Story The Intergalactic Slug - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Mutants & Masterminds > Heroes of Unity City > Miscellaneous
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2017, 06:59 PM
Their our know rools!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6536
gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages
Wow. Okay. Maybe you ought to work that up into some kind of application sheet or something. Alayna chuckles. Let me see... No conditions... Well. I guess full retrograde amnesia is something of note. She shrugs at this. I don't think there's any health issues involved in what I can do. Umm... The young woman reconsiders. I'm not sure how it works, but I can mend, or rejuvenate... Fix, basically... Cuts and bruises and the like, just by thinking about it. Might be useful to help a doctor.

Alayna considers carefully when asked about attire. I don't have any 'gear', and as for like a uniform... I'm not sure. I mean, I'm not going to be flying around punching people or hurling thunderbolts or anything. Generally I'll be finding things out and talking to people. A mask and secret identity may not engender the kind of trust you need to develop for that sort of thing.

Last edited by gravenimages; Dec 11th, 2017 at 07:00 PM.
Old Dec 12th, 2017, 12:07 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3123
bagginses bagginses bagginses bagginses bagginses bagginses bagginses bagginses bagginses bagginses bagginses
"And we certainly don't want a mask covering that pretty face of yours. Now that would be a real crime." Lincoln smiles at Alayna before turning to Melissa.

"I have a slight allergy to aspirin. My throat gets all scratchy. I think that's about it." He pauses as he considers. "Oh, I gotta stay away from those bean burritos or it's Chernobyl." He shrugs and chuckles. "Otherwise, I'm as healthy as a horse, fit as a fiddle, sound as a bell... well, you get the picture. No physicals for me."

"As far as an outfit... maybe something temperature-resistant might be good, but I don't really need anything special for my powers. Oh yeah, my powers are cold-related." He forms a snowball in his hand and tosses it at Josef. "I have something I whipped up that has some basic kevlar for protection but if you can offer something better, that'd be welcome. And in dark blue and black -- those are my signature colors." He grins again. "Oh, and if you have any cool gadgets? Like a secret decoder ring or X-ray glasses? Laser pens? Silly string?"
Old Dec 12th, 2017, 08:50 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2399
Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker
Beth sat down in a chair, watching the others speak. Her head swam slightly, and she occasionally turned in her seat to admire the enormous underground lair once again. Whenever she caught herself, however, she turned back to the conversation, trying to look interested - which she was, really, honestly - without attracting too much attention.

You're a cheap drunk, Beth, a voice whispered in her head. You're drunk. Everyone can see it. They're too polite to call attention to it, but you've blown your first impression. What were you thinking?

Beth patiently awaited her turn to speak, letting a few extra seconds tick by to make sure she wasn't interrupting anyone before leaning forward in her chair. "I'm allergic to birch pollen, but I only get sneezy, not anaphylactic or anything. No big health problems. If it helps, I'm up on all of my inoculations recommended for people traveling to the Middle East. I'm far-sighted, but not seriously, I can usually still read a paper up close if the text is large enough, it's just a strain after - well, anyway. Far-sighted."

None of them can trust you now. As if any of them wanted to work with you in the first place. I get big. You're out of your league. Raymond only showed you down here to be polite. Don't expect them to call any time soon.

"I've never had a...a super-physical, though. I never even discussed it with a doctor, so yes, that's a good idea. I would like a suit, and a mask, but I don't need any special materials. When I get big - by the way, I grow to sixty feet tall, I probably should have set that before - my clothes grow with me. But it would be good to have something, uh, like this - "

Beth clapped her hands on her upper arms, referring to her red-and-white jacket. Why are you wasting everyone's time? Just disengage. Excuse yourself. Let the real superheroes talk shop in private.

" - something that catches the eye. I'm going to be pretty noticeable anyway, might as well double down, eh?" Beth forced a chuckle. "Just...I mean, I've seen footage of the Event, and some of those suits...I'm saying, maybe not, quite, skintight. You know what I mean. I'm not twenty-one anymore."
Old Dec 13th, 2017, 09:54 AM
Lord of the Dork Side

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6049
darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon
Melissa Michigan
right-aligned image
Melissa writes quickly as you answer her questions, occasionally responding to your remarks. "You're not wrong, Alayna," Melissa admits, "wearing a mask certainly doesn't inspire trust. But trust me, getting identified is far worse. If the police don't come for you, the criminals will, and the press will be all over you regardless. You might think you can handle it, and maybe you can. But if they can't get to you directly, they'll get to you through your family and friends. Its not just about protecting yourself, its about protecting those closest to you. If nothing else, you'll want something that identifies you as a member of our team, especially if we want to look like a unified front rather than a bunch of random nobodies."

