Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 73
Tahril
Quote:
Originally Posted by derpoet View Post
**looks at my planned priority E resources**
Dont forget you can convert up to 10 karma into nuyen at a rate of 1 karma = 2000 nuyen if you need it!

Last edited by Tahril; 09-01-2020 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-01-2020, 03:28 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 376
Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rat Queen View Post
I think you should avoid telling your Shadowrunner buddies (i.e. career criminals generally living at Low lifestyle or less) where you live, or letting them come over.
Now I have visions of two Troll Ganger Rocker boys Bill & Ted coming over to his place, "Party On Dude!"
Old 09-01-2020, 04:09 PM
Archwizard of Flavor Town

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1233
derpoet derpoet derpoet derpoet derpoet derpoet derpoet derpoet derpoet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahril View Post
Dont forget you can convert up to 10 karma into nuyen at a rate of 1 karma = 2000 nuyen if you need it!
Thanks for the tip! I must've missed that when I was reading.
Old 09-01-2020, 06:15 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 56
acgreen
I have to say I’ve never had excess anything when creating a character in Shadowrun, in fact I’m always short in many categories, especially resources and skill points.

Doc wagon contracts have personally seemed wrong for a Shadowrunner. If you screw up and are that badly hurt that doc wagon arrives, you have now painted a giant kick me sign on whatever run you were doing. That kind of publicity seems to be EXACTLY what a Shadowrunner does not want.
Old 09-01-2020, 06:59 PM
The Archfriend.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14278
The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen
Quote:
Originally Posted by acgreen View Post
Doc wagon contracts have personally seemed wrong for a Shadowrunner. If you screw up and are that badly hurt that doc wagon arrives, you have now painted a giant kick me sign on whatever run you were doing. That kind of publicity seems to be EXACTLY what a Shadowrunner does not want.
That's soooo true! The best bet is to make sure you have a skilled healer onboard who also happens to be a medical professional!
Old 09-01-2020, 07:07 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 376
Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko Yamaneko
Quote:
Originally Posted by acgreen View Post
I have to say Iíve never had excess anything when creating a character in Shadowrun, in fact Iím always short in many categories, especially resources and skill points.

There are risks but DocWagon guarantees confidentiality of their client and depending on the contract will fight to pull you out. They have to maintain their professionalism if they want to stay in business.

That said, if you are at the point where DocWagon is called in, the run's already been blown.

But this also why one maintains a good street doc on the side and with luck also has a decent medic/magician combo on the team. It allows one to stay under the radar unless you are dying and there is no way to get you to the street clinic in time.

DW saved our butts on more than one occasion in earlier editions. Though it was also far better defined in earlier editions what they would do for their clients who were in need. From 4th on though there has been a trend away from the ubiquitous contract that used to be a staple of the editions prior.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:51 PM
Descent Gaming Bradenton

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1381
TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG
Quote:
That's soooo true! The best bet is to make sure you have a skilled healer onboard who also happens to be a medical professional!
I've never thought of that!
Old 09-01-2020, 07:54 PM
CommSupp/Kitsunemimi

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 283
Alyfox Alyfox Alyfox
Thats why I pretty much never get a docwagon or crashcart contract for my characters... its just seems like it will cause too many problems. Also, they can't go onto AA or AAA territory due to extra-territoriality laws, so.. if you're downed in an Shiawase building (for example) you're still screwed
Old 09-01-2020, 07:55 PM
CommSupp/Kitsunemimi

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 283
Alyfox Alyfox Alyfox
Quote:
You've got a 30k/month lifestyle??
IIRC in 5th edition things like DocWagon and matrix subscription stuff add their costs to lifestyle
Old 09-01-2020, 11:09 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 56
acgreen
I always thought of doc wagon as more of an npc component of Shadowrun, than a pc option. When I read the books and ran games, doc wagon was something players needed to consider when enforcing an employment arrangement rather than a personal solution to getting themselves shot. To each their own interpretation
Old 09-02-2020, 01:31 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15857
Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre
Personally I'm also steering clear of DocWagon contracts. Mainly because the current (read 3E, 4E and 5E) descriptions do not say anything about confidentiality. Sure, they save your hoop and go into high danger situations. And, oh, they'll probably keep your tissue samples save. But it says nowhere that they won't answer questions of law enforcement or from corporations.

Then again, if in doubt talk with the GM how they would handle things in their version of the universe. (And, while googling stuff for this, I learned that I might wanna read "DocWagon 19" to get a better idea about them then the few paragraphs in the item purchase part of the rule books.)
Old 09-02-2020, 05:10 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 301
Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf Preacherwolf
I can see an argument for having a doc wagon contract. On an actual run, it'll probably cause issues and won't be worth it. But what about everything before/after that? A bad meet, a random paracritter attack, a retalitory strike from a group after a job, you live in the Redmond Barrens, a decker hitting some black IC, or you took something like the tough and targeted quality and you know for well someone is going to be gunning for you on the streets. I don't think you need anything like super platnium but its an extra level of protection on the street if not a run
Old 09-02-2020, 09:58 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 855
orichulum orichulum orichulum orichulum orichulum orichulum orichulum
Oh wow, i really wish I had seen this before! I will try to get some semblance of a character put together within the next couple of days, but it will be tight.
Old 09-02-2020, 11:36 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 855
orichulum orichulum orichulum orichulum orichulum orichulum orichulum
Application Format
right-aligned image

