RPXP: 378
Papillon Papillon Papillon Papillon
Bad Moon Waning

APPLICATIONS CLOSED
Game
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeRural, Mystery, Social, Paranoia, Murder
FlavourWhodunit
Plot SummaryBad Moon Waning is a published 3.5e module. I have carefully converted it to fit 5e. Please do not apply if you have already played this adventure.

Adventure BackgroundDeepwood is a small community consisting of hunters, loggers, artisans, and a few hardy families who just prefer to live far away from cities. There are a couple of farms in the surrounding area, but the people here subsist for the most part on fish, game, and naturallygrowing crops such as mushrooms, wild vegetables, and seasonal fruit.

The people of Deepwood have always led quiet lives. Traders come through a few times a year to exchange goods and materials made in the cities for local furs, pelts, artwork, and lumber, but otherwise there are few visitors. The nearest town of any significant size lies several days ride to the east. News from the outside world takes a long while to reach this isolated community, and word of events taking place in Deepwood can take days or even weeks to spread to the rest of the world. Until recently, however, very few people noticed or cared about such delays, since so little of interest ever happened here.

In the past few days, however, word has begun to spread in the outlying areas that all is not well in Deepwood. The only point on which the rumors agree is that the local priestess has been slain savagely mauled by some sort of animal and that terrible creature now stalks the tiny village, seeking more prey. Beyond this information, the details are sketchy and sometimes conflicting. Some tales say that the beast has already been killed; others claim that the townsfolk have seen several half-man-half-beast creatures roaming the woods at night. A few say that the woods around the village echo with the howls of an unusual number of wolves and wild dogs.

Description of the campaignIn Bad Moon Waning you will be taking your adventurer into the rural backwoods of a tiny village to investigate the situation. You will be traveling from point of interest to point of interest, talking to NPCs, gathering clues, and forming your own opinion of what is going on. There will be a lot of skill checks, dialogue, some exploring, and Depending on choices, it can get difficultvery little combat. Sandbox feel, so if you want to split up you can.

Tone of the campaignI tend to take a gritty approach to descriptions but leave dialogue in a more lighthearted feel. For example,
Quote:
As you stumble down the crumbling stone steps into the grave, silence and darkness envelops you. A cool light filters into the tunnel and you walk through a stone archway into a moderately crowded square. The air is crisply cold and a pallor has swathed the landscape in a colorless mockery of life. The sky is black and featureless, devoid of sun, moon, or stars. The area is lit with dim light and with no discernible source. Everywhere you look the world is depicted in shades of black and white.

Despite the abrupt transition, Bill is unfazed. He turns wryly toward the group, Welcome to Gloomrot.

Expectations
  • Posting rate: 4/week
  • Cutoff date for applications: December 7th
  • 3-5 Players
  • Use of spellcheck and infrequent grammar mistakes
  • No rolls in application thread

Character Creation
Level 10 Base races only LG, NG, CG, LN, and N alignments allowed
PHB and linkable online resources(Don't freak out the locals. They have enough on their plate.on approval) Copy & Paste "Character Submission" Fill in the form and post it in this thread
No character sheet needed on application specifics & bonuses only discussed after acceptance to the gameGear/gold by DMG.38, lvl 10, high magic Point buy

Character SubmissionName:
Class:
Physical Description:
RP sample: While traveling, you encounter a merchant or other wanderer who has just come from Deepwood. In the course of conversation, she tells you of the troubles there. You decide it is worth looking into.

There are a couple reasons for the level 10 requirement
  • As a level ten character, your background includes an increased scope of notoriety. People trust that you can handle the problems facing a small city or, in this case, the big problems of a small hamlet. In other words, you've idiom: to do something which shows that one deserves to be accepted and respected by the other people in a field or professionearned your stripes.
  • To handle the challenge that the story indicates and the monster manual pits you against, level ten is appropriate to keep it fair.
  • 5e doesn't give you massive bonuses to skills like previous versions can. Level 10 allows an unskilled fighter to fully participate in a social encounter.

