate

Trait 1: My friends know they can rely on me, no matter what

Trait 2: I never pass up a friendly wager

Ideal: Freedom. The sea is freedom, freedom to go anywhere and do anything

Bond: I am loyal to my captain first, everything else is secondary

Flaw: I can’t help but pocket loose coins and other trinkets I come across

Personality: Leviticus is something of a brash individual. If it wasn’t for his tenacity and drunken rages he would have been swinging from some cliff gallows years ago. Not that many hadn’t tried to put the hangman's noose around his neck. But his vigor kept his escapes from every drunk tank to prison near legendary. This natural penchant for trouble and brazen indulgence was a reflection of his upbringing. Learning from his mother to live in the moment, while learning from his father to never need a second chance. This left him a man willing to lose everything to gain very little other than approval and a name in the murmurs of Tutoriala’s taverns.

Appearance: Leviticus is a lean man standing at six foot four without his thick healed brown boots on. His hair is a long tangle of black swept underneath his fathers tattered tricorn hat. Matching the mane of hair is a mustache that falls past his lips on both sides down to his chin. His deeply bronzed skin clashes against the glowing emerald of his eyes. Typically Leviticus is seen in a knee-length leather coat and blue poet shirt covered over almost entirely in sashes and bandoliers.

Background: Leviticus was raised until eleven by his mother. She was very honest in his upbringing, telling him how she was wooed by his father, a merchant in the slave trade who vanished just in time for Leviticus to arrive into the world. Leviticus never worried about his father, choosing instead to focus on keeping up his mothers fruit stand in the port of Whitham and support her as well as he could. That all changed as he was whisked away into the night during a raid on his small seaside town. Leviticus was tossed onto a boat and sailed away before the guards could even be gathered.

The next day he awoke to a hearty breakfast laid out on the floorboards before him. In the corner, a gruff looking thick man swiped the coffee grinds out of his beard before rushing into the young boy for a hug. “Levi!!! My I hadn’t imagined it had been long enough for you to be this tall!” Leviticus stared in bewilderment as the man explained himself. It was his father, Albert Cromm, who had come in the night for his boy. Fearing the wrath of his separated wife he had opted to steal the boy away instead of a proper visit.

It took years for Leviticus to begin to trust his father, but once established his faith in the man was impervious. He learned that merchant, was the polite term his father used when pirate would be considered inappropriate. He also learned that what they traded in was not slaves but anything their target ship or port had to offer. And so for years Levi sailed under his father’s flag, by their great galleon Maiden of Faith, pillaging and adventuring as far as the four winds cared to carry them.

Not everyone on the Maiden appreciated the nepotism often showed to Albert’s son. Many times Levi caught Bug-Eye Milton chastising the crew for ever allowing him on board. So when they sailed away leaving him on the sands near Oldbell it was not the biggest surprise. That came when he saw them toss a body into the water. Leviticus swam into the brine and pulled his fathers lifeless corpse onto the shore. In his fathers hand was a note. . .

Capt. Bug-Eye

He buried his father, trudged into town and took whatever he would need to get to Whitham. To get to his mother.

RP Sample: Leviticus rolled out of bed to the sound of roaring thunder. He snapped up, taking the stairs three at a time until he hit the deck. He was immediately drenched in a torrential rain when he noticed the ship was near capsizing. His father was at the helm bearing against the weight of the storm.

Leviticus lunged towards the backstays and shoved away the others. ”It’s the same knot everytime why does it always take you so long!” He roared at Billam over the crashing rain. He could deal with an angry old man later, and easier to if he could keep everyone alive. ”Someone get those damned sails raised already! We’re likely to take flight should they stay down any longer”

Leviticus turned to close off the lower deck and was met full on by a fist. It was Bug-Eye who grabbed him and leaned him over the railing above the churning waters. ”Your dear pappy will think you just couldn’t keep your feet under you. Tumbled right into the sea you did nothing I could do about it” The old man tightened his grip and shoved harder. Levi planted his knee into Bug-Eyes stomach and followed it up with a bullrush that tossed the seadog down the stairs and into the Maiden of Faith’s belly. He kicked the doors closed and clamped their iron lock shut, even putting a mop through its handles for good measure. ”I’ll rip his arms off once I prove they don’t do anything.” He fumed to no one. Another crash of thunder rocked the ship and Leviticus was reminded he had better things to do at this moment.

Last edited by Wyrom; 11-28-2018 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:01 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2710
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
I enjoy Arthilian01's writing style both as a player and as a DM (albeit it was for a limited time before we lost most of the party due to that nefarious "real life") so I will throw my hat in this ring. Be more than willing to help others learn the ropes of 5E too if need be.