Character Name: Sable
Metatype: Elf
Archtype: Brawler / Combat Mage
Physical Description: Sable is a young and saucy elven teen from the slums who is branching out from a strict and religious upbringing and learning to live a little. Keeping to her name, she has straight black hair which has been cut short and is normally magically styled to match her current clothes. Sable is in peak physical conditioning and is a bit more robust in figure than many other elves. Her clothes tend to be on the wild side, influenced by the rave scene, but she knows how to dress down if it's called for. She doesn't have any permanent tattoos yet, but given the crowd that she's been running with its only a matter of time before she's officially inducted into the Ancients.
Personality: Young and impetuous, Sable is bursting forth from a spartan upbringing and indulging in life. Her self confidence and youthful bravado make her quick to act, and she isn't shy about it. She's more inclined to throw her weight around than negotiate with others, and is probably going to be the first to throw a punch (and she's used to one punch being enough). Behind the bold attitude and bright colors Sable still has a gentle side and is moved to action more to protect her family and kin than to tear someone else down. With some training and effort she could be groomed for the corporate world, but she has little interest in being a part of that world.
Backstory: Sable was raised by her mother in an elven ghetto. It was a strict and religious household that smelled of herbs and incense, with a shelf full of magic books and few if any of the modern distractions such as trideo. Sable was only allowed to eat meat if she herself killed and cleaned the animal, otherwise they ate fresh fruits and vegetables from the community garden. Between the exercise in the gardens and the martial training that her mother insisted on, Sable grew up wholesome and fit with a close relationship with her mother. However, as she grew into her teens and began to run with the local gangs, buying into the idea that the Ancients were protecting the elven slums and she wanted to be a part of that - to protect her mother. This new lifestyle put a strain on the household however, and Sable began spending more and more time "out" with the gang and her new boyfriend. Eventually the topic of joining the gang came up, but rather than proving her loyalty to the group, she would have to demonstrate her capabilities to contribute - what better way than by joining a run?

RP Sample:
The music was bumping and the crowds surged in rhythm as the lights danced around them. Sable found herself lost in the moment as she gave in to the music and drugs thrummed through her head and a light bead of sweat from constant dancing glittered across her skin. A deep voice coming from behind broke her trance and she paused for a moment, only lightly keeping to the music as the words registered in her mind. "Hey, hows my favorite little knifear doing?" If anyone else had said that to her, they'd be picking up their teeth off the floor, but she recognized the voice and turned around to throw a hug around her best friend - they had gone through grade school together and looked after each other's backs. "Look at this trog, dressing sharper than ever?" she replied, pulling away from the orc. "Hey Sable, think you could hook me and the fellows up with some of that sparkle bliss?" He said, thumbing back to a group of orcs and a troll piling into the dance floor, his expression clear that he's looking to make a good impression. She looks them up and down and pats him on the shoulder "For you? Sure-" With that she channeled and cast Opium Den on the lot, sending them to an altered state.

Then from the edge of the crowd she hears "Hey meta, keep your filthy magic to yourself eh?" Of course coming from a group of humans. Sable turns to face the source of the complaint to see a group from the corporate enclaves out 'slumming' it up. She puts her hands on her hips and those in the crowd which lucid enough to pay attention began to part like a biblical sea. "Excuse me? You corp kids lost? The Humanis meeting is down the way in the landfill" She said gesturing with her thumb that they should leave. The man stands up and faces the elf down, "No, we're good here. Just trying to keep the club clean - of filth." The two stared each other down for a moment before trying to bring up a counterspell defense expecting the elf to attack with magic. His efforts were interrupted by Sable's fist connecting with his face at lightening speed; once, twice, three times each with a flash of magic on impact. Before anyone could blink Sable was kneeling over the corp while channeling her rage through a series of blows. Finally her friend pulls Sable away - her fists still swinging in the air. She struggles in his grip for a moment before shouting a string of curses in Spetherial "Get out of here and take that with you - you've worn out you're welcome." She gestures to the bloodied human still on the floor as she finally breaks free of the orc's grip.

Rumors
Rumor A: Her estranged father is a Paladin in Tir Tairngire.
Rumor B: Sable sometimes blanks out under high stress, and speaks of strange events and places when she wakes up.
Rumor C: She was raised by her single mother in a strict adherence to the Path of the Wheel, including diet, education, and a 'forgotten' mixed blend of magic and combat arts.
Rumor D: Sable killed some orc boy with a single punch after he goosed her, but nobody found a body.
Rumor E: Secretly Sable practices an elven variant of Black Magic rather than Path of the Wheel.
Rumor F: Sable has enchanted her boyfriend and local leader of the Ancients chapter.
Rumor G: Sable and her mother sacrifice animals for blood rituals.

Other Thoughts
I really wanted to use magic to compliment unarmed combat. She will use unarmed to deliver overcasted touch spells and then telegraph punches and kicks across the room with the ranged spell Clout. Sable will flit about the combat space throwing punches and kicks as she closes in before finally landing a brutal strike when face to face with her opponent. Guard in the way? Punch the guard. Lock in the way? Punch the Lock! Rather than the normal face skills, I gave her Intimidate, so that she could compliment a proper face and serve as a bodyguard.

What kinds of runs interest you / your character:
The perfect run for me would be mirror shades in, and pink mohawk out after the perfect plan goes awry. I like some good intrigue that really allows the players to explore the unique setting but also stays faithful to the cyberpunk roots.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sable.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	86673  

Last edited by orichulum; 09-05-2020 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-03-2020, 03:38 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1379
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19
This game has me feeling a bit dumb. I think my biggest hurdle is that I don't know what I should be prioritizing (as a decker) for stats, gear, etc.