Notices

Old May 31st, 2021, 07:04 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 374
L0stTh0ught L0stTh0ught L0stTh0ught L0stTh0ught
Homebrew Throwing feat

So I made a char concept when the UA for throwing fighting style came out. But I find it falls a little short of what I want as is. So I made this feat in the hopes of being generally well-received, and as well-balanced as possible.
Any feedback is welcome

Throw the Kitchen Sink
(feat)
  • You can treat any melee weapon that you have proficiency with as if it had the thrown property, but the ranges for these is only (10/30). Weapons that already have the thrown property have their minimum distance increased by 10 feet, (30/60). You are also proficient in any improvised weapon you throw
  • You can draw a weapon that has the thrown property as part of the attack you make with the weapon.

Last edited by L0stTh0ught; May 31st, 2021 at 07:05 PM.
Old May 31st, 2021, 11:47 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 39192
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
Would the damage dice change for the weapons?
Old Jun 1st, 2021, 01:19 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by zevonian View Post
Would the damage dice change for the weapons?
TLDR: improvised damage (1d4) would change to the weapon's regular damage dice

The main idea behind it is to not only be able for the character to be able to literally throw ANYTHING, but throw them well, so yes, weapons deal normal damage just like any weapon with the 'thrown' quality

Last edited by L0stTh0ught; Jun 1st, 2021 at 01:20 AM.
Old Jun 2nd, 2021, 09:37 AM
Worldcrafter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 34205
Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption
I think your feat is underwhelming because in 5e, feats are hard to come by and should feel like a significant power boost.

Looking at the original rules...
Quote:
Originally Posted by improvised weapons
If a character ... throws a melee weapon that does not have the thrown property, it also deals 1d4 damage. An improvised thrown weapon has a normal range of 20 feet and a long range of 60 feet.
And...
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrown weapon fighting style
You can draw a weapon that has the thrown property as part of the attack you make with the weapon.
In addition, when you hit with a ranged attack using a thrown weapon, you gain a +1 bonus to the damage roll.
I'd suggest you improve the feat to:
- All weapons the character is proficient with are considered to have the thrown property, with a range of 30/60.
- Improvised thrown weapons do 1d6 damage with a range of 30/60
- Character's choice of +1 Dexterity OR +1 Strength

The biggest things here is giving everything the thrown property, because that stacks with existing rules (and especially the thrown weapon style). It also expands the range of improvised thrown weapons to be worth using.
Old Jun 2nd, 2021, 02:41 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin RonarsCorruption View Post
I think your feat is underwhelming because in 5e, feats are hard to come by and should feel like a significant power boost.

Looking at the original rules...

And...

I'd suggest you improve the feat to:
- All weapons the character is proficient with are considered to have the thrown property, with a range of 30/60.
- Character's choice of +1 Dexterity OR +1 Strength

The biggest things here is giving everything the thrown property, because that stacks with existing rules (and especially the thrown weapon style). It also expands the range of improvised thrown weapons to be worth using.
It's funny you should mention that, because the original feat looked like this:

So when I originally made this, I just combined the thrown weapon fighting style and half the Tavern Brawler feat, and added a clause that made it apply to weapons you can use. Since this is designed for a 'Master Thrower' you should be able to throw anything, right? And since I saw some of the other feats had an ASI, I figured, "why not?". I then added the 5th bullet cuz I figured it shouldn't just be 'stackable' with everything.

I dropped the bottom two bullet points because people on the internet said the ASI is OP and the other is technically redundant.

In the 2nd draft, I ended up dropping the damage bonus because the majority of people said it was still OP

Quote:
I changed it from this because the weapons that don't automatically come with the thrown property, aren't technically designed for it, and therefore shouldn't be able to fly as far. Meanwhile, the weapons that do have the thrown property should get some from of bonus because they are designed to be 'thrown', so I gave them a bonus to their range before they start suffering disadvantage, hence the 30/60

Quote:
I don't mind this, but at this point, improvised weapons are only the things that the DM can't easily compare to a weapon equivalent, like a couch, door, other people, etc., and by having the thrown property they can add their STR to the damage. Also giving everything enhanced range seems broken

Last edited by L0stTh0ught; Jun 2nd, 2021 at 02:43 PM.
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 09:19 AM
Worldcrafter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 34205
Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption
Yeah, my suggestions are probably a step too far - I don't write or play a lot of 5e so my eye for balance isn't great. I was thinking one step up for everything.

Your original feat looks pretty good, IMO, except the bit about "no stacking damage" -- it feels like someone scolding players for trying to build powerful characters and I'm not a fan.

Thanks for explaining your train of thought, you sound like you have good instincts, but perhaps you're second guessing yourself a little much. Let a feat be good to take.