Applications
CharacterUsernameComplete
Jaskarr ByokeeVarneYes
Mura HavenhornDrachenspiritYes
Tay TrefenwydSeekr34Yes
Del WrenhartTouketsuYes
Clive BransonPhilYes
Bess NorthlyEricg1sYes
N/AMadDokMike-
Brengur AshsongLuthielYes
Mustrum SithgullyLazerYes
Krus …sitaymerMattLovesCoffeeYes
Iselda DrakensdottirNorthOfOrdinaryYes
Gwethren NightshadeTinuvielYes
TobenShaedeYes
Sister GwendolynLepidopteraYes
Brahg StonecleaverSolid SnekYes

Last edited by Papillon; Yesterday at 02:17 AM.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:30 PM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Varne
Name - Jaskarr Byokee
Age - 36
Race - Human
Class - Fighter
Phys Description - Blond Haired male with a twin braided beard going down to his chest, he has green eyes and some scars on his hands and face, some from fighting others from differing sources. He wears a buckskin clothing and has a bear skin coat for when it becomes colder. He stands six foot and has a slight limp, nothing to severe he cant push through. On his back he carries a backpack filled with the usual gear in addition to some writing supplies that he uses to pursue his hobby, cataloging interesting stories and facts from his travels.

Rp sample - Jaskarr walked through some nameless forest taking in everything around him that stuck out as new. He jogged down what he felt was an important foot note and continued in such a fashion until he camped for the night. Finishing a more drawn out explanation in his book using the footnote's references. He rubbed his hands together every so often to keep them warm until he finished his work and then set down to bed. It has been a while since he last saw his old country he thought while he pulled his bear skin roll over himself. Jaskarr's clansmen held tradition in a higher standard and that left little room for what interested Jaskarr, the stories passed down from the elders at the campfires reinforced his interest to explore and write his findings. Thoughts of home and the further journey played back and forth in his mind until at last he fell asleep.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:19 PM
CommunityCoffee Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6453
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Application -WIP
left-aligned image
Name: Mura Havenhorn

Race: Human

Class: Warlock [Patron - The Raven Queen]

Physical Description: She stands 6'2" tall with Ebony hair, light blue eyes, and fair skin. She wears no armor and fitting clothes. She's quite shapely and fetching, and there always seems to be a Raven on her shoulder. She looks at you with a pleasant gaze that seems to say she could smile at any moment.

Reputation: Mura had become known as an Undead Hunter and even Bounty Hunter of sorts. She had no problem collecting a bounty of a beast or person whom The Raven Queen had deemed a target. Most of the time it was those who were into something unnatural that upset the balance between life and death, more on the death side of course. Most people didn't quite get what concerned The Raven Queen, and thus Mura, and what didn't seem to concern her. Sometimes she seemed to genuinely care about someone or some community, then another time she wouldn't seem to be bothered in the least when say a plague or disease befell a community. "Death comes to us all; no one escapes", is something she has said often, and sometimes in the worst of times and places.

RP sample: Ravens are ridiculously intelligent, and have a high level of cognitive control when presented with tasks and even tools to get them delayed food rewards. They even understand bartering when tested and the ability to resist the urge to take an immediate reward in favor of getting a better one in the future. These capacities are often considered the exclusive domain of humans, humanoids, and great apes, so their presence in Ravens comes as a surprise almost every time.
Even if all this were taken into consideration, this particular Raven, sitting on this particular hitching post was far more than this. It's name is Red, though only the one it is in service to knows why she calls it that. Futhermore, it is not only more intelligent that a normal Raven, it is not a normal Raven by any description of the word normal, or the word Raven. Most of the time it is a spirit in the form of a Raven, though currently its spirit is merged with that of a human woman named Mura; not that anyone could tell by looking at it.
It cocks it's head and hops just like a normal Raven, though it does seem intent on watching the Farrier and the man whose horse he is tending to at the moment.
"So it was a hairy man, and not a wolf", says the Farrier.
I dunno for sure about the hairy man, but it wasn't a wolf. It was up on two legs" , says the man who brought the horse in.
"And once you turned and came back this way, it stopped chasing you. That right?"
"Seemed thataway. Like I was in its territory more than it wanted to do me harm."
"Could be it woulda done you harm had you stayed in its territory. Wait. What am I sayin'. The territory you're talkin' 'bout is Deepwood, not no... way out desolate place. Course... some would argue that's exactly what Deepwood is."
"I could see the tops of the town buildings and houses before I turned back. Hey. That's not bad. Quick work too", said the man when he saw the Farrier was done.
"Weren't much to it. Just somethin' knocked the shoe loose is all. C'mon inside and we'll settle up", he said as he led the man into his makeshift office inside the stables.

