... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Old 11-29-2018, 12:33 AM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5175
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
Something I have trouble with going from DND to Pathfinder is the amount of skills. Sometimes it's hard to generalize what action is what skill but the to me, 5e dnd is by far much easier. I'm not sure what would be something difficult with 5e.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:42 AM
Praiser of the Sun

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 314
Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom
Weight is way more simplified
Current Game:Troubles in Tarn & Running Storm King's Thunder
Old 11-29-2018, 08:19 AM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
IKR!? As a GM, i don't worry about weight and encumberance as long as my players don't get carried away.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:36 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2873
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
5E is super simple for the player for the most part.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:11 AM
Praiser of the Sun

Tools
User Statistics
Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthilian01 View Post
IKR!? As a GM, i don't worry about weight and encumberance as long as my players don't get carried away.
Honestly I went from pathfinder player too GM to quickly. My parties relief when we finally all set down and figured out how we were gonna have weight work was tangible.

What is not gonna be difficult but maybe tricky that I am seeing is skills. Much broader. Hopefully asking "can I use. . ." instead of "which one" will help get the hang of it.

Last edited by Wyrom; 11-29-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:42 AM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I think what I am going to do this time around and in my other games, Is I'll let you roll whatever you think are viable skill(s) and I'll take whichever roll I think fits.

Last edited by Arthilian01; 11-29-2018 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:41 AM
CommunityCoffee Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6536
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Elven Ranger
left-aligned image
Name: Reybella Nai'loThul

Race: Elf

Class: Ranger (May multiclass with Rogue at 2nd level)

Alignment: CG

Background: Outlander

Personality trait: I’m driven by a wanderlust that led me away from home. I always have a plan for what to do when things go wrong.

Ideal: Life is like the seasons, in constant change, and we must change with it.
-
Bond: I will bring terrible wrath down on the evildoers who destroyed my homeland.
-
Flaw: There’s no room for caution in a life lived to the fullest.
-
Personality: Rey is driven by two things: 1) she will finish a task or job she's taken on with extreme prejudice and tenacity, and 2) she'll stop at nothing to slay undead wherever they pop up. During these times and the interposed down times between, she's rather happy-go-lucky to those she knows, but quiet and rarely speaking to those she doesn't. She's loyal to a fault once she's befriended you.

Appearance: Rey stands 5'6" and weighs about 124 lbs. She has redish-copper hair, hazel eyes, and a lean athletic figure.

Backstory: Leaving Oldbell - Rey tracked what she thought was a Necromancer, an evil one, to Oldbell, and caused quite a ruckus at a local tavern. She refused to pay for the damages and has to flee to avoid the authorities.

RP sample: The wind was blowing hard against the mountain side, across the sea, the cold reaching into her very soul. She liked being near the sea and alongside it, feeling the mist, the smell, hearing the waves. But she didn't have a lust to sail upon it. This was close enough.
She waited on the zombie she knew was out here in this bog near the sea. Too many had reported it hanging around and attacking those that got too close. And now she had it.
She had learned a lot over the years from all the human Rangers she had taken up with. Many had tried to teach her all manner of things, but it was the study, knowledge, and ways of the undead that she was after; the images of the lives they took forever burned into her memory at a young age that seemed like eons ago. Still, the burning hatred remained, almost fueling her.
As she studied the tracks, noting the crisscross pattern, she knew this was the spot to wait. While doing so, she allowed herself to recall what Talin had last told her, or at least the last thing she had listened to him saying, "Listen girl. We've cheated and we've lied and we've tested. Me, I never failed to fail, mostly because it was the easiest thing to do. You. You will survive being bested by an old Ranger like me. Yes. Somebody fine will come along, make you forget about me training you. And this obsession you have with slaying undead."
She took his words to heart, well, all but the last part. This... obsession as he called it was so much more than that. It was her destiny, and she would see it through.
Then she saw it approaching, this Zombie. She had been right to wait, and she remained hidden as it stumbled past. She leapt out, blades in hands, stabbing the thing in the back, and moving away before it can turn and attack back.
She hides again, waits, and leaps out once more, this time severing the head from the body.
She finishes by putting its head on a makeshift pike and burning the body.
She stays until she can cool down the ashes with some water before moving on.
She moved through the forest like the red breeze that she was, headed for town to see Talin after a year had passed. She was smiling and all was right with the world.

Last edited by Drachenspirit; 12-05-2018 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:19 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2873
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthilian01 View Post
I think what I am going to do this time around and in my other games, Is I'll let you roll whatever you think are viable skill(s) and I'll take whichever roll I think fits.
This is a great method. I do that too sometimes in games to make life easier for the GM. Something like...

Dice Investigation +3/Perception +4:
1d20 20

Or even just a plain D20 roll if there's no obvious answer or ruling yet.

Dice Appropriate Skill:
1d20 20

EDIT: AND FOR THE LOVE OF THE LORD. Did I just waste two natural 20s here???

Last edited by Grouchy; 11-29-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:23 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Haha, I'm picking Grouchy because he just wasted two nat 20's
Old 11-29-2018, 12:26 PM
Praiser of the Sun

Tools
User Statistics
Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy View Post
This is a great method. I do that too sometimes in games to make life easier for the GM. Something like...