She puts the pen down for a moment, contemplating ideas. "that said, if you're truly against the idea of a mask, there are certainly other alternatives. a convincing wig, some colored contacts, a bit of makeup, and a combination of cleverly placed padding and bindings, and we can make you look like an entirely person despite having a completely visible face." She looks you up and down twice before adding, "perhaps with a greater emphasis on the padding rather than the bindings. In any case, I'm sure Dr. Song will be appreciative of some help in the infirmary, especially on busy nights."

"Lucky," Colleen grumbles, "I can't even imagine the things I'd do if I could just magically seal wounds. All I can do is make mirages."

Melissa ignores Colleen as she turns her attention towards Lincoln. "I'll make a note to stock up on acetaminophen instead then. And to avoid ordering Mexican food. Kevlar might be more difficult to acquire, but if you have it with you, I could probably have something designed to be worn with or over at least. In dark blue and black" When he throws the snowball, Josef is startled, and ducks as it flies towards his head. Once he realizes it is harmless, he chuckles nervously. This, followed by Lincoln's silly comments on gear, prompt a stern gaze from Melissa. "Lincoln, I don't know what manner of household you were raised in, but in this building I expect our guests to be better than that. If you're going to throw something, don't miss." Her face softens immensely as her smile returns.

Finally, she turns to Beth. "I can get some antihistamine if allergies become a problem-what infirmary doesn't stock at least a few of the basics?" She sighs as Beth explains her powers. "I sure wish I had clothing that resized themselves every time I grew, though recently the only way I seem to be growing is out." Her faint smile turns into a large grin as Beth finished, her gaze briefly turning to the others as she did so. "See? She gets it. If you're going to be doing what you're doing, you might as well look good doing it! Red and white it is, and don't worry, I'll make sure whatever you get is nothing but flattering, though if you ask me you're too hard on yourself if you think you need much flattering."

Once she has everything she needs, she closes the book and puts it away. "Well then, I think that's all I need. What about all you? I highly doubt any of you have done this before, at least not seriously. Have any questions I can answer, or anything else you think we should know? Raymond should be back soon if you have any questions or comments for him as well. If not, you're free to head home or make yourself at home at your discretion. And I'm sorry if this felt a bit too much like a job interview, but the more information we have, the more we can help you, and vice versa."
Old Dec 13th, 2017, 04:46 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
bagginses bagginses bagginses bagginses bagginses bagginses bagginses bagginses bagginses bagginses bagginses
Lincoln looks at Melissa. "So no cool gadgets, huh?" He sighs theatrically before grinning cheerfully. "Can't blame a guy for asking. And I wasn't trying to miss with the snowball. Josef is just really good at dodging. Maybe that's a super ability of his that he's kept hidden from you." He chuckles and gives Josef a wink even though he realizes the man probably did not understand anything he said.

He shifts in the leather armchair to look at everyone. "Well, now that we have a headquarters or whatever, we should make use of it. It sounds like none of us are rich enough to just lounge around here all day so we should set a regular time to meet to discuss stuff or whatever superteams do. Since a number of us are employed in the food service industry, I'm thinking mornings work best. Tuesdays and Thursdays are my late days at work but I can shift my schedule around if that doesn't work. We'll wait for Raymond before settling anything, but how does that sound for you? Alayna? Beth?"

He looks at Beth more closely. "Are you okay, Beth? Not that I know you that well, but you seem a little out of it?"
Old Dec 13th, 2017, 09:00 PM
Their our know rools!

Tools
User Statistics
gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages
Alayna looks a little taken aback by Melissa's description of likely events... Things just got a bit more real and personal. Okay. You're right. I guess I need to start thinking about things like that. She gives a few moments of thought. I think the mask is a better idea than some kind of elaborate disguise. I mean, if I look the same every time... Even with a mask... Probably more trustworthy once word gets out.

