RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter google facebook
5 7 0
... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Old 11-28-2018, 08:36 AM
Phil

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4900
Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat View Post
I need to finalize the list of firearms.
The DMG lists several firearms on page 268. By the 1930s basically anything in the "modern" category should be valid. They're very strong compared to bows and crossbows, though that's expected for veracity: in the past when I've run a world I want to take place in a modern setting but I want to keep traditional weapons viable, I've added the following level one spell, found on wizard, warlock, sorcerer and druid lists:
SpellInhibit Combustion
Level 1 Abjuration

Casting Time: Reaction
Range: 120 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 minute

When an object you can see in range would explode, or use explosive force to fire a projectile or produce thrust or mechanical energy, you prevent that explosion. The object becomes incapable of exploding for the duration. Objects which rely on explosive force to function, such as firearms and internal combustion vehicles, are inoperable.
Basically gives spellcasters a hard counter to firearms, creating a sort of rock/paper/scissors effect: modern firearms beat traditional weapons (because they're just stronger) but spellcasters easily beat firearms by simply turning them off, requiring the use of traditional weapons to beat spellcasters.

Firearms can still be used against spell-casters of course, either by attacking enmasse, from great distances, or unseen. Though the shield spell is as potent as always in situations like this.

Last edited by Phil; 11-28-2018 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:40 AM
Kraken Priest

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1691
Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh Zinrokh
Though I don't have the time to join a new game, this setting really got my creative juices flowing. So thought I'd share a few ideas that might inspire based on the time period.
  • A German pathologist with a habit for bringing the dead back. (Necromancer)
  • A Japanese Yakuza whose organisation is led by an Oni. (Monk/Blade Lock)
  • A courtesan from the dissolutioned Ottoman empire or Qing dynasty (Rogue/Enchanter/Bard)
  • A surviving Romanov noble living in exile. (Swashbuckler)
  • A polynesian whaler/tribal warrior. (Barbarian/Druid/Warrior)
  • An Afrikaner big game hunter. (Ranger)
  • A priest/monk of a Christian knightly order. (Paladin/Cleric)

Best of luck and happy gaming.

Last edited by Zinrokh; 11-28-2018 at 08:40 AM.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:59 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 226
Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya
All the talk of modern weapons reminds me of a question: What form will armour take in this period? For example, what's the 1930s equivalent of half plate?
Old 11-28-2018, 10:10 AM
Phil

Tools
User Statistics
I think James is done. I added another UA element to him, the "Scout" fighter archetype, a way to get him that forestry expertise his ancestry demands of him without having to have the stats to multiclass into ranger. The background is custom, representing his PHD. Not sure if "lab equipment" proficiency will ever come up, but he's got it. Going for part Indiana Jones, part Hank McCoy with him.

EDIT: Whoops, just saw that a roleplay sample was requested. I'll work on that today.

Last edited by Phil; 11-28-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:16 AM
Phil

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinrokh View Post
A surviving Romanov noble living in exile. (Swashbuckler)
This one is pretty great.

Have you heard?
There's a rumor in St. Petersburg...
Old 11-28-2018, 01:51 PM
Not in the face

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2465
Jat Jat Jat Jat Jat Jat Jat Jat Jat Jat Jat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange2099 View Post
In the above context, your to ideas for characters based on modern folklore is really starting to hook me! Can I submit a few one liners of my own to see what resonates for development into an actual character application?
HECK YES! I like the pitches being tide with folklore, but don't feel like you need to limit yourself to that.

There are so many good concepts being thrown around, I wish I was a separate person so I could play in my own game. DANM ME!
>Recruiting for The League of Extradordingary Gentlemen (5E)<
Old 11-28-2018, 02:05 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 444
ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka
The amount of pages you guys have generated while I was at work

I'm not sure who suggested the blood hunter class... I did consider it, but decided to go with something else from Matt Mercer

I'm not sure what rules there are in the PHB, DMG or other official sources, but there are firearms attached to Matt's Gunslinger subclass (I have the pdf for it if there are interested parties, I can share).

