Pokemon The Bahamut Gym Challenge: A Pokémon Tabletop United Game - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 08-26-2020, 06:17 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3877
Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby
The Bahamut Gym Challenge: A Pokémon Tabletop United Game

The Bahamut Gym Challenge: A Pokémon Tabletop United Game
Helena glanced down at the pokéball in her hand. She tried to keep her nervousness from her face, but she was looking for reassurance. Poppy, her Ivysaur, looked back up an her through the red translucent top and nodded with a resolved expression. Helena nodded down gratefully and looked forward. The cliff was too far away for a Vine Whip to reach. If she was going to escape from the police officers pursuing her, she was going to have to jump far enough to close that distance. It would be all or nothing. The howl of a Growlithe some distance behind told her time was running out to overcome her fears. So she bit down on her lip to keep from screaming and took a running start to the cliff’s edge…

I am looking for 1-3 trainers to run through a pokémon 1-shot adventure. The Bahamut Gym Leader is looking for an apprentice to train. It’s a great way to work your way into the Pokemon League, assuming you can prove yourself by overcoming the Gym Challenge of the strongest gym in the region. This is not a cooperative adventure but rather a parallel one. Players will not have the chance to interact with one another in game.

The Setting: The world is going to play much more like the Pokémon Adventures manga than the anime series, so pokémon sound and act like animals rather than human-intelligent creatures that repeat their own name. League rules still maintain that no one can carry more than 6 pokémon at any given time, and swaps can only be made at certain computer terminals (such as Pokécenters, gyms, and other official locations). Semi-modern technology (cell phones, Wi-Fi, etc.) as you would see in the latest Sword/Shield games. Pokémon from all generations will be available to choose in the game, so long as their printed stats are in PTU.

The Tone: The game is going to be a moderately serious dungeon crawl with many opportunities to socialize and roleplay between and during battles. Ultimately this is about convincing someone famous and powerful to accept you as a student.

My Expectations: I am looking for players that can commit to posting at least once a week. Literate posts are a must: I need to be able to understand what you are writing. I am willing to accept newbies of every level. You are welcome to apply even if you are unfamiliar with PTU, Play By Post games, or even RPGs in general. Each player will have their own thread for the story, so you will have a lot of control over the pace of the story.

Applications: You have until 9/4 to submit your application. I am only taking 1-3 players. You are welcome to use anything from the 1.05 core book when designing your character. You can also use the Sun/Moon material for choosing pokémon. The other setting books don’t really apply to this game’s setting, but I am willing to discuss specific options out of those books on a case-by-case basis.

Specific requirements for each application are below. Please reply to this thread with your character application. You do not need a completed character sheet to apply, but you are welcome to make one as part of your application. DO NOT POST ANY DICE ROLLS IN THIS THREAD PLEASE!

What I am REALLY basing my decisions on is your character concept. I am a story teller, and interesting characters that would fit into my story are going to be at the top of my list. DO NOT SUBMIT MORE THAN ONE CHARACTER APPLICATION. Choose a concept you like best and sell it.
Applications
Name: A normal name for your trainer, please.
Appearance: What your character looks like, including typical traveling outfit. MUST INCLUDE PICTURE
Description: Your character’s personality, goals, and typical first impression. No evil characters.
Background: A short paragraph about your characters history. Can include a BACKGROUND from character creation.
Why: Why does your character want to be a gym trainer at this gym? What is their strategy for winning?
Roleplaying Sample: 1-2 paragraphs in character. This should give me a feel for your character as well as a sense of your posting style.
Pokemon Roster: Which 6 pokemon are on your team for this gym challenge? You can choose the pokémon on your team for this 1-shot, provided they meet the criteria below.

You are not required to have a character sheet for your application or actual stats for your pokémon. You are welcome to do so if you wish, however. Trainers will be at level 6 for this adventure. Starting gear will be worked out in game.

Name Character Name Reason Team Note Status
Touketsu BARTLEBY RHODES Mentor & Bonds Ivysaur, Quilava, Lapras, Honedge, ZapdosAxew Researcher Complete
- - - - - -
THE DEADLINE HAS PASSED!