The Raven flitted up to the top of the saddle of the mount that had just been reshod and canted its head as if it were trying to listen to the men who went inside.
After a moment it then flitted to the ground in the narrow alley between the Stable and the business next door before hopping back into the Shadow.
In a moment a tall pretty Ebony haired human woman in fitted attire and traveler's dress stepped out of the shadow, the Raven on her shoulder.
She said to the Raven, "You're right. That's the 9th conversation we've listened to in the past day or so that indicates the same thing. Something is cheating death, the natural way of it at least. More than one something from what I've heard. Doesn't sound like undead, but it isn't more times than not. Whoever, or whatever you are, the Queen awaits you. And it's my job to make sure you are not late. Come Red, let's go. Scout the way please."
The Raven takes off and heads out of town on the road to Deepwood, the woman seeing what it sees in her minds' eye.

Last edited by Drachenspirit; 12-05-2018 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:18 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1359
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Name: Tay Trefenwyd
Race: Wood Elf
Class: Druid/Ranger
Physical Description: H stands at 6' even, long copper colored hair, going well with is piercing amber eyes. A bow at his back and a sword at both hips and a dagger at his thigh. He is well armed indeed. But his green and brown outfit, especially his cape, seeming to be made out of leaves, he looks like he was part of the forest, for even the forest creatures seem to accept him as their own. The fact that he would look out of place in a city is mute.
[IMG][/IMG]
RP sample: During his travels he made a stop for the night. He was making dinner when a crow began to caw. He looked around and listened, hearing something approaching. He hid and saw two humans, an old man and boy who not a child but not yet a man. They seems harmless enough and he stepped out and greeted them and offered them his food. They thanked him kindly and they talked.

The elf spoke first. "Where you traveling to?"
Old man answered. "To where my nephew lives, me and my grandson left our home in Deepwoods, not safe there anymore."
Tay turned to the face the man. "Deepwoods? I heard stories in bits and pieces, since you are from there, perhaps you can tell me what is exactly going on there?"

The old man nodded and while they ate, told the elf the happenings of Deepwoods. Tay became more interested the more the old man talked. Something was not right in the forest of Deepwoods, was it some wild animal or a were-creature? He would have to take a look for self. Perhaps he can get some information from the forest creatures there, they would be able to tell him better than the people of just what is going on exactly.

So the next morning, the elf bid the two humans a safe journey and he himself headed towards Deepwoods...

Last edited by Seekr34; 12-01-2018 at 01:54 AM. Reason: adding more info
Old 12-01-2018, 08:53 AM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 901
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
How do you feel about multiclassing? I’ve been wanting to try building a “skill monkey” for a while, and this seems like a great game to attempt it.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:55 AM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 901
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Character Submission
right-aligned image

Del Wrenhart

Class: Rogue/Bard

Physical Description:

RP sample:

Last edited by Touketsu; 12-07-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:33 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 181
MadDokMike MadDokMike
I'm interested. Nice opportunity to start at lv10. Will you support UA ranger ? Can provide link
Old 12-01-2018, 10:34 AM
Phil

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4855
Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil
Clive
right-aligned image
Name: Clive Branson
Race: Human
Class: Rogue 8 (Arcane Trickster)/Warlock 2 (Hexblade)
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Description: Clive looks however he needs to look. Without a wig or fake beard, he's bald and clean shaven, but he's almost never seen without a disguise. His mundane collection of disguises is augmented by stolen magic, so he can appear to be, quite literally, anyone.

Backstory: Clive is a conman, a thief, and a high-ranking member of the Fraternal Order of the Mockingbird, a Thieves Guild based out of Waterdeep. The Mockingbirds follow a code by which they only steal from those who deserve it, though one can often earn the attention of a Mockingbird simply by being adequately rude. Through the years, Clive has stolen from enough spellcasters to have picked up a few of their secrets himself, but two years ago an attempt to steal an enchanted sword from a particularly arrogant wizard did not go exactly as planned; it turns out the item was locked up not because it was valuable, but because it was dangerous. Clive didn't steal the weapon, he freed it, accidentally ingratiating himself to a hexblade. That particular heist got him in some trouble: there was too much heat, and so Clive felt it was best to take a vacation for a while, at least until the wizard and his allies stopped looking for him. What better place to hide out than a miserable backwater like Deepwood?

Notice: I'll be out of town unexpectedly from the 1st to the 10th of December due to a family emergency. Due to modern conveniences, I'll be able to post, but my posts are likely to be short and fairly uninteresting for the duration. Apologies.