Now I need to go picture hunting for character references

Last edited by ihinka; 11-28-2018 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:22 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 543
Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat View Post
HECK YES! I like the pitches being tide with folklore, but don't feel like you need to limit yourself to that.
Then, let me add to Zinrokh's list and to borrow your earlier words, here are three ideas, which *I* wouldn't mind developing into actual characters to play (and if I don't get around to fleshing out any of these concepts, I'd be more than happy to see someone else have a crack at them!)
Very much open to further suggestions or comments as to viability or recommended alterations!
  • Komuso
    Character ConceptTheme Music
    Traveling bard based off the KoMuSou monks of ancient Japan. Plays the Shakuhachi (flute, in lieu of traditional wizard's wand?) with overall somber and calming effects. Primarily relies on the effects of his magic, specializing in enchantments and illusions. Also carries a traditional Naginata (Japanese pole-arm) for melee combat, if necessary.
  • Captain Ahab
    Character ConceptNothing concrete, yet. Unrelenting hunter of monsters. Could be interesting to re-create in 5e!
  • Zatoichi
    Character ConceptTheme Music
    Blind swordsman of Japanese pop-culture (Blade Warlock? OR Kensei Monk!) Think Marvel's Daredevil crossed with Japanese Ronin. Reference wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zatoichi

Last edited by Strange2099; 11-29-2018 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:39 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 470
GM DSP GM DSP GM DSP GM DSP GM DSP
Gabriel Van Helsing

Gabriel Van Helsing
right-aligned image

Name: Gabriel Van Helsing

Sex: Male

Nationality: Unknown (Lives in Vatican City, Italy.)

Role in the Party: Tracker, Some Knowledge, Ranged and Melee Combat.

Class: Paladin – Oath of Vengeance (9), Ranger – Hunter (3)

Alignment: NG. The laws of men mean little to Van Helsing. He answers to higher powers.

Description: A flash of lightning reveals a tall man standing among the crenellations of the Vatican. A wide-brimmed, weather beaten hat masks most of his features save smoldering eyes and a strong, square, stubbled jaw. The man wears armored boots over waxed canvas trousers. A sturdy leather belt lays over a supple jerkin of black leather lined with red satin and supports a time worn sword of dull, glinting steel. The papal cross sits inlaid in the pommel while a coiling dragon forms the hilt. A dark, heavy duster jacket conceals bright, gilded armor, and a crimson scarf, the color of blood, floats in the gusting wind, anchored by his broad shoulders and thick neck. In his hands rests an ingenious crossbow of gold and glinting steel. In an instant, the illumination fades and with it, the man is gone.

Background: In the time before time, He was known as Gabriel: Archangel and messenger of the God of Abraham. His might and goodness were unparalleled. It is said he taught Joseph the 70 languages needed to rule in Egypt. He gave the gift of insight to Daniel and shielded him in the lion’s den. Gabriel also brought the news of the Christ child to Mary and Joseph, who was her betrothed.

It was around this time that Gabriel decided to live as a mortal for a time. It was not long before the weakness of his human form found him lost to himself. In AD 70 Gabriel found himself among the Romans at the siege of Jerusalem. For reasons unknown, even to himself, Gabriel channeled his angelic form to destroy the city.

For causing so much death and destruction, God stripped Gabriel of his power, but would not allow him to die. For nearly 1400 years, Gabriel wandered the land. He learned and loved and fought in every corner of the world.

In the 15th century, Gabriel was inducted into the Knights of the Holy Order where he served with distinction and honor.

It was in 1458 that he met and befriended Count Vladislaus Dragulia. The two fought together under Ivan III and in 1462, they were instrumental in the overthrow of the Mongols. After that, Ivan III declared Russia the third Rome. Later that year, for reasons unknown (even to himself) Gabriel murdered his friend and God punished him by stripping him of his memories.

For another 400 years, Gabriel drifted. He fought in wars, lived as a scholar and monk, he had 2 families and watched his great-grandchildren grow old and die. After that, he threw himself into conflict after conflict.

In July of 1866, during the Third Italian War of Independence against the Austrian Empire, Gabriel was gravely wounded. Half dead and mad with fever, he limped and crawled to the step of the Vatican where he lost consciousness.

