DnD2e AD&D 2e: The Stonelands - 1370 DR - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 09-16-2020, 03:04 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 146
Belfar Belfar
AD&D 2e: The Stonelands - 1370 DR

RECRUITMENT CURRENTLY CLOSED! THANKS FOR APPLYING!

Game NameAD&D2e: The Stonelands - 1370 DR
Game SystemDnD 2e
ThemeSurvival, Exploration, Goblins
FlavourSeeking fame and fortune in a barren land
Plot Summary
right-aligned image
I'm seeking novice and veteran AD&D 2e players for a game set in the Forgotten Realms. It will be focused on exploration, survival, and adventure in an inhospitable region known as the Stonelands.

North of Cormyr, beyond the Stormhorn mountains, lie the Stonelands. This rocky, hilly land is controlled by the Kingdom of Cormyr in name only. Indeed, it truly belongs to the giants, orcs, and goblins that settled it many centuries ago. With few resources to dedicate to controlling the Stonelands, the kingdom has started offering great rewards to adventurers that attempt to tame and settle the region.

And you, fresh faced adventurer, find yourself in the recently annexed town of Tilverton - ten miles east of the Stonelands proper, but a safe haven for those wishing to journey deep into the rocky wastes. Tales of lost cities, undead hordes, an emerging goblin kingdom, and other outrageous rumors spread throughout the town of Tilverton as you gather a party to journey deep into the Stonelands. Will you find gold and glory...or become another pile of bleached bones in the Stonelands?

Allowed Books: Core books, most content from the Complete Race/Class Handbooks (certain races/kits will need DM approval), content from Forgotten Realms supplements (with DM approval)

Posting Frequency: I can post multiple times per day if required. I don't expect the same posting rate of my players. For players, a minimum commitment of 2-3 posts per week is preferred (more or less depending on what's going on).

Post Length and Expectations: I'm not a stickler for post length so long as the writing is high quality. A short paragraph (3-4 lines) is more than enough for simple interactions with other PCs, NPCs, and the game world. More complex interactions may require longer paragraphs, or even multiple paragraphs depending on the context. Please avoid one-liners.

Focus of the Game
The main focus of this game (starting out at least) will be hub based adventuring. The party's main base of operations will be the town of Tilverton. There they will gather information, buy supplies, follow up on rumors, sell loot, and take on jobs. The main adventuring area will the Stonelands, a rocky arid region to the west of the Tilverton full of all sorts of monsters, ruins, and nefariousness. The game won't be a true sandbox, but I will offer a variety of hooks for players to follow up on in addition to more linear adventures. Tilverton itself can also become an adventuring site for the occasional urban based adventure.

There is no designated end point or grand narrative. I'm more interested in an emergent narrative based on how the player characters interact with the world, and their successes and failures as adventurers. You're free, of course, to develop your own romances, rivalries, and friendships with each other and/or NPCs you encounter and I'm more than willing to do more PC focused adventures when they arise. However, at the end of the day this is a game of AD&D 2e and I'd like to keep the main plot focused on adventuring.

Character Creation
(You do not need to submit a character sheet to join this game. This is only to show which rules/house rules you can expect for character creation.)

The game will start at 1st-level.
Max HP at 1st-level. Roll for HP as normal for subsequent levels.
Two options to generate ability scores: Roll 4d6, drop lowest OR Distribute 75 points between your six ability scores. Exceptional Strength costs 1 point per 10 points of Exceptional Strength.
(i.e. 18/30 costs 21 points. 18+3 = 21). Using this method, no ability score should be less than 8 before racial adjustments or greater than 18 before racial adjustments.
All core races allowed. Non-core races allowed pending DM approval.
All core classes allowed. Non-core classes or kits allowed pending DM approval.
All alignments allowed EXCEPT Chaotic Evil. (Evil characters will face more DM scrutiny than Good or Neutral characters however).
Non-Weapon Proficiencies and Weapon Specialization (for Fighters) are being used.

How to Join
Please include the following information:

A brief character concept that includes:
Race:
Class:
Alignment:
Background:

Also explain the reason for your character traveling to Tilverton to join up with an adventuring party to explore the Stonelands. This will act as a writing sample but also as a way for me to figure out what sort of game you're interested in playing.

Accepted Characters
CharacterAlignmentRaceClassPlayer
Othello Windreaver Chaotic Neutral Gnome Cleric/Thief Cronofuego13
Dhante Kessemer Neutral Good Human Shadow Walker Ghrimm
Brend Nallon Lawful Good Half-Elf Ranger Drachenspirit
Berthamanitz Kake Lawful Evil Human Red Wizard Elfman6
Finkle Pendersnout Chaotic Good Deep Gnome Fighter Clawsome

Last edited by Belfar; 09-19-2020 at 04:29 AM.
Old 09-16-2020, 04:05 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2884
Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome Clawsome
I think will need more information like level, what references or restrictions etc.
Old 09-16-2020, 04:15 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 69
Ghrimm
Interested, but fairly new to the site. So far I have only played in a solo game so I could familiarize myself with PBP play, and truthfully I am only a few posts into that, but if you are willing to put up with a newb I would love to give it a try.
Old 09-16-2020, 05:35 PM
Era of Sponge

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 150
Cronofuego13 Cronofuego13
I'm a veteran 2e player and would be interested. What level starting and books allowed? I don't mind a game being simple and this sounds good. What kind of app are you looking for?
Old 09-16-2020, 08:33 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Belfar Belfar
Sorry for the sparse info guys. First time putting up an ad and I just filled out the Game Request form as it was provided to me. I'll have more information up soon!
Old 09-16-2020, 08:57 PM
Era of Sponge

