twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Jan 5th, 2020, 04:48 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 738
GoombaJosh GoombaJosh GoombaJosh GoombaJosh GoombaJosh GoombaJosh GoombaJosh
And done, fair warning the character I made is a bit simple and not that in depth like everyone else. But I think it's a fun character to play with, what do you think? Feedback much appreciated.
Old Jan 5th, 2020, 05:09 PM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12899
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyjellyfish View Post
It looks really good! I love the idea of "flocks" of kenku.
Here's a question for you, what is Woodwind's greatest fear?
That’s an interesting question!

I’d say... Wood’s ultimate fear is probably being alone. Despite his love of the road, one of the drawbacks to never settling down is that it’s hard to form lasting bonds with people. That’s another part of what he found appealing about bards; they SURROUND themselves with friends and strangers alike wherever they go. Kenku are reliable company where they can be found, but most tend to pick a place and settle there; in order to avoid having to brave the roadways and towns by himself, Wood developed a pretty agreeable personality early on, wanting to be liked so that people would want him around.

Kenku don’t have terribly long lifespans compared to other races, so Wood wants to live his to the fullest... preferably alongside some good friends.
Old Jan 5th, 2020, 08:45 PM
Deus Ex Machina

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 530
Mechaniacal Mechaniacal Mechaniacal Mechaniacal Mechaniacal Mechaniacal
Galvana ArueinAge: 28
Hair Color: White
Eye Color: Violet
Height: 6'7"
Weight: 263 lbs
Race: Aasimar (Scourge)
Class: Paladin
Subclass: Oath of Vengeance
Ideal: Charity. I always try to help those in need, no matter what the personal cost.
Bond: I will become the sort of person Alera thought I was.
Flaw: I consider myself to be judge, jury, and executioner far too often.
Trinket: Several strips of torn pale blue cloth -- currently being used as hair ties for Galvana's braids.

Personality

Galvana is a quiet woman. She's not antisocial, or brooding, but tends to keep her thoughts to herself unless she really thinks they need to be spoken aloud. She prefers not to be the center of attention in any given situation, and is more than happy to give the spotlight to others. That being said, she is more than happy to use her imposing size to her advantage to intimidate those who would threaten, harass, harm, or insult innocents in her presence.

Though Galvana is a mercenary by trade, she's -- perhaps surprisingly -- not driven by material gain. She accepts payment when it's offered, but makes no effort to force payment from those who can clearly not pay for her services. She does what she does out of a sense of duty rather than out of monetary need.

Some people might claim that Galvana is fearless, but that isn't strictly true. Galvana is of course, afraid of many things. However, she strongly believes that those who let their fear conquer them doom themselves to failure. As such, she often presses forward in the face of adversity. She's often the first to go into a bad situation, whether she has a plan or not, and tends to follow her gut on how to proceed rather than spending time making any such plans ahead of time.

While Galvana is no stranger to violence, she tends to be calm and levelheaded to a fault, attempting to avoid conflict when duty and oath allows it. When she is pushed to violence however, she positively seethes with a cold fury.

The "Why"

Galvana is a mercenary, and one that specializes in protecting those who can't effectively protect themselves. She's likely done similar work in the past -- albeit likely for commoners seeking protection on a trip to a neighboring town, rather than a royal taking a trip to another kingdom -- The potential for other rewards certainly helps too, of course. Everyone likes rewards for a job well done.

As for why I want to play Galvana OOCly -- she's a character that I've worked on for ages, and never had an actual chance to play. The image included is a commissioned image of her that I had done when I was considering playing her in another game a long time ago that never came about. This seems like as good a place as any to include her, I imagine!

Feedback Questions

Quote:
Wow she's already had such a full life!
Yep! She's had a full life, lost everything, and now she's starting a new life.

Quote:
If Galvana were a member of someone's family, how would they describe her? (Is she the fun aunt, the quiet cousin, the strict mom, or something else entirely?
I'd say she's closer to the concerned but supportive mother. The one who worries for her children, but understands that they have their own lives to lead and wishes them the best.