App complete.

Character Concept
right-aligned image

Name: Sir Daniel Caldwell
Race: Half Elf
Class: Bard (progressing to College of Lore)
Alignment: Neutral
Background: Charlatan (claims to be the steward of the Duke of Outer Marovia, Glendich Standish)

Traits:
I am incredibly charming and always friendly towards others until I don't need to be. I am an opportunist at heart and like to trust my gut more than my brain. I use flattery and charm like others use steel and magic.

Ideal:
I am determined to make something of myself and to become wealthy.

Bond:
I will do what I need to to stay ahead, but I don't want to hurt anyone else on the way up.

Flaw:
I have a had problem telling the truth, even to those I trust and when I have no reason to lie.

Personality:
Sir Caldwell, as he likes to call himself, is a smooth talking and charming socialite who sees everyone as a potential friend and thus a potential asset. He always tries to be incredibly polite and shamelessly flatters and schmoozes everyone he can. He much prefers words over violence, and considers it a failure on his own part when he has to resort to the latter. He is self-serving and will do what it takes to get ahead but he still has some semblance of morality so there are many things he would not do. He is infatuated with wealth and luxury, and carries himself with regality and poise. Sir Caldwell has an opportunist nature and he favors improvisation over planning - after all, if you have a strict plan and an opportunity comes up, you won't be able to seize it. He has a larcenous spirit and doesn't mind taking what isn't is - after all, who knows, someday he might be able to pay it back. He has a strong lust for adventure and adrenaline which, combined with his strong desire to become rich, is a powerful cocktail that currently drives him.

Appearance:
Sir Caldwell is a tall, extremely handsome man with a lithe build and long flowing brown hair that falls to his shoulders. He has friendly brown eyes and an easy smile, and his voice is smooth and polished with his enunciation and his tone. The slightly pointed ears you can spy through his hair denote his half-blood heritage. He is dressed in colorful finery of red and gray, with a red and gray doublet and a pair of gray leggings. A gold embroidered belt adorns his waist from which hangs a well-polished rapier on one side and a bracer of daggers on the other. A polished brass flute is tucked behind his daggers and he wears a set of highly polished soft black boots.

Backstory:
Sir Daniel Caldwell was born Richard Sullivan, one of several poor sons of a pig farmer in the village of White Oak. Both his mother and his father were half-bloods themselves, and from an early age Richard experienced what it was like being treated as an outcast. As a boy, he was fascinated with tales of royalty and wealth, and felt cheated by the gods that others were born into such luxuries yet here he lived - sharing one large bed with all of his brothers, slopping pigs, eating scraps, and stitching holes in his clothes with fishing line. Combined with the fact that many of their neighbors didn't want to associate with them left young Richard harboring serious grudges.

As Richard matured, he soon learned he had a silver tongue that he soon put to work for him. He wooed the bards staying at the inns to teach him their secrets for the flute, for wizards to show him the basics of magic, and for warriors to show him how to hold a sword. He also infatuated many of the young women of White Oak, and more than one irate father or brother would like nothing more than to give him the beating of a lifetime for besmirching their dignity and reputation before they were married. It was eight months ago when he saw his opportunity - a traveling bard passed out drunk at a local inn and Richard was one of the men who helped get him safely to his room. On the way out, Richard propped the window open slightly and returned later on, stealing every item the bard owned before skipping town and abandoning his old identity.

All it took was Richard finding an old and battered looking signet ring at a bazaar and the identity of Sir Daniel Caldwell was born. He cleaned and paid to get the ring back into perfect shape, and now he claims to be the steward of Duke Glendich Standish, the lord of Outer Marovia. And the Duke is gladly looking to expand his trade opportunities with lands far from his so for a small down payment you can be added to the official scroll of authorized tradesmen for the Outer Marovian caravans that will soon be flooding all of Isica. So far this scam has worked remarkably well, but Sir Caldwell made the mistake of engaging in a rather spirited affair with the wife of a prestigious merchant in Oldbell. Last night, she expressed some serious regrets and has stated she is going to tell her husband about their affair. Never one to get in the way of love, Sir Caldwell decided it to be prudent to immediately proceed next to Whitham and see who else would like the chance of a lifetime of being the first to trade with Outer Marovia.

Last edited by Grouchy; 11-28-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:17 PM
Praiser of the Sun

Tools
User Statistics
Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom
I like seeing all the positive response towards newcomers of the rules! Looking over it seems pretty simple what should we expect to be the hardest thing to wrap our heads around?