Last edited by Phil; 12-02-2018 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:55 PM
Fluttering Freedom

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touketsu View Post
How do you feel about multiclassing? I’ve been wanting to try building a “skill monkey” for a while, and this seems like a great game to attempt it.
multiclassing is allowed. If accepted, I'll give you a XP total to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDokMike View Post
I'm interested. Nice opportunity to start at lv10. Will you support UA ranger ?
yes

Last edited by Papillon; 12-01-2018 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:40 PM
Phil

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4855
Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil
Did everyone get the bear wasn't real? I'm never 100% sure how best to write illusions.
Notice: I'll be out of town unexpectedly from the 1st to the 10th of December due to a family emergency. Due to modern conveniences, I'll be able to post, but my posts are likely to be short and fairly uninteresting for the duration. Apologies.
Old 12-01-2018, 05:09 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1641
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Name: Bess Northly
Race: High Elf
Class: Rogue
Physical Description: Tall and thin, with pale skin, eyes, and hair. Has very long fingers, and sharp, angular facial features. Keeps her hair short and wears light grey cloth, plus leather armor. Left-Handed.
Background: Scholar. Was sent away from a magical academy for stealing everyone's lab notes.
Alignment: Chaotic Good, and never means any harm. Won't steal things of real value (except possibly from monsters.)
Ideal: Somewhat uncertain; just wants to have fun.
Flaw: Lacks discipline and self-control.
Quirk: Tone of voice changes as she speaks.
Bond: Uncertain, might form during play.
RP sample: The cart groans as the oxen struggle to pull it. It is clearly overloaded, even with the merchant trying to lead it from the front rather than riding in it. As it comes around the bend, the animals stop to rest, and Bess stops to talk...
"Hello there-where are you headed?"
'Just away. Need to get my wares away from Deepwood.'
"Why-what happened in Deepwood?"
'Some sort of animal killed the priestess of the temple. It's too dangerous to stay with all the strange attacks.'
"I should probably go there to figure out what's going on myself."
'Trust me-you DON'T want to go there!'
"Thanks for the warning..."
By the time the wagon is unstuck and moving again, Bess has headed down the road....She wonders what is going on in Deepwood, and why the merchant is his core stock with him. He no doubt sold the rest of his wares very cheaply to the neighbors and closed up his shop before leaving. When the merchants pull out at a loss, SOMETHING needs to be done. Plus, there will probably be a chance for lots of fun and adventure if she gets involved here...
Old 12-01-2018, 05:45 PM
Fluttering Freedom

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Did everyone get the bear wasn't real? I'm never 100% sure how best to write illusions.
I asked myself, huh? Then I glanced back at the Arcane Trickster and had an "aaaaahhhh" moment. A brief mention of the bear dissipating after Paul turns away, possibly with a flick of the wrist from Clive would help sell the illusion.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:34 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 49
Luthiel
Hmmm, I'm still learning 5E, but I'll give this a shot.

Character Submission
left-aligned image
Name: Brengur Ashsong
Race: Human (variant)
Class: Paladin
Alignment: Lawful Neutral (with Good tendencies)
Physical Description: Brengur has spent his entire adult life traveling and fighting, and it shows. He looks at least 10 years older than his actual age, his skin worn by sun, wind, and battle scars, his hair showing signs of graying, and the lines around his eyes and mouth come from having seen too much and lost too much. His equipment is likewise well-worn - faded cloak, scratched armor plate, and dusty boots - but is nevertheless kept in good working condition.
Personality: Despite his rough appearance, Brengur is capable of being kind, even charming when he manages to shake off his weariness. Age and experience have worn smooth the rough mannerisms one might expect of a man whose entire life has been dedicated to vengeance. Still, he is often given to fatalism and melancholy episodes, and occasionally even bitterness when he sees others enjoying the life he was supposed to have. Should evil present itself, though, Brengur casts emotions aside to act as a merciless, grimly efficient slayer of the wicked.
Background: As a young man, Brengur seemed destined for a comfortable if unremarkable life, growing up in a small rural town as part of a reasonably well-off family, with a promising career in his father's store, and a long-time love promised to marry him. Certainly, he had no reason to suspect that a two-week trip on a family business errand would completely change his world... but such are the vagaries of fate.