Quote:
How does Galvana let off steam?
Galvana enjoys listening to, and telling stories. The sort that you'd share around a campfire, telling tales of previous adventures -- maybe embellishing a little here or there for flair. Otherwise, punching things is always a good way to blow off some steam. She'd spar a lot during training in her army days, and while that isn't as easy to come by with her current lifestyle, she wont shy away from a 'friendly' brawl if it presents itself. And when neither of those are an option, she used to gamble with the other soldiers too -- and that IS something that she can do fairly regularly, for small amounts of money.

Quote:
does she have any vices?
If we used the storyteller system, with it's vices and virtues, I'd say Galvana's two biggest contenders are pride and wrath -- Wrath because once you've done something she decides is unreasonably cruel to someone else, you become her enemy and she'll go to great lengths to see you punished. Pride because SHE is the one who decides that. Also she cares an awful lot about her appearance.

Quote:
What would it take to make her smile?
It's not difficult to make Galvana smile. She's not a brooding, edgy, anti-social teenager; she's just quiet, watchful, and contemplative. Good things happening to other people will get a smile out of her. A good joke might make her laugh. Pride in a job well done will have her grinning.

Aaand that should do it! This should be more or less done, feel free to give feedback. I'll probably swing in and adjust things eventually.

Last edited by Mechaniacal; Jan 10th, 2020 at 01:16 AM.
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 05:29 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 715
AllyDJ AllyDJ AllyDJ AllyDJ AllyDJ AllyDJ AllyDJ
...I know that I'm not the GM, but I'm gonna chip in that I absolutely love the character. Part of it comes from a stance of the character I applied with-I think that they'd have a great dynamic, though I have NO idea if she'd enjoy the presence of Malori's endlessly optimistic, always happy, always wanting to make conversation with everyone around her self, but that's mostly up to Galvana.

And from an outside standpoint, I can tell you put a lot of work into the character. I don't have much critique, but that's because I think my app looks frankly outclassed next to this one. So...good job!

I have taken the Oath of Sangus. Will you?
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 05:50 AM
Deus Ex Machina

Tools
User Statistics
Oh I'm sure they'd get along just fine. XD She'd probably remind Galvana of Alera a lot. If you're up for it, we could tie the characters together somehow... Games always seem to flow better when the characters have ties that bind them together.

Last edited by Mechaniacal; Jan 6th, 2020 at 05:53 AM.
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 05:59 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Hm...sure. You got anything in mind? They seem to both be fairly well traveled, so them being in the same place at any given time to meet each other certainly isn't a problem.

Old Jan 6th, 2020, 06:04 AM
Deus Ex Machina

Tools
User Statistics
I'll think about it at work tomorrow and see what I can come up with.
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 06:07 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Lookin' forward to it. I have plenty of room to expand Malori's backstory, after all, so it's not like I don't have space to throw in ties to other characters.

Last edited by AllyDJ; Jan 6th, 2020 at 06:07 AM.
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 08:23 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 883
Thalric Thalric Thalric Thalric Thalric Thalric Thalric
Hey everyone!

I also just wanted to announce my interest in the campaign I have a fun concept in mind and I'm currently working on it, before posting it here. This would be my first official application to a campaign, so I'd like it to be a good one and there is so many good ideas and concepts here already.
I hope I can keep up

----

I'm finally done with my application, so here it is:

Click image for larger version

Name:	yahben.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	82762

Name: Yahben Hazelstone
Race: Halfling (Stout)
Class: Warlock (Archfey Patron)
Subclass / Pact Boon: Pact of the Chain - Sprite

Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Background: Guild Artisan - Cook

Personality Trait: I believe that anything worth doing is worth doing right. I can't help it – I'm a perfectionist
Ideal: I work hard to be the best there is at my craft.
Bond: One day I will return to my guild and prove that I am the greatest artisan of them all.
Flaw: I'm never satisfied with what I have, I always want more.

Appearance:
Yahben is usually seen wearing simple garb of cloth and leather. He has brown hair and eyes and sports some surprisingly impressive mutton chops. He is very slim and just over 3 feet tall. He carries a backpack, as well as a satchel, which holds his books. Hanging from the backpack are some cooking utensils and strapped to the back appears to be a small stool, which Yahben will often use to be able to work at tables not designed for his height.