The young woman gives a small smile at Lincoln's antics, but he makes a good point about meeting. I can do most mornings if I know about it ahead of time she confirms, looking to Beth as the man calls attention to her.
Old Dec 13th, 2017, 11:32 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2399
Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker Snicker
That's your cue to leave, Beth.

"I'm fine," Beth said, smiling thinly at Lincoln. "Sorry. I'm just still distracted a little bit by everything. I mean, by this place, specifically! When I came here, I never thought I'd see something like this. I thought we'd be lucky to get some chairs around a table in someone's back room.

"Speaking of which, my schedule is kind of all over the place. I teach at Eberhardt, and believe me, I didn't choose my class times."
Beth forced another chuckle, then reached into her jacket's pocket. "Actually, it'd probably be easier for me to just send you my schedule. Then you'll have my phone number in case you need to call me."

That's good, Beth. Put it on them to call you. Then you don't have to hear them tell you you're not good enough. They can just never talk to you again.

She looked over at Melissa. "I do have a question. If you could go back to before you started this, and give your younger self some advice, what would it be?"
Old Dec 14th, 2017, 10:50 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Lincoln pulls out his phone with its Chicago Cubs case. "Yes, I suppose if we don't have cool communicator rings... " He shakes his head dramatically with a frown. "... we should share phone numbers. Set up a group text or something." He brightens up with a goofy grin. "Ooh, we should come up with a cool group text name, but not too obvious in case a supervillain gets a hold of our phone or something." He taps a finger on his chin and looks thoughtful. "How about SlugBug? Fantastic Four? TMNT?"
Old Dec 14th, 2017, 11:50 PM
Lord of the Dork Side

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6049
darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon darthcharon
Raymond and Melissa Michigan
left-aligned image
right-aligned image
"Never say never, Lincoln," she says with a smile. She pulls up her phone, and after a few moments, shows you the screen. On it is a pair of invoices, one for a large amount of construction equipment and materials, the other for enough science equipment to make a science college turn green with envy. "As you might have figured out, logistics is my area of expertise, so I decided that if we were going to be expanding our ranks, it only made sense to start expanding our resources. Of course, these were just ordered it, so it will be some time before it arrives, and even then it will need to be put together, but who knows? Sometime down the line, our Russian friend might be able to make you some helpful gear. Even silly string."

To Alayna, she nods lightly. "I'm glad you're coming around to the idea. Perhaps some day we'll earn the respect and recognition from the world that will render the masks unnecessary, but until then, our own safety, and the safety of our friends and family, needs to come first. But as long as you're wearing a mask, might as well have some fun with it, right? I'll have my tailor friend come up with some designs if you're unsure, but do you at least have a color scheme to get me started? Maybe some imagery you'd like? If you're going to wear it, you may as well like it."

Raymond returns holding a small platter of buffalo wings just as Beth asks her questions. Melissa gives Raymond a knowing smile, before responding. "Advice for my younger self? That's easy. Life is hard enough when you've got friends by your side, going at it alone is damn near impossible. Don't be afraid to make friends, and don't be afraid to ask those friends for help. Sometimes you'll be burned by someone taking advantage of your trust, but more often than not, you'll find an ally. The good in the universe far outweighs the bad."

Raymond raises an eyebrow. "Was that advice directed at myself or Beth?"

With a shrug, Melissa replies, "Its just generally good advice, I think."
Old Dec 15th, 2017, 07:27 PM
Their our know rools!

Tools
User Statistics
Maybe... Black outfit, white rose kind of airbrushed Her hands gesture from head to about mid thigh. Extending over the mask and outfit. White accents where his are blue... Alayna nods to Lincoln So we'll kind of... Match.
Old Dec 19th, 2017, 05:49 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
"Kind of match is cool. But wearing exactly matching outfits like those couples who think they're so cute -- nope, definitely not that. Not that we're a couple, of course..." Lincoln chuckles cheerfully. "What I mean to say is it'd be nice if we all kind of had similar outfits but not exactly the same. So they can tell we're a team but not clones."

He turns to Raymond. "Anyway, Raymond, we were talking about setting up a time to meet here regularly. We're looking at mornings but it'd have to fit around Beth's class schedule. I think the rest of us are a bit more flexible if we know ahead of time."
Closed Thread