Gabriel was taken, in secret, into the bowels of the Vatican wherein lays the current base of operations of the Knights of the Holy Order. They discovered Gabriel knew very little about himself aside from his name. The leaders of the organization put Gabriel through a great many tests of the mind and body and discovered he possessed a great affinity for battle and tracking; because of this, a Swedish Knight of the Order from Hälsingland gave him the moniker “Van Helsing,” which relates to soldiering. They also discovered him to have knowledge that no man could possibly have, but it was always incomplete and inexplicable.

In the end, the Knights of the Holy Order employed Gabriel Van Helsing as a monster hunter. After his success in tracking down and eliminating Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde, the Order dispatched Van Helsing to Transylvania to kill the Vampire known as Dracula and keep the last of the Valerious family from falling into purgatory.

Over the course of the hunt, Van Helsing is cursed with lycanthropy. In the end, Dracula turned out to be Gabriel’s friend, Count Vladislaus Dragulia. During their fight, Dracula revealed Gabriel’s true identity and caused Van Helsing to remember small pieces of his former lives.

Finally, as a werewolf, Van Helsing killed Dracula, but also murdered Anna Valerious as she injected him with a serum to cure his lycanthropy.

Van Helsing died of his wounds in Transylvania, but his companion and friend, Friar Carl, returned him to Rome where the Holy Order preserved Van Helsing’s body.

With tensions mounting in Europe and across the world, and with the League of Nations failing, The Knights of the Holy Order decided to resurrect Gabriel Van Helsing as their representative to the newly formed League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Here and Now: Van Helsing joined the League from his desire to make the world safe and as atonement for his many sins. He also hopes to uncover more about his past: maybe to go so far as to recover his position as Archangel.

Quick StatsGabriel van Helsing
AC: ?, DR: ?, Speed: ?ft
Passive Perception: ?

Last edited by GM DSP; 11-28-2018 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Formatting
Old 11-28-2018, 03:24 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 61
HandsOfBlue
From the second I read the 1930s bit, I couldn't get the thought out of my mind to reinvent a character that I couldn't help but be hooked on: a certain Mr. Shelby with a bladed flat cap who fits perfectly into the setting between the World Wars. He's a veteran soldier of WWI contending with war-induced mental instability, a charismatic criminal mastermind, and a scion of a superstitious gypsy bloodline. Add in a little magic for flavor, and you essentially have a warrior/rogue scoring points for the Slitheries.

Thoughts?
Old 11-28-2018, 03:58 PM
Not in the face

Tools
User Statistics
Ranged Weapon listFirearm Weapon Proficiency will be given out with Or any background with a military component.soldier background, or starting and multiclassing into fighter/ranger/ or other ranged weapon class like artificer.

Pistol 2d4 3lbs Ammunition 50/150, Cartridge: Bonus Actionreload 7 shots, Light
Revolver 2d6 3lbs Ammunition, 40/120, Manual: Requires Actionreload 6 shots, Light
Riffle 2d8 8lbs Ammunition, 80/240, Two Handed, Cartridge: Bonus Actionreload 5 shots
Riffle (Hunting) 2d10 8lbs Ammunition, 100/300,Two Handed, Bonus Actionreload 1 shot
Automatic Riffle 2d6 8lbs Ammunition, 60/180, Action Burst Fire: A weapon that has the burst fire property can make a normal single-target attack, or it can spray a 10-foot-cube area within normal range with shots. Each creature in the area must succeed on a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw or take the weapon's normal damage. This action uses ten pieces of ammunition.Burst Fire, Two Handed, Cartridge: Bonus Actionreload 20 shots
Shotgun 2d10 8lbs Ammunition, 20/60, Two Handed, Requires ActionManual 5 shots

Put whatever gun you are thinking of inside one of the templates. The pistol to me would be a colt 1911, the automatic riffle would be a tompson. But, you can use your own imagination here. If you want to be specfic about cartridge size bring it up, "Guns" arn't my thing in the same way stoves are not my thing. I don't know much about them other the some people use them to cook food. (TedCruz Bacon Reference)

Last edited by Jat; 11-28-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:06 PM
Not in the face

Tools
User Statistics
@handsofblue Jokingly, drop the magic and AWESOME! I love pinky blinders, hes a good character but how would you tie him in to the League?
Old 11-28-2018, 04:29 PM
Not in the face

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiya View Post
All the talk of modern weapons reminds me of a question: What form will armour take in this period? For example, what's the 1930s equivalent of half plate?
Half plate.