Personality:
Yahben is a very passionate halfling and clearly defines himself by his love for all things food. He can be very dismissive of ideas that hold no interest for him and can be a bit too hasty in speaking his mind. He doesn’t tolerate people that have no respect for his work and will do his best to make them see, for what in his mind is the light. Yahben is not a solitary person and he likes to surround himself with people to perform in front of. He craves the approval of others, so he tries to make friends that will tell him the truth. He is not humble by nature and carries himself with the air of an artisan that knows he is skilled and wants to be recognized for it. This arrogance blends well with his passion and when you hear him speak he has a way of drawing you in and painting a picture with his words. Yahben is grateful to his patron for the gift he has been given but also scared of the costs that still might come his way, because of the pact. Not that he would ever admit that to anyone, of course.

Backstory:

Why:
The king’s decree was the perfect stepping stone for Yahben to experience new and exciting food and maybe even gain some companions along the way. Gaining people he could trust in would be valuable in the long run. But first and foremost it would finally give him access to the rich and wealthy. The people with influence and wealth that one day might make sure that everyone knew his skill and name. And gaining access to the neighboring country, that he knew nothing about? What recipes and ingredients he might find there! He must be allowed to join this venture! Nothing else was acceptable to Yahben. He was no fighter that much was obvious, but his unique skillset should prove very valuable in making sure the princes reached her destination safe, well-fed and, for example, not poisoned.

Why OOC:
This would be my first campaign outside of the NPSG and seeing all the creative and cool ideas here gave me the inspiration for Yahben. I tried to figure out how to make a cook turned warlock, but still wants to be cook, work and somehow landed where I am now. As this is the first real fully worked out character I have created here I’m not too sure if the concept will work, but I’d love to play and find out!

I also wrote a small in-character scene:
In the kitchen"Food always tells a story." Yahben walked up to the worktable and stove, where he was supposed to prepare the evening meal. His nose barely reached the table. He sighed theatrically and went to get his stool that he always carried around for this common occurrence. "How considerate of them to set things up properly for me", he grumbled under his breath.

"Now where was I? Ahh yes, food tells a story. And I get to decide what kind of story it will be. And let’s be clear here, I do not deal in tragedies. Epics, heroics, heartwarming and uplifting experiences, that is what you will receive!"

Yahben picked up an onion and looked around for a knife to peel it with. He saw it outside of his reach, a bit further down the table. Oh for crying out loud! Looking down at his feet standing on the stool he flicked his wrist and a spectral hand suddenly appeared above the knife, picking it up and floating it over towards Yahben. "Thank you kindly. Oh while you‘re at it, get me that flourpot over there." The hand floated off and Yahben started peeling and cutting the onions. He threw the onions into a pot, together with some lard and put it on the stove next to him.

"A good story needs some sizzle don’t you think? That little bit of spice that makes it special you know?" The hand had reached the flour and was slowly floating it back towards Yahben. He saw some peppers at the other end of the kitchen. That should do.

"Now where is that assistant of mine?" He looked around, when suddenly right next to him a sprite appeared. "Ahh, there you are! Would you mind grabbing two of those for me? We want spice and no inferno after all!" The sprite rolled its eyes but flew over to do what Yahben had asked. Yahben grinned broadly." I don’t know what I would do without you!"

And so it continued for a while. Yahben kept lecturing on what made a good story and he continued cooking, all the while ordering his two assistants to fetch him something he needed, until he jumped off his stool and proudly proclaimed "That should do it! Now don’t be shy and dig in."

The hand floated a plate of food over and set it down. "Only an idiot would call this a tragedy and you are no idiot now, are you?" A bit of a manic gleam snuck into his eyes. "Enjoy!" You better!

That's it! If you have any questions, feel free to ask

---
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyjellyfish View Post
Here's your question: Does Yahben prefer to serve warm or cold hors d'oeuvres?
Small dispute"What do you mean, there can only be one kind of hors d'oeuvres? That's just not right! Don't you want your patrons to experience variety? The clash of hot and cold? The pleasantness of something warm and comforting in contrast to something crisp and refreshing? It's not in the budget you say? Well, that's your loss I guess. We'll go with something warm then and don't you worry about a thing. We'll just serve them something nice, refreshing and cold for dessert. What do you mean there is no budget for dessert?" Calm yourself Yahben, they don't know what they are talking about. This was going to be a long day.

