RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter google facebook
5 7 0
... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Old 12-02-2018, 04:54 PM
Pseudodragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5227
Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous
I spent way too much time trying to figure out what class(es) Mary Poppins would be. I'm not sure what this says about me.
Supercallifragelisticexpialedocious
right-aligned image
Name: Mary Poppins
Age: It's terribly impolite to ask a lady that sort of question. (Quite a bit older than you expect).
Sex: Female
Nationality: British
Role in the Party: Negotiator and Arcane Expert
Class: Warlock 6, Bard 6
Alignment: Neutral Good. A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.

Description: Ms Poppins appears to be a prim, proper-looking British woman in her twenties or early thirties. Her clothes (always clean and crisp, from her ever-present hat to her shiny boots) are several years out of style, but for some reason no one finds this odd. She would just seem wrong in anything else. She is often seen holding a black Pact weapon. Mechanically a rapier.parasol with a bird-head handle and a floral-patterned Bag of Holding, if you'll allow itcarpet bag.

Sample RP:

Background:

Here and Now: Agent Poppins has been officially working for the league since 1928. Prior to this she had acted as "occasional independent contractor on loan." That arrangement began in 1910 after League officials caught wind of her now-famous Banks Case, wherein Poppins, going undercover as a nanny, used her wits and her strange magical abilities to prevent two children and their father from falling prey to a demon of misery. She disappeared, apparently into into the sky, when her mysterious patron called her to her next assignment. The League had to go through a middle-man to contact her-- a humanoid who goes by "Bert" and acted as her partner.

She specializes in negotiation and making people think that agreeing with her was their own idea. Considering the League's usual stance on magic-users within the organization, it is likely that this skill is the reason for her full-time employment.

Her associate Bert has also taken a position within the League. He is an excellent spy and he continues to work regularly with Poppins. Beyond a genuine desire to do good and a true fondness for Poppins, his motives are unknown.

Last edited by Pseudonymous; Yesterday at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:00 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 644
Tinuviel Tinuviel Tinuviel Tinuviel Tinuviel Tinuviel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonymous View Post
Class: Warlock 6, Bard 6
Celestial patron? Or... It all makes sense now!
Old 12-02-2018, 09:46 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 644
Tinuviel Tinuviel Tinuviel Tinuviel Tinuviel Tinuviel
APPLICATION WITHDRAWN Sorry to go but it's the responsible thing to do

Mr. Saturday
right-aligned image
Name: Saturday
Sex: Male
Nationality: Haitian
Role in the Party: mid-line melee, healer
Class: Cleric (9) / Rogue (3)
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Background: WIP
Description: Once the smoke from his cigar clears up, the tall, ebony-skinned figure reveals a face with a white skull painted on it; when he smiles, people shudder. A top hat adorns his black locks, which itself is adorned by jet black feathers and small bones. His eyes are obscured by dark-tinted glasses, that somehow make the skull on his face look even more macabre. A long, black armored coat drapes his painted torso, and pinned to its collar is a holy symbolbrooch in the shape of a coffin made from metal and bone. This man who calls himself Saturday walks with a strange-looking cane almost as tall as he. At the top of the cane sits a metallic skull whose sockets seemed to possess a light of its own. The skull is actually the pommel of a long, thin rapier or re-flavor of itblade which he wields with exceptional skill.

Here and Now: After the war had been won, Saturday decided to join the League both to satisfy his curiosity and to make sure that the undead infestation is quelled in all parts of the world. As long as Rasputin remains active, there was no guarantee of that being the case, so the cleric continues serving until he gets to the necromancer. This time, he'll be the one to finish what the wizard started. He also wishes to experience this new world, for his only exposure outside Haiti (and outside the League's missions) are from the World War.

