twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jul 1st, 2015, 12:14 AM
Quirky JRPG Guy

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 805
thargent thargent thargent thargent thargent thargent thargent
Uh... If you are playing a barbarian, don't spend all your rounds of rage during an uneventful day in a backwoods town that is behind on taxes. Like, to ragingly compete in festival games, or to ragingly curbstomp some dork's pet stirge. And if the rest of the party leaves you behind to guard the entrance to a suspicious mansion, don't let them.
Old Jul 3rd, 2015, 12:27 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
AlienLemonade
A long, long time ago, in my first pathfinder game, I was playing a half-orc fighter with a couple marbles missing. He had a horse named Thompson. He also had an apple that regenerated whenever someone took a bite out of it. Endless horse food, right? Turns out it was also addictive. My horse ate and ate, literally until it died. Not exactly a character death, but a stupid one all the same.
Old Jul 25th, 2015, 01:33 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
ryrygy
While playing a home brew game with my fam the party went in to some ruins and we heard a loud vice telling us to bow before him. My character being the war crazed fighter he is starts taunting the voice. The voice sent hordes of squirrels and a few turns later we all died and my sis is still pissed about it today.
Old Sep 17th, 2015, 08:10 PM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 45
KohgnaK
5 or 6 years ago, first campaign for my new players, second for me as DM.

One of our players couldn't attend any more so we got a remaining player's friend to fill the gap. This guy was unbearable.
He was always trying to push my boundaries and played with my players patience, like putting them in trouble or going for the opposite of what's been long debated on.
But always in a way that any retaliation from myself would sound unjustified, "breaking the universe" or a way for him to complain.

Anyway, at some point the party decided to relax in a small town's Inn after a rather intense dungeon crawling session. That's when he decided to go on his own "visit" the biggest mansion in the area -being a rogue there was some logic into it. Except that the party just agreed to keep a low profile as the town was heavily guarded due to recent tragic events. Told the rogue-player to go in another room (as they are not in the same physical location any more); that's when all of the players started ranting about the guy and how they want him out. I replied: "GM helps those who help themselves". Left my players scratching their heads.

Fast forward, the other idiot got in trouble as said mansion belonged to the local wealthy landlord that doubled as mayor. He barely made it out alive, lost the bag containing most of his possessions and got an arrow in the knee in the bum. He went back to the party begging for their help, they mostly ignored him. Wasn't luckier with the nearby herborist who refused to serve him as he suspiciously looked like the thief the guards were looking for.

Came back crawling to the other players, that's when the party's dwarf sold him a health potion for around 500% the price it was worth. Did not take long for the rogue to find out he got tricked into buying a colored flask only containing water the dwarf has been filling during his absence. Our troublemaker got all angry but calmed down as least twice as fast when said dwarf and his barbarian BFF were looking at him with weird smiles.

Unfortunately this was enough to attract a guard who recognized him and quickly accused the whole party of being accomplices and the innkeeper of hosting illegal activities. Party's wizard explained they did not know the rogue in question, said he even stole a potion from them and assured the guard they did not move for the whole afternoon. Innkeeper being quoted as a eye-witness. Seeing an opportunity to come out clean, the humble man obviously confirmed everything.

The betrayed rogue tried to flee but due to his wound couldn't dodge a guard cudgel blow, destabilizing him just enough to make him fall down the stairs in the middle of the street. Failed reflexes dice roll. Got hit by a 4-horses carriage. Ended up head facing the ground, stunned, behind the horses attached in front of the tavern. Guard left him here and went reporting to his superior thinking only about his promotion. In the meantime, Rogue failed miserably another roll and thus did not manage to avoid the MASSIVE dung one of the horse dropped on his head.

Rogue-player started boiling with rage since absolutely no other PC went to check on him. The guard came back announcing to the party the scum rogue had died. Dwarf commented "with such a hit on the head no wonders". Guard replied : "He was just stunned when I left. He actually died of horse **** suffocation". Rogue player rage quitted, PCs had a blast and celebrated in the tavern till the early morning.

Last edited by KohgnaK; Sep 17th, 2015 at 08:11 PM.
Old May 14th, 2016, 07:23 AM
Haroog!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22881
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
Worst death I ever had: April 1983, AD&D game. I had just read The Ecology of the Piercer in Dragon magazine (which was actually the first ecology article Dragon ever ran), and was talking to the other players about how cool the article was and how there was a cross section drawing and it really helped me understand the monster. That session - that freaking session - I get killed when two piercers land on my character while he's sneaking up on a band of camped out orcs. "So..." said the party wizard "you really understand those things, huh?"

Worst death of someone else I ever saw: Also AD&D, also the early 1980s. Ten minutes into playing Tomb of Horrors, the thief... (Spoiler for Tomb of Horrors follows)

Old Jun 20th, 2016, 07:34 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
TGB TGB
Most embarrassing death was also the most awesome death for me, it was a superhero game, my character did a jetpack-assisted suplex on a nuclear-powered foe.
Old Dec 7th, 2016, 12:27 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 92
Ozone20
Ah. Was looking for this thread.
As a newbie this will be my second post.

