RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 08-10-2020, 09:16 PM
Half-Orc Ranger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5639
Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer
The Pyramid of Eryx

The Pyramid of Eryx

Attention: Deadline for submitting/completing applications is 10:00pm EST Monday 8/31/20

SystemCall of Cthulhu 6th Edition

ThemeThe Cthulhu Mythos mixed with 1950s-style science fiction.

Posting RateThis game will have a slower posting rate due to the fact that I have a hectic life with young kids. So, it is perfect for those who are looking for a slower-paced game.

SettingThis game takes place on a parallel version of the planet Venus that is habitable though inhospitable. Humid jungles inhabited with alien plants cover the entire surface. An atmosphere of carbon dioxide requires humans to wear breathing apparatuses. Acid rain threatens to dissolve flesh and bone. A single pyramid-shaped mountain soars upward out of a black marsh in the southern hemisphere of the planet. Earth is visible as a spark of white light in an orange sky, a bastion of safety far-out-of-reach.

PlotIt is 2103 AD. Earth’s supply of fossil fuels has been exhausted. A worldwide energy crisis has ensued. The characters are employees of Terra Nova Oreworks (TNO) that have been sent to the surface of Venus to mine spherical crystals that can be used to produce electricity. Due to the extreme value of these crystals, the characters have been given carte blanche to secure as many crystals as possible. But the alien horrors and Great Old Ones of the Cthulhu Mythos dwell in the jungles.

Additional Info
left-aligned image
The characters arrive aboard the Sagittarius, a simple freighter that has been outfitted for the alien environment. It has a fusion drive capable of making the trip from Earth to Venus in 50 days. In addition to the bridge, it has crew quarters, a mess hall, a sickbay, an armory, and a cargo bay. It has enough food and water in its stores to last the crew for five years. It is armed with a laser cannon for drilling mine shafts.

Due to the hostile environment, each character is equipped with a suit of titanium power armor. It is fitted with a helmet with tubes that lead to a device on the belt that dissolves "chlorate cubes" into breathable oxygen. The suit also has a built-in cooling apparatus that keeps the wearer comfortable in the humid environment.

Each character is also equipped with a flame pistol that fires superheated bolts of plasma. The characters also have access to conventional handguns, shotguns, and machine guns.

ApplicationName: [No funny business]
Occupation: [Choose one of the following: miner, doctor, space marine, technician.]

Appearance: [2-7 Sentences]

Background: [However long you want]

Last edited by Stormhammer; 08-10-2020 at 09:28 PM.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:55 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4569
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
Having a hectic life with young kids myself, and being a huge COC fan, I am definitely interested!

Character Concept
right-aligned image

Name: Elijah Patterson

Appearance:
Elijah is a stocky man of slightly below average height, with a bushy brown beard showing signs of gray and a head of curly hair he often wears underneath a plain watch cap when he is able. His brown eyes are crow-footed and he has slight bags underneath them. He has a wide, slightly crooked nose and a warm smile, and favors the cheapest cigars he can find when he is in need of a smoke. He dresses for functionality over fashion - work pants, boots, long sleeved shirts, and gloves make up the vast majority of his wardrobe.

Background:
Born and raised in a rural town in West Virginia, Elijah Patterson hails from a long line of coal miners. In the family archives the oldest known photograph they have shows his great-many-times-over grandfather in black and white holding a pickaxe outside a local mine that dried up and was sealed closed almost two centuries ago. Of course, things have come a long way since then. Elijah is widely considered an expert in his field and though he still enjoys getting dirty in the trenches things are much different now. Well acquainted with the operation of heavy machinery and geological digs, despite his coarse exterior Elijah possesses a surprisingly scientific mind and has earned his master's degree in geology from the University of Arizona. He has come a long ways from his red hat days working at his first coal mine, and is now the assistant head of mining operations for Terra Nova Oreworks. His superior Carter Lambwright is a far better administrator than Elijah, who prefers to do the dirty work alongside the others, so when the mission to Venus was planned Elijah was the natural choice.

Last edited by Grouchy; 08-17-2020 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-17-2020, 02:46 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
Still working on a background, but bumping this to garner more interest.
Old 08-17-2020, 05:27 PM
Half-Orc Ranger

Tools
User Statistics
Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer Stormhammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy View Post
Still working on a background, but bumping this to garner more interest.
Iím not sure that Iím going to get enough people to run this.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:05 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Sadly I think that's the case. Which sucks as this is a really interesting concept for COC.
Old 08-18-2020, 03:50 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4060
Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099
Hi Stormhammer.

Don't give up! I'd be applying if I wasn't already in another CoC game (and full to the brim with other games!)
Although, I do have to say that the proposed game does seem a bit unorthodox for CoC. Perhaps you'll be looking for a very niche group of players to try this particular experiment?

Edit: On the other hand, you do have that other CoC game ad, which seems much more straightforward. Might be better to consolidate so as not to dilute the CoC player pool too much.

Last edited by Strange2099; 08-18-2020 at 03:52 AM. Reason: Alternate suggestion.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:21 AM
Not lifting the siege yet

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1463
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
I also think, that this sounds like a lot of fun, but sadly, I have never played CoC. Seeing as we are close to the deadline, how many players would you have needed to run this and what about players that are new to CoC?

Last edited by Mindsiege; 08-30-2020 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:58 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 123
PeterRPG PeterRPG
Hi. Only just seen this as I applied for your other game. If I come up with a character could you run with 2 ?

I’ve played 7th edition but in a traditional setting.
Old 09-05-2020, 06:04 PM
Half-Orc Ranger

Tools
User Statistics
I could potentially run this with 2 if you guys wanted to make characters.
Old 09-05-2020, 10:18 PM
Pesky Goblin

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1748
Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe
I have never played Call of Cthulhu but this looks hella dope and I'm willing to learn. Sign me up!