RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter google facebook
5 7 0
... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Old 11-30-2018, 01:38 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 226
Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM DSP View Post
+1 for the Nimue idea.
Thanks. Nimue gets surprisingly little attention. She's the original owner of Excalibur. She's Merlin's disciple and successor. She's Arthur's sharpest advisor. A woman like that was practically born to be in games like this.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:51 AM
Not in the face

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2465
Jat Jat Jat Jat Jat Jat Jat Jat Jat Jat Jat
To me yet completely open for debate, warlock powers are bartered for. There is an agreement between the parties. It could be friendly we each scratch eachother's back or it could be somewhat forced. But, the powers are borrowed none the less.

Sorcerers are thrusted into their abitlities. Be it bloodline, an event, or othwise they are passive in the aquistion of power.

So then I ask what draws you to the warlock? What themes are u looking for? What style of combat are you going for?
>Recruiting for The League of Extradordingary Gentlemen (5E)<

Last edited by Jat; 11-30-2018 at 01:54 AM.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:00 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 644
Tinuviel Tinuviel Tinuviel Tinuviel Tinuviel Tinuviel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat View Post
To me yet completely open for debate, warlock powers are bartered for. There is an agreement between the parties. It could be friendly we each scratch eachother's back or it could be somewhat forced. But, the powers are borrowed none the less.

Sorcerers are thrusted into their abitlities. Be it bloodline, an event, or othwise they are passive in the aquistion of power.

So then I ask what draws you to the warlock? What themes are u looking for? What style of combat are you going for?
Ok, the DM has the final say in interpretation, so not going to contest that. Two things are what drew me to warlock: 1. The flavor & mechanics of the GOO patron, where madness and horror are prevalent themes, and I wanted to try out a "psychic" build; 2. Eldritch blast with invocations is a pretty neat ranged spell (though I suppose firearms would do the trick too, but EB can be versatile)

That said, I do agree with you that a Sorcerer might be more appropriate to how I described the character.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:08 AM
Not in the face

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
To me yet completely open for debate.
Quote:
Ok, the DM has the final say in interpretation, so not going to contest that.
Uhhh oh now we are Canadian fighting! I really meant that if you want to try to explain why I am wrong about my interpretation I am 100% game. I love talking about dnd.

What mechanics are you interested in? Flavor is easy, we can work together to get the themes and feel you are shooting for.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:21 AM
Super-Hero

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1055
JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone
I have been looking into "Science Fiction" for that time period (remember the original League was based off of popular sci-fi from victorian age)
I have disovered that the primary subject of the time was mechanics particularly robots.
I was wondering if I could build a Warforged barbarian/Fighter. No weapon (Fists=warhammer?) with incredible strength and resilience?
I could really get into the whole sentient/nonsentient wanting to be a real boy thing, but wanted to get the go-ahead first.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:22 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 644
Tinuviel Tinuviel Tinuviel Tinuviel Tinuviel Tinuviel
Sorry, I did see you mention it was open to debate, I just feel bad for contesting a DM. I'm also sort of... bad at debates.

Anyway, the initial character in my arguably jumbled-multiple-threads/trains-of-thought-going-on head was:

1) A GOO warlock who's had this visions that are always on the verge of driving him mad; over time and due to pursuing a different discipline (aka multiclassing), he's learned to cope with this otherworldly force in his life (and the abilities that go with it) and has so far been trying to use his talents to bring about good in the world (in direct opposing to the apocalyptic scenes that always swirls inside his head). Mechanically speaking he could be a blaster/controller with a psychic flavor (plus some type of martial capability that won't be too MAD).

2) is in the PM I sent you.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:34 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 292
dhibidy dhibidy dhibidy
Quote:
Uhhh oh now we are Canadian fighting! I really meant that if you want to try to explain why I am wrong about my interpretation I am 100% game. I love talking about dnd.

What mechanics are you interested in? Flavor is easy, we can work together to get the themes and feel you are shooting for.
OMG STOP IT! YOURE HURTING ME, TOO FUNNY!

Me and my wife argue the same side of an argument to each other all the time. Do you know my wife?
P.S. I live in St Alaban's VT, 18 miles south of the Canadian border, Im well versed in Canadian arguments.... so polite!
Old 11-30-2018, 09:39 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 292
dhibidy dhibidy dhibidy
Quote:
Bugbear? Cavalier? I SEE THROUGH THE LIES OF THE JEDI! I know what your going for! I'd need to be insane to let you do that. Approved! I want a lineage out of you though. I want to know why he is here and now! You wanna cleave through my minions, I want a god danm good backstory for his race.

Hat of disguise: you'll have enough cash, but also you can do like an amulet of disguise. But, when he fights it needs to go away. I wanna feel the bear in your bug man bear.

Collasble glaive? Pitch me how this would look. I wanna say no, rock that areo hotah feel bruh.