As you can see, Yahben would have serious problems favoring one over the other. In the end, he'd rather choose something warm and comforting though, having been influenced by the venison he was served by his patron over something cold. Prior to that, it would have been the other way around, as cold hors d'oeuvres to him sound more sophisticated. Ideally, he'd do both and use Prestidigitation to keep everything at the temperature it's supposed to be. His creations getting soggy or mushy one way or another would not do.

Last edited by Thalric; Jan 11th, 2020 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Application added! Edit2: Additional question answered
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 03:56 PM
Risen Lich

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2689
Chaos Havik Chaos Havik Chaos Havik Chaos Havik Chaos Havik Chaos Havik Chaos Havik Chaos Havik Chaos Havik Chaos Havik Chaos Havik
Aeron Mortimer
right-aligned image

Name: Aeron Mortimer
Race: Human
Class: Cleric
Subclass: Grave Cleric (Raven Queen)
Background:Acolyte
Personality: I am tolerant of other religions and respect the worship of other gods. I see omens in almost every action, the gods try to speak to us if only we would listen.
Ideal: I seek to prove myself worthy of my goddess's favor by matching my action to her teachings.
Bond: I owe my life to the priest who took me in when my parents died.
Flaw: I put too much trust in those who wield power within my temple.
Dice Roll:
1d100 60
Trinket:
A Glass Eye
Backstory: Far back in Aeron's youth, he had been a normal child in a small town his concerns hardly went past what today meals were and what games he would play. One day though a sickness would sweep over the town. People he had known all his short life were dying to this illness and that would soon include his parents. Sick himself and near death he saw the vision of a beautiful woman dressed in all black who approached him. When this woman reached him she vanished an in her place was an old man wearing religious symbols over his body. The man took the boy from his dying village of which there would be only a few survivors such as himself. Clerics and priests of an order unknown to him helped cure him of his sickness and get him back to a healthy state again.

With nowhere else to turn the boy let himself be taken in by the order learning they were a loose order of humans, elves and a few other races that worshiped The Raven Queen. Who presides over death and the transportation of souls to their final destination. Believing the vision he had seen on death's door to be a sign the young boy threw himself into his studies for the cloth and the order. As time would march on and Aeron would start to grown he would start to develop the ability to harness the powers of the divine marking him a candidate for Cleric training.

Why did he take this quest? Aeron took this quest when he had heard about in in his travels. He has normally always stayed within his home kingdom but felt this was a good chance to see new sights. Not only that this decree came at a point when the cleric wondered what he might do to more venerate his goddess whom many seemed to misunderstand. He came to the conclusion that this was a sign from the goddess and that perhaps his destiny lay in this unknown land. And so he headed off for the captial to be one of many to apply for escorting the Princess to her destination.

Last edited by Chaos Havik; Jan 6th, 2020 at 04:30 PM.
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 04:22 PM
Queen of Mischief

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11903
Jennifer Jennifer Jennifer Jennifer Jennifer Jennifer Jennifer Jennifer Jennifer Jennifer Jennifer
Complete, but I reserve the option to add more chapters later.

Character Generation
left-aligned image
Name: Amphitrite
Race: Teifling? Elf? Some kind of mix?
Class: Rogue/Scout
Background: (Courtier Background) Amphitrite grew up a wild child, frolicking peacefully in the glades and natural springs of the Kingdom of Telia. No one is quite certain what happened to change that, but one day she found herself knocking on the ironwood gates of the Telian Castle Walls inquiring as to a job or some kind of reason for being.

From there it seemed easy enough. She was young, relatively cute, very demure and quiet, and where else could someone ornamental with delicate hands and features be sent? To the court of course! There were required to be men and women, both pleasant to view, as well as to talk to, to serve the needs of royals and distinguished guests, a task Amphitrite quickly picked up and mastered.

The young teifling, or elf of some kind, or whatever she was - no one was quite sure, but there was some speculation, had a knack for knowing what someone would need next, and preemptively getting it. She had very keen eyes for detail and observation, and her skill was such that she was often able to leave trinkets and doohickeys in the pockets of nobles that they had forgotten on their table, without them noticing.