It's 1930s, which means I imagine guns are the weapon of choice for our magic front line. Which a dude with a sword already looks out of place. And people prefering guns probably have higher dex which lends itself to medium armor anyways.

I was toying around with str as DR but since smites and the like cant be applied to ranged weapons , I came to the conclusion that rules as written were fine.

@Phil i am going to pass on the spell.

Last edited by Jat; 11-28-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:07 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3183
anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac
Baron
right-aligned image

Name: Baroret Luurgetru, AKA 'Baron'
Sex: Male
Nationality: Manca (aka Bugbear). Disguises himself as an African from Congo.
Role in the Party: Melee combat, mix of damage and tanking.
Class: Oath of ConquestPaladin 5, Barbarian 2, CavalierFighter 5
Alignment: Neutral good.
Description: Because of a The amulet requires a small amount of mental effort to sustain the illusion. He is not capable of maintaining this effort when he enters his barbarian rage.magical amulet he wears, Baron has the luxury of displaying his outward persona however he wishes without actually necessitating him to purchase expensive clothes or consume copious amounts of time grooming himself. He's found that looking like a gentleman opens more doors and allows him far more options than looking like what narrow minded people judge to be an ignorant savage. So yes, he appears well dressed, although his mannerisms will not survive extensive scrutinysophisticated and educated. Being over six feet tall and two hundred pounds, Baron would attract attention regardless of how he clothed himself, so his African features serve as a ready explanation for his odd behaviors as well as his impressive size.

But Baron is no African. If he were to drop the disguise, you would find a massive individual over seven feet tall with brown, hairy skin and claws, a monster among men. Baron is heavily armed and armored. He wears half-plate and carries a Glaive for close combat and a rifle for anything else.

Baron owns a Henderson custom Motorcycle which he has named 'Blackfoot'. When he returned home after his quest to find Manqu Qhapaq, he had his father replace some of the front panels with a steel-tungsten alloy to make it more resistant to gunfire and other vehicles. He prefers his own ride over other transportation.

Background: For millennia a secret empire has existed high in the Andes mountains of southern Columbia: The fabled kingdom of El Dorado. Few travelers who climbed the cliffs to peer down into that valley were ever seen again, but those who did spoke tales about a tropical paradise with incomprehensible amounts of gold and wealth, guarded by imposing monster men - armored guardians standing seven feet tall, wielding exotic weapons and speaking a tongue unknown to humans.

These guardians call themselves the Manca, and they call their kingdom Cucoe. The valley floor is fifteen by eight miles, filled with all manner of steel and wrought iron buildings that have been gilded with gold to protect against rust. The cityscape is covered not with snow as one would expect at this elevation, but with pineapple bushes, Banana trees, and other tropical plants. But while over a million Manca live in this fertile valley, six times as many live in the majestic corridors and halls hidden below. They spend their days cultivating mushrooms, building strange devices, and worshiping the fire god Manqu Qhapaq at the forges. Manqu Qhapaq is not some fictional being off in the heavens to be prayed to, but a real, living entity of fire, heat and anger! Without consuming coal or air he provides heat and light to the denizens of Cucoe. His body powers the vast forge-works, where thousands of pounds of Steel, Gold, aka Tungsten.Adamantine, aka Titanium. A new metal to the humans, the Bugbears have been working this metal for a few centuries now. Much of the difficulties around titanium smelting are removed when your heat sorce doesn't require oxygen or carbon.Mithril, glass and other products are made on a daily basis. It was here in the forge-district of Cucoe that an Adamantine smith named Hruggagek Luurgetru fell in love with and married a beautiful Priestess/Shaman named Gretru. Baroret was their first son.

Baroret's first memory is of him sitting in a window, basking in the aurora of heat and light coming from the forges. He remembers learning from his mother about their divine provider, Manqu Qhapaq. He watched his father craft amulets and toys. But his favorite pasttime was watching the Cobalt Guard drill. A thousand man strong, this was Manqu Qhapaq's personal guard of aka Paladinspriest-warriors. As a teen Baroret no other ambition than to one day prove himself worthy of becoming a member of this elect unit. He trained for countless hours with the quarterstaff. He learned every stanza of the divine catechism until he could recite them in his sleep. The day he received his blue brigandine was the proudest moment of his life.