Admantitum motorcycle: cuz I motor cycle isn't badass enough? You wanna blow a ton of money for no reason? Why though?
To overcome damage resistance of course.... and semi trucks...and brick walls.....and force cages......and mount Rushmore! YES!! MOUNT RUSHMORE!!!!!!! Take that 200 ft tall bias relief of Teddy Roosevelt!

Man bug bear does exist! I'm super cereal!
Old 11-30-2018, 11:11 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 470
GM DSP GM DSP GM DSP GM DSP GM DSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiya View Post
Thanks. Nimue gets surprisingly little attention. She's the original owner of Excalibur. She's Merlin's disciple and successor. She's Arthur's sharpest advisor. A woman like that was practically born to be in games like this.
Completely agree.
Old 11-30-2018, 03:41 PM
Not in the face

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Warforged barbarian/Fighter. No weapon (Fists=warhammer?)
sure, kinda fits the pseudo scifi feel. How would you present your character? Would you try to hide it?
Old 11-30-2018, 05:15 PM
Phil

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4900
Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnStone View Post
I was wondering if I could build a Warforged barbarian/Fighter. No weapon (Fists=warhammer?) with incredible strength and resilience?.
There's a Warforged "Juggernaut" subrace that already has a buffed unarmed attack as one of its features. IIRC, it has that, a str bonus, and the "powerful build" feature that lets you carry/drag stuff as if you one size larger.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:59 PM
Anointed

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1198
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
Well I was going to type out that I decided to make an application for this game and explain my 4 different ideas I was throwing around and ask questions but thanks for the Site glitching before I was done typing that is all gone....
  • Oriental Phoenix Sorcerer with maybe some monk levels(accidentally burns things down)
  • African Druid/maybe some Mystic levels & prefers Ritual/Runic magic.
  • Gunslinger that learned how to add spells to his gun(still new to 5e D&D so don't know how this would work)
  • A reporter that had worked for MI-6 during the Bolshevik Revolution(The news paper she works at is a front for the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen).

That's the short version.
Characters(Game): Gil Monroy(Freedom's Flight)/Aimi Kaoruko(Fleet Command: UFS Dresden)/Rain(The Wild Bunch)/Spinal Tap(The Third Great Matrix Crash)/Amya Falone(Storm King's Thunder)/Angus McDougal(The Ultimate Dungeon)
Old 11-30-2018, 09:47 PM
Not in the face

Tools
User Statistics
And SILK enters the field.

Your themes are cool. Thr pheonix sorc, and african druid are my fav. But your a great writer and player, I bet you can make anything appealing.

When multiclassing there are a few things to consider. Action dichotomy is a big one. How does the character play. I think ultimately you need to choose between attack and spells. If you split your focus you will be arguably weaker. (Not concrete) Take for example a Phoenix sorc + Monk, her attacks will be weaker then a full monk and her spells weaker then a full caster. Sure she will be versatile but if thats not your goal it's a sucky byproduct. Instead consider paladin 2 monk x sorc xx, now your fists apply to smite. All three classes blend. Where as monk sorc just clash. Similarly, magic classes stack poorly. At late game taking more then a level of a class will lose out on the level 9 spells! Most of the time it's not a big deal. But, still the same premise is carried through the earlier levels. At 5 a full wizard gets counterspell, and fireball. If he dips out he looses that. Sure he can gain it back but now your talking about level 4. In that way I am afraid of characters that don't have a flow. If versatility is your thing for that character AWESOME, for me that is Escario. But, you sacrifice a lot. The point of this game is high end play. I want to play in the super hero realm.

Last edited by Jat; 11-30-2018 at 09:48 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:05 PM
Anointed

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1198
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
Thanks for the feedback Jat.

In my original post I had reasoning's for going multiclass but after the page glitched I didn't feel like rewriting it all. The Phoenix Sorcerer and the African Druid concepts have the most solid concept so far.

I noticed almost everyone was going with a magical class so that's why I thought up the Reporter. Someone mundane to counter balance all the mystic arts. Even thought about having her be a completely mundane class that studies the occult for the newspaper/League, and then grab the 'Ritual Caster' feat to represent what she found out by sticking her nose in where it doesn't belong. Though having a character that can only cast spells as a Ritual will be more flavor then effective as a class I suppose. Idea is from the Order of the ???(cant remember the name right now) that kidnapped Sherlock Holmes in the first movie to stop Blackwood.
Characters(Game): Gil Monroy(Freedom's Flight)/Aimi Kaoruko(Fleet Command: UFS Dresden)/Rain(The Wild Bunch)/Spinal Tap(The Third Great Matrix Crash)/Amya Falone(Storm King's Thunder)/Angus McDougal(The Ultimate Dungeon)
Old 11-30-2018, 11:16 PM
Not in the face

Tools
User Statistics
I have a few applicants that are going mondane, which is awesome. I think your sorc pheonix monk sounds really cool. And I have mentioned the African druid to GM DSP (my RL homie) a bunch of times. "Man I wish I had one." But I will say the sorc fire monk Phoenix paladin would be brutal and very thematic. You hold in your hands my top two personal favorite ideas.

Last edited by Jat; 11-30-2018 at 11:17 PM.