The king's decree was a secret moment of pleasure. She would be able to serve the princess herself as a handmaiden - though why the parchment said "to provide security" was vexing. Amphitrite was good at securing items, procuring them with sometimes less than legal means, but securing the body of a person seemed an unusual thing to ask the young lady.

Alas, it bothered her not. There would be trunks to pack, horses to pet and feed, good conversation with the princess and her other servants. Maybe she would get to watch the lilies bloom in the spring air? Perhaps the kinnikinik would be grown and she could replenish her herb supplies?

Description: From her hair of dark walnut which flows about her shoulders and over her chest and back like a waterfall off a warm summer spring; to her eyes that appear to be the color of light maple syrup; there's just something unique about her. Many mistake her for an elf, or a teifling, or some other kind of fey creature - and they may be right in that last regard. Never the less, one cannot fail to notice her, with her garb of springtime, the golden laureate reminiscent of a holy bush, its soft amber colors reflected throughout her dress, how her dress pulls down on the hue of the sky and enslaves it to her breast, even her voice sounds much like the leaves rustling in the trees as the wind blows by; soft and easy to miss.
Personality: Amphitrite is slightly mad. One minute she's your typical, carefree, prancing and dancing elf? or maybe teifling, or well, no one really knows what she is. The next moment she might channel the evil spirits of the underworld themselves as hatred and vitriol spills from her soul and out through her actions. This bipolar behavior does not come without reason, rather it just shifts radically with little to no notice at all.

RP: 'Twas a day warm and free! Barefoot the young lady splashed up and down in the creak, it's ice cold waters were spilling down from the mountains numbing her toes, but the warm spring air carried all the smells she loved from the cinnamon flavors of freshly growing trees, to the beefier smells of musky leaves.

The pixies were out, and there was a fawn drinking from the water. Pixies were often misunderstood, they were quite friendly, but sometimes humanoids were rude and upset them. Amphitrite waved, and they waved back.

It was a good morning, well, it was! Amphitrite was eating berries and relaxing in a pool of water by afternoon - clothing had only recently become a concern for her; but as always, nature provided adequately. She lay back and relaxed, until she heard a noise.

That isn't normal. she thought to herself. In the distance she heard what sounded like cries, but not the cries one would hear from a hawk, or wounded beast, these were emotional cries - and they were headed her way!

Quickly she dived into the pool; she knew the mangrove tree's roots held a nice deep cavern and would provide adequate concealment for her, in hopes the humans passed her by unobserved.

It took fifteen or twenty minutes, maybe longer - her hair had started to unstick to her face, but was not dry yet from the dive under the roots to get into the cavity. Then she saw them, dragging a woman behind them they stomped into her pool and beat the woman. They did far worse things, things Amphitrite thought she'd never forget seeing. Before they were done, the men cut the head off the woman and left the body draining into the once unspoiled, once turquoise waters of Amphitrite's pool.

Sometimes Amphitrite remembers, often though the memory is repressed and left to re-surge as nightmares in her dreams. Very rarely can she remember the events that transpired while awake, but when she does, her mood is foul and her actions violent, almost like she herself had lost her innocence.

It was shortly after that, seemingly as if without reason, she just up and left the forest home and went to the Castle to find work. It was as if home was no longer home, and now her heart was in search of a new place to call home - or maybe in search of some way to restore the innocence and purity of her old home. Who is to know really, but the gods?

Extended Background:

OOC why: Why do you want to play the character you have created? Thou must be in a mood of jest! To get to play something off the wall, unique, totally never done before and make it useful and productive would be a most excellent reason. Add to it the mystery and flexibility of the character is going to make it even better!

Trinket/gold: Amphitrite has what appears to be an old feather duster of some kind, she's taken to sewing it on the side of her favorite dress as if it was something fancy. She is also carrying random coins that she found from various kingdoms and locals of approximate value of 70 gold pieces. Though she rarely spends money, it seems this has just become her custom because that is what everyone else is doing.

