Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Cypher > Hyperion
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Jul 29th, 2016, 12:32 PM
Certified Rapscallion

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29922
ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb
There were no signs of forced-entry...

... and nothing stolen.

Still, there was the overwhelming feeling that someone, or some thing had been there.

After a painstaking search, proof was found that an intruder had indeed gained access. A single foreign thread...
Old Jul 29th, 2016, 09:06 PM
Man・Earth・Sky
Good People  

Event Judge  

Hall of Fame 2015  

Hall of Fame DM 2017  

Hall of Fame DM 2018

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 63652
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
The commander had wanted to prepare things before the intrusion, had wanted everything to be in the right place. As it stood, it was a disparate, barren place, and he had wanted it to be just right before he invited his first, and much-needed guest. But fate intervened and time kept him from getting around to it. Life was funny like that.

Analyzing the thread, the commander could but say: "You're impatient, huh?"

And here we are.
Old Jul 30th, 2016, 01:01 PM
Certified Rapscallion

Tools
User Statistics
ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb ItsaVerb
"I..." the rookie looked sheepishly her boots. "No," she stammered, biting her lower lip, "maybe. I mean, a little, Sir. It's my first time in deep space. I'm ready. Just... excited, I guess."

OOCThere are 13 games in the Cypher forum, which was created per my wish in the wishes thread. I stalk the Cypher forum like a proud papa. Of those games, five were created by me, and I am playing in the only active one I didn't create. I feel like there shouldn't be a cypher-based game I'm not somehow involved in.

Last edited by ItsaVerb; Jul 30th, 2016 at 01:03 PM.
Old Jul 30th, 2016, 01:38 PM
Man・Earth・Sky
Good People  

Event Judge  

Hall of Fame 2015  

Hall of Fame DM 2017  

Hall of Fame DM 2018

Tools
User Statistics
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
The commander chomped on his cigar, top Nergal-grade synthbacco, looking her over. Spunky, quiet, unsure of herself. A few months in deep space and she'd be up to snuff. That or she'd be no more than snuff. It weren't nothing to wave your nose at, and he knew that. But he had learned that the hard way, just like the best of them. "So what'er your skills, hm? Got a list here, but glass lies. Wanna hear it from your mouth, not what you wrote down."
Out of CharacterWell, in the back of my mind I suppose I did know you'd find it eventually, but I had hoped to be better prepared. At any rate, I figured I'd give you a tour of the place and see what you made of it.

Here is where I'm going to build the ad and application process. That's my generic template that all ads come from and I work from there. I also plan on outlining the application process below.

This is where character discussions will go. Likewise, I'm building a Game Primer as well to give people some ideas of what to build their character off of. The basic concept of the game I'll remind you of below, but basically they tie into one of those concepts and we go from there. This is also where the ad process will move into its second phase. Basically I'll accept somewhere around 10 applicants, assuming I get that many, and I'll help them fluff their characters accordingly. Then I'll throw them in a vat and have them interact with one another in a dream-fugue state and see where it takes us. It may be canon, it may not be canon to the game, but it should be loads of fun.

And this is basically going to be my fluff part of the board, which will be treated like a Wiki. It's the ship's personal encyclopedia, and I'll build it only after I start building characters. I may put in some basic information like maps, like background, etc. etc., but I figure I'll start small and exciting. I've got the beginning of the game planned, I just need to start building from there.

The game is entirely player-based. I'm coming up with the setting and then just barely. Basically I'm borrowing concepts from Andromeda and from Dark Matter. The PCs all remember a small part of their past (thus the character tie-ins), some of which will be contradictory. They awaken from cyro in a world they hardly recognize, and have to make sense of what's happened, where they are, and how they fit into things, because the Hyperion will be important to the overall plot. What they become after that is entirely up to them: space pirates, freedom fighters, chaos space marines... Entirely up to them.

System-wise, I am loving everything I'm reading so far. So hands-off, it leaves room for everything else.

I just need to whittle down the possibilities and go from there.
Old Aug 2nd, 2016, 12:50 AM
Man・Earth・Sky
Good People  

Event Judge  

Hall of Fame 2015  

Hall of Fame DM 2017  

Hall of Fame DM 2018

Tools
User Statistics
Out of CharacterAlright, going through the book, help me wrap my head around something:

How does XP work in-game? What's your experience with it thus far on PbP? On a tabletop, I could see it slowing the game down, perhaps considerably.
Old Sep 6th, 2016, 04:07 PM
Certified Rapscallion

Tools
User Statistics
OOC

XP should be simple. For PbP you'd probably base it on reaching certain milestones. Plus, any time you introduce a GM intrusion, you'll give out some XP. I'd grant it pretty frequently (relatively speaking). Remember it's a spendable resource (counts as 'hero points'), and you need 16 XP to take the four necessary improvements to gain a tier. Each of those little bumps gives something that significantly impacts the game play. An extra Effort, An extra Edge, Stat pool increase, and skill increase.

The rewards just keep comin!