Last edited by Homestarbaby; 09-04-2020 at 07:50 AM. Reason: table for application status
Old 08-28-2020, 02:13 AM
Master of Undeath

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14178
Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul
Very interested, but with absolutely 0 experience in the system. You specifically mentioned this was fine but figured I should bring it up since it might make it a little difficult putting things together. Also most of my Pokemon knowledge is decidedly old school, anything from gens 1 & 2 I have down pat, but anything else is kind of hit or miss.

If this is all fine though, I'll look at putting together something over the weekend.
Old 08-28-2020, 10:47 AM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby
That should be fine. You are welcome to build your pokemon team from the first 2 generations, and you will have a pokedex to help you identify any pokemon that you encounter in case one shows up you might not know. I am more than happy to walk you through the mechanics, step by step, during character creation and as we play.
Old 08-28-2020, 11:45 AM
Master of Undeath

Tools
User Statistics
I'll go ahead and start brainstorming then and looking up a few things.

Picking a dragon type will probably be the more difficult selection though, given a fair number of dragon types don't become dragons until after an evolution(beyond level 20), with a few exceptions, but Dratini isn't a terrible fallback option.
Old 08-29-2020, 05:34 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 662
Schroedingerdude Schroedingerdude Schroedingerdude Schroedingerdude Schroedingerdude Schroedingerdude
This one looks interesting! I'll look over the rules and try to come up with a legitimate team.
Old 08-30-2020, 07:01 AM
Master of Undeath

Tools
User Statistics
I finishing general team selection(I have three picked out so far, and one of the remaining three being a legendary is making me have to give it a lot of thought), and am currently looking for a picture to work with but I should have the outline up before the end of the day. At the very least I have my dragon type picked out even if they aren't from the Gens I am familiar with.
Old 08-30-2020, 07:38 AM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
Appreciate the interest! Looking forward to seeing what you all come up with.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:30 PM
I'm Super! thx for asking

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1737
Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79
Where can we find the rules, and what level do the Pokemon start at? Are they already max level?
Old 08-30-2020, 11:17 PM
Master of Undeath

Tools
User Statistics
According to Pokemon team criteria spoiler button, the answer is level 20.

Last edited by Yuul; 08-30-2020 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-31-2020, 12:57 AM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4185
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
I keep coming back to this ad; I love the concept, but I'm woefully unfamiliar with the system and it looks pretty complicated. Is it difficult to pick up? I have a couple loose concepts, but I'm unsure of exactly how to build them well in the system.

Last edited by Touketsu; 08-31-2020 at 12:58 AM.
Old 08-31-2020, 07:44 AM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
I would say that the system is about as complicated to learn as D&D 3.5 or Pathfinder. If you want to learn the system, this one-on-one game is a great way. You just need a concept for the application. We can figure out the mechanics in setup.

And yes, your Pokemon will start at level 20 unless for some reason you want them at a lower level.
Old 08-31-2020, 04:14 PM
Consilio Et Prudentia

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5484
Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala
I not long ago started playing the system. I was a little overwhelmed at first, but the system really isn't as complicated as it seems, I promise. As long as you have an idea of what you want to do, you should be able to find something to help do it.
Oh and here's a joke to lighten the mood. What's a bug pokemon's favourite 80s band? Durant Durant!
Or so it seemed
Old 08-31-2020, 04:45 PM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Bartleby
right-aligned image

BARTLEBY RHODES

Ivysaur
Quilava
Lapras
Honedge
Axew
Zapdos

Last edited by Touketsu; 09-01-2020 at 05:39 PM.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:23 AM
Master of Undeath

Tools
User Statistics
I did get delayed yesterday, I apologize, but will have my outline up in a few hours tonight. I got it slated for after I finish a game post.

Also borrowing that impressive template Touketsu, and have paid thee a tribute of Awesome Points(tm) in recognition.

Last edited by Yuul; 09-01-2020 at 12:23 AM.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:54 AM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuul View Post
I did get delayed yesterday, I apologize, but will have my outline up in a few hours tonight. I got it slated for after I finish a game post.

Also borrowing that impressive template Touketsu, and have paid thee a tribute of Awesome Points(tm) in recognition.
Thanks! I've returned the favor