Last edited by Jennifer; Jan 9th, 2020 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Final Character Details Added
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 09:22 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 739
InfamousDasher InfamousDasher InfamousDasher InfamousDasher InfamousDasher InfamousDasher InfamousDasher
So, I am taking the Magic Initiate Feat and was trying to dig through a couple things. What are your thoughts on the spell Puppet?
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 10:24 PM
Master of Revels

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 340
fancyjellyfish fancyjellyfish fancyjellyfish fancyjellyfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoombaJosh View Post
I'm just gonna put a placeholder here, if you don't mind.

I think a nice simple background is often the best option because it gives your character so much more room to grow. If you wanted to hard commit to the miner angle you can swap out a homebrewed 1d8 Versatile(1d10) players choice of piercing or slashing damage.Pickaxe for any simple or martial weapon you might already have chosen.
What are Erk's hobbies?
If he could have a companion animal (pet, beast of burden, etc.) what would it be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechaniacal View Post

Aaand that should do it! This should be more or less done, feel free to give feedback. I'll probably swing in and adjust things eventually.
Wow she's already had such a full life! If Galvana were a member of someone's family, how would they describe her? (Is she the fun aunt, the quiet cousin, the strict mom, or something else entirely?)
How does Galvana let off steam? does she have any vices?
What would it take to make her smile?
Now the hard question. In d&d a paladin makes a prayer to a deity and that deity then provides the raw power that gives the paladin their abilities, otherwise Lay on Hands is just harassment in the workplace. Where does that power come from In Galvana's case? You don't need an immediate answer, just something to think about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfamousDasher View Post
So, I am taking the Magic Initiate Feat and was trying to dig through a couple things. What are your thoughts on the spell Puppet?
That spell as it is is super broken. Tell you what, you can have it, but its range is touch, and you have to choose between it forcing the creature to move its speed +10 or drop its weapons
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 11:33 PM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12899
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Geez, interest in this game really blew up. I’m ambivalent; I LOVE some of the characters I’m reading, but the competition is making my little kenku sweat, lol.
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 11:51 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 739
InfamousDasher InfamousDasher InfamousDasher InfamousDasher InfamousDasher InfamousDasher InfamousDasher

Mistral de LacyName: Mistral de Lacy
Race: Air Genasi
Class: Sorceress
Subclass: Storm Sorceress
Feat: Magic Intiate
Background: Forsaken Noble (customized)
Personality: My mood fluctuates quickly, sometimes it causes some things to get a bit out of hand...like the air around me. I'm working on that though!
After being cooped up for so long, I like to try and explore new avenues that are seemingly exciting.
Ideal: I want to prove to my family that I am more than my birth, more than my "corrupted" blood.
Bond: Marl "Gravel" has been there for me when no one else was. He is my rock.
Flaw: My emotions can sometimes get the better of me, uncontrollable.
History:
Being raised a noble wasn't exactly the most exciting life. In fact, it was quite the polar opposite of exciting. Mistral was the unwanted child of the union between a married nobleman and a djinn, whose mother had long abandoned the young genasi on the man's doorstep. The nobleman's young wife was furious, but refused to fully take out her husbands folly on the little girl. Mistral was cared for, but was hidden away due to her "corrupted" blood. As she grew up, she became a loose canon, falling into tantrums because she wasn't allowed to do something like play outside in the manor's courtyard due to visitors, or go to market with the rest of the family. These tantrums quickly escalated into small scale storms within the confines of her bedroom. The winds around her becoming seemingly enraged. She was locked in her room until it subsided, when she eventually fell asleep.

From that point on, the family kept their distance from her, which was the wrong move. Mistral became more and more emotionally volatile as the years dragged on, her room frequently being ravaged by her emerging powers. Part way through her teenage years, she turned her frustrations to more constructive outlets and worked on trying to control her abilities, and possibly learn more about them. If her human family wouldn't teach her anything, why couldn't she teach herself? Maybe then they would try to be around her more if she could control herself. But controlling a storm wasn't easy. The outbursts decreased slowly in the coming years, but still her family didn't want anything to do with her. She'd have to prove herself some other way to win their favor.