No kingdom the size of Cucoe is entirely without visitors. Dire Rats and Kobolds could cause problems in new mineshafts. And on the top end, birds, Jaguars, and humans would occasionally wander into the valley. Usually they got shot or got their heads bashed in by the city watch and that was it. But with dozens and dozens of possible entrances, sometimes things got through. One day one of the surface corridors was invaded by a force of albino humans wielding deadly rapid-fire guns! Once inside Cucoe they scattered and managed to escape capture long enough for four of them to make their way to the central forge. There they fought with the Cobalt guard and got close enough to leap into Manqu Qhapaq when the bridge they were standing on broke. Two of the humans were young women.

It was mentioned earlier that Manqu Qhapaq burned without coal or oxygen, but the god is not without fuel. He is fueled every few months by the sacrifice of the There's a competition and everything. And one of the duties of the Cobalt guard is to prevent ugly women from attempting to throw themselves to Manqu Qhapaq, a crime punishable by death.most beautiful virgin. Well, apparently the whole beauty thing? Pure tradition. Those two humans girls who sacrificed themselves were the ugliest things Baroret had ever seen. They weren't even wearing sexy clothes! Manqu Qhapaq ate them greedily nonetheless, and his fury rose! It was like... have you ever seen an explosion? As the god shredded his confines and ravaged through the kingdom, he consumed more virgins and with each he got bigger, hotter, more out of control! Over a million Manca had perished in this holocaust by the time Manqu Qhapaq emerged on the surface, his greedy flames drying up the lake and roasting the grand trees of the valley. Then he turned his attention north.

The high shaman summoned the surviving Cobalt guard to pursue their god and return him by any means necessary. Equipped with Human-form amulets as disguise, a hundred elite Manca warriors emerged from the mountains and began making their way north, following the destruction. They fought the Manqu Qhapaq in the human kingdoms of Guatemala, Guerrero, Flagstaff, Colorado. Every time they failed - Manqu Qhapaq moved so quickly, they could not prevent him from consuming human virgins, and his fury was then too great to allow capture. In the kingdom of Boise, the frustrated commander - an churlish Manca named Maglaretoret Gnukaask - decreed that their diminishing forces would try a new strategy: Kill all the humans in the path of Manqu Qhapaq. He was opposed by one of the younger members of the guard: Baroret Luurgetru. Baroret argued that they would accomplish more by securing the cooperation of the human kingdoms. Their argument came to blows, bloodshed, battle. Baroret and four of his companions were the only survivors.

Once they'd recovered from their wounds, Baroret and his companions purchased mechanical steeds and set out to get ahead of Manqu Qhapaq. Baroret met with the kings of the These are two Native American Tribes with Reservations in MontanaFlathead and Blackfeet nations and explained the danger as best he could. A remarkable thing happened. Not only were the humans perfectly willing to cooperate and restrain their virgins from sacrificing themselves to Manqu Qhapaq, but they also summoned reinforcements from a variety of human kingdoms and lands. People who knew stuff about gods and magic and fire. They not only helped relocate the human populations, but actively helped Baroret and his men to subdue and capture their god. Baroret learned that many of his beliefs about humans were completely wrong.

Six months to the day, Baroret and his surviving companions Ekegluhul and Uyaarigek once again set eyes on their beloved valley... but instead of a bustling city they saw only ice and snow. As Baroret navigated the tunnels his god-lantern shone hope to the Manca starving in the darkness. With Manqu Qhapaq back in the forge and his power restored, the Manca began to rebuild their broken kingdom. The old high shaman and nearly half the population was dead, their bodies fed to the mushroom farms to provide food for the remnant. The new high shaman came to Baroret with a request: Return to the human world, and renew his contacts. The world is advancing so rapidly - Cucoe must not be left in darkness and ignorance again.

Last edited by anamiac; 12-14-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:09 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3183
anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac
Before I get into my application more, I just want to verify that what I have so far is allowed.

Last edited by anamiac; 11-28-2018 at 05:11 PM.