Two weeks after leaving home, Brengur returned to find his hometown reduced to ash and rubble, destroyed by a marauding band of orcs. Everyone he'd ever known and loved, killed in the streets or burned to death in their homes. Mad with rage and grief, he swore an oath that day; he would not rest until every last resident of the obliterated town was avenged seven times over, seven evil souls sent to the afterlife for each of the five hundred and thirteen victims. With a slightly-charred roll of the town's former residents and an old sword he scavenged from the ruins, Brengur set off on his crusade, eventually becoming a paladin of vengeance.

That was twenty-two years ago. Since then, the hot fires of retribution have largely burned out in his soul. He's done many great deeds, made and lost friends and comrades, seen horrors and wonders beyond description, but he hasn't finished fulfilling his vow yet. Brengur has begun to regret the rashness of his youth, having given up any chance at a normal life for the path he walks. His former comrades have retired and settled down to enjoy the fruits of their adventures, but Brengur can't bring himself to abandon his quest for vengeance, weary though he is of fighting.
RP sample: Brengur sat in the warm, comfortable dimness of the inn's common room, tucked away in a corner with his head bowed over a tankard of ale. The melancholy was weighing heavily on him tonight, and the song being sung by the minstrel across the room - a ballad that had been quite popular a decade ago - didn't help matters. Zhela always did like this tune, he thought, remembering his former comrade and lover's lilting voice raised in song. "Always so glum, Bren! You need to let the past go and live in the present, " she'd be saying if she were here.

But Zhela wasn't here, nor were Rodik, Cihelnar or even old Hjolmond. Cihelnar was dead, incinerated by dragonfire, and the others had given up adventuring to enjoy the spoils from the dragon's lair. They'd urged him to stay, of course, especially Zhela, but Brengur had refused. That damned oath! the paladin mused bitterly. Shaking his head to chase the memories away, Brengur turned his attention to a conversation at the next table.

"Torn to pieces, she was!" said an older, thick-set man. Three other men - travelers, from the looks of them - listened with expressions ranging from disbelief to horror. "Now, some say it was some wild beast what did it, but others say they seen things running in the woods at night - not quite beasts, but not quite men neither."

The paladin drained his mug and stood, heavy boots clunking on the wooden floor. "Pardon me," he interrupted, and the four men turned to look apprehensively at the grim, weather-beaten stranger. "Where did you say this was happening?"Brengur asked.

"Ahh.. Deepwood. It, uh, it's a little village about a week's ride west of here. "

"Thank you. Have a good evening, gentlemen." With that, Brengur turned and marched out of the inn. Perhaps it was just wild talk, this story from Deepwood, but if not... well, Brengur wasn't one to pass up an opportunity to send some evildoers to hell.
"All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense." - Principia Discordia

Last edited by Luthiel; Yesterday at 12:38 AM.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:37 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1359
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
I think you will do fine. 5e is pretty easy to follow.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:56 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 472
Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer
WIP

Application: Mustrum Sithgully
right-aligned image
Name: Mustrum Sithgully
Race: Human (variant)
Class: Wizard (Divination)
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Background: Cloistered Scholar
  • Traits: I maintain a constant aura of mystery the better to dazzle the peasants.
    Everything is fodder for a joke.
  • Ideal: Knowledge: The path to power and self-improvement is through knowledge. (Neutral).
  • Bond: I canít let a mystery be, I must get to the bottom of it.
  • Flaw: I donít tend to realise just how loud and booming my voice actually is, especially when itís least appropriate.

Physical Description:
Mustrum is an unusually large man, especially for a wizard. He doesnít linger, he looms. But despite his physical bulk, he doesnít seem intimidating, possibly due to his permanent smile and general air of affability. He dresses in robes, as Wizards tend to, but his are stained with strange-coloured marks and in some places are going threadbare. His thin white hair is similarly unkempt but he does take care of his beard (mostly so it doesnít get tangled in his food).

Personality:
With a personality every bit as big as his frame, Mustrum is not difficult to notice. His booming laugh and just-too-loud voice are the bane of the Candlekeep Librarians, although it is hard to take offence at someone who just always seems so happy. Mustrum has three vices; he smokes his pipe nearly constantly, he has an oddly childish fascination with obscure or foreign swear-words, and he canít let a mystery be.

RP Sample:
The horse trudged away into the stable, white foam clinging to its flanks.

"You take good care of her," Mustrum called after the stable boy, "she deserves the best you have to offer!"

The wizard stretched, cracking bones in his back and shaking out weary muscles. It had been a long road and he was looking forward to getting a hearty meal and maybe even a nice warm bath. He looked up at the front of the inn, The Cart and Bullock, at the fading paint on the sign and the window shutter hanging off of its hinges.