Stealing a small bit of coin and cloaking herself, she left the manor several hours before the servants would start waking up to get the daily chores done. Mistral had no plan, no idea where she was going or what she was going to do, but there had to be something that she could do to prove to her family that she was worthy of their noble name. Deciding her best option was to leave her home entirely, she left the city walls and followed the road with her cloak pulled securely around her to hide what she was. It was, by no means, an easy trip. The genasi did no plan ahead in terms of how she would survive on the road for any amount of time. Food and water were nonexistent. She had to learn quick how to harness some semblance of her abilities so she could at least have the basic necessities. There were a lot of failed attempts, but she was eventually able to harness her lightning magic to shoot out and grab her next meal. Water, she would figure out as she kept on the move to her unknown destination.

Eventually she came to a town, if one could call it that, that was a bit strange. She was in awe as she walked down what seemed to be the main street there were all sorts of beings wandering around without so much as a worry of being judged. Creatures, that normally would've been looked down on in her home, were walking around proudly. What sort of place was this? It was so different here. She was so enchanted that she forgot about her growling stomach and the fact that she hadn't been able to bathe in what felt like forever. With a loud stomach growl and a hunger pain, she snapped out of her awestruck state and looked for the local tavern called the Scuttle Bucket.

With a good meal in her stomach and a room for the night, she got her first good night of sleep and a long hot bath. She almost missed her old room, but this new town of Pomelvale was a wonder. The wonder didn't stop at her new surroundings, but only got immensely better when she laid eyes on a fellow genasi: Gravel. His hulking figure was a stark contrast next to everyone else in the town. Immediately drawn to him, she approached and began talking. A kinship was born. It felt amazing to be around another genasi after having been alone for so long. The goliath wasn't much with words, but he was charming in his silent ways. He quickly became exactly what she needed in her life, a rock in a storm.

Trinket: a piece of crystal that glows faintly in the moonlight
Favorite Toy as a Child: a fake princess tiara to play dress up with
Greatest Fear: Abandonment, Being alone again
Why: What better way to earn favor with my family and possibly enhance their standing in the ranks? Gaining favor with a princess seems like the best way to get everything done!
OOC why: I'm brand new to the world of DnD and found the idea of a storm sorceress very interesting, and then toss in the air genasi on top of that? What a fun mix! Not only this, I like how wild the air genasi is with their emotions. I personally feel that this might be a good outlet for me to figure out how to handle some of my own emotions that can get the better of me.

The Scuttlebutt at the Scuttle Bucket
”I was wondering, Gravel, do you have any vices?” Mistral was dragging the tip of a slender finger around the rim of a glass of wine, making a slight humming noise as it moved. ”Clearly I indulge in this one every so often, but I haven’t seen you take part in anything yourself. Do you even have any?”

Marl’s grip on his large pitcher didn’t falter as his companion continued her line of questioning, droplets streaming down the sides of his mouth as he pondered an answer. To have these “vices” seemed impractical, aiding themselves only to indulgences not necessary to grow and thrive. ”I enjoy…” Gravel looked around slowly at anything he could use as an answer, eyes repeatedly drawn back to his beverage. ”...water.” he shrugged. Marl knew this didn’t qualify as an appropriate response, but he had no other options to offer.

The air genasi shrugged and laughed ”Fair enough, I’m not really surprised. You never really do anything outside of what you may need. What about hobbies? Anything? Surely maybe there’s something that helps you relax? Take for instance, I like to learn languages when we don’t have a job that we’re doing” she watched him expectantly.

“I hunt and gather. Make preparations for the coming weather. I keep my den clear of root and pest and…” the Goliath couldn’t help but notice Mistral’s squinting eyes and tilting head as he listed off his daily activities. “...these are...not hobbies? Then...I don’t know. I suppose I like to watch things.” he thought harder, truly trying to satisfy his dates curiosities. “I enjoy music. I have no skills here, and am drawn to the soothing sounds.”

She couldn’t help but chuckle, ”There you go! Basic survival does not count as a hobby, but music does. Even if it’s just listening to it.” Mistral paused for a moment in her thoughts, looking back at her glass of wine. ”Going off of your original ideas of hobbies, I’m assuming you’ve never had a pet?” She looked back up at him as she went on, ”Back home, my stepmother had a bird of some sort. I loved hearing it sing early in the morning.”