Dice * Investigation +3/Perception +4:
1d20 20

Or even just a plain D20 roll if there's no obvious answer or ruling yet.

Dice * Appropriate Skill:
1d20 20

EDIT: AND FOR THE LOVE OF THE LORD. Did I just waste two natural 20s here???
That is the worst best luck I have ever seen. But it did help explain what you meant better.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:59 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Sometimes, I do two separate rolls and they look like this:

Dice Perception:
1d20+4 (19)+4 Total = 23
Dice Investigation:
1d20+3 (16)+3 Total = 19
Text
Old 11-29-2018, 02:09 PM
A Librarian

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1019
Phenyks Phenyks Phenyks Phenyks Phenyks Phenyks Phenyks Phenyks
Applications:
right-aligned image
Name:Sithan "Goody" Mhurrexiabit
Race: Dragonborn
Class: Cleric
Alignment: LG
Background: Acolyte
Personality trait:
  • I see omens in every event and action. The gods try to speak to us, we just need to listen.
  • I've spent so long in the temple that I have little practical experience dealing with people in the outside world.
Ideal:
  • Change. We must help bring about the changes the gods are constantly working in the world.
Bond:
  • I owe my life to the priest who took me in when my parents died.
Flaw:
  • I am inflexible in my thinking.
Personality: Sithan is a child of the church and what it represents. He is devout and stubborn about his faith. Proud of his bronze dragon ancestry, he loyally serves the god of storms, but is somewhat rigid in his thinking of what is right and wrong.

Appearance: Sithan is a tall dragonborn male with bronze dragon ancestry. His copper-colored scales have a metallic sheen that can be blinding when viewed in direct sunlight. He typically wears the traditional tabard of followers of the god of storms, blue wool trimmed with silver, emblazoned with a rune representing the storm. He favors loose-fitting pants due to the restrictive feeling of leather against his skin.

Backstory: Sithan was rescued 13 years ago by a priest of Njord who found the hatchling in a clutch of eggs abandoned in a crate, apparently left behind by a merchant passing through Oldbell. The other eggs had been smashed open and the others in the litter were dead, but Sithan was there in the center of his stillborn brothers and sisters, alive and mewling loudly. He bonded with the elderly priest and took to life in the temple quite well.

The god of storms became his spiritual father as the other clergy in the temple became his collective worldly one. He studied hard and became an expert in the faith, earning the nickname "Goody" from his peers due to his desire to please the temple's elders.

It wasn't out of character for Sithan to volunteer for a challenging job, especially when the temple was in need. The young priest has been dispatched to Whitham by his abbot in order to retrieve items required for the consecration of a new Njordic shrine. His instructions were to travel to Whitham, meet with a fellow priest named Toryk Anvilringer, collect two relics from Whitham's temple, and together with Toryk, take them west to the village of Hallowdale, situated in the foothills where the Windy Summits meet the Eastern Waste. The village priest, a human named Berrick Harrison, was not able to finish the consecration before he died suddenly. The abbot chose Sithan to assist Toryk in completing the consecration because of his devotion to Njord and moral clarity. He must arrive in Whitham soon, or else Toryk will leave for Hallowdale without him, and he will miss his first real chance to serve his temple.

RP sample: Goody gripped the piece of wood in his great talons, shifting his claws around the base of the club ever so slightly. He stood there with his legs askew, waiting for the projectile to hurtle toward his face. Watching the human boy standing 30 feet away with his large reptilian eyes, he saw its arm pull back and launch the stone toward him. The dragonborn swung his club at the slow-moving chunk of rock, and a loud crack echoed throughout the courtyard of the temple.

Suddenly, cheers erupted from a group of onlookers behind him, urging him to run. The young acolyte bolted toward the small stump that served as the first of three safe areas in the game of stickball that he and his fellows enjoyed playing when they took a break from afternoon chores. His teammate crossed the tile that marked another point for their team. The small crowd cheered again, leaping in the air and clapping the girl that scored the point on the back. They had won the match easily. A bell clanged in the nearby tower, signaling the students to return to their duties. Goody smiled and walked over to the girl. Nice going, Clareth. You should play like that all the time, he chided. The girl's fist shot out and struck him on the thigh. Was that supposed to hurt?, he asked with a deadpan expression. The two students burst out laughing as they walked back to the chapel to finish polishing the woodwork in the sanctuary.

Last edited by Phenyks; 12-04-2018 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Completing app
Old 11-29-2018, 04:54 PM
CommunityCoffee Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6536
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Elven Ranger is up and complete. I have a character sheet mostly completed if you need it.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:57 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1550
silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers
I too am sticking a place holder here. I really enjoy playing with Art and encourage players newer to 5e to submit applications as he makes it fun and easy to learn the system.
Tower graduate #820
Old 11-29-2018, 05:06 PM
Praiser of the Sun

Tools
User Statistics
Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfeathers View Post
I too am sticking a place holder here. I really enjoy playing with Art and encourage players newer to 5e to submit applications as he makes it fun and easy to learn the system.
I know he is a real person but now all I see is an older dragon named Art peering over his bifocals into his computer screen. Thank you for that.

Last edited by Wyrom; 11-29-2018 at 05:08 PM.