"Well, Iíll settle for a warm fire at least," he said to himself. He approached the door, his hand dancing in front of him as he did, and suddenly the dirt of the road disappeared from his boots. As he pushed open the door the smell of roasting duck, spilled ale and a blast of heat assaulted his senses. He paused to acclimatise and then made his way to a table in the far corner. Two people were sitting there, obviously deep in conversation, but Mustrum didnít let that stop him.

"Good evening, fine fellows. Might I sit?"

One of them, a lady with blond tresses and a thick green dress, looked around, noting the empty tables, and looked like she was about to object. But before she could a look of recognition came over the face of the man she was with, and he stood and offered a rather clumsy bow.

"Master Sithgully! Please, please join us."

The woman looked at him again, eyes wide, and she too made to stand.

"Oh, no. Please. Sit. Iím just a humble traveller." This kind of reception wasnít unusual for him these days, since word of his appointment as advisor to the king had spread. For some reason people thought if you talked to a noble you should be treated like one, an attitude that Mustrum found more than a little exasperating. "So, whatís good here? I believe I can smell duck?"

"Pheasant," the woman replied, settling herself back down. "But I think Old Grumver has some venison that he has been saving. He might break it out of storage for a famous wizard."

Mustrumís mouth watered at the thought, but he wondered if perhaps it would be more politic to stick to the pheasant. Stories of a notable were bound to spread, and he preferred to be remembered as humble than entitled. Still, venison.

His musing was interrupted by another customer strolling over to the table. "Famous wizard? Did I hear right?"

Mustrum smiled brightly at the newcomer, a man who seemed well accustomed to travelling if his hard-wearing clothing was anything to go by. "A wizard, certainly. Famous, I donít know. I am lucky enough to keep some famous company though."

"They sendiní you to Deepwood then? About time somebody sorted this out."

For a moment Mustrumís smile faltered as he tried to place the name Deepwood. Where had he heard it before? Ah yes, a few miles back a small trail had led off the main road, heading west, with a sign which said Deepwood. Other than that one sign he had actually never heard of the place, which was unusual because he had travelled to almost every part of the kingdom.

"I was actually on my way back to the capital after a small mission for the Queen. What needs sorted out in Deepwood, if I may ask?"

The man nodded, apparently the fact that Mustrum hadnít known about the goings-on had confirmed his expectations. He pulled a seat over and sat down, plunking his mug of ale down noisily on the table.

"Murder," he said, looking with wide eyes at each of the others at the table in turn. It seemed that the man relished being the bearer of bad news. "And not just any murder, a priestess has been killed. Slaughtered, even, by some wild animal. And they say even now it stalks the streets and the villagers are afeart to go out. They donít sleep, howliní filliní their nights. And strange man-like beasts come scratchiní at the doors and windows, tryiní to get in."

Mustrum nodded at the man while trying to get the attention of the waitress. Stories like these were common. The peasants had to find ways to entertain themselves and exaggeration and hyperbole was common. Mustrum himself had been known to embellish some of his own deeds so he could hardly complain about the actions of the man.

"Ah, yes. Iím sure the king will send someone presently."

The man nodded again, his expectations once again confirmed. "Iíll leave ye to yer meal then," he said and immediately went back to his own table.

The remainder of the evening was pleasant and Mustrum found he quite enjoyed the local mead. In the end he did ask Old Grumver to cook the venison, and he was very glad he did, as were many of the other patrons who, it seemed, had been getting slightly sick of pheasant. It was late when Mustrum retired to his room, and he found he couldnít sleep. Something about the food didnít agree with him and he had to make several trips to the conveniences. It was three hours past midnight, by his reckoning, when he heard the howls, way off in the distance, and the story that the man had told him came back to his mind.

"Well, Iím not sleeping anyway," he muttered irritably. He got out of bed and unpacked some of his things. He sat in front of the guttering fire, poking at the coals and allowing himself to enter a trance. After a few moments and a string of arcane words he threw some sulphur onto the fire, causing a sharp puff of flame and some noxious fumes. He stared at the image in the smoke as it passed up the chimney.

"Ah, well, that does seem interesting," he murmured. Four hours later he was back on his horse and heading for the little trail out to Deepwood.

Last edited by Lazer; 12-03-2018 at 08:20 AM.
Closed Thread