This was an interesting concept for Gravel. Domesticated creatures served a necessary purpose for his tribe and himself - to provide sustenance and supplies. To become emotionally attached to an animal you knew you were to slaughter was counter-intuitive, yet he could see it happening around him, especially with the children, whose innocent hearts only cared to express their joy in being around other species. “No pets. My family does have farm animals. I respect them, and they nourish in return.” A different kind of relationship for sure, unless her or her stepmother ended up eating that bird.

”I’ll let livestock count as pets in this case” she said as she finished off the last little bit of her wine. It was then that she realized how long it had been since they had asked for their food. Slightly irritated, the wind around her started to bristle more than normal, causing some nearby patrons to lose random bits of paper and lightly tussling hair. Mistral huffed as she shifted in her seat. Now she was irritated with herself. ”There are just days I really wish I didn’t have these powers, you know? What I wouldn’t give to have been normal. Mind you, I enjoy that I’ve made it to this town, and that I’ve been able to meet you. But back home, I could’ve gone to school and not caused a fellow student’s test to not fly across the room. I...wouldn’t have had to worry about lightning getting out of hand because I couldn’t control why I was upset.” She looked down at the table and started dragging her nail alongside a particularly deep crevice in the wooden surface.

The faintest of frowns appeared on Marl’s face. ”You must be patient with yourself. Accepting your nature will help bring you peace.” Her mention of getting an education and living a different life had him pondering his own envy of the talented musicians filling the tavern with gentle music. ”I admire them” he stated as he looked in their direction. ”I would wish to make noise that is pleasing to the ears.” Gravel finished his pitcher, unable to shake de Lacy’s troubled expressions from causing a twinge of sadness. ”You are a gifted woman with untamed powers. I have seen accidents at your hand many times - but have you caused indeliberate harm?”

She looked up at him, “Not that I’m aware of. I’m sure I have though, and the thought of that scares me. I want to get better at controlling them so I don’t run that risk.” Her confession coaxed Marl to empathize. ”I have to watch my feet. I almost stepped on one of the villager’s cats. I would feel guilty if I had done so.”

At this point, the giant was becoming a bit uncomfortable about the flyer he had kept under the table. He knew she would be upset about him breaking their promise, but this was just too important to ignore. It could have incredible possibilities - it could even help lead up to her finally getting the life she was fighting so hard for. A life he felt she deserved.

”Forgive me” he demanded as he produced the hidden parchment and laid it before his companion, just in time for the food to FINALLY have arrived. Exceptional timing. Mistral stared at his hand on the table for a moment then looked at him before taking it, ”Forgive you for wha-” she had flipped the paper over and read it as she was about to finish her question. The server had barely managed to set down their food before a blast of statically charged wind blasted through the tavern for a brief moment. The poor man didn’t know what to do other than scuttle away from ground zero and tend to his now electric hair. Trying to calm down, Mistral breathed in deep and slowly let it out before locking eyes on him, ”We both promised, no work. Where did this even come from?” Mistral had to take a moment to reread the paper. Escorting a princess? Didn’t they have knights for that? But, this...this was a good opportunity. She glanced at Gravel then back at the decree, the air around her calming even more. ”Yes, alright, I see your point. This is a good thing. Favor with a royal family is a good thing in several ways. The town could certainly use the notoriety if we succeed with this. New trade, new outlets for the economy to go up-”

”Your family.” Gravel calmly interjected.

She stared at him not having expected him to say that. Sure she was thinking it, but he had apparently thought about it earlier on. A soft look flitted through her eyes. Even though he was usually sparing with his words, he always managed to know what to say. The jerk.

With all of that out of the way, the pair was finally free to enjoy their meal while it was still hot. The innkeeper was clear to refill the genasi duo’s drinks without fear of electrocution as they filled their bellies with the fresh meats and breads - the amount consumed by each of them as disproportionate as their sizes - and decided to leave a generous tip and not linger. The building had surely seen enough of them for one night. As the doorway closed behind them and the moonlight gleaming down upon Pomelvale, Marl had finally thought of a simple courtship question.

”What makes you smile? he turned his gaze from the sparkling stars down to her - and in turn, she looked up to him with a beaming grin.

Last edited by InfamousDasher; Jan 16th, 2020 at 11:08 PM.