Let's see..... ah!

In a homebrew campaign, I, a rogue/psioniscist (At the time, functionally identical to a wizard with only minor illusion and a homebrew telekinetic spell) was teamed with a cleric and a warforged fighter to protect a princess.

Apparently, said princess was demonic in some manner.
The DM said that the cleric became possessed by his God and tried to kill the princess.

My character managed to engage him in combat for several rounds before finally trying to use his grapple hook to tie him up.

'Whew. That was clo-' the cleric killed all of us with thunderwave (again, his homebrew clerics had that spell, and severely souped up apparently) including himself.

Indeed, a holy and noble god killed his own cleric.

Although that might have been intentional. DM dropped a hint that the princess was still alive.

And now my character was revived as a revenant (undead being) full psioniscist. Can't wait to see what he has up his sleeve next

Last edited by Ozone20; Dec 7th, 2016 at 12:30 PM. Reason: I felt that it was unclear that the cleric's god had killed his own cleric
Old Mar 22nd, 2017, 01:41 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9449
Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby
Not sure if NPC deaths count, but I ran a game where my group found a room in a dungeon with a dragon skeleton crammed in it. They had to hack their way through to get to the door on the far wall. After about an hour of hacking, they found a human skeleton crushed beneath the dragon skeleton. He was holding a broken wand labeled "wand of dragon summoning".
Old Mar 26th, 2017, 01:16 AM
A legend in my spare time
Artist in Residence

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6231
GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror
My badass 1e fighter confronts an evil cleric. Said evil cleric goes first. He casts a reversed necromantic spell--Raise Dead becomes Slay Living--then touches me with one finger. I roll a 1 on the saving throw and die instantly, killed by a pinky.
Cover Artist: Explosive Runes #25

Last edited by GallupsMirror; Mar 26th, 2017 at 01:17 AM.
Old Mar 30th, 2017, 02:10 PM
LͫOͤRͫDͤ

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4628
Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus
So, some of my friends do this kind of DnD "Test-Run" Arena (3.5e, 5e, and Pathfinder), and since I'm somewhat new I decided to toss in a character I was creating for a different campaign (3.5e).

I was a Ghost Psion with top-notch telekinetics. I had created the ultimate telekinesis build, capable of using Thrust on things weighting a couple tons. I was also the party's main diplomat, since I had high Charisma. Life was good.

Sooo...

DM has us in this new city that's on the edge of an empire. I'm using an item that allows me to be fully manifested (physical) instead of incorporeal since I was doing diplomacy. I convince the leader of the city to make me and my party the new nobles if we can save them from the next invasion attempt from the nearby orcs that was on its way.

That afternoon, the orcs invade the city, and as usual I run close to the fray and pick up this huge piece of rock to hurl at the enemy. After I pick it up, I get attacked by an Orc sorcerer. I roll a concentration check.

I fail.

I drop my boulder.

I was still physically manifested.

Because I was a ghost I did come back later, but still...that was really embarrassing.
Old Jul 15th, 2021, 07:01 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 129
Stranger Things Stranger Things
First session for my gnome sorcerer in a steampunk fantasy game. The airship we were on got attacked by a fleet of other airships, and at one point my gnome thought it a good idea to jump over to an adjacent enemy ship to set it on fire.

...and fell to his death because most of the fleet was an illusion and none of the PCs caught on to it. Most short lived guy ever.
Old Jul 31st, 2021, 02:16 AM
Descent Gaming Bradenton

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1941
TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG
This is a recent one. In Curse of Strahd, my character was killed by an animated broom. However, the DM says that in Barovia, death is NOT an escape. My body was dead, my spirit remained. My cantrip, and my spell, attacked the psyche, not the body.

One of the players became unconscious. Literally because I wanted to HELP the player, I asked the DM if it was possible to possess his character. That character failed the saving throw (plus I had a very high charisma), and was possessed by my character. As time went on, I had a thought, we lost a player. Didn't show up after the second session, and the DM was running him as an NPC--when he remembered to. I said, "Hey, what if I possess that character instead? That might make more practical gameplay sense." He rolled for it, and it was done. I was now possessing a paladin instead of a barbarian.
Old Aug 10th, 2021, 04:45 PM
Occasional Otyugh

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4978
Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach
I had a wizard fall off a cliff once. I'm still kinda sore about it.
Icereach#8108 | Gost, a campaign setting | The House of Ejlvajn, a module compilation
Old Sep 2nd, 2021, 10:21 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 179
BarrowB BarrowB
DnD 5e, all new players

Party wasted all their healing spells, trying to tame one of the monsters attacking the village.
So... one of the characters bled out under the tavern table, while his friends kept trying to feed candies to the monster.
Old Sep 2nd, 2021, 02:40 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17659
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrowB View Post
DnD 5e, all new players

Party wasted all their healing spells, trying to tame one of the monsters attacking the village.
So... one of the characters bled out under the tavern table, while his friends kept trying to feed candies to the monster.
lol

"There are many fates worse than a quick and foolish death."

Sun - Thu: Normal / Fri & Sat: Usually Unavailable