Last edited by Tinuviel; 12-11-2018 at 09:14 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:05 AM
Not in the face

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2465
Jat Jat Jat Jat Jat Jat Jat Jat Jat Jat Jat
Man you guys are tossing some great things out. Competition is going to be fierce!
>Recruiting for The League of Extradordingary Gentlemen (5E)<
Old 12-03-2018, 06:02 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 540
Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer
I'm so glad I've been watching this thread. Some great ideas here!
Old 12-03-2018, 07:38 AM
Court Jester

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8252
saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187
Completed. Any notes or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:17 PM
Not in the face

Tools
User Statistics
Leveling and Death: Each "mission" will earn your character one level. Some will be rather short in length, others will be a lot longer. If your character dies you will be free to make another character at level twelve. For whatever reason you don't like your character you can sub him out for another approved concept, starting at level twelve.

Resurrection Spell: Requires the body and someone that can cast it. The lot of you are the best of the world, you will be hard pressed to find a person capable of casting this spell.

Death Saving: Falling will be able to kill your character. The cap for fall damage is removed. Fall damage will incure an addition saving throw at the 150%, and 200% mark of your characters HP. This means a long enough fall will kill your character outright.

Combat: My goal is to run this game the NPCs close to their wisdom, and intelligence scores. Which means low wisdom monsters will typically chase the target that hit them last, or ones goading them. While highly intelligent npcs will finish off downed opponents.

Length: Some of the applications are far to short. When I get around to it I am going to make a nice table and mark the ones that are incomplete. For a great standard check out Silk's application.

Last edited by Jat; 12-03-2018 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:34 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3183
anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac
Question: If I wanted my character to be mechanically savy (ie, able to craft his own motorcyle or at least repair it), what skill or skills would that fall under? Would it be like being proficient with smith's tools?

Also, do I need to be proficient in land vehicles?

Now that I'm coming across this, it occurs to me that the way tools and proficiencies works in 5e is strange. For instance, you could be an urchin at level 1 and then spend 20 levels gambling every night in a tavern with your buddy who's an initiate, and at the end of it you'd still wouldn't be proficient with gaming dice. There are a few classes that learn additional proficiencies as they level, but for the most part, what you get at level 1 is what your character will have forever.

Last edited by anamiac; 12-03-2018 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:44 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 540
Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer
In the DMG thereís a section which allows a character to gain skills by training in their downtime, but itís an unusual thing to happen and is totally at the DMís discretion. In your example, I expect the DM would grant proficiency and maybe even expertise by the time the character reached level 20.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:02 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3183
anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
In the DMG thereís a section which allows a character to gain skills by training in their downtime, but itís an unusual thing to happen and is totally at the DMís discretion. In your example, I expect the DM would grant proficiency and maybe even expertise by the time the character reached level 20.
That makes sense! Baron doesn't become a cavalier until level 10, which is around the time he acquires his motorcycle. It wouldn't make any sense for him to have known how to drive a motorcycle at level 1. The bugbears of El Dorado do have a lot of technological know how, but the wheel isn't one of them. Too many stairs for it to be practical.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:03 PM
Anointed

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1198
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamiac View Post
Now that I'm coming across this, it occurs to me that the way tools and proficiencies works in 5e is strange. For instance, you could be an urchin at level 1 and then spend 20 levels gambling every night in a tavern with your buddy who's an initiate, and at the end of it you'd still wouldn't be proficient with gaming dice. There are a few classes that learn additional proficiencies as they level, but for the most part, what you get at level 1 is what your character will have forever.
Ya that threw me when I first started playing 5e. I was used to being able to pick up random skills as I leveled(3.5e).
But remember. There are very few skills that you 'Can't' use without having proficiency. @12th level, the difference between someone with Proficiency in something and someone without is only a +4(barring differences in stats). It just takes a different form of thinking.
On the subject of being proficient in a Tool, I am not shur if that means you can use it or not?
Characters(Game): Gil Monroy(Freedom's Flight)/Aimi Kaoruko(Fleet Command: UFS Dresden)/Rain(The Wild Bunch)/Spinal Tap(The Third Great Matrix Crash)/Amya Falone(Storm King's Thunder)/Angus McDougal(The Ultimate Dungeon)

Last edited by Silk; 12-03-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:56 PM
Phil

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4900
Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil
Quote:
Question: If I wanted my character to be mechanically savy (ie, able to craft his own motorcyle or at least repair it), what skill or skills would that fall under? Would it be like being proficient with smith's tools?
I just wrote down on my sheet "proficiency: Lab Equipment" even though no such proficiency exists, swapping it out for whatever other tool proficiency by background might have given me. "proficiency: auto repair" seems just as valid.