Tools
User Statistics
It's fine man. Do you want us to give out character ideas, races and classes before choosing? Just want to see how you want us to apply thanks.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:31 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Belfar Belfar
Alright, first post has been updated! Feel free to ask me any questions you may have about it.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:41 PM
Era of Sponge

Tools
User Statistics
NAME: Othello Windreaver
DEITY: Gond
RACE: Gnome
CLASS: Cleric/Thief
ALIGNMENT: Chaotic Neutral

BACKGROUND: Othello was born 86 years ago in Arabel. He is the son of a Woodworker and Seamstress. He has 5 brothers and 1 sister. He learned Carpentry from his father and was set to follow in his footsteps when by chance one day, he rescued a young gnome from a vicious beating by deranged halfling criminals. This young gnome happened to be an acolyte for the Temple of Gond and invited him to attend the services. Curious, Othello did and soon learned that he liked much what the Temple of Gond had to say. After 6 months, Othello was officially inducted into the Temple and 1 year later, he became a priest. The Temple of Gond also realized that Othello had certain "Skills" and would use him to do secret missions for the Temple. These missions normally included spying on other Temples and other nefarious things. Of course, his family was not too happy with Othello renouncing the Carpentry calling, but eventually they accepted it. Othello is now a priest in good standing in the Temple of Gond in Arabel. Yet, he seeks more. He wants adventure and thus has decided to check out the Stonelands...

RP SAMPLE: "What do you mean it's the wrong size? Have you turned it upside down? Over on its back? Dropped it? Hit it with a stick? Thrown it into the hearth? No? Well then you have not done a proper investigation...".

Last edited by Cronofuego13; 09-17-2020 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15855
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Ranger
right-aligned image
Name: Brend Nallon

Race: Half-elf

Class: Ranger w/ Justifier Kit

Alignment: LG

Background: Brend is from the outskirts of Highmoon. His family own and operate a Sorghum mill on the Archen River near the city.
Every day someone in the family is in the city at the High Market selling their sweetener or foods made with it. Both his parents are half-elves and started their business and their family here as it is a prosperous place and known for being the most well-integrated settlement of humans, elves, and half-elves in all of Faerūn.
They had a large family, 5 children with Brend's mother, and 6 more with his step mother. Brend is the youngest of his mother and father's children.
They'd often take him along to deliver shipments of Sorghum to other cities. During one such trip, a band of Goblins attacked the small merchant caravan and his two older brothers and sisters hid him away as their mother stood to protect them as well, being an elite archer.
They were all slain, and the 5 year old Brend stayed hidden in the wagon's concealed space until help came by two days later.
He hates Goblins.
Now suddenly the oldest, he has an overwhelming sense of keeping beasts - especially Goblins - away from civilized people.

As he grew, he tried to funnel his hatred and feelings of revenge through Oghma at the local Temple called, 'The Leaves of Learning.'
Though he still prays to Oghma, it wasn't for him.
He began to hang around the Lords' Barracks, quickly becoming an apprentice to the soldiers and learning archery from the elven archers. A few of the latter taught him how to live off the land and how to read signs and such.
He is called a scout, but he has decided to take the way of the Justifier; those who dispense justice to them that need it most.
So, when he heard of the need for adventurers in the nearby city, and the rumors of Goblins grew in this area, he girded himself up with his weapons and gear, and took off.

Last edited by Drachenspirit; 09-17-2020 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:46 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Belfar Belfar
Thanks for the interest guys! I'll keep the ad going at least through next week or until I get at least three or four interested players.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:11 AM
knows too much

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12316
Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6
Sure, what's the worst that could happen?
Old 09-17-2020, 07:42 AM
Khazad! Khazad Ai-menu!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5472
Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfman6 View Post
Sure, what's the worst that could happen?
You get critically hit by a goblin arrow.

Count me as interested! I'll try and get a concept up to you soon on this post.

Name: Delli Silverdeep
Race: Dwarf
Class: Cleric
Diety: Moradin

Backstory: WIP

RP sample: WIP
Old 09-17-2020, 08:51 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 69
Ghrimm
Zeroing in on concept - one or two quick questions regarding some of the materials I have and if they would be allowed:
1) I have the wizards and rouges of the realms handbook - if you are familiar with it there is a modified class called a shadow walker, sort of a mage-thief hybrid. Allowed?
2) Psionics handbook - will psionicists be allowed, if so there were some kits that were presented in a Dark Sun supplement and some others in a Dragon magazine, would they be considered?

FYI - at this stage even if you said yes to one or both I don't know that I will be going with it. Just trying to get an idea.

Last edited by Ghrimm; 09-17-2020 at 10:17 AM. Reason: error in handbook title
Old 09-17-2020, 02:12 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Belfar Belfar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghrimm View Post
Zeroing in on concept - one or two quick questions regarding some of the materials I have and if they would be allowed:
1) I have the wizards and rouges of the realms handbook - if you are familiar with it there is a modified class called a shadow walker, sort of a mage-thief hybrid. Allowed?
2) Psionics handbook - will psionicists be allowed, if so there were some kits that were presented in a Dark Sun supplement and some others in a Dragon magazine, would they be considered?

FYI - at this stage even if you said yes to one or both I don't know that I will be going with it. Just trying to get an idea.
I checked out Shadow Walker and it looks fine. You may use it if you like.

I do own the Complete Psionics Handbook and I'm somewhat versed on psionics since Dark Sun is my favorite original AD&D setting. You'd probably have to tell me which kits specifically you'd like to use. So long as they aren't tied too closely to the Dark Sun setting, then I'd probably allow them. Most stuff from Dragon Magazine is fine. I'd just need to give it a once over first before I okay it.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:34 PM
Era of Sponge

Tools
User Statistics
Updated my application for GM review. Hope you like it and thanks for running!