Quote:
That makes sense! Baron doesn't become a cavalier until level 10, which is around the time he acquires his motorcycle. It wouldn't make any sense for him to have known how to drive a motorcycle at level 1. The bugbears of El Dorado do have a lot of technological know how, but the wheel isn't one of them. Too many stairs for it to be practical.
There's a Unearthed Arcana article about "Modern Magic" which has a spell called "Find Vehicle" which is kind of like the Paladin spell "Find Steed" but, you know... with a motorcycle.

Article is here.

Most of the spells therein are "cyberpunk" in nature, which puts much of the article well beyond the scope of this campaign, but "Find Vehicile" should work well. It's available to Sorcerers, Warlocks, Wizards, and the "City Domain" Cleric which is present in the article.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:32 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 444
ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka
Not that I'm the expert on 5e mechanics, but on the question if you can use a tool you're not proficient in... You can use it, but since you have no idea how to use it /not proficient/ you don't add your proficiency bonus to the roll. For instance for thief tools you'd do Dex+prof bonus if proficient... And only Dex if not. And the dm might decide to throw in disadvantage to boot.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:07 AM
Not in the face

Tools
User Statistics
Modern Magic
Quote:
There's a Unearthed Arcana article about "Modern Magic"
I am going to decline it, If one wants to summon a vehicle in a city hail a cab. I have sort of been on a frustrating tirade against modern magic lately. Seems to me that certain spells have replaced legitimate role play. Looking at you hyperlanes.
ProficiencyI am going to give a each character extra languages and proficiency equal to their Int Bonus. I have a thing against dump stats. Automobile, I can't think of a better way to describe Proficiency MechanicRepair Tools, Military vehicles, D20+Dex+Proficency = Hitvehicles weapons will all be examples of modern day proficiencies.

When you use a tool I'll have you roll a tool use check, which will be most commonly highest stat + proficiency bonus. This section is sort of open to DM interpretation, but i'll try to be on the players side here. Particularly if you are a bug-a-bear mechanic with a broken adamantium bike. If you are not a mechanic it would just be your highest stat typically, possibly with disadvantage.
Feat: Elemental Adept
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew
+1 Mental Stat
When you gain this feat, choose one of the following damage types: acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder.

Spells you cast ignore resistance to damage of the chosen type. In addition, when you roll damage for a spell you cast that deals damage of that type, you can treat any 1 on a damage die as a 2.

You can select this feat multiple times. Each time you do so, you must choose a different damage type.
Spellcasting Change
Quote:
Anytime a player would have the option to learn a new spell, they can choose the acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunderdamage type to match. For example a newely level five sorcerer can learn Fireball, instead he can learn Frostorb mirroring the spell in every way but changing the damage component. When working from a spellbook or similar item, the character may acquire them as if they were completely different spells.
Mind ControlMind Control is an evil act, taking away a person's free will is morally wrong in the universe. The closer a spell is to The Imperius Curse the more immoral it is. Charming some one with magic is considered taboo, but within the confines of the league it is acceptable. Similarly, to a licenses to kill.

Last edited by Jat; 12-04-2018 at 02:16 AM.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:03 AM
Anointed

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1198
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
I will hesitantly say, that I am done with Diť Fu's application. Once I get the time I will see if anything need a touch up. I put the 'Background' and the 'Here and Now' in spoilers as everything got a bit long in my opinion
Characters(Game): Gil Monroy(Freedom's Flight)/Aimi Kaoruko(Fleet Command: UFS Dresden)/Rain(The Wild Bunch)/Spinal Tap(The Third Great Matrix Crash)/Amya Falone(Storm King's Thunder)/Angus McDougal(The Ultimate Dungeon)